PDA

View Full Version : Corvette Wins at Mosport!

wedge
31st August 2009, 00:11
Woooh!!!

What a finish, what a way to get the first win in GT2!

Great driving, even from Pagenaud who didn't force the issue and spoil the fight.

Easy Drifter
31st August 2009, 03:09
A nice first win for the Vettes. They do seem to play a little rough though.
I watched from the top of 2 and often used binoculars to watch the entrance to 3. With no personal radio I could not hear much of the commentary but I suspect the air was blue from the P1/2 fast cars about the drivers of the Vettes. Going into 3 umpteen times the Vettes just f---d up the P1/2 cars and at times influenced dices. All the other GT cars tried to get out of the way, although not always in time. The Vettes just did not seem to care.
To this old f--t the closing speeds between the fast P1/2 cars and the Gt's was absolutely frightening.
I thought it was bad when I raced and had Lolas and McLaren's closing on me at 50 mph faster but this is unreal. :eek:

Mark in Oshawa
31st August 2009, 13:53
A nice first win for the Vettes. They do seem to play a little rough though.
I watched from the top of 2 and often used binoculars to watch the entrance to 3. With no personal radio I could not hear much of the commentary but I suspect the air was blue from the P1/2 fast cars about the drivers of the Vettes. Going into 3 umpteen times the Vettes just f---d up the P1/2 cars and at times influenced dices. All the other GT cars tried to get out of the way, although not always in time. The Vettes just did not seem to care.
To this old f--t the closing speeds between the fast P1/2 cars and the Gt's was absolutely frightening.
I thought it was bad when I raced and had Lolas and McLaren's closing on me at 50 mph faster but this is unreal. :eek:

That's GT racing in IMSA tho drifter. The P1 and P2's are so much faster than the GT's yet they are on the same track. So deal with it. The Vette guys are also used to their old GT1 mounts which didn't lose a lot in straightaway speed to the p1's.

It is part of the game. It is one reason the Grand AM series DP's are able to race so much closer, because they don't have the speed differential with the slower GT classes.

Easy Drifter
31st August 2009, 16:42
I knew the speed differential was great but actually seeing it was something. I was at 3 on Fri. and Sat. but parking up there was a zoo on Sat. so I went to 2 on Sun. There is always a hole to park in if you are brave enough to drive up the dirt trails into the trees! Most people won't.
Bruce Jensen (Yes the old Atlantic driver) joined me for a while and even he commented on the closing speeds and he has seen the ALMS cars quite often. He is running the BMW Jr. team for Eric.
Eric said he came out of retirement as a driver just to put another Atlantic car on the track.
Bruce at 67 is stilll racing in Fla. in a 2000 Van Diemen and winning! In the mid 70's Bruce was as quick as anybody. Best finnish was 2nd at Edmonton in 74 but top fives normal.

the bro
31st August 2009, 19:26
The closing speed between the classes is insane, but that is one of the things that makes ALMS so cool. Awesome race, I happened to be at turn 3 for the last hour. Corvette vs Ferrari wheel to wheel banging all through the turn, until the Ferrari hit the grass. The Vette was on cold tires having just come out of the pits.

Most of the cars seemed to have problems with cold tires coming out of the pits, pretty cold day for August. You would see GT cars passing P1 cars after they had come out of the pits.

Camping weather could have been better, but a good weekend all round.

Easy Drifter
1st September 2009, 01:04
Wierd weather even for Mosport! I was glad I moteled it. Besides I didn't have to cook or eat Mosport food, although it is not bad now.
I spent Fri. and Sat. at 3 and Sun. at top of 2. With my bad knees I can't walk very well and can only stand in one spot for about 5 minutes so I go where I can sit and then stay put.
After the parking zoo at 3 on Sat. I expected Sun. would be impossible and knew I could find a spot in the trees in 2.