PDA

View Full Version : MW is spent

jslone
20th February 2007, 06:12
He just looks worn out on Inside NExtel Cup,he just has no emotion after the week he has been through.

RaceFanStan
20th February 2007, 07:05
Michael Waltrip has been labeled a cheater.
However I am convinced Michael knew nothing about it.
I think it was an eager-to-succeed crewchief that created the whole mess.
Don't be surprised to hear that Michael Waltrip Racing fires someone in the near future.

(and it WON'T be Michael !) http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

NASCARWidow
20th February 2007, 14:24
Michael has very little reason to celebrate. Yes his 3 teams all made the 500 but 1 had to use a PC provisional and another is labeled as a cheater. Now he has to go to California and face the Toyota powers that be. That has to be a scary prospect after what happened at Daytona.

Old3Fan
20th February 2007, 14:45
Its his organization. He is the boss. He is the leader. Leaders take responsibility and action. He needs to find out exactly what happened before California and do some firing quick. The scar is there and will never leave. He can mitigate it a little by quick action this week but Toyota will drop him like a hot potato if this doesn't die down NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

harvick#1
20th February 2007, 15:12
he still needs to make up 27 points to get back to zero :p :

Toyota completely backed the wrong team from the get-go. they really thought Mikey Waltrip Racing is gonna take off.

Sparky1329
20th February 2007, 17:00
Mikey deserves an Academy Award for his performance. He's as phony as a three dollar bill. IMHO of course.

BenRoethig
20th February 2007, 18:17
he still needs to make up 27 points to get back to zero :p :

Toyota completely backed the wrong team from the get-go. they really thought Mikey Waltrip Racing is gonna take off.

The right teams would have nothing to do with Toyota. Red Bull, MWR, and BDR were the ones who would sign on the dotted line. The only way they're going to get more is if they buy Chrysler.

BenRoethig
20th February 2007, 18:23
Don't be surprised to hear that Michael Waltrip Racing fires someone in the near future.

(and it WON'T be Michael !) http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

I wouldn't be so sure of that. He's going to find out that running a multi-car cup team and driving don't go together all too well. The only way I see this working is if Mikey talks Cal Wells into taking over the day to day operations.

tstran17_88
20th February 2007, 19:29
Now he has to go to California and face the Toyota powers that be. That has to be a scary prospect after what happened at Daytona.Still has to be better than what Team Red Bull is going through not making the race with either of their Toyotas.

harvick#1
20th February 2007, 19:32
yet both Red Bull racing drivers are still ahead of Mikey in the standings :laugh:

tstran17_88
20th February 2007, 19:34
Only by 27 points though...

:laugh:

Jonesi
20th February 2007, 19:42
The right teams would have nothing to do with Toyota. Red Bull, MWR, and BDR were the ones who would sign on the dotted line. The only way they're going to get more is if they buy Chrysler.

The right teams were PAID well not to go to Toyota in the form of extended long term contracts with their manufacturers. Also the top teams have less to gain and a lot more to loose, so realistically only the mid pack or lower are willing to consider a switch (not counting startups).

Jonesi
20th February 2007, 19:44
yet both Red Bull racing drivers are still ahead of Mikey in the standings :laugh:

We are all ahead of Mikey in the standings! :-)

Cindy_AL
20th February 2007, 20:04
Mikey deserves an Academy Award for his performance. He's as phony as a three dollar bill. IMHO of course.

Thats what I was thinking when he was being interviewed during driver intro's. I cant remember his exact words but he was thanking Toyota for supporting him. Didnt Toyota say this was the first of 3 strikes? I think Toyota is rightfully pis*ed right now and I doubt they will think twice about pulling their support of MWR.

Sparky1329
20th February 2007, 22:47
Thats what I was thinking when he was being interviewed during driver intro's. I cant remember his exact words but he was thanking Toyota for supporting him. Didnt Toyota say this was the first of 3 strikes? I think Toyota is rightfully pis*ed right now and I doubt they will think twice about pulling their support of MWR.

Actually the quote from Toyota was MWR has two strikes out of a possible three. I guess they got two because two company guys got bounced. It was a boatload of bad press that Toyota didn't need. I always call Carl Edwards Eddie Haskell but that nickname fits Mikey too. He is so full of crap.

Erki
21st February 2007, 00:27
I haven't followed the career of Carl Edwards very closely, but can anyone give me a timeline of his offences?

Mark in Oshawa
21st February 2007, 17:27
Erki, Edwards has no offenses. Unlike Mikey....who you either love or hate. I used to like him, but I wonder what he did know about things going on at MWR. Lets face it, the crew chief in question and boys in the shop didn't do this without Mikey not knowing they were working on something. As much as Mikey claims he knew nothing, he should have. Lets understand something. Hyder didn't make these decisions without talking to someone.

If he didn't know about the cheating under the hood, it was selective knowledge. One of those "You guys do what you have to do, and I don't want to know what is going on there so I wont have to lie about what I knew later" things. Let's face it, the Toyota's were not competitive on paper and in testing compared to the other 3 makes, and I think someone got desparate to make sure Mike made the race. The incentive was there, the stakes on this team not making the race were huge, and the outlook wasn't that great. The pressure was on, and if Mike truly had no knowledge of the cheating, then he ought to pay more attention because I am sure Hyder and company didn't try to hide it from him either. They didn't do this behind his back, but they will fall on their sword for this because there is no other options.

Michael should be worn out, without Toyota he is dead meat. He has a ton of money invested in this project, and he cant afford to be put through this financially, yet he is. That said, I don't feel sorry for Mikey at all though, he plays the PR image he is all clean, white bread and wholesome, but the reality is, he will fight scratch and claw his way to the top the same way any of the "bad" guys in the garage will. He shouldn't apolgize for that either by the way, NASCAR is survivial of the fittest, just you have to play by the rules.

jslone
21st February 2007, 18:55
Edwards did get into a couple of drivers,I think Smoke was at least 1,unsure of the rest,but thats what I remember,but as for being caught cheating,your right,I dont think he never did squat,neither did Smoke.

Sparky1329
21st February 2007, 23:50
Edwards is famous for running over fellow competitors instead of passing them. He did it a lot in the CTS. He'd finish in the top ten and the guy he ran over had his car in the hauler. All Mr Ipana Smile would have to say for himself was "I hate it for him.".

The good thing is the Cup guys don't sit back and let snot-nosed rookies run over them. :D

slorydn1
22nd February 2007, 04:46
We are all ahead of Mikey in the standings! :-)

You beat me too it!!! I was gonna say "Even I came out of Daytona with more points than Mikey, and I never even left New Bern, NC!

SOD
22nd February 2007, 05:03
the real cheaters are Toyota. Michael is the sacrificial lamb and he's only 1 strike away from a job in the commentary booth with D-W.

Michael didn't conceal Toyota's cheating very well.

Sparky1329
22nd February 2007, 05:59
You beat me too it!!! I was gonna say "Even I came out of Daytona with more points than Mikey, and I never even left New Bern, NC!

Check out this week's power rankings at the new, "improved" POS nascar.com. Look at who is ranked 21st. W-T-F?

dwboogityfan
22nd February 2007, 14:52
Lol those power rankings have lost all credability. Mikey is 21st despite his week and Elliott Sadler who finished 6th in 500 was strong throughout the last 100 miles drops out. Go figure!

RaceFanStan
22nd February 2007, 15:03
Check out this week's power rankings at the new, "improved" POS nascar.com.
Look at who is ranked 21st. W-T-F?
I gave up on the nascar.com's power rankings a long time ago. :rolleyes: @ nascar.com
It seems to me that it is one reporter's popularity ranking & not related to a driver's performance. :s

Erki
22nd February 2007, 15:43
I only read the power rankings for the jokes. :confused:

Sparky1329
22nd February 2007, 19:14
Then you should be really yukking it up this week, Erki. :D

ms0362
23rd February 2007, 04:29
Don't kid yourself. Mikey knew everything about that rocket fuel. The crew chief and the team manager were the sacrificial lambs. What little slack that was cut was given to him to save a little face for him and Toyota.

Hoss Ghoul
23rd February 2007, 06:26
Waltrip and his team definetly knew what was going on. I'll give Toyota the benefit of the doubt though.

Also, there is no way Toyota is pulling its support from MWR, no matter if they're caught cheating again this year. That was just PR spin.

Perhaps if MWR's performance isn't up to snuff after a couple of season Toyota would leave, but not because of an incident or two like this.

BenRoethig
23rd February 2007, 12:23
Toyota pulling support from MWR would also mean effectively pulling out of Nextel cup.

tstran17_88
23rd February 2007, 19:15
Toyota pulling support from MWR would also mean effectively pulling out of Nextel cup.They would loose their remaining champion's provisionals for one.

Hoss Ghoul
24th February 2007, 00:25
Well, NASCAR has said the Waltrip situation is fully resolved, there will be no further penalties, and they will not disclose what the fuel additive was.

Total BS if you ask me. That additive should be disclosed, no question about it.

I think the fact they are not disclosing the substance lends credibility to those who said Toyota may have known or had a hand in this. Perhaps the additive is one that if revealed could hint at Toyota's complicity in the matter.

Jonesi
24th February 2007, 00:41
Well, NASCAR has said the Waltrip situation is fully resolved, there will be no further penalties, and they will not disclose what the fuel additive was.

Total BS if you ask me. That additive should be disclosed, no question about it.

I think the fact they are not disclosing the substance lends credibility to those who said Toyota may have known or had a hand in this. Perhaps the additive is one that if revealed could hint at Toyota's complicity in the matter.

NONSENSE! Nascar refusing to disclose the additive, gives more credibility to the posibility that the #55 car was sabotaged and Nascar blamed and penalized the victim.

Also there was no way Toyota was involved with it. If they were going to cheat and with only one car, it would have most likely been on the RedBull team. Both of their cars were struggling. On Waltrip's team he had one car running fast enough and Jarrett's Champ Prov.

RaceFanStan
24th February 2007, 00:46
Don't kid yourself. Mikey knew everything about that rocket fuel.
The crew chief and the team manager were the sacrificial lambs .....

Waltrip and his team definetly knew what was going on .....
Gee, you guys are talented ! :rolleyes:
If I believe you, I am amazed that you can read Michael Waltrip's mind ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
You two should get an appointment with Mike Helton or Brian Fance & clean-up NASCAR ! :rolleyes:

Michael said he didn't know, I'll take him at his word. :D
I certainly WON'T call Michael Waltrip a liar. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Hoss Ghoul
24th February 2007, 00:57
Fair enough Stan, I guess Waltrip is a lousy leader, team owner, and business man then. Not much else can be said of him if his employees would cheat under him, then lie about it.

Hoss Ghoul
24th February 2007, 00:58
NONSENSE! Nascar refusing to disclose the additive, gives more credibility to the posibility that the #55 car was sabotaged and Nascar blamed and penalized the victim.

Also there was no way Toyota was involved with it. If they were going to cheat and with only one car, it would have most likely been on the RedBull team. Both of their cars were struggling. On Waltrip's team he had one car running fast enough and Jarrett's Champ Prov.

I'm not saying Toyota knew, just remarking that this does lend more credability to those arguments(as it does your contention). Also, if you were going to cheat to make the race, MW(the point guy of Toyota's operation) is the one you'd want in the show.

tstran17_88
24th February 2007, 05:59
Gee, you guys are talented ! :rolleyes:
If I believe you, I am amazed that you can read Michael Waltrip's mind ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
You two should get an appointment with Mike Helton or Brian Fance & clean-up NASCAR ! :rolleyes:

Michael said he didn't know, I'll take him at his word. :D
I certainly WON'T call Michael Waltrip a liar. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
I don't know Stan...the Waltrips are as good of actors as they are race car drivers. I'm thinking Mikey's tear jerker was a good acting job. Almost as good as the judge in the Anna Nicole Smith case who wants to be the next Judge Judy.

Have you seen all the new Aaron's Dream Machine commercials? They all include Darrell, Mikey and Buzzie's boy, but David hasn't had any speaking parts and it's the Waltrip boys stealing the show. Love 'em & great acting IMO.

Sparky1329
24th February 2007, 18:33
I don't know Stan...the Waltrips are as good of actors as they are race car drivers. I'm thinking Mikey's tear jerker was a good acting job. Almost as good as the judge in the Anna Nicole Smith case who wants to be the next Judge Judy.

Have you seen all the new Aaron's Dream Machine commercials? They all include Darrell, Mikey and Buzzie's boy, but David hasn't had any speaking parts and it's the Waltrip boys stealing the show. Love 'em & great acting IMO.

http://www.boomspeed.com/rockysmom/smileyhighfive.gif

muggle not
25th February 2007, 17:07

This thing is far from over. David Hyder has not talked to anyone except the News-Record of Greensboro. His story "WILL" come out. Supposedly, most of the people in the garage believe that Hyder is being set up as the sacrifical lamb by Michael Waltrip. However, it appears that Hyder is not going to take the blame. Mikey made the mistake of pointing the finger at Hyder instead of keeping his mouth shut and letting the episode dissapear over time as most cheating episodes do.

Sparky1329
25th February 2007, 17:51
This thing is far from over. David Hyder has not talked to anyone except the News-Record of Greensboro. His story "WILL" come out. Supposedly, most of the people in the garage believe that Hyder is being set up as the sacrifical lamb by Michael Waltrip. However, it appears that Hyder is not going to take the blame. Mikey made the mistake of pointing the finger at Hyder instead of keeping his mouth shut and letting the episode dissapear over time as most cheating episodes do.

Leave it to Mikey to keep flapping his lips when he should shut up. He's a real piece of work. On NASCAR Now they reported exactly what you said about Hyder, muggles. Assuming he had nothing to do with this fiasco how will he ever get his reputation back?

muggle not
25th February 2007, 18:41
Ed Hardin is a well repected columnist for the News-Record of Greensboro. This is today's column by him on the Waltrip cheating scandal, good reading:

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070225/NEWSREC0105/702250346/1028/NEWSREC02050701

Hardin: Scandal will not end well for Waltrip team

All the posturing continues, and Trinity's David Hyder waits patiently to tell his side of the story. You think this has been good so far? This could get better.

A lot better.

Sparky1329
26th February 2007, 06:29
Ed Hardin is a well repected columnist for the News-Record of Greensboro. This is today's column by him on the Waltrip cheating scandal, good reading:

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070225/NEWSREC0105/702250346/1028/NEWSREC02050701

Hardin: Scandal will not end well for Waltrip team

All the posturing continues, and Trinity's David Hyder waits patiently to tell his side of the story. You think this has been good so far? This could get better.

A lot better.

Wow! This should get very interesting. Thanks for the link.

muggle not
27th February 2007, 16:37
Yeah Sparky, it should prove to be interesting. For sure, it isn't over yet.

Sparky1329
27th February 2007, 16:50
Yeah Sparky, it should prove to be interesting. For sure, it isn't over yet.

It won't be over until and unless NASCAR announces what the substance was. They said they won't be doing that so the beat will go on. I was very surprised to read columns by both Steve Waid and Jerry Bonkowski that were along this similar vein. If Hyder speaks out a lot of people will be listening.