PDA

View Full Version : Nicky Hayden's new number

edlalu
20th February 2007, 05:07
Over the years, Hayden has been asked about his number 69. He gave explainations. He gave its history. He explained how special it is to him. He kept it through his carrer.

And now he's dropping it in typical boorish American fashion.

Ranger
20th February 2007, 06:21
Well, the number "1" still reads the same upside down... so maybe he is taking tradition in a new direction. ;)

Hotbikerchic33
20th February 2007, 17:25
Maybe he thinks its the only way he can be number 1 by if he has the number oh bless him!!!!!!! :)

Funks
20th February 2007, 19:03
Well it may be the only time in his entire life that he can stake a claim to being current Motorcycle GP champion of the world - so I do not blame him for carrying the number 1 this year at all.
Think he should keep 69 in his sights for next year though. :p :

jim mcglinchey
20th February 2007, 19:08
Alot of racers, Kevin Schwantz springs to mind, would replace their favourite number only with a No 1, so throughout their career would use only two numbers. Rossi bucked this trend and wore 46 even when he was champ but that was as much down to shrewd merchandising as anything.

MrJan
20th February 2007, 23:07
I think that Vale said that if it was good enough for the great Barry Sheane to keep the number 7 then Rossi could keep his 46. There are quite a few riders who like to keep their set number. Others switch about a lot, Edwards is one that springs to mind. I always liked Hogson's (good job Matt doesn't have the time to check the forum that much any more, he'd kick me out for mentioning that name :p : :D ) when he moved to WSB, he said that seeing as he was number 1 in BSB in '00 he'd have number 100.

I though Nicky would keep his number. Being a child it makes me giggle, never more so when Suzi Perry said "there's Nicky Hayden, number 69, a lady's favourite number". Aaaaah, I like being immature enough to find that amusing :D :laugh:

T-D
20th February 2007, 23:49
this is an absurd notion. what's boorish about running the number 1 plate? rossi is the one who stopped the tradition.

i guess schumacher, alonso and sebastien bourdais are boorish americans, as well.

patnicholls
20th February 2007, 23:59
If I had won something, I'd want the number 1 to go with it while I could.

That said, I'd make sure my personal number was on my leathers, bike (or in my case, kart) as well separately.

Lanky_Wes
21st February 2007, 09:02
i dont see what is wrong with it. at the end of last year hayden finished world champion. that gives him the right to wear the number 1 on his bike for the next year (this year). i agree with you pat, if i was world champion i would want to have number 1 for as long as i could.
and he hasnt totally forgotten about his number 69. if you have a look at the back of his helmet he has a big number 1 with lots of little 69's all through it.

Corny
21st February 2007, 10:39
Bit off topic maybe;
will Bayliss drive no1 this year?

tha_jackal
21st February 2007, 11:05
Bit off topic maybe;
will Bayliss drive no1 this year?

Nope, he said last time he wore number one things didnt go so well.. ;)

RaikkonenRules
21st February 2007, 12:42
Nope, he said last time he wore number one things didnt go so well.. ;)

Yeah same thing happened with James Toseland and Troy Corser. And Kenny Roberts in 2001 for that matter

Corny
21st February 2007, 12:58
Yeah same thing happened with James Toseland and Troy Corser. And Kenny Roberts in 2001 for that matter

And Nicky in 2007 ;)

jim mcglinchey
21st February 2007, 14:28
ooooh thats cruel.

MrJan
22nd February 2007, 22:41
but probably true :p : I don't see why it's a problem to have the number 1. Being champion entitles him to it so he may as well have it. That said I think that if I raced I'd be number 48 and stick to it no matter what.

NinjaMaster
23rd February 2007, 11:49
I'm not sure why this is even an issue. Why wouldn't he run the number 1 plate? It's the only exclusive plate you can run and differentiates the champion from the rest of the field. A rider can run any number, any time but the number 1 is exclusive only to the champion. The thing I don't understand is why a champion would not want to run the number 1 plate. Rossi made it cool again after Barry Sheene did it and now everyone is doing it. I hate it. :mad:

harsha
23rd February 2007, 13:12
it really doesn't matter what number plate he drives in....does it,and it's not hogson,it's hodson....bah,never was good at spelling hogdson anyway :p :

maxu05
24th February 2007, 07:22
Don't mention that name :down: :laugh:

ChrisS
25th February 2007, 15:23
There are quite a few riders who like to keep their set number. Others switch about a lot, Edwards is one that springs to mind.

Wayne Gardner used to change his number to the championship position he finished the year before. Edwards did something similar in WSBK taking #5 when he finished 5th then 2 then 1 then 2 again. he did the same in motoGP taking #5 when he finished 5th in 2004 but has not changed his number since.

ChrisS
25th February 2007, 15:26
BTW Talking of rider numbers, notice how Melandri changed the font of his #33 to subliminally advertise his personal sponsor, UK's 3 mobile network

harsha
25th February 2007, 15:36
and billy btracer was the hogson...ooops hodgson fan here,sorry billy :p :,where is he :?: one regular oldie(if i can say so) that i don't see often in this forum