PDA

View Full Version : Abu Dhabi to be a day-night race

emporer_k
28th August 2009, 17:46
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8226520.stm

The 1 November race will run under floodlights, starting at 1700 local time (1300 GMT), when it will still be light, and ending in the dark.

The sun is due to set at about 1745 local time in the United Arab Emirate.

It's being moved for the benefit of tv audiences, because of corse we are all fast asleep at 11am but up and about by 1pm.

woody2goody
28th August 2009, 17:53
Sounds good though, especially if the surrounding area is as nice as they say it is.

A twilight race will be a good way to finish the season :)

ioan
28th August 2009, 17:57
Sounds good though, especially if the surrounding area is as nice as they say it is.

Sure it is, water and sand! What more could you wish for?! :rolleyes: :p

UltimateDanGTR
28th August 2009, 18:17
so they decide to have a race, where part of it will be in twilight, after drivers complained in australia about visibility problems due to the low sun when the race was held in twilight hour? typical of the people in charge of F1, who gives a t*ss about the drivers? the organizers clearly dont.

little regard for the drivers over this.

hopefully, it will be less of a problem than in australia, but i cant really see how. however finishing the season at night will be pretty cool, and a good spectacle.

ioan
28th August 2009, 18:19
so they decide to have a race, where part of it will be in twilight, after drivers complained in australia about visibility problems due to the low sun when the race was held in twilight hour? typical of the people in charge of F1, who gives a t*ss about the drivers? the organizers clearly dont.

little regard for the drivers over this.

hopefully, it will be less of a problem than in australia, but i cant really see how. however finishing the season at night will be pretty cool, and a good spectacle.

Bernie never gives a toss about the drivers, but the drivers should tell him to go F himself as they will not race in such conditions, it's as simple as that.

jimakos
28th August 2009, 18:22
Bernie never gives a toss about the drivers, but the drivers should tell him to go F himself as they will not race in such conditions, it's as simple as that.

Agree.Nobody can drive in so high level conditions at night... :)

schmenke
28th August 2009, 18:37
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8226520.stm

It's being moved for the benefit of tv audiences, because of corse we are all fast asleep at 11am but up and about by 1pm.

Who's "we"? :dozey:

I'm not a big fan of night races, but at least I won't have to wake up at the crack of dawn :dozey:

Besides, the time isn't moved for the benefit of the audiences, it's moved for the benefit of the sponsors.

Sonic
28th August 2009, 18:48
Can anyone say Gimmick?

The flood lights will be on from the start to ensure " a seemless transition from day to night", so what's the point?!

I can picture the pointless camera shots of the sunset now. Good grief!

Firstgear
28th August 2009, 19:14
What are typical temps there at that time of year?

It may be nicer (for fans attending the race) to be sitting in the stands/beach with a cooler evening breeze, instead of afternoon heat.

The cooling of the track temp as the sun sets may also add another interesting variable.

truefan72
28th August 2009, 19:41
don't like this idea whatsoever. I do think the circuit looks fantastic and it should be honored with a proper day race so its full glory can be experienced.

That Australia example was a debacle IMO.
It was nearly impossible for the drivers to do a proper job with the setting sun blinding them in some areas, and low light visibility in other spots. Drivers complained. Not to mention the cool track temperature causing havok with tyre temps.

one race like this a year is fine. but to have a second one now is a gimmick and a poor decision that affects the drivers and dismisses the rest of the global viewing market in favor. There are enough races that suit the european viewing schedule.Just leave these other ones be.

ioan
28th August 2009, 19:57
Can anyone say Gimmick?

The flood lights will be on from the start to ensure " a seemless transition from day to night", so what's the point?!

Bernie is trying to prove that F1 is environment friendly, NOT!
Continue like this Mophead and one day the EU will shut down the circus. :rolleyes:

I am evil Homer
28th August 2009, 20:30
So for a setting sun you need a tinted visor surely? Then you race under floodlights at night? Dear god I give up....

schmenke
28th August 2009, 21:13
So for a setting sun you need a tinted visor surely? Then you race under floodlights at night? Dear god I give up....

Le Mans drivers seem to do o.k.

Sonic
28th August 2009, 21:25
Le Mans drivers seem to do o.k.

The difference is that LeMans or any 24 hour race has driver swaps so they can change their visors (or their helmet) to suit the conditions. So unless we want to add another gimmick ordering drivers to run at least one lap with each visor type the comparision is not valid.

schmenke
28th August 2009, 21:30
Why not simply ensure that the early tear-off visor strips are tinted...?

Oli_M
28th August 2009, 21:46
NASCAR drivers manage to drive in races that start in evening and then continue into night time under floodlights about once a month. Yes of course when the sun's on the horizon it can make it tricky, but is pretty cool.

Was mentioned on BBC Five Live/Practise commentary today that drivers had complained via reps to Charlie Whiting, he told them to stop whinging apparently.

Sonic
28th August 2009, 22:03
Was mentioned on BBC Five Live/Practise commentary today that drivers had complained via reps to Charlie Whiting, he told them to stop whinging apparently.

Excellent! Bout time these pretty boy F1 drivers got put in their place :D

wedge
28th August 2009, 22:53
NASCAR drivers manage to drive in races that start in evening and then continue into night time under floodlights about once a month. Yes of course when the sun's on the horizon it can make it tricky, but is pretty cool.

And then you have a place like Texas with the sun going doing in the late afternoon creates problems with glare and staring into the sun at the frontstretch/dog leg. Hardly hear any complaints from them.

Big Ben
29th August 2009, 00:42
Bernie is trying to prove that F1 is environment friendly, NOT!
Continue like this Mophead and one day the EU will shut down the circus. :rolleyes:

YouŽd better believe it buddy. IŽm not going to put up with this for long.

Saint Devote
29th August 2009, 03:50
Another goddamn flat race in the sand dunes with lighting gimmickry to try and boost tv viewership - Abu Dahbi - the name itself is comical enough.

That f1 continues moving away from its core audience and bending at the money trough of countries that view western values of respect for ALL human beings with antipathy and require western tourists to fill the stands is just despicable.

And now Bulgaria wants a grand prix?!!!!

At this rate f1 will destroy its soul completely and we will be left with a virtual series - sparse spectators in authoritarian countries that have no real interest in f1 but everything centred on the fickle and ignorant masses sitting like couch potatoes waiting to be entertained.

How revolting!

At times I look back and wish that FOTA HAD broken away!

Saint Devote
29th August 2009, 03:54
Who's "we"? :dozey:

I'm not a big fan of night races, but at least I won't have to wake up at the crack of dawn :dozey:

Besides, the time isn't moved for the benefit of the audiences, it's moved for the benefit of the sponsors.

Quite right!

I hate night races. They do not belong in f1 and the only reason people get all excited is bacause there is no real racing on track. It is like Walt Disney has come to f1 - just that unlike Disney the people do not have a constant fake smile on their faces.

Gerhard Berger said a couple of seasons ago that he fell asleep watching!

Most of all of course that there is no Canadian or French Grand Prix is just a motor racing sin!

rusha84
29th August 2009, 06:26
F1 Singapore (http://f1racingsingapore.blogspot.com/) made a debut last year as the first night race and everything seems to be okay, though there are some minor glitches as can be expected from something untried. So the whole F1 circuit in Marina Bay Singapore was made to suit night races. So though I'm looking forward to "from day to night" race in Abu Dhabi, I'm having doubts on how they can make lightings suited to a day as well as a night race.

ioan
29th August 2009, 09:28

And where's the problem with that?!

truefan72
29th August 2009, 09:43

its a bit different going around in circles, and even then, the drivers still hate it.

imagine doing that with corners, twists and turns, being blinded, not vantage point, not being able to seethe car in front of you.The divers did not enjoy Australia this year.

truefan72
29th August 2009, 09:46
Another goddamn flat race in the sand dunes with lighting gimmickry to try and boost tv viewership - Abu Dahbi - the name itself is comical enough.

That f1 continues moving away from its core audience and bending at the money trough of countries that view western values of respect for ALL human beings with antipathy and require western tourists to fill the stands is just despicable.

At this rate f1 will destroy its soul completely and we will be left with a virtual series - sparse spectators in authoritarian countries that have no real interest in f1 but everything centred on the fickle and ignorant masses sitting like couch potatoes waiting to be entertained.

How revolting!

At times I look back and wish that FOTA HAD broken away!

man, stick to racing and stop with the politics or insulting other countries.
very troublesome some of your remarks. Troublesome indeed.

christophulus
29th August 2009, 15:37
Odd choice to have the finale in Abu Dhabi at all. The whole reason Brazil used to close the season was the prime time slot in Europe (5pm-ish) - always got the highest viewing figures of the year.

Plus I always thought waiting 'til evening added a certain something special to the race..

ioan
29th August 2009, 15:55
man, stick to racing and stop with the politics or insulting other countries.
very troublesome some of your remarks. Troublesome indeed.

He's just a poor bugger venting some frustration around here! Don't take him seriously! ;)

UltimateDanGTR
29th August 2009, 18:31
2010 finale will be at abu dhabi as well.

stupid. these days, there are only 2 suitable venues for final races on the season and title showdowns: Interlagos and Suzuka. both have produced epic climaxes over the years, especially brazil recently, very recently.....

also best atmosphere at a grand prix at interlagos, especially when their drivers are challenging. and good track generally. and changing unpredictable weather.

and interlagos had prime time veiwing slot at 5pm in europe

so why change that?

race_director
29th August 2009, 23:26
the only reason i see with this move is to pull in the crowd for the race.

Camel racing is the only race popular in middle east. and also sunday is a working day in Abu Dabhi . so if they have to pull in crowds in, it can be done only in late evening

BobbyC
31st August 2009, 22:58
Day-night races are the most challenging because drivers will have to race like an endurance race. It's like having Le Mans starting at 2100 and ending at 2300.

Grand-Am does the Watkins Glen "1971 Six Hours Course" race into sunset. But engineers will be challenged in such night races.

ArrowsFA1
1st September 2009, 09:44
When are we going to see floodlit European GP's to suit tv viewers in the rest of the world :confused:

UltimateDanGTR
1st September 2009, 09:51
its ironic that all these races are to please european viewers, yet bernie is taking all these races into asia! on bland circuits, just for bernies pockets, how does that please the european viewer? what the european viewer REALLY wants to see are races on exciting circuits, and exciting races, not boring races in Asia and the middle east with 'european adjusted' start times!

*not saying im against all asian races, places like suzuka and sepang (singapore night race is good aswell) are great places usually with great races, but i think we should have all these other boring asian races gotten rid of. but one can dream....

ioan
1st September 2009, 10:26
its ironic that all these races are to please european viewers...

I for one am not pleased at all. I'd really appreciate to have all races at night or very early in the morning instead of ruining every 2nd Sunday, when I can't go away because he decides to put the race at noon.

I've said it in another thread, F1 will be on the way up only when he's gone for good.
Max will be out this year and hopefully Bernie will follow closely.

Mark
1st September 2009, 12:34
I think the difference in Australia is that the race was run into the setting sun, without any lights.

I'd expect in Abu Dhabi to counter this, they will schedule the race to start when the sun has already gone down below the horizon, hence you don't get any glare from the sun, but you still get that little bit of light before it goes completely dark.

UltimateDanGTR
1st September 2009, 12:46
I for one am not pleased at all. I'd really appreciate to have all races at night or very early in the morning instead of ruining every 2nd Sunday, when I can't go away because he decides to put the race at noon.

I've said it in another thread, F1 will be on the way up only when he's gone for good.
Max will be out this year and hopefully Bernie will follow closely.

yer but knowing bernie, he will never leave, and he will live forever, just to annoy us. bernie has built F1, and now together with Max has been destroying it all for the last few years. :mad: :mad: