PDA

View Full Version : Underpowered by Cosworth

Somebody
25th August 2009, 16:17
The word in F1 circles is that the Cosworth engine is not going to be very competitive. Designed several years ago, it is heavier and less fuel efficient than the current generation of engines and while this can be improved upon in the mid-term, it is not going to happen before the start of the 2010 season. It is reckoned that because there will be no refuelling next year, Cosworth cars will have to carry an additional 18kg of fuel. This will mean that the designers will have to build bigger fuel tanks and this will effect both the weight distribution of the cars and the handling. The result of all this will be that the cars will use their tyres less efficiently than the existing teams. Engineers from rival teams calculate that this will cost the three new Cosworth teams around three to four seconds a lap.
Of course we already knew that the Cosworth-powered cars would be some way down on power, but THREE TO FOUR SECONDS A LAP when you add in all the side-effects? That's an eternity in an F1 car, when all the cars are within 1.5 seconds or so of the top.

ioan
25th August 2009, 16:21
3-4 seconds because of the engine add a couple more seconds due to a less developed chassis and you get a car perfectly suited to Badoer's pace! :D

Seriously, I believe that it will be a miracle if any of the new teams gets a point during the next 2 or 3 seasons.
BTW for how long did they have to commit to Cosworth?

Mark
25th August 2009, 17:06
It is not that long ago that this sort of defecit would result in cars not being able to race. Four seconds a lap down teams should not even bother turning up.

Easy Drifter
25th August 2009, 17:09
I feel too much is being made of what the Cossie was. Cosworth have now known for months their engine will be used by several teams. There is still over 6 months before the first race for the engine.
You can be sure they are working full out on developing more power and reducing the weight while improving fuel consumption.
The dynos will be running full blast trying out revised components and alterations to fuel flow etc. Possibly reducing weight by thinner castings for the block. Altered heads. There are a myramid ways to improve performance if you have the time and resourses. I forget the improvement in HP over the years in the famous DFV but is was pretty remarkable.
They do not have distractions of refettling current engines, or developing cars for the next race.
Yes they will probably be off the pace but maybe not as much as some people think.
Remember last year when Renault were allowed to use an improved engine and suddenly became a real threat again?
I expect the main problem will be in the overall design of the new cars with, in some cases, designers with no F1 experience.
Every car will be new with having to design cars to carry close to double the fuel they do now. Some designers may struggle to get the balance right.
Why they might even work more than a 40 hour week! :eek: :D

Knock-on
25th August 2009, 17:16
Max's legacy will be to give Cosworths a illegal leg up to stick it to the manufacturers. Mark my word ;)

Mark
25th August 2009, 17:42
Well for a start they can develop the engines at the moment which is more than the other teams can do thanks to the rediculous engine freeze.

At what point does the Cosworth need to be homologated? Or does it?

ioan
25th August 2009, 19:44
Well for a start they can develop the engines at the moment which is more than the other teams can do thanks to the rediculous engine freeze.

At what point does the Cosworth need to be homologated? Or does it?

Hopefully they need to homologate it before Christmas otherwise it isn't fair play towards the others anymore (not that now it is as fair as possible).

Somebody
25th August 2009, 20:52
Max's legacy will be to give Cosworths a illegal leg up to stick it to the manufacturers. Mark my word ;)

Thing is though, this isn't just about raw engine power (which a higher rev limit would have helped with) - it seems mostly to be to do with weight, and the compromises that come from no refuelling + a thirsty engine (bigger fuel tank means poorer weight distribution and aero compromises). There's very little that can be done about that, save permitting the Cosworth teams to refuel in-race...

DexDexter
25th August 2009, 21:38
Of course we already knew that the Cosworth-powered cars would be some way down on power, but THREE TO FOUR SECONDS A LAP when you add in all the side-effects? That's an eternity in an F1 car, when all the cars are within 1.5 seconds or so of the top.

I don't buy this. 3-4 seconds a lap sounds just too much, maybe they misquoted somebody.

LiamM
25th August 2009, 21:47
I don't buy this. 3-4 seconds a lap sounds just too much, maybe they misquoted somebody.

I agree the current Q3 pace isn't 3-4 seconds off Q2 pace but theres a ~50kg weight difference thanks to the fuel