PDA

View Full Version : your expectations for the final three ovals?

SarahFan
25th August 2009, 16:05
will we see 'kentucky's' where the powers that be have been touting 'oval racing in the IRL is back!'

or

'richmond/iowas'.....where the race winners are apologizing for the poor showing

any thoughts predictions?

garyshell
25th August 2009, 17:24
I think KY proved the aero situation has been addressed and we should se similar racing in the last three. P2P was a factor as well, but minor compared to the aero. Just sitting in the stands watching it was clear that nose to tail and two wide was very possible.

Gary

chuck34
25th August 2009, 17:43
Yep the aero changes make a big difference, and I think they will for the rest of the year. Could be wrong though, I'm not guarunteing(sp?) anything.

harvick#1
25th August 2009, 17:54
Chicago has always been a great track for the IRL, so no worries there.

Motegi will be a drivers tracks so passing will be alittle more difficult

and Homestead has normally been a track were side-by-side racing has always been anyway.

so I say it will not be like an Iowa or Richmond, as those tracks dont belong on the schedule anyway as they are too small for Indycars and the parade racing proves it

FIAT1
25th August 2009, 18:53
Boring! That is my expectation. Go Justin!

drewdawg727
25th August 2009, 19:01
Hoping Ed and Sarah can show they're the real deal and put in excellent performances like they did in Kentucky.

Chamoo
28th August 2009, 00:31
Not going to lie, but I didn't think Iowa was that much of a snoozer, sure it wasn't great, but it was better then Texas and Richmond.

As for the last 3 ovals, they should be eventful, but let's not expect to much of a different result from the norm. Would love to see Dixon, Briscoe, and Franchitti take themselves out with a 1-2 finish of Helio/Danica to maybe liven up the points race near the end.

CARTDM15
29th August 2009, 06:13
I'm with FIAT1.All high bank oval races are boring.Its like watching cars running side by side on the freeway.

Hoop-98
29th August 2009, 15:05
At 9 & 11 I wouldn't call Chicagoland high banked.

rh

Hoop-98
30th August 2009, 02:12
My mistake, it's 18 turns/ 11 front ,straightaway, but I doubt it will be boring... we shall see..

rh

call_me_andrew
30th August 2009, 05:20
I wouldn't call that boring at all.

garyshell
30th August 2009, 05:28
I wouldn't call that boring at all.

And it didn't look like any freeway I've driven on.

Gary

NickFalzone
30th August 2009, 05:41
This one was exciting basically start to finish. Even good to see KV finally get a podium this year and I thought Rahal was going to take the lead with a few laps to go. But for the rest, I see some OK racing at Motegi, probably Kentucky-lite, and Homestead is probably going to be weak. They could throw oil slicks out there, put on rev limiters, hanford devices, you name it, and my guess is that Homestead would still be the long drawn out bore that it's been the last few years. It's more like Texas, but 2 wide is about as good as I've seen it there. So Motegi will be some good on-track lead changes, while Homestead will be more about strategy.

garyshell
30th August 2009, 05:54
This one was exciting basically start to finish. Even good to see KV finally get a podium this year and I thought Rahal was going to take the lead with a few laps to go. But for the rest, I see some OK racing at Motegi, probably Kentucky-lite, and Homestead is probably going to be weak. They could throw oil slicks out there, put on rev limiters, hanford devices, you name it, and my guess is that Homestead would still be the long drawn out bore that it's been the last few years. It's more like Texas, but 2 wide is about as good as I've seen it there. So Motegi will be some good on-track lead changes, while Homestead will be more about strategy.

Even with the aero changes that have proven so well at KY and now Chicago? I think we'll see similar at Montegi. I don't have a clue what effect they will make at Homestead.

Gary

speeddurango
30th August 2009, 05:56
Homestead is another place good for those irl type "stuck together" racing, while Motegi is always boring due to the overtaking being relatively easy there, that the faster cars would just pass and go while slower ones couldn't get a chance to follow closely.

FIAT1
30th August 2009, 14:49
Typical and predictable manufactered spec merry go round. Great sedative for sleepless nights.

call_me_andrew
31st August 2009, 02:11
Typical and predictable manufactered spec merry go round. Great sedative for sleepless nights.

It's boring when it's hard to pass. It's boring when it's easy to pass. What the **** do you want?

NickFalzone
31st August 2009, 02:45
Ignore the troll, Chicago was a good race. Some ovals are boring merry go rounds, some are not. Homestead - boring merry go round. I can't remember a good race there in a long time. Lately it's been bad attendance and very little passing. I have hopes that the aero changes will make for better racing there, but I am far from confident that they will.

FIAT1
31st August 2009, 03:40
Ignore the troll, Chicago was a good race. Some ovals are boring merry go rounds, some are not. Homestead - boring merry go round. I can't remember a good race there in a long time. Lately it's been bad attendance and very little passing. I have hopes that the aero changes will make for better racing there, but I am far from confident that they will.

No need for names I'm just a fan of real racing and it is my opinion if it's ok with you.

Mark in Oshawa
31st August 2009, 13:59
No need for names I'm just a fan of real racing and it is my opinion if it's ok with you.

It may be your opinion. We heard you. That said, some of the fans LIKE the ovals and LIKE the drafting. Some of us don't. No need to dump on them, because this series needs fans who love both....

garyshell
31st August 2009, 15:59

And what make you the arbiter of what is "real racing"? If you hate it so much, why watch?

Gary

FIAT1
31st August 2009, 18:03
And what make you the arbiter of what is "real racing"? If you hate it so much, why watch?

Gary

Read again. I have said that is my opinion.

garyshell
31st August 2009, 18:28

It's boring when it's hard to pass. It's boring when it's easy to pass. What the **** do you want?

Gary

Read again. I have said that is my opinion.

I wonder why it is you choose to ignore the other folks questions directed at you and only answered the first of the TWO (emphasis not anger... Ken) questions I asked of you. BTW it was unclear if the "it is my opinion if it's ok with you" part was about the real racing or a reference to your original post about meery go round racing.

Gary

nigelred5
31st August 2009, 18:38
And it didn't look like any freeway I've driven on.

Gary

Spend a week commuting to Baltimore on I-95 at 6:15 AM every day........