PDA

View Full Version : UK Public Service Announcement About Texting - Wow!!!

Jag_Warrior
24th August 2009, 21:03
As someone who doesn't understand the fascination with texting, Twitter or any of this other social networking stuff, this is kind of lost on me. But for kids who can't breathe unless their thumbs are dancing on a mini keyboard, maybe this will help. Personally, I think they should run the EXACT same commercial in the U.S.

5ttNgZDZruI

Daniel
24th August 2009, 21:53
As someone who doesn't understand the fascination with texting, Twitter or any of this other social networking stuff, this is kind of lost on me. But for kids who can't breathe unless their thumbs are dancing on a mini keyboard, maybe this will help. Personally, I think they should run the EXACT same commercial in the U.S.

5ttNgZDZruI
Pretty hard hitting........

Tazio
25th August 2009, 00:34
Personally, I think they should run the EXACT same commercial in the U.S.
Also should be standard curriculum in Drivers Ed.

anthonyvop
25th August 2009, 01:52
Also should be standard curriculum in Drivers Ed.

Waste of time and money. If i had seen this vid when i took driver's ed me and my buddies would just be chuckling about how bad those drivers were and how overly melodramatic it was.

Easy Drifter
25th August 2009, 02:40
I forget the exact date in Sept. but the use of any hand held electronic device is banned in Ont. while driving. Hands free phones are ok. Even GPS systems must be mounted. Exclusions are Emergency vehicles.
I would assume taxi drivers can use two way radios. I don't know about truckers and CB radios.
Mark in Oshawa could answer that. Again probably most will be hands free now anyway.

Tazio
25th August 2009, 02:42
Waste of time and money. If i had seen this vid when i took driver's ed me and my buddies would just be chuckling about how bad those drivers were and how overly melodramatic it was.In California "Red Asphalt" was standard curriculum in drivers Ed.
I believe it made an impression on me.
I know it did on the kids running out of the class "tossing their cookies"
Of course the posted vid is a little tame in comparison.
Not a single decapitation!

Easy Drifter
25th August 2009, 02:51
Off topic.

Welcome back from exile Taz.
Somebody else to pick on with my jokes! :angel:

steve_spackman
25th August 2009, 02:59
Waste of time and money. If i had seen this vid when i took driver's ed me and my buddies would just be chuckling about how bad those drivers were and how overly melodramatic it was.

The driving tests in the US are so short, im thinking this video would take up too much time to show anyway

I got my US DL and was amazed when the instructor just took me round the block for 10 mins and said ive passed.

Tazio
25th August 2009, 04:46
Welcome back from exile Taz.
Cheers Easy :up:

The driving tests in the US are so short, im thinking this video would take up too much time to show anyway

I got my US DL and was amazed when the instructor just took me round the block for 10 mins and said ive passed.That has nothing to do with Drivers Ed! I don't know the exact procedure now.
However it used to be that you had to be enrolled and pass drivers education before you got you Drivers Permit.
This allowed you to drive with an instructor or an adult over the age of 25. After you completed Drivers Training
you were allowed to take your Field Exam. If you scored below 70 you failed and could not take the test again for two weeks.
I got a 94 my first time, but I knew many that failed, and a few more than once.
This applied to everyone between the ages of 15.5 and 21.
I guess like everything else, the state doesn't care nearly as much about properly educating drivers
as the Municipalities, do about distributing exorbitantly priced tickets to offenders.
Something about the California budget I guess :dozey:

Easy Drifter
25th August 2009, 06:18
Here every Province is a little different and I imagine each State is too.
In Ont, it can also depend on where you take your test as to how hard it is.
I would hate to drive in Toronto with someone who just passed their test in say Wawa.
Heck I grew up diving it TO and would rather drive in Chicago or even the wild west that is Mtl. than in TO now!

Roamy
25th August 2009, 07:27
texting while driving
1st offense 3 yr suspension
2nd 10 years
3rd life

BeansBeansBeans
25th August 2009, 12:56
I'm not convinced that these gruesome 'hard-hitting' videos have any effect at all.

Daniel
25th August 2009, 13:00
I'm not convinced that these gruesome 'hard-hitting' videos have any effect at all.
Yeah but at least it gives you the comfort of realising that natural selection is still at work :)

Camelopard
25th August 2009, 13:07
Yeah but at least it gives you the comfort of realising that natural selection is still at work :)

Agreed, just like people who don't wear seatbelts and in particular those who don't insist on their children wearing seatbelts.

Darwinism at its best.............

MrJan
25th August 2009, 13:09

The problem being if some natural selection idiot chooses your car to crash into.

Daniel
25th August 2009, 13:10
The problem being if some natural selection idiot chooses your car to crash into.
That's a risk I'm willing to take. It's like war, some good people have to die for the greater good of everyone else. I'm in a 5 star NCAP car now anyway :p

Daniel
25th August 2009, 13:11
Agreed, just like people who don't wear seatbelts and in particular those who don't insist on their children wearing seatbelts.

Darwinism at its best.............
Then there are some people who just find seatbelts annoying which I just don't get. There was one time when I was getting annoyed by having to put my seatbelt on and that was when I was delivering surveys a few years ago so as is legal in WA for people doing deliveries and constantly getting in and out of their car I would drive for a couple of hundred metres without my seatbelt so as to save time. But as soon as I was up to any sort of speed or going any sort of distance the belt was on. It's there for a reason!

MrJan
25th August 2009, 13:48
That's a risk I'm willing to take. It's like war, some good people have to die for the greater good of everyone else. I'm in a 5 star NCAP car now anyway :p

If some idiot who is texting or not paying attention crashes into you or someone in your family then I'm fairly sure your opinion would change. Rest assured that if some numpty texting injures someone in my family then they better hope that they don't come away from the accident, I'm not violent in any way but I'm fairly sure something like that would send me all Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

Daniel
25th August 2009, 13:51
If some idiot who is texting or not paying attention crashes into you or someone in your family then I'm fairly sure your opinion would change. Rest assured that if some numpty texting injures someone in my family then they better hope that they don't come away from the accident, I'm not violent in any way but I'm fairly sure something like that would send me all Michael Douglas in Falling Down.
I was being sarcastic and just a bit flippant. Sadly we can't choose to be part of someone elses accident so you just have to go through life as you do normally and just hope it doesn't happen.

Although the 500 is a 5 start car and fairly safe it's still no match for a tossermobile.....

6pVF1Wr7GLQ

Drew
25th August 2009, 14:09
I'm not sure how hard hitting hard hitting adverts are any more. People especially teenagers are alot more decensitised to this kind of thing in the media, especially now that you can watch things like Saddamn Hussein being executed on the internet.

Jag_Warrior
25th August 2009, 14:30
I'm not sure how hard hitting hard hitting adverts are any more. People especially teenagers are alot more decensitised to this kind of thing in the media, especially now that you can watch things like Saddamn Hussein being executed on the internet.

Yes, I think that's true. But I was talking about seat belts on another board because I was in an accident when I was 16 and flipped a car. The ONLY reason that I'm here today, bothering people, is because I was wearing my seat belt. I was talking about what happened to me, and a woman on that board, who said that she'd never before worn seat belts on a regular basis, decided that she was going to strap in from that point on. I don't know her from Adam. But it made me feel good to hear (read) her say that.

If a commercial like this keeps 5 out of 100 kids from texting while driving, maybe 1 of those 5 is the one who would have crashed into your car or my car. I mean, not everyone who texts (or drinks) while driving crashes. It's a game of numbers. Anything that potentially gets the numbers down is a good thing, IMO.

Jag_Warrior
25th August 2009, 14:43
Cheers Easy :up:
That has nothing to do with Drivers Ed! I don't know the exact procedure now.
However it used to be that you had to be enrolled and pass drivers education before you got you Drivers Permit.
This allowed you to drive with an instructor or an adult over the age of 25. After you completed Drivers Training
you were allowed to take your Field Exam. If you scored below 70 you failed and could not take the test again for two weeks.
I got a 94 my first time, but I knew many that failed, and a few more than once.
This applied to everyone between the ages of 15.5 and 21.
I guess like everything else, the state doesn't care nearly as much about properly educating drivers
as the Municipalities, do about distributing exorbitantly priced tickets to offenders.
Something about the California budget I guess :dozey:

Pretty much the same where I grew up. If you didn't pass driver's ed., you had to wait until you were 18 to get your license. If you did pass, you (or your parents) got a big break on auto insurance. Depending on how the class was set up, you always had X hours of classroom, and then X hours in the simulator and/or the driver's ed. car.

I don't know what it's like now. But I'm sure that the insurance companies keep track of everything from a kid's grades to whether or not they've taken (and passed) driver's ed.

BeansBeansBeans
25th August 2009, 16:14

I just find them hugely unpleasant and completely unnecessary.

Wade91
25th August 2009, 17:14
I forget the exact date in Sept. but the use of any hand held electronic device is banned in Ont. while driving. Hands free phones are ok. Even GPS systems must be mounted. Exclusions are Emergency vehicles.
I would assume taxi drivers can use two way radios. I don't know about truckers and CB radios.
Mark in Oshawa could answer that. Again probably most will be hands free now anyway.
thats sad, its a dumb move to ban cell phones like that, people talk and text on their cell phone and drive every day and most of them do NOT have a accadent

Tazio
25th August 2009, 17:17
thats sad, its a dumb move to ban cell phones like that, people talk and text on their cell phone and drive every day and most of them do NOT have a accadent

Brilliant! :confused:

Easy Drifter
25th August 2009, 17:39
Wade, you are 100% wrong. All the stats say the chances of an accident while talking on a phone are greatly increased. Texting is even worse.
We have a program on TV called 'Canada's Worst Drivers' and it is scary on the inability to drive these people have. Even the best of the ones on the show should never have got a licence. Several other countries have the same thing. One of the tests is for people to drive a twisting course concentrating. Then they do it while talking on the phone. They always hit far more obstacles while on the phone.

Every winter we have umpteen people die on snowmobiles going into open water or through the ice or hitting things while drunk and not wearing helmets. We call it thinning out the gene pool.

Wade91
25th August 2009, 17:55
i highly doubt a grafic public service annoncment like that would ever air here in the US, although i watched the video and dont really have a problem with the grafic nature of it,

what i would have a problem with though is the lenth of the video, i dunno about the UK, but here in the US camerciol breaks are about 2 minutes, i wouldn't wanna have what ever i was watching on tv to be interupted for almost 5 minutes :s

i dont have a problem with the use of cell phones while driving, people use them every day while driving and most of them dont have a accadent,

if i wanna text while driving i'm not gonna let a public severece annoncment stop me :p although i actually use my cell phone for talking more than i do for texting, and i aways use twitter on my computer rather than my cell phone,

i just hope no more states ban cell phones while driving, and i most certantly hope Tennessee doesn't

Wade91
25th August 2009, 18:00
Wade, you are 100% wrong. All the stats say the chances of an accident while talking on a phone are greatly increased. Texting is even worse.
We have a program on TV called 'Canada's Worst Drivers' and it is scary on the inability to drive these people have. Even the best of the ones on the show should never have got a licence. Several other countries have the same thing. One of the tests is for people to drive a twisting course concentrating. Then they do it while talking on the phone. They always hit far more obstacles while on the phone.

Every winter we have umpteen people die on snowmobiles going into open water or through the ice or hitting things while drunk and not wearing helmets. We call it thinning out the gene pool.
yeah, its true that the chances of a accadent are greatly increased when useing a cell phone, BUT when you concider the number of people who do it every day, the majorady of people who use cell phones while driving dont have a accadent

MrJan
25th August 2009, 18:08
Is Wade just a caricature set up by another user? I can't believe that one person can be soo wrong sooo often :p : :D

Jag_Warrior
25th August 2009, 18:10
Yeah, Wade. The majority of people who drive while under the influence of alcohol don't have accadents ether.

Why come a few bad apples, who can't drink and drive, have to spoil it for the majority who can get their drink on while motoring? It's not fair!

Some lil teeny bopper airhead almost backed into my car last week because she was on her cellphone while backing up. Call me a sadist, but I rather enjoy the terrified look I can cause people to have when I glare at them and start moving toward them (like my dad used to do me). If you're a teenager, accept the fact that you have nothing (important) to say or talk about. Stay off the f'ing phone and away from your goofy, meaningless texts. Watch where you're going!

Jag_Warrior
25th August 2009, 18:17
Is Wade just a caricature set up by another user? I can't believe that one person can be soo wrong sooo often :p : :D

Wade, the Hamptons on Labor Day weekend, old man?

GridGirl
25th August 2009, 18:21
Two friends of mine, one female and one male had been caught using thier mobile phones while driving. Both received a £60 fine and 3 points on their license and said it was a stupid thing to have done. Both said they would never do it again.

Personally there is not anyone I have ever needed to text that urently that I have felt the need to do it whilst driving. If it was that urgent a hands free phone call is easy enough to make.

janvanvurpa
25th August 2009, 18:33

I agree.
Somebody has made up a "persona" or two and "Wade" and "Vop' are long running jokes.

It is impossible to believe humans could be so obtuse and cliched, even from Florida.

Has to be an act.

Wade91
25th August 2009, 18:44
Yes, I think that's true. But I was talking about seat belts on another board because I was in an accident when I was 16 and flipped a car. The ONLY reason that I'm here today, bothering people, is because I was wearing my seat belt. I was talking about what happened to me, and a woman on that board, who said that she'd never before worn seat belts on a regular basis, decided that she was going to strap in from that point on. I don't know her from Adam. But it made me feel good to hear (read) her say that.

If a commercial like this keeps 5 out of 100 kids from texting while driving, maybe 1 of those 5 is the one who would have crashed into your car or my car. I mean, not everyone who texts (or drinks) while driving crashes. It's a game of numbers. Anything that potentially gets the numbers down is a good thing, IMO.
back in 1998 when i was 6 years old, me and my mom had just left a fast food restrunt in our new SUV that we had bought just weeks before, and my mom realized i wasn't belted in in the back seat so she pulled over and belted me in, later down the road, the food tumbled out of the front seat, in to the floor bord and my mom was trying to gather it up, unaware that there was a slight curve in the road ahead, with a small drop off on the right side of the road, our car went off the road and rolled over, i was able to crawl out without so much as a scratch, my mom thinks it would have been a much diffront out come if i hadn't been wearing my seat belt, i dunno if thats true or not, but i always wear my seat belt in any case,

some people are afraid of the seat belt getting jamed in a crash and then the car catching fire, which is a good point, i keep a speciol tool in my car that can cut a seat belt in a case like that

Tazio
25th August 2009, 19:02
i keep a speciol tool in my car that can cut a seat belt in a case like thatI sincerely hope you don’t keep it on the dashboard, behind the visor, or anywhere else loose in the cab!

Wade91
25th August 2009, 19:20
I sincerely hope you don’t keep it on the dashboard, behind the visor, or anywhere else loose in the cab!
i keep it beside the cup holder, yeah, its loose and could get tossed out of reach in a crash, but whatever, hopfully i will never be so unlucky for the seat belt to jam AND the car to catch fire :s i hear that seat belts re very hard to cut anyway, and time would defently be agenst you in a case like that,

its not like i keep it flipped open or anything, so its not a danger

i dont really exspect to have a crash anyway, even if i'm speeding and texting :p

i just figure its a good tool to have, one end of it can cut the seat belt, and the other end is a sorta hammer that can break the window, in the event your car is submerged in water and shuts down the cars electrical system where you cant get out

Brown, Jon Brow
25th August 2009, 19:33
i keep it beside the cup holder, yeah, its loose and could get tossed out of reach in a crash, but whatever, hopfully i will never be so unlucky for the seat belt to jam AND the car to catch fire :s i hear that seat belts re very hard to cut anyway, and time would defently be agenst you in a case like that,

i dont really exspect to have a crash anyway, even if i'm speeding and texting :p

i just figure its a good tool to have, one end of it can cut the seat belt, and the other end is a sorta hammer that can break the window, in the event your car is submerged in water and shuts down the cars electrical system where you cant get out

And what if the tool gets tossed about in the crash and thumps you in the head? Loose items in a car are very dangerous, as are 'loose' passengers.

I bet the risks of wearing a seatbelt are negligible when compared with the advantages of wearing one.

Wade91
25th August 2009, 19:41
And what if the tool gets tossed about in the crash and thumps you in the head? Loose items in a car are very dangerous, as are 'loose' passengers.

I bet the risks of wearing a seatbelt are negligible when compared with the advantages of wearing one.
i dont figure its any more dangerous than any other loose item in the car :s

Brown, Jon Brow
25th August 2009, 19:51
i dont figure its any more dangerous than any other loose item in the car :s

You said it had a hammer at one end? Any projected metal object that weighs more than a few lbs could cause a serious injury if it hit you.

What else to you have loose in your car?

schmenke
25th August 2009, 19:51

The Alberta legislate recently rejected a proposal for a law banning the use of cell phones while driving :mark: . This province will likely be the last place on earth to pass a law :s

Wade91
25th August 2009, 20:13
You said it had a hammer at one end? Any projected metal object that weighs more than a few lbs could cause a serious injury if it hit you.

What else to you have loose in your car?
the tool is pretty compact, about the size of a tv remote, it was actually my moms idea, i never knew such i thing existed until she picked it up at the store :s i dont have much else in my car except for a plastic trash can i keep in the back seat unless all the seats are being used,

in any case i dont exspect to have a accadent, i'm confendent in my abilaties behinde the wheel

Daniel
25th August 2009, 21:10
Wade, you can't string together a coherant sentence how the hell can you be confident in your ability to drive?

MrJan
25th August 2009, 22:54
in any case i dont exspect to have a accadent, i'm confendent in my abilaties behinde the wheel

Wade, you can't string together a coherant sentence how the hell can you be confident in your ability to drive?

TBH he struggles with stringing a coherant word together :p :

Jag_Warrior
27th August 2009, 05:20
Wade, in roughly 20 years of playing online, you are one of the best that I've ever seen. Really. I am not worthy. You hit 'em and they still can't believe they've been hit.
You are a Jedi Master! :ninja:

Camelopard
27th August 2009, 10:31
Wade, in roughly 20 years of playing online, you are one of the best that I've ever seen. Really. I am not worthy. You hit 'em and they still can't believe they've been hit.
You are a Jedi Master! :ninja:

I dunno, vop and foustina are pretty good, sometimes I find it hard to believe that 'they' are real people as well! :)

BeansBeansBeans
27th August 2009, 11:50
Vop is real. I've seen one of his clips.

BDunnell
27th August 2009, 20:57
Me too. It's fantastic.

edv
27th August 2009, 22:51
http://www.getwicked.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mike07222009.jpg

Daniel
27th August 2009, 22:55
lol

Drew
28th August 2009, 00:33
http://www.getwicked.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mike07222009.jpg

That's the kind of advertising the government should put out!

Tazio
28th August 2009, 07:48
French Version!!

http://www.treehugger.com/car-accident-cyclists-mexico.jpg