PDA

View Full Version : New Driver, New Team, Can't Drive

ArrowsFA1
7th December 2006, 15:13
Just saw the news that Kimi was at Jerez meeting up with his new team:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55937

Couple of things about this:
1 - how daft is it that he "was not allowed to speak for contractual reasons" :rolleyes:
2 - Both Alonso and Raikkonen are contracted to their 2006 teams until the end of the year, but why isn't the contract written so it ends after the last race? It seems a bit daft that Alonso & Raikkonen couldn't start work with their new teams almost immediately the season finished.

JasonD
7th December 2006, 16:03
The contracts were probably written like that in anticipation of the driver leaving thus limiting his practise time with the new team?

Nem14
7th December 2006, 17:18
Obviously, logic does not apply when a team writes a contract for a driver. What, to me, is even more amazing, is that the drivers lawyer/manager lets the driver sign the bloody thing.

It could be that they all have the expectation that the driver has found Nirvana and will never seek a different employer.

Actually, It just struck me why they do it. So they can extract money from the new team their former driver is goin to by letting the driver out of the contract early.

PSfan
7th December 2006, 17:31
Well I think this happens mainly because the race schedule is usually not finalised until sometime into the new year prior to the season start, so its impossible to predict the final race 2 years or more prior while drawing up the contracts. Plus its simpler and cleaner to just write it up till the end of a year, not to mention some other contracts (sponsorship & such) are probably done around a drivers contract as well...

sonic_roadhog
7th December 2006, 21:21
Well I read today the Ron is asking Renault to realease FA to test for McLaren before the end of the year. If Renault do allow it I guess it should only be fair that McLaren release Kimi early.

Sonic :)

johnny shell
7th December 2006, 21:35
I also read that Ferrari didn't even ask to get kimi early!

Hawkmoon
7th December 2006, 21:44

That's because Ron hates Ferrari so much that he wouldn't allow it anyway.

Fairs fair though. If Ron gets Alonso early then Ferrari should get Raikkonen. The only problem is, that while Alonso desperately wants to test for McLaren I get the feeling that Raikkonen is quite happy having the rest of the year off. :dozey:

sonic_roadhog
7th December 2006, 21:56
That's because Ron hates Ferrari so much that he wouldn't allow it anyway.

Fairs fair though. If Ron gets Alonso early then Ferrari should get Raikkonen. The only problem is, that while Alonso desperately wants to test for McLaren I get the feeling that Raikkonen is quite happy having the rest of the year off. :dozey:

Very true - Kimi looks far too relaxed to get behind the wheel. Maybe if they offer him some champange as a reward :p

Sonic :)

Bolton Midnight
8th December 2006, 03:47
I bet that these drivers who aren't allowed to test do so, but wear team mates lids.

Valve Bounce
8th December 2006, 04:10
I can't see the problem here as Ferrari have excellent test drivers to provide feedback on the new tyres and car setups. Not sure about McLaren's test drivers but I am sure Hamilton would be only too happy to test and test and test!!

Storm
8th December 2006, 10:42
Just read that Dennis wants Renault to release Alonso early so he can test next week in Spain...oh btw there is a Johnny Walker ad on TV here with Kimi in it, that ad would have to be scrapped pretty quick if he is going to be released before his time eh :)

8th December 2006, 11:59
Just saw the news that Kimi was at Jerez meeting up with his new team:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55937

Couple of things about this:
1 - how daft is it that he "was not allowed to speak for contractual reasons" :rolleyes:
2 - Both Alonso and Raikkonen are contracted to their 2006 teams until the end of the year, but why isn't the contract written so it ends after the last race? It seems a bit daft that Alonso & Raikkonen couldn't start work with their new teams almost immediately the season finished.

It's probably due to marketing. In the case of Alonso, Renault are probably still plugging his 06 championship win.

The longer they can keep him out of Mclaren overalls, the longer they can get away with the only photographs being of him in Renault overalls.

It would be a marketing own goal had Renault let Alonso dress up in Mclaren gear in the evening following the Brazilian GP.

It's the price of success. A driver that is released prematurely doesn't have this problem, but then nobody cares since that driver has no marketing value.

ArrowsFA1
8th December 2006, 12:09
It's probably due to marketing.
I'm sure you're right :up: although F1 Racing magazine had a piece this month illustrating just how little Renault were using Alonso to celebrate their 2006 championship successes, almost certainly because he's off to McLaren.

So the contracts are in place for marketing purposes, but the team doesn't want to market their driver because he will be racing for a rival next year :p :

555-04Q2
8th December 2006, 12:20

Probably cause Massa is gonna win the WDC next year ;)

Mark
8th December 2006, 12:36
I'm sure you're right :up: although F1 Racing magazine had a piece this month illustrating just how little Renault were using Alonso to celebrate their 2006 championship successes, almost certainly because he's off to McLaren.

Indeed. But you can imagine Renault would not be too happy if he's Alonso was appearing wearing McLaren overalls, just days after winning the championship with Renault.

I remember back in 1996 when Schumacher et al moved teams, they allowed them to test for their new teams as long as they wore plain white overalls and drove cars with a plain white colour scheme. That seems fair to me.

Ian McC
8th December 2006, 16:14
Well the drivers signed a contract, not unreasonable to expect them to honour it.

Donney
8th December 2006, 16:22
I believe they still have some sponsor related acts and that may be one of the reasons they are not allowed to fully move into the new team.

wmcot
9th December 2006, 09:34
I'm sure that teams write the contracts to the end of the year in order to keep an advantage if a driver leaves. If he can't test for 2-3 months, he can't become familiar with the new car and team as soon as he would like to. This is an advantage for the team losing the driver. In this case, it's a bit stickier sinc Ron Dennis has his candle lit on both ends this year. He doesn't want Kimi testing at Ferrari and Renault won't let Alonso test for McMerc...

eloyf1
9th December 2006, 22:42
Just a question... A think the answer is "No", but, Kimi and Fernando could drive a "black livered" car, that's to say, a car without sponsors???

samuratt
11th December 2006, 10:40
The contracts are usually signed on a year basis for taxes purposes... probably the marketing has something to do with it too, but when it comes the time to pay your government they do prefer you to have a single employer than two!
;)

Rollo
11th December 2006, 13:11
I suspect rather than to do with the new driver in the car, it's more to do with the driver passing on technical information.
I figure that the driver's knowledge by the time that they get into their new car about the previous teams car would by that stage be utterly irrelevant.

I don't think for instance that the same contractual restrictions would exist if say some from Spyker joined Renault tommorrow. I mean what possible super information could they bring?

samuratt
11th December 2006, 13:25
I mean what possible super information could they bring?

The name of the next owner of the team???? :D

Rusty Spanner
11th December 2006, 14:11
The contracts are usually signed on a year basis for taxes purposes... probably the marketing has something to do with it too, but when it comes the time to pay your government they do prefer you to have a single employer than two!
;)

F1 drivers tend to live in Monaco to help solve some of those niggling little tax problems!

Rusty Spanner
11th December 2006, 14:14
I suspect rather than to do with the new driver in the car, it's more to do with the driver passing on technical information.

They might not be allowed to drive but they can talk (unless its Kimi of course).

ArrowsFA1
11th December 2006, 14:47
I suspect rather than to do with the new driver in the car, it's more to do with the driver passing on technical informationSo, as an employee of McLaren, I suppose Kimi was de-briefed by Ron Dennis after his recent spell in the Ferrari pit at Jerez :p

555-04Q2
11th December 2006, 14:54
So, as an employee of McLaren, I suppose Kimi was de-briefed by Ron Dennis after his recent spell in the Ferrari pit at Jerez :p

You seen Men In Black :?: Now if you'll look right at this ladies $#%$#@ now Kimi :p :