PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull considering KERS for Spa?

christophulus
22nd August 2009, 15:11
Red Bull Racing is considering introducing KERS from the Belgian Grand Prix in a bid to boost its world championship ambitions, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

With the Milton Keynes-based outfit locked in a close fight with Brawn GP for the title, the team is now undergoing a detailed investigation into whether fast-tracking KERS onto the car for next weekend's race at Spa-Francorchamps will give it an advantage.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77865

That will be some risk - Renault dumped their system because they couldn't make it worthwhile and it probably hasn't been developed to the same extent the McLaren one has. But if Brawn are truly back on form they may have no choice!

Sonic
22nd August 2009, 15:16
Bit of a knee jerk IMO.

Spa is hardly going to baking hot and its all aero so the RBR team should kick Brawn's dayglow backsides without needing to resort to KERS which as you rightly say won't have been developed and its taken McLaren 10 races to get the system properly intergrated to what might be described as an advantage.

ioan
22nd August 2009, 15:17
I don't think they will bother doing it.
It's just a move to try to intimidate Brawn.

ShiftingGears
22nd August 2009, 15:18
Going to be a gamble if they do.

Sonic
22nd August 2009, 15:23
I don't think they will bother doing it.
It's just a move to try to intimidate Brawn.

How so?

ioan
22nd August 2009, 15:47
How so?

Brawn might consider it too if that is the case, which means they will have to divert some of their resources in that direction.

Anyway I doubt any of Brawn and RedBull will go as far as trying to implement KERS with a only handful of races remaining and no testing allowed.

Sonic
22nd August 2009, 16:12
Brawn might consider it too if that is the case, which means they will have to divert some of their resources in that direction.

Anyway I doubt any of Brawn and RedBull will go as far as trying to implement KERS with a only handful of races remaining and no testing allowed.

I was under the impression that Brawn could not fit a KERS system even if they wanted too. Whilst they could run the Mercedes/McLaren system, the car was not designed with KERS in mind AFAIK.

ioan
22nd August 2009, 16:23
I was under the impression that Brawn could not fit a KERS system even if they wanted too. Whilst they could run the Mercedes/McLaren system, the car was not designed with KERS in mind AFAIK.

The Brawn car was designed with the Honda KERS in mind.
However if they are to run KERS they would need another than the Mercedes one as that one is very different from other concepts in it's positioning and cooling requirements.

Sonic
22nd August 2009, 16:27
Understood. So its doubtful that they would run it at any point, even if Red Bull were trying to intimidate the Brawn team. :D

ioan
22nd August 2009, 17:31
Understood. So its doubtful that they would run it at any point, even if Red Bull were trying to intimidate the Brawn team. :D

I see what you are trying to say there. Maybe 'intimidate' was a poor choice of word.

Sonic
22nd August 2009, 18:15
I see what you are trying to say there. Maybe 'intimidate' was a poor choice of word.

Does that mean I win a discussion with Ioan?? :eek: :D :p :

Just joshing. I know what you were saying but I have to say if that is Red Bulls intention they are forgetting who is in charge of Brawn GP and he didn't come down with the last shower.

F1boat
22nd August 2009, 19:44
IMO Red Bull are a bit panicked because of McLaren. They need to stay ahead of the "silver arrows" if they want to reduce the gap to Jenson quickly.

callum122
22nd August 2009, 20:47
Why bother. Belgium has a 99% chance of raining.

emporer_k
22nd August 2009, 21:21
With no mid season testing strapping a kers device to the car at a race weekend would be like playing russian roulette.

SGWilko
22nd August 2009, 21:26
its taken McLaren 10 races to get the system properly intergrated to what might be described as an advantage.

The McLaren KERS was sorted and working well from day 1 - it's the cars aero that has taken 10 races to sort....

truefan72
22nd August 2009, 21:45
if spa is cool or rainy then expect an RBR 1-2...without the need of kers

perhaps this is looking forward to monza. where it would most definitely help

F1boat
22nd August 2009, 21:55
if spa is cool or rainy then expect an RBR 1-2..

IMO Lewis ca win a wet Spa race as well.

truefan72
22nd August 2009, 22:09
IMO Lewis ca win a wet Spa race as well.

I hope so too ;) , but so far RBR seems to be in a different class in the wets

ioan
24th August 2009, 18:07
It was just a smoke screen:

"Spa is not so different to Silverstone and we had a strong car there, so to introduce KERS at this stage could only be disruptive," said Horner.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77971

IMO Spa is teh track with most potential for KERS users, so if RedBull are not going to use it in Spa they are not going to use it at all. As I said before they never really considered using it.