PDA

View Full Version : What aspect/s of your current car makes it feel cool to you and why ?

BDuncan
22nd August 2009, 07:08
What aspect/s of your current car (or any previous one that you rate as your favorite car you've owned so far) do you believe makes or made
it feel cool (whatever your definition of that is) to you and please say why.

Mark
22nd August 2009, 10:00
The air conditioning

jimakos
22nd August 2009, 11:01
Speed of course of my new passat cc!!
Gears are fulling at no time...

Sonic
22nd August 2009, 14:11
On a top gear cool wall my car would be sooo lame it would be outside the studio doors.

A Citroen C2 with L plates all over it. Can't get much worse. :bigcry:

MrJan
22nd August 2009, 14:30
It's mid-engined, rear wheel drive, only got 2 seats, sounds nice and is an absolute joy to drive on a sweeping B-road. And everytime I walk away from it I have to do a double take to drink in it's beauty :D :D

Previously my dad owned a AUstin 7 Special, some people laughed at it but open top with go-kart handling and a straight through exhaust made it a throughly cool car, if only it wasn't such a pain to keep running then we wouldn't have had to sell it :bigcry:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1104/1310555761_c922ab5e9d.jpg

Donney
22nd August 2009, 15:10
A Focus State TD is not exactly cool but I like the stereo control in the steering column thing it has... :(

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd August 2009, 15:48
I can't think of anything :(

veeten
22nd August 2009, 16:00
The air conditioning

it's the only thing that's 'cool' during the summer... :cool: :D

harvick#1
22nd August 2009, 16:29
30GB harddrive, never have to deal with CD's nor radio again :D

GridGirl
22nd August 2009, 17:45
My car has racing stripes....I'm not cool at all other than to 17 year old boys.

Daniel
22nd August 2009, 18:15
On a top gear cool wall my car would be sooo lame it would be outside the studio doors.

A Citroen C2 with L plates all over it. Can't get much worse. :bigcry:
Top Gear actually liked the C2 when they tested it so I think it would be in the cool section :)

Jag_Warrior
22nd August 2009, 19:45
I think my WRX is the coolest car I've ever owned, because of the incredible all weather handling, great horsepower and relative comfort. I know it's the best car for the money I've ever owned. OK, so girls don't "Ohhh" and "Ahhh" over it the way they have the XK8 and the old XJS. But this car is waaaay ahead of either of them in the all around bang-for-the-buck dept. And it's damn reliable too. In 5 years, I haven't spent as much on maintenance on it as I did in one year with any of the previous sports or GT cars I've had. Except for an A/C compressor a week ago, I haven't spent any maintenance money on it, outside of having the oil changed, etc. All the money I've spent has gone into go fast parts and upgrades to suspension and brakes.

And the coolest thing about it: it's paid for!!! Any car that's paid for gets an automatic 10 Cool Points. :up:

Daniel
22nd August 2009, 20:06
I think my WRX is the coolest car I've ever owned, because of the incredible all weather handling, great horsepower and relative comfort. I know it's the best car for the money I've ever owned. OK, so girls don't "Ohhh" and "Ahhh" over it the way they have the XK8 and the old XJS. But this car is waaaay ahead of either of them in the all around bang-for-the-buck dept. And it's damn reliable too. In 5 years, I haven't spent as much on maintenance on it as I did in one year with any of the previous sports or GT cars I've had. Except for an A/C compressor a week ago, I haven't spent any maintenance money on it, outside of having the oil changed, etc. All the money I've spent has gone into go fast parts and upgrades to suspension and brakes.

And the coolest thing about it: it's paid for!!! Any car that's paid for gets an automatic 10 Cool Points. :up:
Caroline has a Legacy Turbo which shares the engine, gearbox, diffs and suspension of the WRX and it's everything you say it is :)

Daniel
22nd August 2009, 20:17
Well there are a few reasons why I think our current car is cool.

1. The mainstream media seem to like it as do most people which is always a good thing.
2. It's based on the Panda which has been built for 6 years and it's got an engine which has been in production for something like 20 years so there shouldn't be any real problems with reliability
3. It's white which at the moment seems a good colour for cars. Much better than the stock standard metallic grey cars which are all too popular in Europe with the added bonus of being a free colour
4. It's got leather. Which makes your back sticky when the weather is warm but I love the smell of it and it's tough wearing and looks good.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/500/New%20Folder/DSC_5717.JPG

5. I like the fact that it's got an interior which has actually had some time spent making it a nice place to be in. I've never really owned a car which had a horrible interior but the 500 is probably the nicest cheap car I've ever sat. It makes the Mini's interior look silly and over the top IMHO.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/500/New%20Folder/DSC_5726.JPG

There are other reasons why I like it but those are the main ones. What's not cool is the steel rims I've bought for it are an absolute bitch to get cleaned up ready for painting. Going to have winter wheels for it as I don't want to ruin the nice alloys with all the salt on the roads here and the Potenza's it's got on it are going to be totally and utterly useless in the winter even if it doesn't get snowy or icy.

GridGirl
22nd August 2009, 20:48
Daniel, you just reminded me that I had something cool and to be smug about with my car. Ibby found out last winter that Octavia Vrs's are as standard in the UK fitted with what is classed as summer tyres that don't really operate at anything under something like 7 degrees. Oh how I thought my car was cool when it wasn't thwarted by as much as two or even three snowflakes. Sadly his tyres wore out a couple of months ago and now it has sensible and normal ones.

Daniel
22nd August 2009, 21:45
Daniel, you just reminded me that I had something cool and to be smug about with my car. Ibby found out last winter that Octavia Vrs's are as standard in the UK fitted with what is classed as summer tyres that don't really operate at anything under something like 7 degrees. Oh how I thought my car was cool when it wasn't thwarted by as much as two or even three snowflakes. Sadly his tyres wore out a couple of months ago and now it has sensible and normal ones.
Well most tyres are summer tyres tbh and most tyres don't work below 7. That I guess is part of the reason why I'm doing it because the rims cost not very much and even though the tyres are an expense they save wear on my other tyres which cost about twice as much anyway so in the long term it'll cost very much and if and when there is snow I'll be laughing while 4wd cars on silly summer tyres will be sliding around :p

Mark
23rd August 2009, 12:57
I can beat the 30gb hard drive with my 32gb memory stick!

Daniel
23rd August 2009, 13:16
I can beat the 30gb hard drive with my 32gb memory stick!
Does you car have voice control though? ;)

MrJan
23rd August 2009, 13:22
Pay, memory sticks and HDs don't count for anything, direct iPod plug in for mine so I can control everything from the headunit but then walk around with it whenever I want too :p :

Daniel
23rd August 2009, 18:10
Pay, memory sticks and HDs don't count for anything, direct iPod plug in for mine so I can control everything from the headunit but then walk around with it whenever I want too :p :
I can do the same with my car too :p

MrJan
23rd August 2009, 20:10
aaah but mine has a 3.5 jack too for generic MP3 players, an MP3 CD player and a remote control (for when you can't be bothered to reach all the way to the dashboard :D ) For £150 it's pretty much perfect for what I need :p :

Daniel
23rd August 2009, 20:18
aaah but mine has a 3.5 jack too for generic MP3 players, an MP3 CD player and a remote control (for when you can't be bothered to reach all the way to the dashboard :D ) For £150 it's pretty much perfect for what I need :p :
I can get a 3.5 jack put in, I have an inbuilt MP3 CD player and I've got a choice of voice control or steering wheel controls :p

MrJan
23rd August 2009, 21:20
well mine lights up blue or white and you can tilt the fascia so :p : :D

Tazio
24th August 2009, 15:38
Three thing I like about my Toyota Tundra:
It's paid for!
It is an extender cab four door!
The air conditioning kicks a$$!

Hazell B
24th August 2009, 15:52
Er, nothing really :p :

Being paid for gives me a nice warm glow when all around me have monthly payments on their cars, I guess. I just went, looked, handed over cash ....

Maybe sometimes, in stop/start traffic when some dunce tries to squeeze ahead of me, I feel faintly cool behind the wheel of a monster that can collect all the scratches it likes. It means they can try pushing in, but I won't back down whatever happens if the way is mine :D

MrJan
24th August 2009, 15:54
Maybe sometimes, in stop/start traffic when some dunce tries to squeeze ahead of me, I feel faintly cool behind the wheel of a monster that can collect all the scratches it likes. It means they can try pushing in, but I won't back down whatever happens if the way is mine :D

My Civic was like that, it had a big dent in the rear 3/4 which basically said "there will only be one winner" :D :D

Daniel
24th August 2009, 16:36

Being paid for gives me a nice warm glow when all around me have monthly payments on their cars, I guess. I just went, looked, handed over cash ....

Not so fast ;) When I was down in Kent last week I squeezed out some fool in a Seat by giving them only one option, crashing into the side of our brand new car :p It's all about not showing any weakness and not looking at what's next to you. and not acknowledging the person trying to push in. They kept on trying and got hung out to dry by a few people behind us as well :D

We're paying monthly for our car so that does take a little away from the coolness but we're only going to get rid when it's rusted away to nothing so depreciation isn't such an issue.

MrJan
24th August 2009, 16:57
We're paying monthly for our car so that does take a little away from the coolness but we're only going to get rid when it's rusted away to nothing so depreciation isn't such an issue.

So what car are you getting after Christmas then ;) :p :

Daniel
24th August 2009, 16:59
So what car are you getting after Christmas then ;) :p :
Haw haw :p The shell is galvanised and the car carries an 8 year perforation warranty so ner ner :p

Mark in Oshawa
24th August 2009, 17:07

Of course you like its' reliability, you have owned too many Jags...lol

My car? I wont say much except the Chev has lots of power......THAT is a blessing after my last 3 cars were 4 cylinder beaters....

leopard
24th August 2009, 19:23
Four or six cylinder doesn't make a sense, depends on who drive it...

Plump butt! but not overly plump, yes I like car with shapefull backside.

Tazio
24th August 2009, 23:07

I don't know the particulars in the UK, but by cutting a check for the Full price of my Tundra
I saved about $400.00 US a year on insurance! A little less savings for my Bike!

Drew
24th August 2009, 23:48
It has a button that opens the boot. That's about it :p :

wedge
25th August 2009, 00:18
White Jaeger speed dials

Rear spoiler

Bodykit

Subwoofer

18" alloys

Bore exhaust

Well there are a few reasons why I think our current car is cool.

1. The mainstream media seem to like it as do most people which is always a good thing.
2. It's based on the Panda which has been built for 6 years and it's got an engine which has been in production for something like 20 years so there shouldn't be any real problems with reliability
3. It's white which at the moment seems a good colour for cars. Much better than the stock standard metallic grey cars which are all too popular in Europe with the added bonus of being a free colour
4. It's got leather. Which makes your back sticky when the weather is warm but I love the smell of it and it's tough wearing and looks good.

5. I like the fact that it's got an interior which has actually had some time spent making it a nice place to be in. I've never really owned a car which had a horrible interior but the 500 is probably the nicest cheap car I've ever sat. It makes the Mini's interior look silly and over the top IMHO.

It's still a girl's car.

You would've passed the 'cool' test if you had the Abarth. :D

lcd
25th August 2009, 05:58
My sound system for sure..! ;)

MrJan
25th August 2009, 08:10
Bodykit

Subwoofer

Bore exhaust

Ummm, not sure how many of those things make it a cool car :p :

Roamy
25th August 2009, 08:33
The part where I ram some puke texter with my dodge turbo cummins and then go over to Willie and Guilermos and have a Corona with a lime !!

Donney
25th August 2009, 08:41
It has a button that opens the boot. That's about it :p :

Mine too, and it's paid for....

That makes three cool things :rolleyes: (yeah right)

Daniel
25th August 2009, 09:23
White Jaeger speed dials

Rear spoiler

Bodykit

Subwoofer

18" alloys

Bore exhaust

It's still a girl's car.

Well quite a few men on the forum said they'd have one too if the opportunity arose so I guess you're on your own there :)

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134200

If I bought an Abarth I wouldn't have any of the stickers or things that make people realise that it's an Abarth. Cars that have to shout about their identity are automatically uncool.

This is exactly how I'd have mine, well minus the mirror covers.
http://blogautomobile.fr/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/img_1022-500x375.jpg

Just like Jan Yeo am not sure that 18" wheels, a bean can exhaust, rear spoiler and bodykit would make a car cool :dozey:

jimakos
25th August 2009, 09:55
Nice choice mate :up: :up: :up:

Donney
25th August 2009, 10:59
I would buy the little Fiat if I had the chance. I think it is great!!!!

jimakos
25th August 2009, 11:00
I would buy the Ford focus RS if I had the money :p

wedge
25th August 2009, 12:11
Well quite a few men on the forum said they'd have one too if the opportunity arose so I guess you're on your own there :)

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134200

That's because they themselves aren't cool!

If I bought an Abarth I wouldn't have any of the stickers or things that make people realise that it's an Abarth. Cars that have to shout about their identity are automatically uncool.

You can just have the scorpion badge

Just like Jan Yeo am not sure that 18" wheels, a bean can exhaust, rear spoiler and bodykit would make a car cool :dozey:

Only if you're in your teens!

edv
25th August 2009, 17:30
Coolest stuff about my car?
50/50 weight distribution
After 10 years I still haven't exceeded the cornering envelope!
Had 80GB on board since 2003. yawn.
Not a single straight line or corner on the body, all luscious curves!
I like over 300hp out of a 1.3L engine. That's cool!

Brown, Jon Brow
25th August 2009, 19:46
I think we are all under the illusion here that a car can make you cool. The only thing a car can do is make you less cool. Some cars make you less cool than others. A Mini for example makes you very, very, very uncool, but a Fiat 500 can only make you slightly uncool. :p

Being interested in cars is something that makes you uncool. I try to hide the fact that I like cars (this is not the reason why I drive a Fiat Punto) because I don't want to come over as a car bore. Even when I hear people talking about cars ,and I know they are completely wrong, I always keep quiet or pretend not to have great knowledge about cars.

jso1985
25th August 2009, 20:12
It's a 79 Volskwagen Passat, that's cool enough :D

Plus I get to see lots of his brothers lost bombing in Baghdad :p

Daniel
25th August 2009, 21:12
Couldn't agree more with you Jon, most people just don't care......

Caroline
26th August 2009, 18:28
That Fiat 500 is a car with more admirers than I care to mention. I've lost count of how many times people have stopped to chat about the car or just been checking it out as they walk past. I love it but I am not sure if it surpasses my Subaru in driving enjoyment.

ShiftingGears
27th August 2009, 03:32
Being interested in cars is something that makes you uncool.

Says who?

The car I drive - looks more stylish than most in its class, and is fun to drive.

leopard
27th August 2009, 03:41
White Jaeger speed dials

Rear spoiler

Bodykit

Subwoofer

18" alloys

Bore exhaust

It's still a girl's car.

Actually not all rear spoiler work out on a car. I'd prefer the right Nissan has better look than 626 with spoiler attached... I'd rather the left Nissan is without rear spoiler too...

Daniel
28th August 2009, 13:49
Says who?

The car I drive - looks more stylish than most in its class, and is fun to drive.
What do you drive? :)

ShiftingGears
28th August 2009, 13:54
2005 Mazda 3 Hatch.

schmenke
28th August 2009, 14:52
I really think the "check engine" signal that's been shining yellow on my dashboard display for the last few days is pretty cool... :uhoh:

Daniel
28th August 2009, 14:59
2005 Mazda 3 Hatch.

Doesn't look as stylish as one of these :p

http://images.indiauto.in/images/A_2/3/8/9/79832/fiat_grande_punto_101_b5585.jpg

Brown, Jon Brow
28th August 2009, 16:14
Says who?

It doesn't make you cool though. Trust me. If you went you were talking to a stranger in a bar and said 'i like cars, my car is the most stylish in its class and is fun to drive' you are really not going to impress them.

Daniel
28th August 2009, 16:24
Jon is right

ShiftingGears
29th August 2009, 02:57
Doesn't look as stylish as one of these :p

http://images.indiauto.in/images/A_2/3/8/9/79832/fiat_grande_punto_101_b5585.jpg

I prefer the styling of the 3 over the Punto to be honest.

ShiftingGears
29th August 2009, 03:10
It doesn't make you cool though. Trust me. If you went you were talking to a stranger in a bar and said 'i like cars, my car is the most stylish in its class and is fun to drive' you are really not going to impress them.

I said the car feels cool to me - if it doesn't seem cool to someone else I really don't care.
I just don't think people should measure what cool is by what some prole in a bar thinks. Why should it matter to you what they think? Do you think their opinion counts more than yours?

29th August 2009, 10:13
I love my car and every aspect of it is cool to me. Why? Because it's not a bus or any other type of public transport.

crazzycat
31st August 2009, 09:21
I like it becouse it's very comfortable it's like the second home for me

MrJan
31st August 2009, 13:17
The other day a 6 year old thought my car was a Ferrari :s mokin:

Jag_Warrior
31st August 2009, 15:24
If I was surrounded by people who thought that cars (or knowledge of cars) made one "uncool", I think I'd start hanging around with a better class of people.

"Cool" is a totally subjective term, defined by the group that you're a part of (or want to be a part of?). It may be that certain people can tell you anything and everything about the details of some mind numbing, spirit crushing TV show, while they have no interest in cars, books or politics. They might go on for hours about the latest episode of Big Brother, but they're totally ignorant as to what weight oil goes in their car.

To each his own. But I stopped accepting other people's definitions of cool once I got out of high school. IMO, thinking for oneself makes one cool. And if I'm in a bar where none of the guys knows anything about cars, I'd probably look around to see how many women were in the bar - could be one of those bars where men go to "bond" with other men. ;)

A.F.F.
31st August 2009, 16:29
I prefer practicality over coolness.