PDA

View Full Version : unknown Cart chassis

kevinuk
16th August 2009, 07:29
Hi, new to the forum, it looks great and I am really enjoying the chat.
I have a question I hope someone can help with though. I have recently bought a carbon chassis wihich has a number of 0707 and the cart symbol above it.
Hopefully I have managed to upload an image,
It has the ford lola markings and I was told it was Christiano De Matte's car, can anyone hlep or know where to go to find out a little history of this chassis?
thanks again
Kev

MDS
16th August 2009, 12:46
Without doing more research, or having access to some team records I can tell you it was probably last raced, or used as a show car, between 2004 and 2005 because of the PacifiCare sticker on it. PacifiCare was the "Official Healthcare Provider for Champ Car during those years.

Based on that, unless it was a second hand Newman-Hass Chassis they later sold to another car for show or race purposes it wouldn't have been Shorty's Chasis because they never ran a black car in 04 or 05, when DaMatta was in F-1.

Mark in Oshawa
16th August 2009, 16:58
It never fails to amaze me how the people on this forum can deduce this stuff. I wouldn't have had a clue...lol. I know some of the teams, I may know the difference between a Reynard and a Lola and Dallara, but such fine points as MDS nailed I wouldn't have picked up on. Kudo's to you sir, you likely are right or at least in the ballpark.

Neat seeing the tub stripped down like that. Looks more like a bobsled missing runners than the vitals of a race car. Not until you pick up on the human scale that it becomes clear it is far too small to be a bobsled!

Hoop-98
16th August 2009, 17:55
Without doing more research, or having access to some team records I can tell you it was probably last raced, or used as a show car, between 2004 and 2005 because of the PacifiCare sticker on it. PacifiCare was the "Official Healthcare Provider for Champ Car during those years.

Based on that, unless it was a second hand Newman-Hass Chassis they later sold to another car for show or race purposes it wouldn't have been Shorty's Chasis because they never ran a black car in 04 or 05, when DaMatta was in F-1.

DaMatta in a KVR Chassis 2005

http://i26.tinypic.com/wjf9yt.jpg

rh

MDS
16th August 2009, 18:40
That's right, they had chevron funding until Shorty left.

MDS
16th August 2009, 19:30
wait are you sure? I thought he drove a red Bell Micro car for PKV in 2005.

Hoop-98
16th August 2009, 19:44
yes but the tub may have been stripped for testing who knows....
rh

grungex
16th August 2009, 20:00
PKV would not have had Pacificare and McDonalds logos on their cars...

Chris R
16th August 2009, 20:07
plus if it has a ford sticker on it, it is post DeMatta..... I wonder if it is a bourdais Chassis from 2003?

Hoop-98
16th August 2009, 20:15
PKV would not have had Pacificare and McDonalds logos on their cars...

Wanna bet, lol, they were series sponsors, and of course after 2003 everyone drove a Ford or Cosworth.

rh

Hoop-98
16th August 2009, 23:16
I think we can say that as far as Da Mattas cars on his return.

In Race trim the car was red.
At least some of the time it was black, for fitting and or testing.
It was powered by Ford/Cosworth.
The series cars wore McD's and Pacificare stickers.

http://i27.tinypic.com/fkv9dg.jpg

So the jury says, inconclusive need more data.

rh

MDS
17th August 2009, 00:11
Yeah, what you really need is a crew member and I never worked for PKV or NHL.

The absolute best thing to do is email KVRT and NHL and say you're trying to track down info on a chassis you bought and theoretically they can provide you with a detailed history, including everyone who drove it, where it was raced, what the results were, and if/when it ever was ever crashed.

The PR guy for KV Racing is Kevin Diamond: kdpr@worldnet.att.net

I don't have an public email for Kathi Lauterbach, but I'm pretty sure she's the PR person at NHL still. You can find her through facebook and if she's not still with the team I'm sure she'll give you the right person to talk with.

kevinuk
17th August 2009, 09:02
Hi everyone, first of all thank you for the additional information. I have been back on to the chap from Lola who has confirmed additional information.
Car last driven by Ryan Hunter ray, with a ford engine bolted on.
De Matte drove it when he was alongside Bruno Junqueira.

I have attached another shot of the chassis number.
Next step to take your advice and chase for info from the USA.
Thanks everyone

dataman1
17th August 2009, 21:30
I was one of 3 guys who did accident data collection and analysis so I pulled some old reports. Looks like the guy from Lola told you correctly.

The actual Lola tub number is B0200-030. Looks like it was last driven on June 4, 2005 in Milwaukee with Ryan in the seat. Really big hit coming out of turn 2 that damaged the tub and many other parts. I would wager it became a show car after that hit but it could have been sent back to England for repair. I don't have records it came back to the track afterwards. Still looking however. Cars at that time were running with Ford Cosworth engines and had league associate sponsorship from Roshfrans, McDonalds, and others.. Hope this helps.

Toymaker
17th August 2009, 22:03
So Kevin, how did it end up in your hands?

dataman1
18th August 2009, 01:00
I contacted one of the other 3 who had records that showed that the tub was new in 2002. No impact records fround in 2002 or 2003 but did find a minor event on July 11, 2004 at Toronto with Memo Gidley in the seat while with Rocketsports. The car number at the time was 17.

FYI the event in Milwaukee with Ryan happened while he drove for American Spirit Racing in the #31 car.

kevinuk
18th August 2009, 07:48
Guys, nothing but thanks from me as I hoped to get a steer on this tub but the level of detail is amazing, thank you to everyone.

I have now set it up in my workshop and go to see it almost on an hourly basis. Before you ask, yes I have sat in it several times. I have and still do own several great pieces of memorabilia but this is without doubt the king of them all.

As for where I bought it, E-Bay.

Last week I went to the factory and picked it up and was given a guided tour of certain non sensitive areas, again an amazing experiance.

I now need to track down some images.

Thanks once again
Kevin

dataman1
18th August 2009, 13:36
Here's the first pic

Mid Ohio 2003. Ryan is the driver, American Spirit Racing #31.

dataman1
18th August 2009, 13:44
Unable to load the second picture due to size limits on this forum. Send me a PM with e-mail address and I can send you the second photo.

Chris R
18th August 2009, 13:55
Here's the first pic

Mid Ohio 2003. Ryan is the driver, American Spirit Racing #31.

nice shot - but that is a Reynard...... I think American Spirit ran Reynard all of 2003.....

I am thinking the 2005 car that was crashed at Milwaukee was either for Rocketsports or HVM???

DBell
18th August 2009, 15:53
nice shot - but that is a Reynard...... I think American Spirit ran Reynard all of 2003.....

I am thinking the 2005 car that was crashed at Milwaukee was either for Rocketsports or HVM???

According to his website he drove for Rocketsports in 2005.

http://www.ryanracing.com/content/view/95/58/

So if it was with Rocketsports, it was in Paul G's hands. Better disinfect the tub. :D

dataman1
18th August 2009, 20:11

You are correct. I jumped without looking. Saw the car number and pasted the photo.

The data I reported for the 2005 crash is real, complete with tub number and lola chassis number, car number, driver, etc.. I added the team based upon communications from the other data guy. Did not look up stats sheets to see who team or sponsors.

dataman1
18th August 2009, 20:25
I did some more searching to fix my goof on posting the wrong picture.

Ryan was driving for Rockesports at Milwaukee in 2005 in this tub. He qualified 7th and finished in last place (17th) after a crash on lap 6. FYI, this one of the biggest hits (in G's) seen in my 12 years of doing crash data with CART/CCWS.

My Appologies Kevin, I sent the wrong pictue via e-mail also. Sorry mate!

Chris R
18th August 2009, 20:33
Isn't that crash pretty much when Rocketsports and Reay had a falling out?? I think there was a lot of scuttlebutt about the car being a real hunk-o-junk - at least in preparation at the time.....

dataman1
18th August 2009, 20:39
Isn't that crash pretty much when Rocketsports and Reay had a falling out?? I think there was a lot of scuttlebutt about the car being a real hunk-o-junk - at least in preparation at the time.....

My experience with Rocketsports prepared cars would support that rumor.

Was it the next year that Ryan led every lap and won in an HVM car at the same track??

DBell
18th August 2009, 20:48
Was it the next year that Ryan led every lap and won in an HVM car at the same track??

The year before, 2004