PDA

View Full Version : Forget MS comeback. Canadian GP back?

Sonic
13th August 2009, 21:11
Can't post the link as I'm on the mobile but autosport are reporting that canada might be back by 2010.

I'd love to see that. A good track which always provides excitement and atmosphere.

schmenke
13th August 2009, 21:35
Sonic, I've heard similar rumours over the course of the last couple of weeks but as yet have not found anything conclusive in the press.

DavErb
13th August 2009, 22:44
From the AP hews release
======================
Montreal's mayor says a tentative deal has been reached to return Formula One racing to the city in 2010.

Mayor Gerald Tremblay says the race date and other details still have to be worked out. Tremblay spoke Thursday after F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone recently told a motor sport magazine that Montreal would be back on the racing calendar in 2010.
=========================

Yahoo! Hope the deal they are "working out" does not include too much taxpayers money

Alfa Fan
13th August 2009, 23:12
Autosport reported this earlier:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77645

555-04Q2
14th August 2009, 11:41
I hope it does come back. We've had some great races there in the past :up:

Mark
14th August 2009, 11:45
Excellent news if true. It's an F1 track with a long history now, and one of the best settings for Formula 1. It's also important for F1 to have a presence on the North American continent.

Jon 'Massa' Beagles
14th August 2009, 11:53
Canada need more funding or bigger gate receipts to keep their GP because Bernie will only take the most profitable races onto his calendar. Screw supporters, drivers taste and the spectacle...money in his pocket is priority #1. I don't blame him for doing it, I just think that it's sickening to pretend otherwise.

UltimateDanGTR
14th August 2009, 13:07
Canada need more funding or bigger gate receipts to keep their GP because Bernie will only take the most profitable races onto his calendar. Screw supporters, drivers taste and the spectacle...money in his pocket is priority #1. I don't blame him for doing it, I just think that it's sickening to pretend otherwise.

i couldnt agree less IMO. MOney in his pocket shouldn't be his priority, it should be whats best for formula 1. I do blame him for doing it and thus i hate the greedy B***ard.

even if he has single handedly built up F1 as a global brand etc, he's now ruining it together with max mosley

because bernies money grabbing has taken us to places where no one gives a flying t*ss about F1-like turkey, bahrain etc. pitiful.

Jon 'Massa' Beagles
14th August 2009, 14:47
Turkey is a bizzarre choice IMO...what's the market out there for cars or anything in fact?

What baffles me is the Hungaroring? Who is paying for this dire procession of a track to be on the calendar every year. Is this the best track that Eastern Europe can produce?!? Can someone please put just 1 decent overtaking corner on to that track to make it a legitimate place for a race! The only time it's worth watching is if it rains there. But the majority of the best races have a weather element them so it's hardly a point in it's defense.

Anyway (back on to the point), Canada is a Grand Prix with heritage, excitement, passionate fans, state backing, and the respect and appreciation of drivers and teams alike...and we are to lose this to Turkey? Absolute bollocks.

Just because I don't blame him for exploiting his position doesn't mean I think that it's good that he is doing it btw. Just that I can appreciate the temptation to make more money for yourself...wish he would remember his racing roots though, both him and Max could use some time in a garage with the mechanics to get some perspective on things I feel.

nigelred5
14th August 2009, 18:23

From the reports I've read and from comments I've heard from my brother who works for the bank holding the majority of the F1 loans, Apparently, the people he DOES answer to are starting to talk a little louder to him about some of the markets Bernie has abandoned, especially when it comes to North America. Montreal is the easiest to go back to because it's clear that they have a market, a promoter and a fan base that CLEARLY wants them back. That's not so clear in the US. The manufacturers want F1 back on the US, but sponsors, promotors and a venue aren't so clear cut. It gets F1 on the continent, so I'll be happy to see it.

nigelred5
14th August 2009, 18:29
The Hungarian Government has always fully backed that race to promote tourism IIRC. It also had the lure of the first former eastern block country to host a race. I seem to recall Turkey was strictly about Tobacco advertising when the original contract was signed. I really like the Turkish track, but come on? They might as well race at Paul Ricard for the amount of spectators at the race. They certainly have no need for grandstands.

pitscar
15th August 2009, 20:29
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090813142214.shtml
The price tag for taking Formula One back to Canada has plummeted by $100m for a new five-year deal, according to local reports.

Last year, negotiations with the Montreal race organisers ended when Bernie Ecclestone's demands for a $175m five-year agreement were unanimously turned down by the municipal, provincial and federal levels of government.

Now, after the F1 chief executive said talks are back on track to restore the Canadian round at the famous Circuit Gilles Villeneuve for 2010, the national Globe and Mail reported that the proposed new deal is for just $75m for five years.

The newspaper said Ecclestone's hand was forced due to the economic recession which lowered revenue expectations, but also suggested that the recent signing of the amended Concorde Agreement - which renewed the sporting and commercial considerations of F1 until 2012 - contributed to the matter as "it is thought the Formula One Teams Association (FOTA) pushed hard for a return to Canada.

Following the Concorde Agreement renewal, FOTA had indicated its focus was now on "racing at the best tracks, in front of the biggest audiences and expanding F1's reach."

The Montreal destination is renowned for its sell-out weekends, year after year. That fact was further highlighted this season when the Turkish Grand Prix took place in front of largely empty grandstands, as was the case in China.

The Globe and Mail also said the 78-year-old was pressured by his bosses at CVC, the majority owners of F1's commercial rights, to keep carmakers happy and committed to the sport.

"It seems CVC decided to appease them with a quick return to North America, which did not host an F1 race this year for the first time since 1958," said the report.

Haha, ohhh Bernie. I can just imagine how much that stung your wallet and your pride. You lost money, and the rest of us were right! Pick some decent tracks....

DexDexter
15th August 2009, 22:01
Turkey is a bizzarre choice IMO...what's the market out there for cars or anything in fact?
l.

Turkey has a huge population, even if most of it is poor, maybe that's the reason. And it's a European race, the teams can take their their trucks there, so no expensive air transport is needed.

call_me_andrew
16th August 2009, 00:00
I wouldn't call Turkey, "Europe".

winer
16th August 2009, 01:01

Actually, there is a corner of Turkey on the European continent, but the F1 track is in the Asian part of the country.

Saint Devote
16th August 2009, 03:28
Haha, ohhh Bernie. I can just imagine how much that stung your wallet and your pride. You lost money, and the rest of us were right! Pick some decent tracks....

They call CVC, Bernie's bosses? LOL!!!

Bernie is like the bond market - mess with it at your peril and the value of the nation's currency will fall and rates will rise, punishing economic activity....etc

Secondly, these people have been privy to private documents? Oh yeah?!

This report sounds like something made up during the quiet mid-summer break by an idiot journalist who does not understand the rules of the financial road.

This sort of arrangement will NEVER fly, why?

Because anyone in business or finance will tell you dropping your price, not only slightly but a whopping amount will immediately devalue your product and significantly upset your existing clients.

CVC are not idiots. They are investment bankers and they understadn the bond market.

I think this report may or may not be correct on a return to Canada, but the details sound like a load of hogwash to me. And yes, I am an investment banker - been one for 20 years now.

16th August 2009, 10:54

Actually, there is a corner of Turkey on the European continent, but the F1 track is in the Asian part of the country.

In the Asian part, yes, but only 20 minutes car journey from the Bosphorus.

ioan
16th August 2009, 11:51
Bernie is like the bond market - mess with it at your peril and the value of the nation's currency will fall and rates will rise, punishing economic activity....etc

Yeah sure! And he can turn back time, heal blind men and walk on water! :rolleyes:

driveace
16th August 2009, 13:20
Is Bernie that good ioan ?
I did not know you thought of him SO highly,your not creeping are you !
Driven round the Gilles Villenueve circuit ,bit scary in places !

Bagwan
16th August 2009, 14:43
So , the GP's back in Montreal , eh ?

Get Villeneuve a drive , Bernie , and you'll see me there .
In fact , they'd have to add grandstands , lots of them .

Easy Drifter
16th August 2009, 15:52
Knowing Berie I will believe it when the race is back on the calender.
In the meantime Bags, are you going to the ALMS race at Mosport?

nigelred5
16th August 2009, 17:37
They call CVC, Bernie's bosses? LOL!!!

Secondly, these people have been privy to private documents? Oh yeah?!

This report sounds like something made up during the quiet mid-summer break by an idiot journalist who does not understand the rules of the financial road.

This sort of arrangement will NEVER fly, why?

Because anyone in business or finance will tell you dropping your price, not only slightly but a whopping amount will immediately devalue your product and significantly upset your existing clients.

CVC are not idiots. They are investment bankers and they understadn the bond market.

I think this report may or may not be correct on a return to Canada, but the details sound like a load of hogwash to me. And yes, I am an investment banker - been one for 20 years now.

Contracts with promoters of races that no one attends, In places few people have the means to travel to or countries people have no respect for, in markets few of the sponsors are conducting business, have no gate receipts to support their sanction fees, and no eyes on the tracks watching races. I think by your previous comments we can agree the current F1 schedule sucks. IMHO, His moves chasing countries willing to pay his ransome have already de-valued the product. Chasing so called EMERGING markets isn't working when noone can afford to attend the races. Time to go back where the fans are, while there still are any, while F1 still maintains any relevance to the people that do have the money.

Bagwan
17th August 2009, 13:54
Knowing Berie I will believe it when the race is back on the calender.
In the meantime Bags, are you going to the ALMS race at Mosport?

I'd love to , but I'm smack dab in the middle of building my house , pouring cement today for the slab .
I'll be a little busy for a while .

Maybe next year .

You going ?

Easy Drifter
17th August 2009, 17:17
Bags: Yes, my first pro race for about 20 years assuming I get my pass. Plan on 3 days.
If we ever get to a race at the same time I will show you a great restuarant in Lindsay, assuming you come across country and not down to the 401.

Bagwan
18th August 2009, 22:38
Bags: Yes, my first pro race for about 20 years assuming I get my pass. Plan on 3 days.
If we ever get to a race at the same time I will show you a great restuarant in Lindsay, assuming you come across country and not down to the 401.

Ah , from the other side of the bay , eh ?
I'll take you up on that some day , I hope .

Have a big old time at the race .

Stop in at Back Eddie's if you're ever in Paisley .

Easy Drifter
19th August 2009, 03:54
I might take a run over to visit old racing friends Stu and Sus Lamont in Hangover, oops Hanover. If I do will drop in.
We used to have some wild parties at their place on the Marl Lakes. Watched the huge Knectels fire during one party. Sus' parents owned the restuarant across the street from the fire.