PDA

View Full Version : AGR adding 5th driver at Sonoma

NickFalzone
12th August 2009, 01:21
The last thing AGR needs is more drivers. Montagny seemed ok in his race or two last season, but my guess is that he's bringing some money...

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090811/SPORTS0107/90811062/1052/SPORTS01/Andretti+Green+adding+5th+car+temporarily

And here's PT's response to this on Twitter:

"I guess all the work I did in Toronto for agr promotions means nothing ... Frank montagny gets a ride for sonoma with agr."

rolinchicane
12th August 2009, 01:39
I am very pleased to see Michael working Gary Peterson into the deal. Peterson is doing an awesome job in the FIL series and works great with Andretti.
I applaud AGR for stepping it up and committing to another car. More feedback and info is good. Franck is a seasoned driver that brings experience, not money to the table. I see this as AGR looking down the road to improve.

NickFalzone
12th August 2009, 01:47
No offense meant here, but Franck is hardly a "seasoned" driver that brings valuable experience to this team. He's driven in what, 2 IndyCar races in his career? And a few Lights? He IS talented, I don't dispute that. But there are many talented drivers out there, including the JR Hildebrand's, Jon Summerton's, Wade Cunningham, Alex Lloyd, etc. Then there's the VETS with Experience which is what AGR seems to desperately need, like a PT.

I dont know the details of this hire, so I don't want to be negatively harsh on a situation where a new driver IS coming into the series. That's always a good thing, particularly if they know their way around a racetrack. But from my seat, the problems at AGR will not be solved by bringing in a young, inexperienced driver.

NickFalzone
12th August 2009, 02:56
Probably beating a dead horse with this topic, but I saw this on another board and it seems to be the most likely reason for Montagny in at Sonoma:

"Don't make more of it than it is ....

It's a 1 race deal with AFS sponsorship which is the Firestone Indy Lights partner with AGR and AFS is based in Huntington Beach, CA so it's sort of a "home' race for them. Nothing more, nothing less ... and Montagny drove the ALMS car last yr for AGR so he is familiar with the team ...."

SoCalPVguy
12th August 2009, 05:48
W.T.F. is the point of this, AGR cannot even field a competive car for the four entries they already have. This will stretch them thinner, Montagny must be bringing in a pretty good check... but nonetheless AGR does not have the resources to add another car.

rolinchicane
12th August 2009, 14:22
I think its great that AGR is bringing more cars to the series.....I can't understand why anybody would criticize that move?

garyshell
12th August 2009, 15:15
I think its great that AGR is bringing more cars to the series.....I can't understand why anybody would criticize that move?

Hmmm, from the inside or outside the team? From the outside, it is great news, more cars is always a good thing (as long as the drivers are competitive and not rolling chicanes). From the inside, it is a stupid move further diluting limited resources that are struggling now to put four competitive cars on the grid.

Gary

Jimmy Magnusson
12th August 2009, 22:07
W.T.F. is the point of this, AGR cannot even field a competive car for the four entries they already have. This will stretch them thinner, Montagny must be bringing in a pretty good check... but nonetheless AGR does not have the resources to add another car.

Theory time.

Danica to Ganassi, taking Dixon's seat.
Dixon to de Ferran.
Montagny to replace Danica at AGR.

Oh, and there's no way what so ever that Montagny is bringing money to that ride. At all. I know Franck Montagny from France isn't what IndyCar fans wants, but he's better than Danica IMO. But from a fan perspective, Dario, Kanaan, Danica & Marco doesn't really have the same ring as Montagny, Kanaan, Marco and Mutoh..

MDS
12th August 2009, 22:25
Yeah, rag of Franck Montegny all you want, but the man was brought in for a reason. I heard from a source close to the team that there has been an ongoing argument and tension in the shop that Danica and/or Marco are bringing AGR down because only TK and Hedki have any sort of setup skill, with TK being the best at it. So instead of having four cars testing different things you have one and half cars providing feedback under pressure to find sets for the two Americans.

The reason why Franck was brought in, according to my source, is because he's a respected, neutral party with reputation for bringing cars up to speed quickly. He did this in Champ Car where he was running lap times equal to Justin Wilson in Seabass's car at Seabring and Long Beach. He's finished second in the 24 hours of Le Mans two years running and he was an F-1 test driver who didn't bring any money to the table, so you know he gave them solid feedback.

Yes its about the sponsor, but its also about settling an arguement, and if Franck gets up to speed quickly, well, then you have your answer about Marco and Danica's setup talent. It's probably also fair to say that he's auditioning for a ride next year, either with AGR or somewhere else.

SoCalPVguy
13th August 2009, 04:07
Yeah, rag of Franck Montegny all you want, but the man was brought in for a reason. I heard from a source close to the team that there has been an ongoing argument and tension in the shop that Danica and/or Marco are bringing AGR down because only TK and Hedki have any sort of setup skill, with TK being the best at it. So instead of having four cars testing different things you have one and half cars providing feedback under pressure to find sets for the two Americans.

The reason why Franck was brought in, according to my source, is because he's a respected, neutral party with reputation for bringing cars up to speed quickly. He did this in Champ Car where he was running lap times equal to Justin Wilson in Seabass's car at Seabring and Long Beach. He's finished second in the 24 hours of Le Mans two years running and he was an F-1 test driver who didn't bring any money to the table, so you know he gave them solid feedback.

Yes its about the sponsor, but its also about settling an arguement, and if Franck gets up to speed quickly, well, then you have your answer about Marco and Danica's setup talent. It's probably also fair to say that he's auditioning for a ride next year, either with AGR or somewhere else.

I am not ragging on Montagny, I am ragging on AGR !!!
They cannot filed 4 cars competetively now, so adding a fifth does not make any sense.
No doubt Montagny is a better driver than any AGR driver except for Kanaan, and he's probably a calm personality added to a volatile mix of egos and tempers now at AGR.
I can see a scenario that this is a try out for a smaller team next year, I think AGR fields 3 cars max or that Andretti fields two and splits with Green who also runs two. Princess is gone at AGR for sure.

PA Rick
13th August 2009, 04:38
I thought Servia was brought on for setup interaction but he got another ride. They seem to be chasing setup all year.

rolinchicane
13th August 2009, 13:34
I applaud Michael for adding cars when another team could have easily cut back in these tough economic times. There's value in investing in the future and quality people. Keeping AGR personell employed and busy can only help morale with the stability of employment.

bravefish
13th August 2009, 16:20
A 5th car at AGR only means one thing - more lap traffic

SoCalPVguy
13th August 2009, 17:11
A 5th car at AGR only means one thing - more lap traffic

Yes one more car to dodge Milka "Rolling Roadblock" Duno who again is 8-secs off the pace at Sonoma. Hope Frahnck steers clear and doesn't get collected.

Wade91
13th August 2009, 18:49
if Danica is going is going to ganassi next year then AGR may be planning to put Franck in the #7 car next year, so, their putting him in a 5th car some this year for him to get warmed up, that happens sometimes in NASCAR