PDA

View Full Version : Winds

schmenke
11th August 2009, 16:53
Violent winds are common for the southern part of this province. A couple of weeks ago meandering hay bales were the result of such winds. Some of these bales weigh upwards of 700kg. See pics.
(I'm pants with posting pics so I hope this works :mark: )

schmenke
11th August 2009, 16:54

schmenke
11th August 2009, 16:55
(bare with me...)

schmenke
11th August 2009, 16:55
(last one...)

Alexamateo
11th August 2009, 17:03
That's pretty amazing. I see there are no trees or windbreaks there. What's your elevation? Are you above the tree-line.

schmenke
11th August 2009, 17:23
Southern Alberta, espeically in the south-east, is very flat with few forested areas that can act as natural wind-breaks.
Not sure of the elevation, I believe Medicine Hat is about el. 600m (~2,000ft).
The winds are caused by air currents blowing off the pacific ocean, compressing as they pass over the Rocky Mountains, the suddenly releasing as they pass over the peaks. The winds then rush downslope unimpeded reaching velocities of over 100kph.

Hazell B
13th August 2009, 13:46
Jeez, and I thought we had in breezy here!

Most of my trees over sevenish feet tall are bent to about 45 degrees by our westerly winds. They sometimes rip bits of roof off local houses, but my barns haven't suffered thanks to being built shallow and extra tough :p :

Mark
14th August 2009, 09:12
Jeez, and I thought we had in breezy here!

Most of my trees over sevenish feet tall are bent to about 45 degrees by our westerly winds. They sometimes rip bits of roof off local houses, but my barns haven't suffered thanks to being built shallow and extra tough :p :

You live south of York around the Humber area don't you? Very flat around that part of the world. I'm not surprised if everything is rather windswept!

Mark in Oshawa
15th August 2009, 17:54
Schmenke, it sure aint the south shore of Montreal is it? Those are amazing pictures.

I have to say, I have driven across the US and Canadian plains a few times and I am always amazed by the lack of trees and the open space. If one was agoraphobic, being on a ranch in Southern Alberta would just about kill you or cure you.

It is amazing to me the power of nature though. Those pictures of the hay bales moving is something I would have never guessed I would see.

Wade91
15th August 2009, 18:26
those must have been some very strong winds :eek: , i saw alot of damage when a tornado hit here in Hendersonville, TN outside of Nashville in 2006 (luckaly it didn't hit my house), but i've never seen hay bails moved like that from strait line winds before