PDA

View Full Version : OT: MidOhio national anthem on Saturday

garyshell
10th August 2009, 04:59
Clearly something transpired during the national anthem on Saturday at MidOhio. Serious enough to warrant a banner headline on the MidOhio.com website and this from Michelle Trueman Gajoch:

Saturday, August 8

Dear Mid-Ohio Race Fans and Partners:

Today began with great anticipation…..outstanding IndyCar and Indy Lights qualifying and the like.

The highlight of the day to be the American Le Mans Series and the Acura Sports Car Challenge. As with all major motor sports events; it is a coordinated effort between the hosting venue and the sanctioning body to stage the pre and post race ceremonies. Today was no exception.

To the disappointment of TrueSports; the talent provided for the National Anthem was not in keeping with good judgment nor good taste. I and the entire TrueSports, Incorporated team deeply regret the disrespectful display of patriotism imposed on our fans and partners.

Your patronage and support of our facility is as vitally important as is your “race day experience.” We remain committed to maintaining the standards each of you have become accustomed to when attending events at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

Thank You,
Michelle Trueman Gajoch
President
TrueSports, Incorporated

Anyone know what happened?

Gary

Shifter
10th August 2009, 07:20
Well, I heard it and I think it cut out at one point, but I wasn't actually paying close attention. I think it's just a similar situation to the Roseanne Barr edition at a ball park a couple years ago, in this case the 'hard rock' rendition wasn't quite the lame ear-splitting jaw-vibrating females we've grown accustomed to. Perhaps I missed a changed lyric?

ClarkFan
10th August 2009, 15:12
Clearly something transpired during the national anthem on Saturday at MidOhio. Serious enough to warrant a banner headline on the MidOhio.com website and this from Michelle Trueman Gajoch:

Anyone know what happened?

Gary
They tried to play the Jimi Hendrix version from Woodstock, but the sound ketp breaking up.

ClarkFan

SarahFan
10th August 2009, 15:18
They tried to play the Jimi Hendrix version from Woodstock, but the sound ketp breaking up.

ClarkFan

that's a bummer...

joe walsh played the national anthem at LB one year....only quitar, no vocals..

it was cool... crowd dug it

grungex
10th August 2009, 15:20
The best I ever saw was Lynyrd Skynyrd at Cleveland. You caould tell they had spent a lot of time working out the harmonies.

garyshell
10th August 2009, 16:41

ClarkFan

I don't think that is what happened. There was supposed to be some "famous" guitar player (famous in his own mind as I never head of the guy) play the anthem. But it sounds like there was more to it from Michelle's press release.

Gary

dataman1
10th August 2009, 20:13
I don't think that is what happened. There was supposed to be some "famous" guitar player (famous in his own mind as I never head of the guy) play the anthem. But it sounds like there was more to it from Michelle's press release.

Gary

Gary is correct. I was on the starting grid. This jerk butchered the anthem. The PA also kept cutting out so most of the crowd did not know the National Anthem was starting. Then the sound system to his guitar was questionable so he did an ad lib as an intro. Some marines in dress blues went to ALMS truck and complained. Good for them!

Wade91
10th August 2009, 21:36
Well, I heard it and I think it cut out at one point, but I wasn't actually paying close attention. I think it's just a similar situation to the Roseanne Barr edition at a ball park a couple years ago, in this case the 'hard rock' rendition wasn't quite the lame ear-splitting jaw-vibrating females we've grown accustomed to. Perhaps I missed a changed lyric?
maybe the person singing it, added a swear word and it was sencered on tv? (the part that cut out)

garyshell
10th August 2009, 21:51
OMG, this is what happened: (warning turn DOWN your speakers, or better yet mute 'em)

http://www.danfastuca.com/homenf.html

What the hell was the ALMS thinking, even if this guy IS a big Corvette fan? He was a member of the Plasmatics with Wendy-o-Williams. I liked some of their stuff but that was a LONG time ago.

Gary

methanolHuffer
10th August 2009, 21:58
HA HA Ha. That is so bad it is making me leave the office early - part disgust and part too confused to continue.
Perfect ending to my monday. Thanks gary ;) ...

garyshell
10th August 2009, 22:01
HA HA Ha. That is so bad it is making me leave the office early - part disgust and part too confused to continue.
Perfect ending to my monday. Thanks gary ;) ...

Didn't have anything to do with that methanol pipe did it? :s mokin:

Gary

methanolHuffer
10th August 2009, 22:10
Didn't have anything to do with that methanol pipe did it? :s mokin:

Gary

Maybe GWAR wasn't available for the pre-race ceremony.

*probably not safe whilst at work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyZ3pgABwss&feature=related

terrible terrible

garyshell
10th August 2009, 22:15
Maybe GWAR wasn't available for the pre-race ceremony.

*probably not safe whilst at work: http://

Now that is an understatement! GWAR is not safe ANYWHERE.

Gary

dataman1
11th August 2009, 19:22
Rumors on race day at the track had the corvette team pushing this guy to play at their first GT2 event as a special deal. Someone at corvette must have pushed hard enough to make it happen. From the sound of things ALMS folks were put between a rock and hard place. Do they upset a loyal team who just spent big bucks to retool their operation to continue with the ALMS and take the risk of him doing badly. We all know the outcome now. Lesson learned.

Colin_Harvey
11th August 2009, 22:39
I think they should have had this version instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RplzKlSlbR0

ClarkFan
11th August 2009, 23:13
OMG, this is what happened: (warning turn DOWN your speakers, or better yet mute 'em)

http://www.danfastuca.com/homenf.html

What the hell was the ALMS thinking, even if this guy IS a big Corvette fan? He was a member of the Plasmatics with Wendy-o-Williams. I liked some of their stuff but that was a LONG time ago.

Gary
Guess they should have gone with Hendrix. When it comes to guitar, you can't go wrong with Hendrix. :cool:

ClarkFan

RacinRandy
11th August 2009, 23:57
Guess they should have gone with Hendrix. When it comes to guitar, you can't go wrong with Hendrix. :cool:

ClarkFan

Hendrix had another gig that day.

garyshell
12th August 2009, 17:35
Now the guitarist has made a statement:

http://blogs.vetteweb.com/6541408/corvette-news/mid-ohio-national-anthem-alms-race/index.html

http://image.vetteweb.com/f/corvette-news/mid-ohio-national-anthem-alms-race/24583627+cr1+re0+ar1/no-subject.jpg

Gary

grungex
12th August 2009, 21:16
I did not realize Ron Fellows is an American hero. You learn something every day...

Mark in Oshawa
16th August 2009, 16:49
Ron a hero? An American Hero? He wouldn't even accept being a Canadian hero. The man is far too modest. The fact is though Ron like most of us Canucks is not seen as foreign to the Americans and they automatically assume we are Americans unless we make a point of our Canadian status...

AS for this guy with the really cool guitar, I think someone should have vetted his version for public consumption. Playing the Star Spangled Banner on a guitar can be done in many different ways, but a guy who played with Wendy O probably isn't going to do respect to the anthem. Just a thought....

grungex
16th August 2009, 19:57
Isn't Ontario in California? :D

Mark in Oshawa
16th August 2009, 21:12
You mean Ontario, Manitoba, BC, etc. aren't US states??? You could have knocked me over with a feather. :D :D :D

I think you of all people know better....but there are a few around here that I wonder about..lol

Easy Drifter
16th August 2009, 21:21
Heck all of Calif. would fit inside Ont. So would Texas for that matter! :D

Mark in Oshawa
16th August 2009, 21:50
Heck all of Calif. would fit inside Ont. So would Texas for that matter! :D

Maybe...but that would almost fill us. Maybe leave room for Maryland, Delware and Mass...lol

speeddurango
16th August 2009, 22:36
Despite him speaking stupid and having an issue with the PA, I don't get all the fuzzes around him, it's not like he deliberately messed up the anthem anyway.

Well at least last time I check America was still a free country and there's not a "cultural revolution" going on, right? "Wow, he played the national anthem like a jerk? Shot him!!111!"

Mark in Oshawa
16th August 2009, 23:09
Despite him speaking stupid and having an issue with the PA, I don't get all the fuzzes around him, it's not like he deliberately messed up the anthem anyway.

Well at least last time I check America was still a free country and there's not a "cultural revolution" going on, right? "Wow, he played the national anthem like a jerk? Shot him!!111!"

It is a free country, but I wish promotors putting on races would just get people up there that make the anthem special without trying to trick it up. At a concert, I am sure this guy's act would be fantastic, and I am also sure he meant not disrespect, but the anthem should be simple, respectful and gotten out of the way. We the fans are there for a race, not to have a cultural spin on an old standard put to us.