PDA

View Full Version : Grid Tracks

race_director
5th August 2009, 19:49
I was playing the GRID game . killing some time . after seeing tracks like milan, detroit. le mans. the different layout of JAPAN cities.

i was wondering if we can have real F1 cars on this tracks in MILAn and all cities. that would make f1 fun. instead of driving down the deserted place of Istanbul , or some island in UAE.

anyone feels the same ?

philipbain
6th August 2009, 00:00
I personally think in principal City tracks make a lot of sense - take the event to the people so to speak. In general this philosophy should work better in emerging markets, one of the reasons that the Singapore race has proven successful is that the circuit is in the city rather than spectators having to travel often a substantial distance from the race's supposed host city to go to the event, indeed Turkey, China & Malaysia all have this problem and all have lack lustre attendances which don't even come close to capacity.

Unfortunately there are issues with city tracks. Obviously #1 is the destruption that it would cause to the normal workings of the host city, this has been cited as the main obstacle to a London GP that has been touted sporadically for the best part of 40 years. #2 is ensuring that the track is suitable, no only in terms of layout but also road surfacing, pit facilities, paddock space, spectator facilities etc. its a logistical nightmare. #3 is the cost of hosting, as not only do you have to prepare the facilities you would also have to compensate affected businesses, pay massive fees to FOM and then take down the whole thing when your done. And in an established market, such as Milan, what would be the point when Monza sells out anyway?

So in short I can see it working for new markets as it gets the punters at the track and on TV to see the city and it gets more bums on seats but for established markets there is less to gain when purpose built facilities exist and get good crowds as they are.

Jon 'Massa' Beagles
6th August 2009, 10:26
F1 has established markets in certain countries but fails to use them...North America should be a priority! No, F1 will never be as big as NASCAR there, but neither does it need to be considering the size and wealth of the country dwarfs that of many existing tracks (Hungary being the 1st example to spring to mind...). Canada has a phenomenal circuit, good facilities, is enjoyed by spectators and drivers alike and generates income for both F1 and Montreal. And it's dropped because...? Because Bernie isn't getting as much as he will get from 'Sheikh whatever his name is' in the far east.

I'm all for expansion to new circuits in new countries IF they are good for fans and the spectacle of F1; introducing F1 to a new audience is a good idea...but saturating a market that doesn't seem all that interested whilst ignoring one that is is completely barmy IMO.

And speaking of that far east market we go to China and Japan (rightly so), but neglect India for some unknown reason...Korea is also not yet on the calendar, though promised to be soon. And yet we go to Malaysia, Abu Dhabi and Singapore this year, which are nowhere near as big and have nowhere near as many drivers/F1 fans.

Mental. But what should we expect from a series where the majority of participants reckon that Michael Schumacher needs testing in an Ferrari than more a relatively unknown 19 year old in a Toro Rosso... :P

race_director
6th August 2009, 10:38
And speaking of that far east market we go to China and Japan (rightly so), but neglect India for some unknown reason...

as a Indian . i would say that the Indian Market is not yet ready for a f1 race. as far as i can see bernie wants to come to INDIA. he wanted to come here from 1999-2000. but the market is not yet ready. the cost of around setting up track and run the race. and also pay Bernie millions for the license to host the race would be not be profitable in INDIA .

The average ticket cost that is for f1 ticket for 3 days is 500$. that is very costly here and also f1 is not so popular here .

so even if it takes take. let f1 race eleswere . we don't want another turkey.

also there is no motorsport here . apart from a rotten track lying for the last 10-15 years in the south of the country. which now looks like a forest

a new track cannot survive only on f1. it needs other races to run through the year