PDA

View Full Version : Doornbos to HVM?

Chamoo
3rd August 2009, 21:31
Well, Autoracing1.com has posted alot of rumors, but this one is pretty good and it's getting alot of play from ICS types.

AR1.com is running a rumor that HVM is preparing a car for Robert Doornbos of NHL Racing.

I've got more about the situation on my blog, so check it out if you want.

I really don't see any difference between Doornbos at HVM or Doornbos at NHL.

What do you guys think?

DanicaFan
3rd August 2009, 21:37
Well, Autoracing1.com has posted alot of rumors, but this one is pretty good and it's getting alot of play from ICS types.

AR1.com is running a rumor that HVM is preparing a car for Robert Doornbos of NHL Racing.

What do you guys think?

Well, back before the year started, they were saying Doornbos was going to be at HVM Racing and be EJ Viso's teammate. So, this could have merit.

drewdawg727
3rd August 2009, 21:51
Matt - do you REALLY think that this all can go on before Mid-O..?

NickFalzone
3rd August 2009, 22:28
Wait, Doornbos is leaving NHL for HVM with 6 races left to go? Or he's going there next season? Unless Bourdais is somehow in this mix, the move doesn't make sense.

And I do see a difference between Doornbos at NHL and at HVM, he's a lot quicker at NHL.

drewdawg727
3rd August 2009, 22:43
He may be quicker at NHL, but at least he might get along with the team better if he is at HVM.

jackmart
3rd August 2009, 22:54
Why does Graham have to hav a superior car to Doornbos? Why can't he just be better? Graham has improved so much over the last year. He is becoming more patient, finishing races.

After all, I still have yet to see the Kansas race but they qualified 1-2 so he had the speed to that race.

Chamoo
4th August 2009, 00:20
I understand that Graham has improved a ton, however, anyone who watched the last CCWS season understands that Doornbos was superior to GR that season. Now I understand that this was 2 years ago, and GR has improved significantly, but I doubt Doornbos has declined in skill. If anything, GR may have a terribly slight advantage in skill.

But, when you think about it, Graham is driving a car with McDonald's sponsorship footing the bill, with no worries about finishing the year. He is the teams wonderchild, and is being paid to drive for the team.

Robert Doornbos is running on a budget that is barely going to make it through the year (or if this rumor is true, he probably wouldn't had finished the season at NHL). NHL knew how much money was being brought by Doornbos and he is the new guy at the team.

If Doornbos' budget is that limited, how will they, and why would they, spend the money to buy the parts to improve his car? I attribute his lack of competitiveness to this. I think we can comfortably say that Doornbos is better then he is being allowed to show this season.

Hoop-98
4th August 2009, 00:23
Why does Graham have to hav a superior car to Doornbos? Why can't he just be better? Graham has improved so much over the last year. He is becoming more patient, finishing races.

After all, I still have yet to see the Kansas race but they qualified 1-2 so he had the speed to that race.

He had the advantage of a Carcano 6.5mm bolt action anti-roll bar...

drewdawg727
4th August 2009, 03:28
Bobby D is gone..

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-doornbos-departs-nhl/

Robert Doornbos has parted company with Newman/Haas/Lanigan, which likely leaves one seat open for IndyCar's remaining five races and possibly pairs the Dutch driver with his former team in Champ Car for the rest of 2009.

"We had a 12-race deal with Robert, which we fulfilled, and we tried to get an extension but, evidently, he's decided to go somewhere else," said Mike Lanigan, who added that he and partner Carl Haas had not received any "official" notification from Doornbos.

Mad_Hatter
4th August 2009, 05:09
http://www.manmadeclothing.com/uploaded_images/bourdais-hugbubble-709116.jpg

:laugh:

TURN3
4th August 2009, 05:31

Bobby D was fast up until the 2 cars he cracked at Indy. In my opinion, NHL hasn't been the same since. I've just assumed that since as a whole, they are on a more limited budget they were dealing with what they had left and with Graham being the "team" car, he was getting the better of what was left.

I'm not of the believers that Seabass is going to come rushing back this season (maybe next). If NHL decides to run a 2nd car at all, look for Servia, Junqueira, or maybe even PT to see a few runs before the year is out. Now that I think about it, don't count out Tags if he has a little Wal-Mart & Tide $ to get a few races in.

fugariracing
4th August 2009, 06:30
I'd bet on Servia or Junqueira as on a limited budget NHL wouldn't turn to the Chrome Horn, plus he's been through there before albeit in a completely different era in 1995. If they run a second car, who knows.

Bobby D hasn't looked comfortable all year really, the Indy crashes are a good point. He hasn't been that quick on the road courses which should have been his bread and butter. Plus of late he has definitely not gotten on with Graham, the Watkins Glen dustup and now this one this weekend.

His father is funding the ride and he had good chemistry with HVM in '07, plus Cannon is amazing even if this year has been a devout struggle. I guess he made a 12-race commitment and now is exploring his options, though at this stage it's a little unusual.

Gluaistean
4th August 2009, 09:48

What do you guys think?

This will be good all round. I believe that Doorbos is getting inferior equipment to Rahal and has not shown (been able to show his true talent.

nigelred5
4th August 2009, 12:47
to be honest, I've rarely had the impression that the second car at Newman Haas had the same equipment as the primary car. Not sure if it was a personnel difference, or actual equipment differences, but there has almost always been a clear #2 IMHO.

I suspect Bobby D simply had a flat amount of cash, NHL said that will get us through 12 races - crash damage. NHL's fee was probably more than Daddy would pony up per race to stay with NHL. That same money probably goes a lot further at HVM. I found it curious that Doornbos had run under the McDonalds colors. I guess the absence of his primary sponsors was sign. Is the chemistry at NHL already showing the abscence of Paul Newman from the pit lane? We never had an obvious ride buy at NH before this season.

Chamoo
4th August 2009, 17:20
to be honest, I've rarely had the impression that the second car at Newman Haas had the same equipment as the primary car. Not sure if it was a personnel difference, or actual equipment differences, but there has almost always been a clear #2 IMHO.

I suspect Bobby D simply had a flat amount of cash, NHL said that will get us through 12 races - crash damage. NHL's fee was probably more than Daddy would pony up per race to stay with NHL. That same money probably goes a lot further at HVM. I found it curious that Doornbos had run under the McDonalds colors. I guess the absence of his primary sponsors was sign. Is the chemistry at NHL already showing the abscence of Paul Newman from the pit lane? We never had an obvious ride buy at NH before this season.

I think Doornbos probably signed onto 12 races hoping that NHL would be able to put something together for the end of the year.

Chris R
4th August 2009, 17:32
I think this is one of those cases where 2+2 somehow equals 3 - both Doornbos and the team are better than the results they have posted this year - probably a good move for both....

PA Rick
4th August 2009, 17:45
Racer.com is down - nothing from PT on twitter about the possibility of a ride. I would love it. Servia is under contract by Andretti and Bourdais may not want to race because of pending action with Torro Rosso. Would the Chrome Horn be welcome at Mid-Ohio?

jwhite9185
4th August 2009, 18:45
Funny, just yesterday i was thinking how Doornbos hasn't really set the world on fire this year...

DBell
5th August 2009, 13:33
Servia to NHL and Bobby D to HVM according to Speed.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-servia-to-nhl-bobby-d-to-hvm/

Servia is in for the road courses, but the ovals are to be determined.

nigelred5
5th August 2009, 14:29
Good to see Oriol in a NHL seat again. Always been a fan of his since he pole-vaulted turn two in the sigma car at Laguna seca. I'd love to see Oriol's results in a Ganassi car full time.
Something obviously just wasn't right with BobbyD at NHL. Just seems like the was zero chemistry.

Is Oriol the new Super-Sub?

Chamoo
5th August 2009, 15:22
Good to see Oriol in a NHL seat again. Always been a fan of his since he pole-vaulted turn two in the sigma car at Laguna seca. I'd love to see Oriol's results in a Ganassi car full time.
Something obviously just wasn't right with BobbyD at NHL. Just seems like the was zero chemistry.

Is Oriol the new Super-Sub?

Oriol has been Super-Sub for a while. He even has the cape to go with it.

garyshell
5th August 2009, 16:09
Oriol has been Super-Sub for a while. He even has the cape to go with it.

Yeah, but does he have a mask to go with that cape?

http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/page2/images/2008/07/15/paultracy.jpg

Gary

jackmart
5th August 2009, 17:59

Was Graham the second car last year? He drove the 06 then right? That is also when he won a race. Would love to see him win this weekend!!!

The Dispatch had an article on the change and I was shocked at Grahams response. I feel like they are becoming more like AGR in that they are finishing around where they are now and fighting is in the public eye. Check out the artilce

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2009/08/05/mid-ohio_8-5.ART_ART_08-05-09_C6_8AEM97T.html?sid=101

I think Graham should be more polite if he had issues with his teammate, I don't like to see anything make him look bad.

Mad_Hatter
5th August 2009, 19:09
*shrugs*

He expressed his opinion. I don't like infighting between one of my favorite teams, but this is no different than some of the past cold teamings. I don't suspect the situation at HVM will go any better. EJ and RD will probably both have the beat your teammate first mindset. Good move for Doornbos and Oriol, bad for EJ and probably HVM as a team is how I see this one playing out.

I'd still like to see how Seabass would go, but Servia will be another good addition. Expect him to be at the sharp end...

EagleEye
5th August 2009, 21:43
I thought that Bobby D might run out of funding before the year was out, but it seemed like he was set to finish the year with NHL. It has been quite a frustrating year, especially as he has been off pace at most tracks, and has had issues. Indy, certainly set his development back a bit and there just did not seem to be chemistry with his team. Given his fast start and pace in Champcar, one has to be a bit surprised to see him struggle this year.

NHL went through some major changes last year when it migrated from Champcar to the IRL. Some key people left the team, and while they picked up some good talent, there was some time spent in others getting up to speed. The team struggled a bit last year with gearbox woes, and getting to grips with the Dallara chassis (and bad parts they ended up getting) but ended up being on top for the Champcar teams new to the series by picking up two wins (St. Pete and Toronto).

At the end of last year the team really started to gel and it looked like this year could see them run up front at most of the events. But in the off season, the team made some interesting changes.

First, Justin Wilson was not re-signed, possibly due to budget constraints and also the possibility that Sebastian Bourdais might be available. When that did not occur, the team toyed with the idea of running three cars, with Graham, and paying drivers Bobby D and DD (you can figure that one out.) I never thought they would really run with three cars given their shop, and current crew and the team settled with GR and BD.

Another interesting internal twist was Graham’s engineer from last year being moved to the 2nd car, and new hire, Martin Pare, taking on engineering duties on GR’s #02 car. This was another sign that all was not well within, and seemed to be an interesting move given Todd Malloy’s tenure with the team, and past championship with PT and wins at Forsythe and Team Green before that. Graham proudly announced the change as being the big reason he was on pace early in the year in several interviews, though he was now in the team’s newer (lighter) car and has not quite had the pace of late.

The biggest thing hurting NHL is funding, just like half a dozen other teams. They are still rich in engineering talent, and though they still have no luck at Indy (two crashed cars, in two straight years) they are still a formable team. While Graham and Justin seemed to get on well, it was easy to see there was less interaction with BD.

Servia will be a big asset to the team, as he is steady, proven and level headed. Graham can learn a lesson or two from him, and both should work well together to help the team try and pick up one or two wins before the year is out. And that will be no easy task with the like of Penske, Ganassi and Justin Wilson (I said he would win two!). It will be interesting to see how this plays out for NHL, and Bobby D, and hopefully we will get an idea of who will be in the car at Homestead and Motegi. Another fun weekend ahead!

NickFalzone
5th August 2009, 21:55
ED, thanks for the behind the scenes info, all of that makes sense to me based on the performance I've seen from the team. I'm curious though, why have they only signed Servia for one race? Does this suggest that they will only run the 2nd car this weekend, and 1-car the rest of the season? Or do they have another driver on-deck for the rest of the season (ie a PT or a SB)?

Mad_Hatter
6th August 2009, 19:40
delete

Hoop-98
7th August 2009, 15:28
curtcavin (http://twitter.com/curtcavin) Doornbos signed through 2010 with HVM. #indycar (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23indycar)

rh

Chamoo
7th August 2009, 15:42
ED, thanks for the behind the scenes info, all of that makes sense to me based on the performance I've seen from the team. I'm curious though, why have they only signed Servia for one race? Does this suggest that they will only run the 2nd car this weekend, and 1-car the rest of the season? Or do they have another driver on-deck for the rest of the season (ie a PT or a SB)?

They have to run at least one more race after Mid-Ohio to get half the TEAM money for the second car, and 3 more races after Mid-Ohio to get the full TEAM money for the season for the second car.

I assume they will atleast run 1 more with 2 cars just to get that 600k or so.