PDA

View Full Version : 'last night (kentucky) showed you can do a race in one day"---BB

SarahFan
3rd August 2009, 17:19
I just read elsewhere that post race Brian B made the above comment..

thoughts?

NickFalzone
3rd August 2009, 18:05
I don't think he's cheap enough or dumb enough to make IRL events 1-day affairs. The recent move to 2-day weekends has apparently saved quite a bit of money for the teams, but my feeling is that it's less safe and additionally prevents some of the smaller teams from getting their cars running competitively. The best teams come off the truck fast, the slower teams need that extra time for tweaks. If this series comes into some money, a goal should be regular 3-day weekends. Going with 1-day weekends on a regular basis would be a disaster.

Chamoo
3rd August 2009, 18:26
I don't think he's cheap enough or dumb enough to make IRL events 1-day affairs. The recent move to 2-day weekends has apparently saved quite a bit of money for the teams, but my feeling is that it's less safe and additionally prevents some of the smaller teams from getting their cars running competitively. The best teams come off the truck fast, the slower teams need that extra time for tweaks. If this series comes into some money, a goal should be regular 3-day weekends. Going with 1-day weekends on a regular basis would be a disaster.

Agreed. It's nice to know that with rain involved, we can pull it off in 1 day, but I think a 1 day race weekend (?) is very amateur hour. Feels like going to the local oval or dirt track for races every saturday night.

3-day weekends should be the goal in the future. It's better for sponsors, fans, and the race tracks I would think. Anything less then 2-days is rediculous in my opinion.

champcarray
3rd August 2009, 20:46
I, too, was glad that the race went off so well. As a fan, I much prefer 3-day weekends. We always loved arriving at the track on Friday to get our bearings and see which teams had the advantage right off the truck. Then Saturday and Sunday morning would show us who could figure out the track!

grungex
3rd August 2009, 22:00
I'm curious as to just how much the lack of practice was a factor in the way the race played out...

garyshell
3rd August 2009, 22:44
I'm curious as to just how much the lack of practice was a factor in the way the race played out...

I think it had a lot to do with it. Not to take anything away fro the drive Ed had but I think the Vision guys made a great guess on the setup.

Everyone had to roll the dice.

Gary

grungex
3rd August 2009, 22:53
Kind of what I was thinking, the next oval should be telling.

EagleEye
4th August 2009, 20:12
This has been discussed internally for some time.

Long ago we had three day events, with cars running Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The problem soon became the cost associated with running three days (tires, fuel, crews, damage) and the lack of revenue generated by fans for two of the three days. Trust me, since the split practice and quals have not been hits with the fans, save for the major race events like the LBGP, and a few others. The term ghost town has been used and you can count the number of fans using both hands and feet.

The two day event had been requested by teams for some time, and even one day events to maximize the show for those on race day. Back in the Champcar OW glory days, we had plenty of track action all weekend with Champcars, lights, and Atlanics (and sometimes FF2000, Mazda Pro, and more). Not so much these days.

The one day race format was first played out when Champcar ran the Nazareth make up race (then one that was canceled due to snow). It seemed to go off without a hitch, though the teams had previously had two days of practice and quals prior to the snow fall we had on race morning.

I do not think that running three days, or one day would hurt/help the big teams versus the small teams, as that delta is built in the day both leave the shop. It does hurt those that arrive and miss the set up, however.

I think the majority of team owners and fans would not have a problem with one day shows. Two practices and quals in the morning, race in the afternoon. The engineers and drivers would love to get as much time as they can to get ready to race, so you might here them complain. The crews would love it!

I was not alone in fearing that Satruday's race would end up being a crash slugfest, due to the lack of practice. But the race turned out to be a fast and safe one. After three weeks of practice, the Indy 500 had far to many crashes, so is track time really the key to safety?

I do see that one day events would be great at places like Kentucky, Texas, etc. while we keeping the traditional three day formats at Long Beach, St. Pete and some others.

Easy Drifter
5th August 2009, 01:59
Speaking as an old Atlantic wrench 1 day events are a little too hectic and if you miss the set up or have a problem you are really behind the 8 ball.With a one day event if you have an engine problem or even a minor crash it is almost impossible to put a car on the track with any degree of confidence.You are just too rushed and the chances of error in preparation are greatly increased.Kentucky seemed to work but as a regular event I would be worried.

Alexamateo
5th August 2009, 17:11
Back in the day, it used to be done that way. Recall the famous race where AJ put the dirt car on the pole at MIlwaukee. That was a one day show, and they had run the previous day at Springfield IL on the mile dirt. They left Springfield and drove up to Milwaukee only to find the pavement car hadn't shown up so they pulled the dirt car of the trailer.

PA Rick
5th August 2009, 18:23
Back in the day, it used to be done that way. Recall the famous race where AJ put the dirt car on the pole at MIlwaukee. That was a one day show, and they had run the previous day at Springfield IL on the mile dirt. They left Springfield and drove up to Milwaukee only to find the pavement car hadn't shown up so they pulled the dirt car of the trailer.

And remember when they used to drive the car to the track then race it?

Personally, I enjoy 3 day weekend events. The fans can stay and enjoy the weekend and the spectators can make it a one day race only trip.