PDA

View Full Version : Avid F1 fan has renewed an old love; NASCAR

19th February 2007, 10:05
My grandparents used to take me to the local stock car track for as long as I can remember. Then in the 70's when it was tough to find NASCAR on TV I'd watch Buddy Baker and Bobby Alison and even built prizing winning model kits of their cars which I cherished.

However, being Canadian I was seduced by F1 and followed Gilles Villeneuve.

Over the years as F1 technology became so advanced that I don't credit the drivers as much as I used to. In my humble opinion the team deserves more credit than the driver. However, the cars are incredible pieces of engineering.

I never lost any respect for NASCAR, I just didn't have a driver to connect to. That has changed with Juan Pablo Montoya. Oddly enough I wasn't a fan of his in F1, but respected his decision to go to NASCAR.

During the race I signed up the Raceview to listen to the radio chatter for the 42 car and get closer to the action. It was fantasic! Despite some connectivity issues early (which I am sure will be fixed) it was better than anything F1 offers.

JPM was having fun and you could hear it in his voice later in the race during the tight racing after some of the caution flags. Despite being frustrated with a tight car, he sounded like he was enjoying racing again.

I have a feeling I am going to be following a LOT of NASCAR races this year. Well done NASCAR, you've made racing fun to watch.

Quetch
19th February 2007, 14:31
As a fellow open-wheel fan myself, I have to agree. Give credit where credit is due. Think what you may about the core product of NASCAR, what they have done for THE FAN over the last decades is simply amazing. What can I add? Go JPM and AJ!