PDA

View Full Version : How to remove or ban a moderator re Starter?

markabilly
2nd August 2009, 12:34
At first I thought i was the only one who had bump ins with his attitude and rude obnoxious emails, but more and more i have seen it with others.

So note my protest at his continued presence around here.

markabilly
2nd August 2009, 12:38
Per the following.

He got all hot and bothered over the word "fanboy" at one point in time.
here some others fussing. I would post where the thread started, but no doubt find myself scolded or banned for being in his territory and saying amen,

I received a message via a moderator because I used the word ***** with reference to the IRL. He deleted my post.

Now, as a person that comes to these boards everyday for years to read what people have to say and have done so more than others it is a little disconcerting to have a politically over sensitive prowler monitoring what people say.

I have seen worse. I have seen voyeurism at it's pinnacle with a certain member and not a peep. I have read numerous posts that have contained much worse than the word ***** yet the posts are still there.

This is a forum. I respect the function of the starter but, keep your personal affiliations to yourself with respect to the posters.

Most of us have had different opinions on many issues and I for one will admit to being obnoxious at times. But if you want to edit or delete my post for that word...then ban me. When you do so...I'll send you a few choice posts that remain on the boards and if you choose to use equal standards, then this place will be a lonely residence.

I replace the letter 'S' with a 'P' when I describe Taxi Cab racing. Same mod changes it back.
I probably will get Taxi Cab replaced soon.
I use NA*CAR (my edit) on other forums with no problem.

Lol

AMEN!!!

markabilly
2nd August 2009, 12:58
Originally Posted by Gluaistean http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/aria/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=670318#post670318)
I received a message via a moderator because I used the word ***** with reference to the IRL. He deleted my post.

Now, as a person that comes to these boards everyday for years to read what people have to say and have done so more than others it is a little disconcerting to have a politically over sensitive prowler monitoring what people say.

I have seen worse. I have seen voyeurism at it's pinnacle with a certain member and not a peep. I have read numerous posts that have contained much worse than the word ***** yet the posts are still there.

This is a forum. I respect the function of the starter but, keep your personal affiliations to yourself with respect to the posters.

Most of us have had different opinions on many issues and I for one will admit to being obnoxious at times. But if you want to edit or delete my post for that word...then ban me. When you do so...I'll send you a few choice posts that remain on the boards and if you choose to use equal standards, then this place will be a lonely residence.

Derek Daly is da man!

Last edited by Starter : 1st Aug 09 at 22:44.

guy complains about getting edited and he gets edited

Gluaistean
2nd August 2009, 16:49
The guy calls the series and forum the IRL. I told him if he was going to edit people he should note that since the amalgamation of the series it is Indycar.

No word yet. Brain is probably doing *hurls, lol

markabilly
3rd August 2009, 12:51
my compliant includes the very rude personal attacks that are in your emails and general attitude.
At least one poster who engaged in such an attack (and that is not taz) was banned for a while and rightly so by another mod but because you are a mod, then that is okay. Given how many I do know about, I am certain there are many more upon whom you have dished out the same treatment.

same rules should apply to you that you impose on others--but in your case, those rules are ignored, while you engage in a form of censorship based on your personal point of view coupled with personal attacks that would get others banned.

Garry Walker
3rd August 2009, 19:44
Starter is not a reasonable man.

patnicholls
4th August 2009, 01:35
For the rest of the people reading this, the Mods try to maintain a reasonable level of discourse. That means refraining from 1) Bad language - there are kids who read this board, not to mention that it interferes with intelligent communication. 2) Not using derogatory terms toward the series being discussed - there are members who are, and have been, fans of the IRL. Hurl is no more allowed than ChumpCar would be from the other side. That of course includes the various NASCAR derivatives. Criticizing people, things and actions, if that's what you wish to do, can be done without the use of derogatory terms. And finally, 3) No personal attacks toward or insulting other members of the board or, within reason, public figures.

Yep, agree entirely with this. Personally, I'm with Starter in that I don't believe in airing dirty laundry in 'public' and that's why PMs are PMs and also why we don't tell the forum at large why people have been banned etc as was mentioned in another thread. The 'general public' - i.e. the occasional or new users of this forum - have no interest in personal disputes between long-standing members and it should be that way. We're here to discuss racing, not each other.

As for the individual instances I'm not in a position to comment as I don't really get into the IndyCar forum much. However I'll say this: moderating most forums is a fairly thankless task at the best of times and particularly so for Starter with all the Champ Car/IRL history. You may not think so, but we absolutely hate editing people's posts, deleting stuff etc and it IS a last resort (not to mention a waste of our time when we have to trawl through entire threads). And number one reason for us having to edit stuff is when people wade into threads with an intention to provoke or with a massive agenda.

markabilly
4th August 2009, 02:24
I haven't sent you any emails, however there have been a few PMs. I won't quote your side of the PM as they are private, but I don't mind my side being known.

Maybe the message attached to an infraction on July 19th? I won't quote that one as it is private and I don't wish to embarress you in public.

What ?

you mean this is what you left out, your first PM in March of this year to me,
because you were "not wishing to embarrass me in public?", when the "value" was simply something you disagreed with:

If you don't have anything of value to say then don't say anything.

The post is gone.

With a follow up of:

You were warned about this and yet you posted this as well as several others afterwards. This is a ban for two weeks. When it's up, should you choose to resume. it will be permanent. I'd suggest you stay out of the IndyCar forum in the future.

Oh yes, your PM to me was very amusing.

Given the dumb discussion that was going on about the sorry state of affairs in the IRL, an organization must rely on the likes of Danica along with her flaunting her flesh, my comments (1) had far more validity and relevance than anything you posted in that thread, most of which was you continuing to jump on people for referring to the obvious supprters of Tony G. as being "fanboys" (oh, my, the horror of that!!)and (2) were made in obvious humor.

And my comments were nothing compared to the comments made in the f1 forum over the last couple of years about Danica and the sorry state of affairs of the IRL.

And I hear others are of a similar opinion about you as well, but fear can make people be silent.

For example, when I compare your moderation responses and attitude with that of Pino, I find Pino to be a breath of fresh.

When it comes to insulting people with intent to irritate and harm via PM, your editing and other actions, you are as bad as anything I have seen posted by anyone posting on this forum.

All you are doing is a form of trolling, challenging people to bow to your authority or respond very negatively in response to your assertion of ultimate authority, all the while being a "moderator". If you do not agree with what I or some other poster say, fine, but to act as a moderator and be rudely asserting your authority is ***************** (see, I saved you the effort of editing, would not want to wear anyone out)

You should have a nice vacation, maybe then you might be able to figure out what I am talking about. And unlike many of the overly sensitive types, it takes an awful lot to get me to be really mean to someone on the interent, indeed, i can not really think of posting anything with malicious intent towards someone on this forum, with the sole exception of you, and you braought that down upon your self.

I have obviously wasted enough of my time on this subject.

Jag_Warrior
4th August 2009, 06:50
I've "known" Starter for quite awhile - both as a poster and a moderator. He was here during the worst of the board wars between CART/CCWS fans and IRL fans. And I think he's done as good a job of remaining as reasonable and impartial as any racing fan could.

But look, between individuals, there will always be differences of opinion. But to be honest guys, IMO, Starter generally goes easier on people than DemolicionChica ever did. I liked her too - seemed to be a very cool person. But with her, BAM!!! Your azz would just be gone. "What happened to Bob?" - - - - "Uh, Bob who?" People don't get banned around here like they did a few years ago. I'm not saying that things are looser now, but not everybody that's here now would still be here if this was 2002-03.

Chill. There's bigger problems in the world than this. But I support Starter remaining as moderator. Be careful what you wish for. Ya never know, if you get rid of Starter... the next moderator could be me. How would that be? Bwaaaahaaahaaaa!!!! :vader:

markabilly
4th August 2009, 14:13
Ya never know, if you get rid of Starter... the next moderator could be me. How would that be? Bwaaaahaaahaaaa!!!! :vader:

Do not send rude pm's like to people relying on threat and intimidation over nothing and be willing to post what you say about whoever for the world to see, and you will be fine. If all else fails, drink some kool aid and you will even do an even better job. But you better be nicer to sara palin as what kind of example does that set? afterall, she is a public figure--no matter how deserving, she be!

patnicholls
4th August 2009, 16:02
Do not send rude pm's like to people relying on threat and intimidation over nothing and be willing to post what you say about whoever for the world to see, and you will be fine. If all else fails, drink some kool aid and you will even do an even better job.

Completely disagree with the highlighted bit of what you've posted - moderation is something that goes on behind closed doors and that's the same for all mods on all bits of the forum.

If I or any other mod tell someone off via PM, that's where it stays. Public slagging matches - like the one you've started with this thread - are not the point of this forum and never will be. Bringing personal disputes into the forum-at-large are a deliberate attempt to provoke and bring threads off-topic, which is the number one reason why threads get closed and people end up getting told off.

Jag_Warrior
4th August 2009, 18:02
Do not send rude pm's like to people relying on threat and intimidation over nothing and be willing to post what you say about whoever for the world to see, and you will be fine. If all else fails, drink some kool aid and you will even do an even better job. But you better be nicer to sara palin as what kind of example does that set? afterall, she is a public figure--no matter how deserving, she be!

The main reason I would not/could not be a moderator here, Markabilly: after one week of my reign of terror, the herd would be so thin that they'd have to hold a recruiting drive for new members. There wouldn't be any rude emails or PM's - certainly not coming into my inbox. There would just be a lot of people with the words "Banned" under their names.

No offense to you or anyone else. But generally speaking, these days, I can usually see it coming when someone eventually gets a ban (temporary or permanent). Now, years ago, there were a couple of pretty funny, witty and/or crazy people who just barely stepped across the line (as far as I could see), and they got executed. But these days, you almost have to beg to be banned.

So no, it wouldn't be me as a mod. But just think about that... the next one could be a lot worse than whatever you think of Starter. There HAS to be some amount of order on these boards. And the reason that I've stayed here for so long is because there is a very good balance of order, fun and information.

And no, my feelings about Sarah Palin are not at all balanced (or fair). But you and I both know that she probably comes here every other day to read my diatribes about her - she's an attention wh### (word that'll get you banned... see how that works?!). The multisyllabic words might throw her. But she just loves the way the big Jag rides her like a rented, three legged government mule. Oh yeah, she's freaky like that! :p :

Now calm down and carry on! :s mokin:

markabilly
5th August 2009, 06:51
Completely disagree with the highlighted bit of what you've posted - moderation is something that goes on behind closed doors and that's the same for all mods on all bits of the forum.

If I or any other mod tell someone off via PM, that's where it stays. Public slagging matches - like the one you've started with this thread - are not the point of this forum and never will be. Bringing personal disputes into the forum-at-large are a deliberate attempt to provoke and bring threads off-topic, which is the number one reason why threads get closed and people end up getting told off.
I get it now, you are a moderator; therefore you are free to be as nasty and as rude as you please as long as you do it in a PM. In other words, like some parents who wish to practice the old rule of do as I say, but not as I do, because I am the boss.

As I told him last night, when he threatened me with a permanent ban in response to me repeating his threats, if I spoke to you like that in person, you would want to hit me.............but that is okay to make such threats if you are a moderator and you do it in a PM.

And he never took me up on my offer to publish it all.

Whatever, the rest of you can live in fear and take such in silence, but not I.

markabilly
5th August 2009, 06:56
The main reason I would not/could not be a moderator here, Markabilly: after one week of my reign of terror, the herd would be so thin that they'd have to hold a recruiting drive for new members. There wouldn't be any rude emails or PM's - certainly not coming into my inbox. There would just be a lot of people with the words "Banned" under their names.

No offense to you or anyone else. But generally speaking, these days, I can usually see it coming when someone eventually gets a ban (temporary or permanent). Now, years ago, there were a couple of pretty funny, witty and/or crazy people who just barely stepped across the line (as far as I could see), and they got executed. But these days, you almost have to beg to be banned.

So no, it wouldn't be me as a mod. But just think about that... the next one could be a lot worse than whatever you think of Starter. There HAS to be some amount of order on these boards. And the reason that I've stayed here for so long is because there is a very good balance of order, fun and information.

And no, my feelings about Sarah Palin are not at all balanced (or fair). But you and I both know that she probably comes here every other day to read my diatribes about her - she's an attention wh### (word that'll get you banned... see how that works?!). The multisyllabic words might throw her. But she just loves the way the big Jag rides her like a rented, three legged government mule. Oh yeah, she's freaky like that! :p :

Now calm down and carry on! :s mokin:

see, you have just proven you have all the talents necessary to be a major upgrade.

patnicholls
5th August 2009, 16:12
I get it now, you are a moderator; therefore you are free to be as nasty and as rude as you please as long as you do it in a PM. In other words, like some parents who wish to practice the old rule of do as I say, but not as I do, because I am the boss.

As I told him last night, when he threatened me with a permanent ban in response to me repeating his threats, if I spoke to you like that in person, you would want to hit me.............but that is okay to make such threats if you are a moderator and you do it in a PM.

And he never took me up on my offer to publish it all.

Whatever, the rest of you can live in fear and take such in silence, but not I.

No, it's nothing to do with 'authority' (I don't think 'authority' is the right word to describe us moderators - we're the street-sweepers cleaning up all the rubbish, not the mayor telling everyone what to do).

If you have a disagreement with another member, you keep it to a PM rather than posting it on the forum - that's common sense. Much in the same way that if you fall out with someone in real life, you talk about it with them and not with other people because that can make it worse. It's not the same analogy as parenting - as a moderator the last thing we want to do is get into conversations like this, it's a waste of our time (in addition to clearing spam etc, doing fantasy league/pickems admin, etc and actually making normal posts about racing). Our ideal moderating scenario is everyone behaving themselves so we don't have to tell them to - us intervening is a last resort.

I don't know what you're talking about with 'fear' and 'threats' - what does that even mean in the context of an internet forum?