PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Tv viewers

SarahFan
31st July 2009, 05:05
402,000 viewers tuned into the race, according to Nielsen ratings.

for those keeping score at home... season to date..

.83 YTD avg with Indy
.52 YTD avg sans Indy

drewdawg727
31st July 2009, 05:21
yuck...

Chamoo
31st July 2009, 05:47
402,000 viewers tuned into the race, according to Nielsen ratings.

for those keeping score at home... season to date..

.83 YTD avg with Indy
.52 YTD avg sans Indy

These are USA only ratings correct?

And I understand that it's normal to quote the TV ratings, however, it seems that number of viewers seems more important then the actual rating does it not?

Ratings guage how successful a show is compared to others, but viewers is what we want to know and what the sponsors care about is it not?

Easy Drifter
31st July 2009, 08:48
They won't show the Cdn. viewers. However they will have dropped like a stone as the races after Toronto are all on TSN2 which the majority do not subscribe to. TSN proper is on pretty well all basic cable and satellite services. TSN2 is on an add on package, which means you have to subscribe to a group of channels. In my case the others do not interest me so I won't pay just to get IRL races. Most other TSN2 shows are of no interest and the other channels of even less interest.
My thoughts are echoed by some others locally who would watch if it was on TSN.

Lousada
31st July 2009, 13:40
These are USA only ratings correct?

And I understand that it's normal to quote the TV ratings, however, it seems that number of viewers seems more important then the actual rating does it not?

Ratings guage how successful a show is compared to others, but viewers is what we want to know and what the sponsors care about is it not?

No, 1 ratings point means 1% of the total amount of households. There are 114.500.000 households according to Nielsen so Toronto had 1.145.000 viewers. A .35 rating means 0.35% of the total households.

What you are thinking of is the share, which is never published on the forums.

Chamoo
31st July 2009, 21:52
No, 1 ratings point means 1% of the total amount of households. There are 114.500.000 households according to Nielsen so Toronto had 1.145.000 viewers. A .35 rating means 0.35% of the total households.

What you are thinking of is the share, which is never published on the forums.

See, that isn't nessicarily true. If that were the case, 402,000 would bring in a .4 rating, where as Edmonton, with 402,000 viewers brought in a .35 rating.

As for the TSN2 package deal in Canada, I would contact Rogers, they don't advertise it, but I believe there is a way to buy a channel for 2.99$ without buying the package.

Chamoo
1st August 2009, 03:27
Redo your math. 402,000 divided by 114,500,000 is .35.

My bad. I didn't have to redo my math. I have to relearn it. I'm sorry for calling you out on that one.

*Kicks self*

Mark in Oshawa
1st August 2009, 20:00
All I know is every race Ken brings this up, as if he has some magic bullet that the IRL ignored to get them on a tv network and PAY them at the same time.

I said it at the start of the season, the ratings will suck, the IRL knows this, and we all knew they would, but the broadcasts themselves are good, and in this world where every TV property is losing ratings save maybe the NFL, this isn't the end of the world.

Racing is a niche, and the IRL is a niche inside of that niche. It used to be greater, now it isn't. AS long as the TV property makes money on some level, and is going to grow over time, that is all we can hope for. It would be nice to be on more screens, but it isn't, and when it was, the ratings were falling. AT some level, creating excitment and demand for the product isn't TV's job, it is the IRL's job. So bashing VS for having low ratings is stupid.....

garyshell
1st August 2009, 21:35
All I know is every race Ken brings this up, as if he has some magic bullet that the IRL ignored to get them on a tv network and PAY them at the same time.

A magic bullet he refuses to share with us.

Gary

SarahFan
1st August 2009, 21:52
I see mark is still upset with the messenger

garyshell
1st August 2009, 21:57
I see mark is still upset with the messenger

Or the messenger doesn't understand or refuses to understand Mark's message.

Gary

SarahFan
1st August 2009, 22:07
The nbers are what they are..... I posted them without comment

Marks comments are projection

Alfa Fan
1st August 2009, 22:11
I think the point is we know the viewing figures are , but continuly posting them reminding us when no-one hear can do anything about it is a bit pointless.

SarahFan
1st August 2009, 23:34
I think the point is we know the viewing figures are , but continuly posting them reminding us when no-one hear can do anything about it is a bit pointless.

Had someone already posted the Edmonton #?

If so my aplogy for posting it a second time

Alfa Fan
1st August 2009, 23:49
My point is the numbers were bad last year, they've been worse this year and there still just as bad as they have been all season. I don't see why they merit going on about. If they'd been higher all year and now they'd fallen, that would be newsworthy, but continuly posting about how crap they are when they have been all year is a bit pointless don't you think?

SarahFan
2nd August 2009, 00:32
My point is the numbers were bad last year, they've been worse this year and there still just as bad as they have been all season. I don't see why they merit going on about. If they'd been higher all year and now they'd fallen, that would be newsworthy, but continuly posting about how crap they are when they have been all year is a bit pointless don't you think?

I think the tv are relevant

But the solution is so so simple

Next thurs when you see a 'kentucky tv ratings' thread

Don't click on it

Jacques
2nd August 2009, 01:15

How long will sponsors wait ? Explanations don't pay the bills.

chuck34
2nd August 2009, 21:22
How long will sponsors wait ? Explanations don't pay the bills.

The sponsors that are in the sport know the situation, they knew it last year, they knew it the 10 years before that, and they know it for next year. Bills ARE being paid (mostly).

As for the rest of this stuff, it's been gone over and over and over and over. We all know where the TV numbers are. We all hope that they will get better over time. I (and some others) think that VS is a great place to start that recovery, along with things like the new rules at Kentucy, etc.

Constantly posting the TV numbers (with or without comment) serves no purpose what-so-ever. And it's getting really old.

And yes Ken I'll take your sollution, and not click on your threads anymore.

Alfa Fan
2nd August 2009, 22:28
The sponsors that are in the sport know the situation, they knew it last year, they knew it the 10 years before that, and they know it for next year. Bills ARE being paid (mostly).

As for the rest of this stuff, it's been gone over and over and over and over. We all know where the TV numbers are. We all hope that they will get better over time. I (and some others) think that VS is a great place to start that recovery, along with things like the new rules at Kentucy, etc.

Constantly posting the TV numbers (with or without comment) serves no purpose what-so-ever. And it's getting really old.

And yes Ken I'll take your sollution, and not click on your threads anymore.

Yes, exactly the point I was trying to make, I'm glad some understand.

FormerFF
2nd August 2009, 22:35
I think the tv are relevant

But the solution is so so simple

Next thurs when you see a 'kentucky tv ratings' thread

Don't click on it

I'm interested in what the TV numbers are, and appreciate Ken posting them. To me, they are one of the few hard data points that I can find on the health of the series.

NickFalzone
2nd August 2009, 23:00
We haven't gotten the ratings yet, but my guess is that the Kentucky race would have done better if it ran today, it looks like the Cup race got rained out in Pocono. Meanwhile last night there was the Nascar Nationwide race in Iowa on ESPN and the Truck race in Nashville on Speed, so pretty segmented racing audience that may not have tuned in to the IRL race. It seems the only time the IRL can get decent ratings is when it's not in direct competition with NASCAR. But NASCAR ratings dont seem to be much affected whether the IRL runs or not.

DBell
2nd August 2009, 23:18
I'm interested in what the TV numbers are, and appreciate Ken posting them. To me, they are one of the few hard data points that I can find on the health of the series.

Same for me. Keep posting them Ken

grungex
3rd August 2009, 22:04
National ratings for the Edmonton race which started at 5 p.m. were .24. That means 279,000 TV households tuned in. In the Indianapolis market, the race earned a .73 Nielsen rating, meaning 8,000 TV households watched.http://thescore.ibj.com/

SarahFan
3rd August 2009, 22:14
I'll update the opening posts #'s when kentuckys come out thurs...

But a little additional info

Abc non Indy races averaged .825

Versus average is .295