PDA

View Full Version : I´m glad williams didnt sell his team to BMW.

ratonmacias
30th July 2009, 04:39
Well as much as a shock it is to me that BMW is out they were a faceless team even when succesful. their most recognized driver was Jaques Villeneuve and that was 3 years ago. Kubica might be atractive as a driver to some fans but not one of the big hitters.

in my view BMW should have gotten a better driver than either of the two they have and specially a more mediatic one as their drivers are worthles in this world ruled by the marketing dept.

with all this it would be a really sad day if the team in trouble was williams and not sauber.

Shifter
30th July 2009, 04:51
I'm a business student and I did a paper on Frank Williams and his business sense in F1. There's a reason why there is still a team with his name on it when others have folded. Success is harder to come by these days, but he has made the right moves and now despite the current climate, regs, and economy his current star driver is bagging points-scoring finishes late in the season. Look for him to also outlast other independants like Vijay and others who join in 2010. Remember when, after losing them as a supplier, he said that BMW lacked an understanding of the sport? Looks like ole Frank was right again.

Saint Devote
30th July 2009, 13:02
Definitely a reason why Williams is still around - because he has a burning passion for f1 unlike the manufacturers. It is what he does and wants to do.

He is prepared to and has risked everything before to remain in raising - mortgaging his house to ensure that there was a car for Piers Courage.

Then as he understands the business because he must and because he loves it, he picks similar people. His single greatest selection was that of Patrick Head. Second most was AyJay.

And of course in the later years, being part of the original teams around when Bernie gathered the sport and turned it into the incredible success it is - the old boys network - is also an important factor.

Anyone that has been passionate about f1 for years, decades, will not be surprised that the manufacturers are falling by the wayside.

You see, they do not fathom that being a racing team to teams such as Williams, is as they are auto manufacturers. Motor racing is not something that "you do", it is not a marketing program, it is who you are.

Saint Devote
30th July 2009, 13:12
Robert Kubica is a top driver. And dismissing him is just the same big mistake people did after Button left Williams at the end of 2000 for Benetton.

I think it is just as sad that Sauber may not be around. They may not have had the success that Williams has had in f1, and they made the error - on reflection - to join with BMW, but if not for the world economic collapse things might have been different.

But Sauber has been around motor racing for a long time - since the 1960's. His team started to be widely known when he constructed his first sports cars - the beautiful BASF Saubers.

So let us hope that someone will rescue the Sauber team.

ratonmacias
30th July 2009, 16:07
Robert Kubica is a top driver. And dismissing him is just the same big mistake people did after Button left Williams at the end of 2000 for Benetton.

I think it is just as sad that Sauber may not be around. They may not have had the success that Williams has had in f1, and they made the error - on reflection - to join with BMW, but if not for the world economic collapse things might have been different.

But Sauber has been around motor racing for a long time - since the 1960's. His team started to be widely known when he constructed his first sports cars - the beautiful BASF Saubers.

So let us hope that someone will rescue the Sauber team.

im not dismissing kubica as a driver just as a public figure that every team needs in at least one of the drivers to attract sponsors.

what if alonso would have been signed for bmw and he would have brought in with him santander and mutua madrileña?

and im not dissing sauber as a racing organisation but their fanbase is rather slim when compared to williams'.

CNR
1st August 2009, 00:57
Kubica might be atractive as a driver to some fans but not one of the big hitters.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/51457,news,bmw-blames-recession-as-it-quits-formula-1

Kubica, the man world champion Lewis Hamilton measured himself against as they rose together through the ranks,

I say give him a good car

ratonmacias
3rd August 2009, 00:57
and i say give a good car to half the grid. hell even button can win with a good car