PDA

View Full Version : Team Penske vs. Target Chip Gannassi Racing

SarahFan
28th July 2009, 14:43
http://www.penskeracing.com/ vs. http://www.chipganassiracing.com/

clearly Indycars top 2 teams

Roger has more history...more 500 wins...and Marlboro for 20 years...

But Chip has had target for going on 15 years now...

Roger has had unsers and andrettis and Mears... not to mention tracy, fittipaldi, hornish and helio....

but Chip has had Zanardi and Montoya....not to mention Vasser and Wheldon.... and Now Dixon and Dario....and currently is 1-2 in the championship......and not to mention that Chip always seemed ahead of the curve when diversity in engines/chassis/tires were in play

Indycars 2 greatest teams?......I'd say that's a given, with Penske getting the nod over time

but if you were an up and coming hotshoe and were offered a contract TODAY...... which team do you go with?

thoughts?
discussion?

NickFalzone
28th July 2009, 15:00
I have to give Penske the nod because technologically, they're either about even with Gannassi at most events, or a clear step ahead. I look at a race like Edmonton, and clearly Penske had some design stuff going on (prob in suspension areas) that really kept them ahead of the pack. Those 3 were consistently the fastest all weekend. Whereas TCG had decent results, they were struggling for speed. In most areas, TCG and TP are even, but I have to give TP the nod for their expertise in car development particularly on tricky tracks like Edmonton. Gannassi's always been strong on the ovals, but Penske usually finds equal speed by race day. I've also found Roger's operation to be a little more polished overall. Gold Medal to TP and a strong silver to TCG.

underpowered
28th July 2009, 21:29
I would have to go with Penske. I think Chip has had some great drivers and that can sometimes make up for his cars not being the very best.

This year is a good example. Penske cars have been great at every track and that gives his drivers a head start. Chip's team, on the other hand, seem to be chasing a bit more.

I think that if you put Dixon and Franchitti in Penske cars they would have put a good gap on the field by now.

All that being said I think Helio has helped Penske strengthen his current IRL team and Scott has done the same for Chip. A great driver in a great team for over 5 years has got to help.

Hoop-98
28th July 2009, 23:32
<Begin Opinion>
Penske, IMHO, is the premier choice. Based on long term commitment, professionalism, engineering (Dampers!) etc. People often underestimate the role dampers play in oval racing. They can make the driver comfortable or scare them to death. A comfortable driver can trim more and go quicker.
<End opinion>

rh

TURN3
28th July 2009, 23:54
Penske, hands down. His advantage is mostly the shock program. He used to design and build his own, selling older models to competition as he developed new tech. Not sure if he still make their own but the program resources are definately there.

Sidenote: Michael Andretti also drove for Chip.

nigelred5
29th July 2009, 01:10
Penske still has a large shock business. I had a Penske shock on a yamaha I had for a while.

http://www.penskeshocks.com/

Penske, easy choice. He wins Indy, regularly and everything else that goes with it comes that much easier and RP is always at the top of someone's list. If racing in other series is an interest, I might be swayed towards Ganassi a little more, but only a little.

Mark in Oshawa
30th July 2009, 05:26
Chip has done well in Indy Car, but for pure track record, you go with Roger. The class and grace with which he runs his racing programs, plus the absolutely calm way they conduct business would make it a great place to work. Chip on the other hand, has had his moments........

ozrevhead
3rd August 2009, 08:00
I would have to go with Penske. I think Chip has had some great drivers and that can sometimes make up for his cars not being the very best.

This year is a good example. Penske cars have been great at every track and that gives his drivers a head start. Chip's team, on the other hand, seem to be chasing a bit more.

I think that if you put Dixon and Franchitti in Penske cars they would have put a good gap on the field by now.

All that being said I think Helio has helped Penske strengthen his current IRL team and Scott has done the same for Chip. A great driver in a great team for over 5 years has got to help.
you still have to be good enough to drive the bloody thing :mad:

Roger Penske doesnt suffer fools lightly

PA Rick
3rd August 2009, 15:15
Penske, hands down. His advantage is mostly the shock program. He used to design and build his own, selling older models to competition as he developed new tech. Not sure if he still make their own but the program resources are definately there.

Sidenote: Michael Andretti also drove for Chip.

I think I heard that many F1 teams use Penske Shocks, or at least contract Penske for shock development.

underpowered
3rd August 2009, 23:22
you still have to be good enough to drive the bloody thing :mad:

Roger Penske doesnt suffer fools lightly

Sorry, didnt mean to insult Briscoe (I worked out you were a Briscoe fan by the oz in your name), but lets face it, he didnt do so well when he was teamed with Scott.

TURN3
4th August 2009, 01:14
Sorry, didnt mean to insult Briscoe (I worked out you were a Briscoe fan by the oz in your name), but lets face it, he didnt do so well when he was teamed with Scott.

I don't think that is a very fair comparison. Briscoe was a rookie wasn't he? Or at least on the very edge of beginning his career. And, Chip's team was certainly struggling then, Dixon wasn't lighting the world on fire either. Those were the AGR & RHL days.

I still think from a team standpoint you go with Penske but Chip's 2 drivers are better today...barely.

underpowered
4th August 2009, 05:46
I don't think that is a very fair comparison. Briscoe was a rookie wasn't he? Or at least on the very edge of beginning his career. And, Chip's team was certainly struggling then, Dixon wasn't lighting the world on fire either. Those were the AGR & RHL days.

I still think from a team standpoint you go with Penske but Chip's 2 drivers are better today...barely.

Fair point on Briscoe. I just find it difficult to support an Australian.

It has to be the dream team....Dixon and Franchitti in Penske cars.

bravefish
13th August 2009, 16:35
I have to give Penske the nod because technologically, they're either about even with Gannassi at most events, or a clear step ahead. I look at a race like Edmonton, and clearly Penske had some design stuff going on (prob in suspension areas) that really kept them ahead of the pack. Those 3 were consistently the fastest all weekend. Whereas TCG had decent results, they were struggling for speed. In most areas, TCG and TP are even, but I have to give TP the nod for their expertise in car development particularly on tricky tracks like Edmonton. Gannassi's always been strong on the ovals, but Penske usually finds equal speed by race day. I've also found Roger's operation to be a little more polished overall. Gold Medal to TP and a strong silver to TCG.

That theory got blown away at Mid-Ohio when Dixon won by half a minute and Franchitti was being held up for half the race by Briscoe. It seems to swing in roundabouts lately, but in the last few years overall Ganassi has had the edge. No denying Penske history though - pretty impressive.

V12
13th August 2009, 17:09
With all this spec car nonsense of recent years, can Penske still get an advantage from self-developed shocks and the like? Obviously the fact they're always at the front mean they must be doing something right, but figured it would be to do with setup and organisation.

This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely interested to know whether any parts on the Dallara are open to bespoke development still? I hope so.

wedge
13th August 2009, 22:54
Chip has done well in Indy Car, but for pure track record, you go with Roger. The class and grace with which he runs his racing programs, plus the absolutely calm way they conduct business would make it a great place to work. Chip on the other hand, has had his moments........

Exactly.

Penske conducts business with an amount of common decency.

Chip on the other hand can be an ungrateful so and so...

nigelred5
14th August 2009, 17:14
I look at how each owner has treated his drivers over the years. It's no suprise to me that he has drivers like Rick mears with life long commitments to the man and his team. How long has Marlboro been around now sponsoring cars devoid of their name? That tells me a lot. We have rarely ever heard of open discord within the organization or between drivers. Look at how he has handled Helio and Will Power this year. RP obviously knows business and knew what Helio was involved in. RP simply could have cut him loose, just as he could have cut Will loose after Helio's return, but RP handled it with class and ended up moving his team resources around to give Will a six race deal with rumours of a full season deal next year. I think Roger has always been a good judge of driving talent, and maybe a better judge of personalities that fit well in racing. I look at the general lack of major turnover within his ranks. Chip team's are quite successful, however his teams seem to reflect a much different personality than RP. Chip's Italian and I think Chip likes a little excitement around. RP is all business!