PDA

View Full Version : should brawn gp be allowed to race without replacing the faulty parts

CNR
26th July 2009, 01:05
Ross Brawn confirmed that the piece of Rubens Barrichello's car that fell off and struck Massa on the helmet

fell off bull SH*T nothing would fall off then fly that far

ioan
26th July 2009, 02:32
I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to say.
Some punctuation would probably help make that phrase intelligible.

Rollo
26th July 2009, 02:55
As far as I understand it, the FIA haven't returned the offending part to Brawn to determine how it failed.

If the part is a design fault, then it would require a redesign on the area, if for argument sake, the part itself was struck by something else (which we don't know yet) then it's not the car's fauult.

The question of whether the part is faulty hasn't yet been adequately answered. If the car is banned it might be like blaming Concorde for being at fault when it crashed... we don't know.

nigelred5
26th July 2009, 03:04
I read an interview with R Brawn report on another site that said a lower spring failed, not the upper one in the pictures being posted. He said the cap on the damper dislodged allowing the spring to come off of the damper.?? I"ve searched through so many sites this evening after watching quallys on the DVR I lost track of where I saw it. If I can find it again, I'll post the link.

nigelred5
26th July 2009, 03:16
Ross Brawn confirmed that the piece of Rubens Barrichello's car that fell off and struck Massa on the helmet

fell off bull SH*T nothing would fall off then fly that far

800 gram pieces of coiled spring steel will do all sorts of things at 140mph. Ever heard of a bouncing betty? I suspect that spring would behave in a very unpredictable way especially coming off of afailed damper. We have no idea from the reports I'e read exactly where it fell off of Barrichello's car, nor what it hit on the ground to bounce in the air again before Massa hit it at over 100 mph. A spring at full compression could possibly come loose like a gunshot. A round spring hitting a rear tire could be flung hundreds of feet in the air. Think of how a batting machine works. It would also have been travelling at what ever rate Barichello's car was when it was flung off and been rolling/bouncing/tumbling down the track. Noone was within 5 sec ahead of Massa on track and I heard no reports of other drivers striking anything. The driver's head is what, maybe 24" at best off of the road surface on an F1 car? It wasn't that far off the ground

Easy Drifter
26th July 2009, 05:40
The current springs on a F1 car are torsion bars not coil springs as I understand it. In other words probably a solid tube of steel (probably) loaded in tension. In a way like the front spring on the old VW and as used on F Vee but much more compact and sophisticated.
It would be flying down the track almost like a bullet and at probably with a closing speed of 200+ mph.
On the shots I saw you can see it coming for just a split second.
I once got hit by a fairly small stone flug up by the car in front of me in a slow turn, probably 60 MPH. I saw it coming in an arc and ducked taking a very glancing blow on the top of my helmet. Despite the low speed and light weight of the stone it gave me a real jolt.
This was a relatively heavy projectile at far higher speed and pretty much a direct hit.
Wether it was a part failure or an assembly mistake we do not know and may never know.
Mechanics can make mistakes, especially tired ones. I know only too well after working on race cars for around 30 years.

Roamy
26th July 2009, 07:55
I am confident that Brawn will be able to secure the spring, thereby eliminating any need for disqualification.

nigelred5
26th July 2009, 14:28
I saw another report that clarified that it was the coil over springfrom the central rear damper from Rubens car which is apparently a standard approved and controlled part this year. Braun confirmed it was a spring that weighed 800 grams. Sometimes things happen. It could be metal fatigue, an assembly error,an installation or set up error, even a faulty part from a supplier. Considering it failed, it would kinda have to be replaced. The question would be, was that damper improperly modified by the team pushing the legality envelope? That is something that is Highly likely with Ross Brawns teams.

BeansBeansBeans
26th July 2009, 14:31
Banning Brawn would be futile.

If you banned every team who ever shed a part on-track you'd be watching an empty ribbon of tarmac.

Ari
27th July 2009, 01:53
I am confident that Brawn will be able to secure the spring, thereby eliminating any need for disqualification.

I don't know if that was supposed to be funny but it was. :P

Why is this thread still open?

CNR
27th July 2009, 07:24
I don't know if that was supposed to be funny but it was. :P

Why is this thread still open?

why

Q:should brawn gp be allowed to race without replacing the faulty parts (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=666391#post666391)
shoud they be alowed to replace the parts where the cars are in parc fermé