PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Team

underpowered
23rd July 2009, 23:16
This is a variation on my favourite driver thread. Let’s have some fun
You have just secured a sponsor for $8M and need more sponsors but you have enough for a team next year.

You plan to run two cars and find one more major sponsor. My questions are.

1. Who will be your drivers? Lets not get too concerned about their current contracts.

2. Who will be you race engineers? Dito on the contracts

3. Who will you target for sponsorship?

I'm off to do a bit more research before I answer.

DanicaFan
23rd July 2009, 23:28
I like it underpowered..

My Dream Team..

Team Name - Danica Patrick Racing

Drivers - Danica Patrick & Dario Franchitti

Race Strategists - Michael Andretti & Tim Cindric

Sponsors - GoDaddy.com, Motorola, Meijer, McDonald's, United States Postal Service, NOS Energy Drinks, Valvoline, Pioneer

** I also would have Wendy Venturini as our personal pit lane and team reporter/PR person.

TURN3
24th July 2009, 01:43
I like it underpowered..

My Dream Team..

Sponsors - GoDaddy.com, Motorola, Meijer, McDonald's, United States Postal Service, NOS Energy Drinks, Valvoline, Pioneer

** I also would have Wendy Venturini as our personal pit lane and team reporter/PR person.

What about engineers? That was part of the question,not race strategists. And why Michael? Its pretty easy to call your driver into the pits on the first yellow when said driver is at the back of the pack every race. Nothing can get worse in that situation so I'd say he's no genius on race strategy.

By the way, my engineers would be Tony Cicale and Mo Nunn...but you already knew who they are right my vastest knowledge one?

Drivers: PT & Dario
Sponsor: Kool (with those bad ass looing cars they had at the end)

underpowered
24th July 2009, 04:19
My Dream Team

Drivers: Scott Dixon, Graham Rahal

Engineers: Eric Cowdin (Scott), Martin Pare (Graham)

Major Sponsor: Apple Computer, Intel

I think Graham would enjoy racing with Scott.

I would paint one of the cars white with a big Apple Logo. The other car would be Intel.

EagleEye
24th July 2009, 04:34
Drivers:

Justin Wilson
Will Power

Engineers:

Todd Malloy
Eric Cowdin

RS:

Tim Cindric
Mike Hull

Crew Chiefs:

Rick Rinanmen
Mitch Davis

Hospitality:

NHL

PR:

Kathy Lauterbach (best legs in the bus)

Sponsors:

Target

DanicaFan
24th July 2009, 07:18
Turn 3 notified me I missed the engineers so I added them in. Thanks Turn.

I like it underpowered..

My Dream Team..

Race Engineers - Eddie Jones & Gian Paolo Dallara

underpowered
24th July 2009, 11:49
Drivers:

Justin Wilson
Will Power

Engineers:

Todd Malloy
Eric Cowdin

RS:

Tim Cindric
Mike Hull

Crew Chiefs:

Rick Rinanmen
Mitch Davis

Hospitality:

NHL

PR:

Sponsors:

Target

Good call... You chose two excellent engineers. Tim Cindric, Mike Hull ....You know your talent....

But you could do better with the sponsor.......

But on the whole...I am impressed

Chris R
24th July 2009, 12:00
What about engineers? That was part of the question,not race strategists. And why Michael? Its pretty easy to call your driver into the pits on the first yellow when said driver is at the back of the pack every race. Nothing can get worse in that situation so I'd say he's no genius on race strategy.

By the way, my engineers would be Tony Cicale and Mo Nunn...but you already knew who they are right my vastest knowledge one?

Drivers: PT & Dario
Sponsor: Kool (with those bad ass looing cars they had at the end)

I am no Michael fan - but as Danica's race strategist she has been more consistent and she is currently the AGR driver with the best results this season and that is different from the past....

DanicaFan
24th July 2009, 12:05
Good call... You chose two excellent engineers. Tim Cindric, Mike Hull ....You know your talent....

But you could do better with the sponsor.......

But on the whole...I am impressed

Hey underpowered, I listed Tim Cindric as my strategist earlier.. I know he is a good one. ;) Tim paired up with Michael would be a great combo.

Oh, and if you were wondering, here is Wendy Venturini, my pit reporter/PR lady. She is an absolutely gorgeous woman with a great knowledge of racing, particularly NASCAR but we will train her the art of Indy Car.

http://www.truckseries.com/cgi-script/NCTS_07/uploads/11900/venturiniwendy06headshotSTV225.jpg

Chris R
24th July 2009, 12:11
Drivers: Juan Montoya & EJ Viso
Engineers - I am kind of out of the loop on this one these days..... the best obviously!!! :p
Sponsors: I kind of like the Apple Computer/Intel one -listed above - with additional associate sponsorship from AT&T, and one or two mainstream "green energy" products like LED lights or something - the Apple computer sponsorship opens the door to a bunch of things that are more or less mainstream but want to feel like they are not..... (btw - I am an Apple user).... Apple COULD kick butt in the activation department if they wanted to....
Strategist - Again - the best I could buy - but since it is my team I want to do it whether I should or not!!!!

chuck34
24th July 2009, 13:22
Drivers:

Justin Wilson
Will Power

Engineers:

Todd Malloy
Eric Cowdin

RS:

Tim Cindric
Mike Hull

Crew Chiefs:

Rick Rinanmen
Mitch Davis

Hospitality:

NHL

PR:

Sponsors:

Target

Eagle that's pretty good.

I would replace Justin with Briscoe (I just like him a bit more, but Justin is good too.)

The sponsors, I'd get a bit more creative on. Try to bring back Penzoil or Valvoline. I loved the Yellow Submarines, and Little Al's Valvoline car in '92 is one of my all time favorites. So I'd love to take a strole down memory lane. Someone else mentioned Kool earlier. I liked those cars. But if we're going to bring back tobacco, I'd also like to see Copenhagen, Skoal, and "real" Marlboro again.

The PR and hospitality, I'll take your word for. That's not stuff I pay attention to.

TURN3
24th July 2009, 14:28
Hey underpowered, I listed Tim Cindric as my strategist earlier

Seriously?
Despite this...Great thread UP.

EagleEye
24th July 2009, 15:16
Eagle that's pretty good.

I would replace Justin with Briscoe (I just like him a bit more, but Justin is good too.)

The sponsors, I'd get a bit more creative on. Try to bring back Penzoil or Valvoline. I loved the Yellow Submarines, and Little Al's Valvoline car in '92 is one of my all time favorites. So I'd love to take a strole down memory lane. Someone else mentioned Kool earlier. I liked those cars. But if we're going to bring back tobacco, I'd also like to see Copenhagen, Skoal, and "real" Marlboro again.

The PR and hospitality, I'll take your word for. That's not stuff I pay attention to.

I think Briscoe, Kanaan, Dario, Dixon and HCN would all be good choices. Justin and Will are good in and out of the car, and have been quite fast of late.

Tim and Mike (and the Captain) are masters at the race game of chess. Kyle Moyer, Curry, and even the Chipster are not too far off. Michael has done a great job in helping Danica move up from poor starting positions.

Engineers were a tough call too, as Jones, Cannon, Pare, and others are quite talented.

Save for Rick who is clearly the top of all crew chiefs, there are several other good ones.

I would love to see Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, Quaker State, Miller, Bud, etc. back int he series! Maybe we could invite them out to some of the next races...

Honda would get my vote for hanging in there through all the OW crap.

I picked Target since they have been quite loyal to Ganassi over the years. They have a good marketing the has them sell off one-offs to the brands they carry (Vasoline, Energizer, Polaroid, etc.). I wish Target would use the drivers in commercials like they did with the classic ones they did with Vasser, Zanardi and JPM.

The food at NHL has been great for years. And Kathy's legs, are quite nice.

chuck34
24th July 2009, 15:21
I picked Target since they have been quite loyal to Ganassi over the years. They have a good marketing the has them sell off one-offs to the brands they carry (Vasoline, Energizer, Polaroid, etc.). I wish Target would use the drivers in commercials like they did with the classic ones they did with Vasser, Zanardi and JPM.

Chip did one heck of a job selling Target on this idea. It is one heck of a sponsorship strategy. It works really well and everyone seems to be really happy with the way things are working. I've got to give them all credit for seeing how this deal could work out.

It would be nice to see them do some commercials again. And I'm sure you could bring in Ashley Judd to help out too, and that's not a bad thing at all. :-)

TURN3
24th July 2009, 18:57
I've changed my mind.

I want DanicaFan & Danica as my drivers.
I want DanicaFan as my team president (so he would hire Danica).
I want DanicaFan as my race strategist/theorist (because in his mind we'd sweep every event).
I want DanicaFan as my engineer (because he has forgotten more about Indycars than I'll ever know).
I want DanicaFan as my sponsor (no good reason for this but I'd pay to put that on a car anyway).

Can I do this?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No offense, just having fun!

DanicaFan
24th July 2009, 19:05
Turn, you probably havent heard of any my engineers.

TURN3
24th July 2009, 19:29
Turn, you probably havent heard of any my engineers.

Its Turn3. I thought I was on "auto ignore"? You're right, I haven't...which is saying something isn't it? I picked 2 of the top in history which you've neve heard of either my endless sea of vast knowledged one.

DanicaFan
24th July 2009, 19:50
Its Turn3. I thought I was on "auto ignore"? You're right, I haven't...which is saying something isn't it? I picked 2 of the top in history which you've neve heard of either my endless sea of vast knowledged one.

Yes it is saying something... Let me enlighten you. Eddie Jones is an engineer for Andretti Green Racing. He has worked with Michael Andretti in his CART days. He also was engineer for Dan Wheldon helping him win rookie of the year back in 2003 and win the Indy 500 and IndyCar Championship in 2005. He also has worked with Marco Andretti and Danica Patrick as thier engineer.

And for Gian Paolo Dallara, well lets just say he is the designer and founder of the Dallara chassis. So him as an engineer is pretty much self-explantory of what he would bring to the table.

TURN3
24th July 2009, 20:45
Yes it is saying something... Let me enlighten you. Eddie Jones is an engineer for Andretti Green Racing. He has worked with Michael Andretti in his CART days. He also was engineer for Dan Wheldon helping him win rookie of the year back in 2003 and win the Indy 500 and IndyCar Championship in 2005. He also has worked with Marco Andretti and Danica Patrick as thier engineer.

And for Gian Paolo Dallara, well lets just say he is the designer and founder of the Dallara chassis. So him as an engineer is pretty much self-explantory of what he would bring to the table.

Actually I have heard of Eddie, I just don't memorize names of every single person in my fav drivers garage. Eddie was a good engineer but far from great. It is a fantasy thread though so it's your fantasy.

As for Dallara, I figured as much. Though maybe there was something I didn't know because the designer of a car doesn't exactly translate into a race engineer. If it does, maybe Danica can hire him because she's in her usual spot so far in practice at Edmonton. If anybody with the title of "engineer" is qualified, I choose Einstein & Newton.

I think this fantasy thread is a really cool concept and I don't want to ruin it for us fun people. You can have your fantasy....wait all these usually are.

underpowered
24th July 2009, 21:19
So I'd love to take a strole down memory lane. Someone else mentioned Kool earlier. I liked those cars. But if we're going to bring back tobacco, I'd also like to see Copenhagen, Skoal, and "real" Marlboro again.

If we could bring back tobacco then I would want John Player.

TURN3
24th July 2009, 21:24

That was a sweet rig.

SoCalPVguy
24th July 2009, 21:53
I like it underpowered..

My Dream Team..

Drivers - Danica Patrick

Race Strategists - Michael Andretti

So you your fanatsy is to Q 21st in every race with a right turn ???

SoCalPVguy
24th July 2009, 21:57

Yes that Dallara fellow is a helluva an engineer - in every race he has the top 22 or 23 chassis qualifiers and finishers too.

MDS
24th July 2009, 22:17
Heck, if you're going to dream, might as well dream big. Here's my four car AGR-style team in 2010 with drivers and sponsors who are currently not under contract to an existing F-1, NASCAR or IRL team.

Will Power
Number: 99
Primary sponsor: UPS
Associate sponsors: Monster, Vegemite, Aussie Vineyards, Pennzoil, Tide
Engineer: Steve Newy
Strategist:Mike Cannon

JR Hildabrand
Number: 98
Sponsor: Shell/Pennzoil
Associates: Navy, UPS, Tide, Monster
Engineer: Alan Mertens
Race Strategist: Scott Brayton

Paul Tracy
Number: 97
Sponsor: Labatt Blue
Associate Sponsors: Air Canada, Gieco, Monster, UPS, Pennzoil, Tide
Engineer: Travis Jacobson
Race Strategist: Tommy Kendall

Simone Paguenaud
Number: 96
Sponsor: Tide
Associate Sponsors: Monster, UPS, Pennzoil
Engineer: Billy Pappas
Race Strategist: Derrick Walker

chuck34
24th July 2009, 22:34

oooooh, aaaaaah. Forgot about that one. How? I don't know. Let's add that one to the list.

chuck34
24th July 2009, 22:38
Heck, if you're going to dream, might as well dream big. Here's my four car AGR-style team in 2010 with drivers and sponsors who are currently not under contract to an existing F-1, NASCAR or IRL team.

Will Power
Number: 99
Primary sponsor: UPS
Associate sponsors: Monster, Vegemite, Aussie Vineyards, Pennzoil, Tide
Engineer: Steve Newy
Strategist:Mike Cannon

JR Hildabrand
Number: 98
Sponsor: Shell/Pennzoil
Associates: Navy, UPS, Tide, Monster
Engineer: Alan Mertens
Race Strategist: Scott Brayton

Paul Tracy
Number: 97
Sponsor: Labatt Blue
Associate Sponsors: Air Canada, Gieco, Monster, UPS, Pennzoil, Tide
Engineer: Travis Jacobson
Race Strategist: Tommy Kendall

Simone Paguenaud
Number: 96
Sponsor: Tide
Associate Sponsors: Monster, UPS, Pennzoil
Engineer: Billy Pappas
Race Strategist: Derrick Walker

Brayton and Kendall as strategists? Maybe as drivers, but why strategists?

Who's Steve Newy? Any realation to Adrian? Sorry I don't know all the engineers I'd like to.

I don't like Paguenaud, but he could do ok I suppose.

Labat Blue would make for a great looking car I think.

Pretty good list all-in-all.

chuck34
24th July 2009, 22:43
oooooh, aaaaaah. Forgot about that one. How? I don't know. Let's add that one to the list.

Actually now that I think about it, maybe this one is better.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Lotus_49B_Donington.jpg

MDS
25th July 2009, 00:38
Brayton and Kendall as strategists? Maybe as drivers, but why strategists?

Who's Steve Newy? Any realation to Adrian? Sorry I don't know all the engineers I'd like to.

I don't like Paguenaud, but he could do ok I suppose.

Labat Blue would make for a great looking car I think.

Pretty good list all-in-all.

Kendall is an excellent strategic thinker and he's good friends with PT. I would think since PT is in the last four-five years of his career you would put a good car around him and just tell them to go all out every race and make every high-risk move you think is sound and just run all out. As far as Brayton, I think rookie drivers do well with someone whose been there. Brayton was a smart driver with a good amount of oval experience, and a good guy.

Steve Newy has a massively long resume, he worked with Mo-Nunn and AGR. I have a feeling he's going to return to the IRL next year when he and Bryan Herta buy out Vision at the end of the season. (I hear). He's friends with my uncle, whose a retired engineer, he's a good guy and has a huge amount of knowledge.

I was going back and forth between Sebass and Pagenaud and figured if I could lock up a driver to a five year contract with a sponsor I'd rather have Simone because I think his upside is greater. He's another guy I think we'll see in the series next year as a teammate to Takumo Sato when de Ferran moves up.

Chris R
25th July 2009, 00:59
Are you talking about Scott Brayton who died in 1996 or a different Scott Brayton??

MDS
25th July 2009, 01:32
Are you talking about Scott Brayton who died in 1996 or a different Scott Brayton??

It's a fantasy team man. I miss him.

Notice how I referred to him in past tense.

TURN3
25th July 2009, 04:18

What about Hollywood with Mo Gugelmine (sp?) and early TK?