View Full Version : Best first wins?

wedge
23rd July 2009, 00:38
Senna/Portugal 1984

Schumacher/Spa 1992

Alonso/Hungary 2003

Saint Devote
23rd July 2009, 00:47
I am not quite sure what you define this as, so I have assumed it is those first GP wins that have been really hard fought.

Here are 3:

Peter Gethin - Monza 1971
James Hunt - Zandvoort 1975
Jenson Button - Hungaroring 2006

airshifter
23rd July 2009, 01:28
Mika Häkkinen - Jerez 1997

Mark Webber - a couple weeks back

Both drivers who started well, performed well for the teams, managed podium finishes and were consistent enough to retain good contracts. But both drivers that somehow took longer than expected to reach the top podium step.

Ranger
23rd July 2009, 02:28
Mika Häkkinen - Jerez 1997

No way... that's the worst way imaginable to score your first win!

Here are some eventful maiden wins:

Riccardo Patrese - Monaco 1982 (Don't need to explain this one)
Olivier Panis - Monaco 1996 (14th on grid)
Rubens Barrichello - Germany 2000 (18th on grid)
Giancarlo Fisichella - Brazil 2003 (Most chaotic maiden win since Patrese)

Easy Drifter
23rd July 2009, 07:40
Gincarlo Baghetti - Rheims - 1961. Ferrari. Beat all the 'works' cars.
Only GP win but not only F1 win.

Ent
23rd July 2009, 07:52
Barrichello's first win was amazing, flying through the field in changing conditions. I'd put him at the top of the list for first-wins in the current era.

ioan
23rd July 2009, 08:08
I am not quite sure what you define this as, so I have assumed it is those first GP wins that have been really hard fought.
Jenson Button - Hungaroring 2006

Thanks for this! I'll have something to keep me laughing the whole day!

UltimateDanGTR
23rd July 2009, 09:30

that was his first ever championship race as well. not a bad debut then.....

Gilles VIlleneneuve/Montreal 78. cant believe no one has said this one, first win for him being his home grand prix and at a great circuit, not bad. :)

UltimateDanGTR
23rd July 2009, 09:32

for the first time ever Id have to agree with you Ioan. I now feel sick, but you are right. 'hard fought', more like 'lucky' (although he drove well that day I dont deny it, better than most, but the rain and chaos helped alot)

Valve Bounce
23rd July 2009, 10:00

Came to my mind immediately. However, he was not liked by Ferrari, for reasons I have no idea, who preferred Lorenzo Bandini.

Storm
23rd July 2009, 10:09
Barrichello at Hockenheim
Fisichella in atrocious/crazy Interlagos

ioan
23rd July 2009, 10:45
for the first time ever Id have to agree with you Ioan. I now feel sick, but you are right. 'hard fought', more like 'lucky' (although he drove well that day I dont deny it, better than most, but the rain and chaos helped alot)

Pretty much my view. He didn't do a bad race but he was very lucky that others kept falling of with all kind of problems, not always of their own making.

BTW, I have the same view about Panis' win in Monaco.

Not racing hard and winning because others had various problems might be classed as smart, but no way can it be classified together with some excellent best first wins where the driver actually raced for the win.

V12
23rd July 2009, 12:20
Came to my mind immediately. However, he was not liked by Ferrari, for reasons I have no idea, who preferred Lorenzo Bandini.

To be fair Bandini was probably the better driver. Baghetti is a bit of an enigma for me because after his 100% record after his first 3 GPs (although only one, Reims, was a WC event) he never came close to impressing again. Bandini did his career in reverse to Baghetti, the "normal" way, starting off as an unproven youngster with Scuderia Centro Sud (the "Minardi" of their day, small but competent) and impressing enough to get a Ferrari deal. His career was still definitely on an upward trajectory when he was killed at Monaco '67.

Both drivers scored their first (and only) win after a lot of attrition to be fair, although Bandini was on the receiving end of unreliability a couple of times in 1966 as well.

V12
23rd July 2009, 12:24

I would say that the fact Button's first win came in the rain would reflect well on his abilities as a driver, not bad. He earned that win, coming from 14th (IIRC) on the grid too, only Alonso had the measure of him that day, and if Button had been able to start where he qualified (4th) maybe he could have given Alonso more of a run for his money before he dropped out anyway.

wedge
23rd July 2009, 12:52
Fisichella in atrocious/crazy Interlagos

Arguably lucky win due to lap countback/red flag

wedge
23rd July 2009, 12:55
I would say that the fact Button's first win came in the rain would reflect well on his abilities as a driver, not bad. He earned that win, coming from 14th (IIRC) on the grid too, only Alonso had the measure of him that day, and if Button had been able to start where he qualified (4th) maybe he could have given Alonso more of a run for his money before he dropped out anyway.

Alonso was hardly the easiest driver to overtake who went on to hold off Schumi in Turkey for 2nd place and in the previous year held off Schumi at Imola for the win.

Sonic
23rd July 2009, 14:36
Mr J Herbert. British GP '95. A M A Z I N G!

Ok it was a "lucky" win as he was outpaced by Hill, Shumi, DC but no one could deserve a moment in the sun more.

jens
23rd July 2009, 16:31
Looking at the names thrown in here, then I must add Trulli, whose win was achieved certainly in a more impressive than some mentioned here. :p :

And although winning on a GP debut is a great achievement in itself, I certainly don't see, why is Baghetti included here among the "best wins". Ferrari was by far the fastest car that day and all Baghetti's team-mates (P.Hill, von Trips, Ginther) hit trouble in front of him. If anything, Baghetti got rather lucky for the first and also only time in his career...

ClarkFan
23rd July 2009, 22:50

Here are 3:

Peter Gethin - Monza 1971
James Hunt - Zandvoort 1975

Gethin's was certainly hard fought, but winning was a bit of a coin flip - who got position coming out of the last corner.

Hunt's win was clearly a hard, well done drive. He spent the last 20% of the race with the fastest driver in the fastest car (Lauda/Ferrari) breathing down his neck and managed to hold out to win. And Zandvoort was a circuit where a faster car could pass easily, so Hunt had to drive fast and avoid any mistakes.

ClarkFan

Saint Devote
24th July 2009, 00:51
It was a great win and I remember being thrilled that he had finally won a GP, and not just a GP, his home GP... Great days :)

Unfortunately I was rather dissappointed several years later to learn from personal experience that he is quite an arrogant so and so out of the cockpit...

My childhood perception was destroyed.... :(

That really was a terrific day at Silverstone! I remember that race very well.

I think you should rather give drivers a pass on negative stories like that. They provide us with so much delight and pleasure racing. Remember they are human and have emotions and someone pushing an autograph book into their faces - frequently impolitely and arrogantly - constantly can get to a person.

I have never heard or read anything other than positive things about Johnny Herbert anyway.

Sometimes confidence is also mistaken for arrogance - the late Tony Brise always had that effect apparently.

So keep your childhood perception intact - they will always be the most special :-]

I can telly you personally that drivers such as Jody Scheckter, Jan Lammers and Riccardo Patrese were always good to fans.

I remember as a youth standing next to Patrese after a practice session looking at a crumpled Tyrrell and just chatting about it - those were the days unfortunately never to return thanks to the lunacy of celebrity worship these days.

Saint Devote
24th July 2009, 00:53

It rather bad form to make statements and not back them up. So I ask you, why you write that?

Saint Devote
24th July 2009, 00:57
Also, lets recognize here that quantity where a driver is so dominant in a season whereby he leads, has the ability to speed up when neccessary and simply dictates the race from the front.

A driver that comes to mind immediately because it was in an era where all the great circuits were still around, and the competition was extremely high.

His name is Jim Clark - in my view the greatest of them all.

airshifter
24th July 2009, 01:08
No way... that's the worst way imaginable to score your first win!

It's not the way he should have got the first win, but they were only gifting him the win due to the fact that they had robbed him of one he deserved.

harvick#1
24th July 2009, 06:32
no love for Vettel's 08 Italian GP.

face it, anyone really thought Toro Rosso would've ever gotten a pole, let alone a win.

it was a magic race

Ranger
24th July 2009, 06:40
It's not the way he should have got the first win, but they were only gifting him the win due to the fact that they had robbed him of one he deserved.

It doesn't make the honour of having not one but two drivers gift him a victory that day any less dubious.

ioan
24th July 2009, 07:18
It rather bad form to make statements and not back them up. So I ask you, why you write that?

Already explained in my other posts in this thread.

ioan
24th July 2009, 07:20
no love for Vettel's 08 Italian GP.

face it, anyone really thought Toro Rosso would've ever gotten a pole, let alone a win.

it was a magic race

Out of the current drivers this must be one of or maybe even the best first win!
Inferior machinery, tricky conditions, all you need to have the driver make the difference.

Roamy
24th July 2009, 07:35
Best first win ever was GV
What are you guys on crack???

But if you are talking about the newbees yes Vettel last year!!

UltimateDanGTR
24th July 2009, 07:48
Best first win ever was GV
What are you guys on crack???

But if you are talking about the newbees yes Vettel last year!!

Its alright fousto, I kept the saniy by mentioning that one earlier. a truly great win for a truly great driver.

and i cant believe Vettel's win slipped my mind-what a win! It did have everything, and he owned everyone else in a car that theoretically should have been owned by everyone else. how wrong we were..............

Nigel Mansell '85. Grand Prix of europe at brands hatch. it finally came together for him, at one of the best tracks in the world and in his home country. not bad. :)

Roamy
24th July 2009, 07:55
Ok Ultimate you are out of jail.
Hey speaking of crack what if Piquet won on Sunday??

DexDexter
24th July 2009, 08:02
Jean Alesi Canadian GP 1995. It was a long time coming, I remember Alesi standing up in the cockpit and the crowd cheering him.

wedge
24th July 2009, 12:21
Sorry mate it wasn't a fan based experience like getting an autograph btw. More like hepling his stranded wife by the side of a road after a blown tyre. Johnny turned up, didn't offer a hand and sat in his car. Once the tyre saga had been sorted out and and Johnny was filled in with what had been done, he nodded his head shouted to his wife "follow me". A thank you wasn't offered and the good samaritan felt a little let down. Maybe he had an off day? But thats my memory of Johnny Herbert I'm afraid. His wife was lovely btw.. He used to live in Stratford Upon Avon, where I am originally from and there are a few other stories which I won't go into about his character..

I still respect him as a racing driver and feel his early career crash may have robbed Britain of a future WDC..

Interesting, always painted as the happy go lucky/joker in the pack by the racing media in the 90s.

UltimateDanGTR
24th July 2009, 12:34
Hey speaking of crack what if Piquet won on Sunday??

I advise you see a doctor