PDA

View Full Version : Sources say Villeneuve close to signing with USF1

Giuseppe F1
22nd July 2009, 19:16
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090722174904.shtml

Jacques Villeneuve is close to securing a contract to return to Formula One with the new USF1 team in 2010, Sport Bild reported Wednesday.

The French-Canadian, now 38, last won a Grand Prix in his championship year of 1997 but subsequently drove for BAR, Renault and Sauber/BMW until 2006.

Having failed to establish a career in NASCAR, he recently attended some Grand Prix, reportedly buoyed by the reduction in downforce, the return of slick tyres and the opportunities afforded by three new teams.

Villeneuve did not refer specifically to USF1 but admitted to the magazine: "It is true, I will return to Formula One."

Sport Bild said the official announcement could be made within the next few weeks.
Click here to find out more!

The report also said USF1's first Cosworth-powered car will be ready in October, with Aragon (Spain) and Le Castellet (France) at the top of the list to be the team's European base. The cars are being designed and built in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

Nikki Katz
22nd July 2009, 20:29
I can't say that I'm surprised, but last time he was in F1 it took him over half a season to be fit enough to be on par with his teammate; he was often significantly slower than Massa and found his own space between the midfield and the backmarkers. Also, once he'd been sacked he said that he never wanted to have to train like that again. I think that the only way that Villeneuve won't come out of this looking stupid is if his teammate is Andretti.

Ent
22nd July 2009, 22:31
I know a few people want to see JV back in an F1 car, but I can't see this ending in anything other than embarrassment. Too old, too slow and too long out of the game.

Nikki Katz
22nd July 2009, 23:07
Ah, both sides have now rubbished the reports anyway.

Saint Devote
23rd July 2009, 00:02
I know a few people want to see JV back in an F1 car, but I can't see this ending in anything other than embarrassment. Too old, too slow and too long out of the game.

Too old - yes, like Fangio, Hill, Brabham and Mansell, just what the 'eck could they do at their age! Oh thats right! Win a world title.

It is not age but ability to circulate quickly that is the important issue.

I would liketo see what JV could do with these cars. I realize that it has always been popular to whack his reputation, even when he was winning, but at least he is not another boring corporate clone too timid to speak his view.

These days with rearranged "interviews" given by teams - the latest load of BS is that from Toro Rosso - JV would be a fresh blast from the recent past.

dash
23rd July 2009, 06:11
I think that they are looking for Villeneuve to provide mostly car devolepment input and to help acclimate his young American teammate to life in f1. They need experience and GV brings that. GV succeeded in F1 but was not in his element when out of the car, as I'm guessing his yet to be announced teammate will feel. Good choice.

Easy Drifter
23rd July 2009, 07:45
Jacques is becoming the next Jos the Boss with all these almost rides.
Dash: I hope you mean JV!!!!!

ioan
23rd July 2009, 08:06
I think that they are looking for Villeneuve to provide mostly car devolepment input and to help acclimate his young American teammate to life in f1. They need experience and GV brings that. GV succeeded in F1 but was not in his element when out of the car, as I'm guessing his yet to be announced teammate will feel. Good choice.

Well, IMO GV can only bring a bit of nostalgia to any team nowadays. ;)

jens
23rd July 2009, 15:58
Bild? Nah...

Don't get the JV hype in recent months. He wouldn't be any better choice than say Panis or Frentzen - hasn't driven an F1 car for a while and have in recent years raced in any kind of series only rarely and more "for fun". Even another oldie, who is rumoured to make a comeback, de la Rosa deserves F1 chance in 2010 more, having tested McLaren's F1 car in 2009 and certainly being fit despite his age.

Crank
23rd July 2009, 22:18
C'mon Giusseppe you know better not to pay attention to the Bild, they'll say anything to sell some pieces of yellow paper (or is it toilet paper ;) )

52Paddy
24th July 2009, 08:54
I would love to see JV back. Its been a while since we've had an old driver who used to be at the top his game, make a return and feck it all up, leaving with his head in his hands. He is about to go down the same road as Alan Jones and Nigel Mansell.

Too old - yes, like Fangio, Hill, Brabham and Mansell, just what the 'eck could they do at their age! Oh thats right! Win a world title.

Fangio, Hill and Brabham did indeed race competitively at 'old age.' As did Mansell, but taking Mansell as the example here, JV will follow the same pattern I reckon. Remember, Mansell won the 1992 world championship, then left for Indycars (JV left for NASCAR with less success.) He made a return at the end of 1994, admittedly doing a great job. And then decided to sign with McLaren for 1995. And we all know the rest...

Goodluck JV, just make sure your hips aren't too big, yeah! :laugh:

leopard
24th July 2009, 09:08
One thing has prompted rumor the comeback of the former champion is the fact that he has strong fanbase. Whether or not he will be competitive in the sport is still a big question, unless if he drives teams with some miracles such as this year's BGP and RBR I believe that he still has spur of driving technique.

Personally I welcome old stocks..

truefan72
24th July 2009, 11:31
I think that JV will get a serious look for a seat next year.

Garry Walker
24th July 2009, 11:40

Do you take some perverted enjoyment out of posting nonsensical things?

Brabham, Fangio have nothing to do with the current F1.
Mansell and Hill enjoyed dominant cars in their years when they took the titles, besides F1 has changed since then and has gotten younger and younger.

I have nothing against Villeneuve and he would be a veteran character, something F1 doesnt have now, but he would just embarrass himself if he really did come back.
I am quite sure he will not though.

ioan
24th July 2009, 12:00
Do you take some perverted enjoyment out of posting nonsensical things?

It's even worse than that, he actually believes what he posts! ;)

markabilly
24th July 2009, 14:21
F1 is a young man's game due to the need for extremely fast reflexes along with the ability of the body to take a pounding for three continous days.....as andretti said in 1981, toggle switch racing

In the 1960's JV could come back at his age and probably do well, as the skill, feel for the car and mental ability were the keys to success,
but no more on mod f1
mansell was not that old and had spent his time off racing indy cars back when indy cars were close to f1 in requirements and drivers, as well as g-forces etc....unlike the irl and champ cars now

jens
24th July 2009, 15:52
Reading some posts here I wonder, what were the reactions in 2004, when it was announced that Villeneuve will make a comeback to drive at Renault for the last three races? I guess at various forums some people surely were declaring that the old hand will teach Alonso, how to drive.

I don't want Villeneuve back even for the sake of publicity, because then I would feel sorry for drivers, who are driving better than him, yet get way fewer attention just because they are not so famous (yet)... :\

CNR
25th July 2009, 10:27
Villeneuve has already been linked with a drive at new team USF1 who will make their debut in 2010.
"There has been no contact. But it's logical that people think this way. I am Canadian, it's close to the USA," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/25/2636224.htm?site=sport&section=all

grantb4
26th July 2009, 01:26
Well he crashed out of a NASCAR race and at least once at Spa within the last 10 days, so odds are that no one can afford him at this rate.

woody2goody
26th July 2009, 01:33
There's a lot of negativity here. I seriously think Jacques can come back and drive quickly, you don't lose your talent over a year or two.

These cars are similar to the ones he drove when he started in F1 - slicks, less downforce, etc. Lots of people said Fisichella and Barrichello were done last year, and this year they've been mostly excellent.

Age doesn't matter. If he trains properly, gets his head in the game, and prepares well, there's no reason why he can't at least help a team for a year or two.

Although someone like de la Rosa or Wurz could be ready much quicker for F1 competition.

jens
26th July 2009, 17:03
There's a lot of negativity here. I seriously think Jacques can come back and drive quickly, you don't lose your talent over a year or two.

These cars are similar to the ones he drove when he started in F1 - slicks, less downforce, etc. Lots of people said Fisichella and Barrichello were done last year, and this year they've been mostly excellent.

Age doesn't matter. If he trains properly, gets his head in the game, and prepares well, there's no reason why he can't at least help a team for a year or two.

Although someone like de la Rosa or Wurz could be ready much quicker for F1 competition.

Barrichello hasn't been "excellent". He was more impressive last year, but has been beaten by Button for most of the time in 2009.

Age matters. Otherwise athletes in most sports won't have retired by the age of 40 or sooner. In sportscars and especially touring cars age doesn't matter that much - drivers can perform at top-class even in their 40's. But F1 is physically a more demanding sport.

It doesn't mean that Villeneuve or whoever then would be driving like a Yoong, completely off-pace. But he won't regain his sharpness of his best days and won't be a top driver. Mansell in 1994-1995 may not have been completely embarrassing, he even won a race. But it was clear that he was past his prime, getting outpaced by both Hill and Häkkinen.

And besides all - since there are sooo many younger and highly competitive drivers, there is no point bringing someone back, who would face adapting to F1 surely more challenging than the new talents, and has simply less years left in him.

If you want a driver, who is experienced and decent and... currently not involved in F1, hire Ralf Schumacher. He is 'only' 34, so still relatively young, should be fit, considering he is still racing at quite a high level (DTM is physically more demanding than other touring car series). Why Jacques, when there are other experienced and probably better-prepared drivers ready to race? Even Sato? Davidson?

I see no point in JV's comeback. And while some may wish a certain 7-times WDC comeback too, it's clear that he is past his prime as well and he knows it - hence unlike JV he won't be even considering coming back.