PDA

View Full Version : Aerodynamics chief leaves Ferrari

race_director
22nd July 2009, 13:08
John Iley, the chief of aerodynamics at Ferrari, has left the team according to reports in the Italian media on Wednesday. After a first half to a season which has yielded no wins for the reigning Constructors' World Champions, caught out by this season's regulation changes, the Englishman leaves during his sixth season with the team.

Having joined in 2004, Iley's career has took him through the Jordan and Renault teams before arriving at Maranello. Italian publication Gazetta dello Sport reports that the 41-year-old, who concentrates on the likes of windtunnel development, came to an agreement to leave Ferrari with immediate affect at the end of last week; it is believed, however, that his contract allows him to join no other team within the next six month period.

It is reported that, after a distinct lack of success with this year's F60 car, Ferrari elected not to assign Iley to the task of developing what is hoped to be a championship-challenging 2010 contender. The aerodynamicist, meantime, will be replaced by Greek Nicholas Tombazis.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

One more guy shown the door for lack of performance

ioan
22nd July 2009, 13:10
http://forums.motorsport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=663889#post663889

Tazio
22nd July 2009, 13:52
Gazetta dello Sport reports that the 41-year-old, who concentrates on the likes of windtunnel development, came to an agreement to leave Ferrari with immediate affect at the end of last week; it is believed, however, that his contract allows him to join no other team within the next six month period.
Waking up and finding a horse’s head in your bed is a pretty coercive bargaining chip :mark: :uhoh:

ioan
22nd July 2009, 14:06
They needed to make place for Willis maybe. However I wonder what Willis previous contract said, can he join another team before the end of the season.

Anyway, according to Gazetta dello Sport Iley was fired because apparently the F60 aero has major flaws that were recently discovered by the team. This looks to me like a bit of sensationalist journalism, but may hold some truth.

John Iley has worked for Ferrari since 2004, so he was involved in producing the 2005 flop and the 2009 flop, both of which came after serious aero rules changes.
Maybe the team just realized that they need someone better for the future.

Lennat
22nd July 2009, 14:10
John Iley has worked for Ferrari since 2004, so he was involved in producing the 2005 flop and the 2009 flop, both of which came after serious aero rules changes.

+1

My thoughts exactly.

markabilly
22nd July 2009, 14:42
so willis to ferrari along with Alonso, to be announced right before monza?

markabilly
22nd July 2009, 14:45
Waking up and finding a horse’s head in your bed is a pretty coercive bargaining chip :mark: :uhoh:
I dunno, I got used to it over the years....

ioan
22nd July 2009, 17:03
I don't know, all these people leaving Red Bull, Mclaren, Toyota and now Ferrari.... Anyone would think we were about to have 3 new teams next year.. :p

Only if you think that any of them wants to become a nobody in a back of the grid team. ;)

22nd July 2009, 17:10
I don't know, all these people leaving Red Bull, Mclaren, Toyota and now Ferrari.... Anyone would think we were about to have 3 new teams next year.. :p

Who has "left" Mclaren? Ryan was sacked.

markabilly
23rd July 2009, 01:14
Who has "left" Mclaren? Ryan was sacked.
yeah after the bus ran over him, they put his body parts in a sack and sent them home

Crank
23rd July 2009, 22:09
They needed to make place for Willis maybe. However I wonder what Willis previous contract said, can he join another team before the end of the season.

And yet he managed to produce a winning car and a title contender (till the last bend) in 2007 and 2008 respectively :p :. Probably the fact that Domenicali is in the hot seat now has something to do with it. Luca is exasperated and demanded heads, so Domenicali probably thought better yours than mine.