PDA

View Full Version : Testing the waters

call_me_andrew
18th July 2009, 06:28
A few months ago in a doom & gloom thread on the IndyCar forum, I made the suggestion that in the event the IRL should fold, the FIA could take over the Indianapolis 500 and make it a Formula One race (again). Responses seemed to indicate the notion was less objectionable than a NASCAR takeover, but more objectionable than USAC takeover.

I'd like to know what F1 fans would think of such a move.

Of course a few minor changes to the rules would have to be allowed for such an event (rolling start, one race engine, lower than normal rev limit, pit wall, etc.) And Monaco would have to be moved back a week.

And since the race can sell out with a second rate series running it, paying Bernie wouldn't be a problem.

Valve Bounce
18th July 2009, 06:45
I would agree that running an F1 race there would be a good idea, but I cannot see the wisdom in Varying the rules or the way the race is run for one race anywhere. If you cannot have a standaing start, the same engine and refueling rules, rev limits and whatever you can dream up, then forgeddaboudid!!

Tazio
18th July 2009, 07:11
Just out of curiosity why would you have to have a rule lowering the rev limit? Can't the teams just map it on the ecu where they think they can run without detonating the lump? Or for that matter run several different maps as the telemetry dictates. Or make the drivers control the R’s with the throttle. I mean they’re just going around an oval (incredibly fast) but since there isn’t any real gear changing, and heavy brake, shift, accelerate, activity they should have the ability to control their throttle manually. And concentrate on the race.
Are you concerned with the safety aspect of it?
I know a lot of people would be against it for the simple reason that it's not a road course.
I think a real concern would be the added costs to the teams because of the R and D that would go into maximizing an F1 car to get an edge in this race. (wind tunnel, CFD, testing on an oval) It would be an interesting novelty in the season;
However I think it has the potential of opening a rather large can of worms. BTJMHO

call_me_andrew
18th July 2009, 07:56
The rev limit was mostly a matter of safety and engine longevity.

Rolling starts are often a necessity in oval racing. Since you're only turning left, the right side tires are larger than the left side. That would make a standing start dangerous.

There's a couple more issues to bring up.

The 500 traditionally has 33 starters. Perhaps it would be wise to allow a third car to be entered into the race.

And then there's rain. You just can't run a superspeedway in the rain. Bridgestone/Firestone did some estimates and determined that an OW car in the rain at Indianapolis could go no faster than 150mph (240 km/h) in the turns at Indy. Bridgestone feels that it's unfeasable to expect the cars to slow down that much.

Sonic
18th July 2009, 09:55
Hmmm. Might be interesting as a demo; not sure it would work as a race though.

Saint Devote
18th July 2009, 10:45
The Indy 500 as part of f1 is impractical as part of the WDC because before anything else, from 2010 there is to be no more refuelling capability in f1.

I do not like the idea - f1 is not about turning left 4x a lap.

UltimateDanGTR
18th July 2009, 12:02
not possible. indycar is indycar. F1 is F1. Indy 500 is american. A Grand Prix is something different.

50 years ago or whatever it was easier and simpler to have the indy 500 as part of the F1 scheduale, but it cant be done now, too many logistical problems that have already been stated in above posts like rain, refuelling etc.

I love Oval racing dont get me wrong, whether it be on the local 1/4 mile Foxhall stadium doing bangers, hot rods or brisca F1s, or a 2.5 mile superspeedway in IndyCar or Nascar.

and I wouldnt be against F1 drivers competing in the 500, that would be brilliant if the F1 scheduale would be on an off week on the weekend of the 500, Lewis, Kimi, Jenson, Massa, Vettel, Webber, Barrichello, Alonso, Kubica, heidfeld, Rosberg etc in indycars for 1 weekend a year would be brilliant, but not as an F1 race.

Indy 500 and an F1 Grand Prix are 2 different things. I dont think they should be combined.