PDA

View Full Version : difference between Toro Rosso and and the Red Bull car

CNR
18th July 2009, 01:28
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17072009/23/tost-admits-rests-toro-rosso-hungarian-upgrade.html

“There is a view that the only difference between our car and the Red Bull Racing one is the engine, but that is inaccurate. It involves the engine, gearbox, clutch, hydraulic system, water, oil and electrical systems – and all this on top of the actual aero parts in terms of bodywork. The further complication is that, although we have not run it, our car was designed so that it could incorporate the Ferrari (http://www.motorsportforums.com/formula-1/ferrari.html) KERS system, and that is very different to the one used by Renault (http://www.motorsportforums.com/formula-1/renault.html), around which the RB5 was designed. “Therefore, we were not in a ‘cut-and-paste’ situation when it came to getting the parts. It was not a case of getting a drawing from Red Bull Technology and simply manufacturing it. The two cars might look the same, but if you try and fit the bodywork from one onto the other, it would not fit. The rear suspension is also different because, in order to maintain the same wheelbase, it needed a different arrangement.

Valve Bounce
18th July 2009, 02:07
Well, that's forward planning to the "n"th degree. I just wonder what the reasons were for deciding to have so many differences between the two cars. Cost cutting it sure ain't. :rolleyes:

Sonic
18th July 2009, 09:51
Well if I were to guess, the Red Bull and the Torro Rosso were probably very similar when the season began aside from the obvious engine and associated packaging differences. But as the season has developed the two teams have had to go in different directions to suit each package. For example the renault engine is said to be more drivable especially at lower speeds and so the senior team can afford to spend less of their time worrying about traction issues and more on other areas, whereas the reverse is probably true of the Rosso. Just a thought, what does everyone else think?

markabilly
18th July 2009, 12:28
Originally Posted by http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/aria/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=0#post0)
I wasn’t a genius last year, and I don’t think I am an idiot this year either! "Tost"

comes from drinkin too much of the red bull kool aid

opps, should be careful as mr lost "might be forced to nail your pelvis.... with his cake-stand"

markabilly
18th July 2009, 12:31
Well if I were to guess, the Red Bull and the Torro Rosso were probably very similar when the season began aside from the obvious engine and associated packaging differences. But as the season has developed the two teams have had to go in different directions to suit each package. For example the renault engine is said to be more drivable especially at lower speeds and so the senior team can afford to spend less of their time worrying about traction issues and more on other areas, whereas the reverse is probably true of the Rosso. Just a thought, what does everyone else think?
webber drove both cars and says the engine (at the time) of Scuderia Toro Rosso was superior over the renault....

but what would he know anyway, he is just another driver, not Tost de la Lost who nails your pelvis with a cake-stand

ioan
18th July 2009, 18:11
webber drove both cars...[/I]

Really? When?

I think that Vettel is the only one who last years drove both cars in races and testing.

markabilly
18th July 2009, 18:29
You may be right, but somewhere, i swear I saw something about webber doing a test run in the STR car last year and making clear the thought his renault engine was a bit weaker.....or perhaps it was vettel commenting

then there was button talking about how much stronger merc was over honda......

and my cousin eddie talking about how much stronger viagria was over levita.....

it is all i can do to remember not to ask the frog to marry more than once :confused:

ioan
18th July 2009, 19:11
then there was button talking about how much stronger merc was over honda......

Not stronger, smoother! And if I'm not mistaken it was Rubens who said that, not Button.

markabilly
18th July 2009, 20:30
but was it not button who was singing, "oh, lord won't you buy me a mercedes benz, my friends all drive ferraris, i must make amends..."
or maybe that was webber or vittels....
so much to remember, so few brain cells left......

Brown, Jon Brow
18th July 2009, 23:25
Not stronger, smoother! And if I'm not mistaken it was Rubens who said that, not Button.

I read somewhere that the Mercedes engine had 60hp+ more than the Honda.

ioan
19th July 2009, 10:45
I read somewhere that the Mercedes engine had 60hp+ more than the Honda.

That is out of order IMO.
Can anyone believe that the Honda engine was as bad as being 7% down on the Mercedes? I can't.

The Renault was the one lacking most power last season and thus were allowed to try to make up for it during the winter, and they were around 20-30 HP down.

gloomyDAY
19th July 2009, 18:27
This is what bugs me about F1, the engine specs!

How does the FIA and the teams know that all the engines produce equal HP?
Are they placed onto a dyno?

ioan
19th July 2009, 20:44

The FIA knows for sure, the teams measure the power of rival engines using various acoustic methods.
Don't worry they all know what the others engine is capable of.

woody2goody
19th July 2009, 23:09
Ok shall we get back on topic? :)

Are STR getting the same update as Red Bull got for Silverstone? And if so, will we see Toro Rosso in the points come Budapest? Obviously Buemi is more likely to do that than Alguersuari.

Somebody
19th July 2009, 23:18
STR are the only team not to have run a double-diffuser yet. They're meant to finally get one in Budapest, as part of that upgrade.

Valve Bounce
19th July 2009, 23:45

You do realise that the engines power is measured in horsepower and all the FIA has to do is count the quantity of feed the teams use each day for the horses.

There, problem solved.