PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to finish higher.....?

Oli_M
15th July 2009, 23:00
OK

To get away from all the politics of the last few months, how about this.

Assuming F1 remains as F1 and the entry list stays as it is, which of the three new teams do YOU think will finish highest in the constructors standings at the end of 2010?

A long way off I know, but I thought it would be interesting to see what people though just based on the teams' previous experience, results, history, current rumors and details released.

We know all three will use Cosworth engines, so that (perhaps nicely) levels them up in that respect. Obviously drivers are still unknown, but I think most are expecting the drivers for the teams to either be the 'elder statesmen' of F1 (either current drivers or testers), or rookie drivers from various backgrounds.

So, straight up, Team USF1, Campos Meta Team or Manor Grand Prix? One answer, and maybe a quick reason. See what the general trends are......

Darlo
15th July 2009, 23:25
I'm gonna say Manor simply because of the speculated Branson backing! :)

Nikki Katz
15th July 2009, 23:26
I guess that USF1 had a couple of months' more preparation, so they might have a slight advantage. It sounds like the other two were chosen for political reasons rather than their actual potential anyway. But it will depend on what chassis are used and what drivers they have.

Saint Devote
16th July 2009, 02:15
This is a tough one. Campos and Manor have depth of recent experience at managing a racing team, while US F1 does not - so I exclude it.

Campos is to build their car in the more traditional way, desinged and wind tunnelled.

But Manor is to use CFD only. It will be the first f1 designed that way. The LMS Acura was designed by the same Nick Wurth that is part of the Boothe Manor racing team.

I say that it will work well out of the box as does the Acura and is the new technology of design that will come to dominate racing.

And of course it depends on the drivers they can hire.

But, my rather longwinded answer is Manor-Cosworth.

ioan
16th July 2009, 08:35
Campos IMO. But first they need to make it to the first race.

Sonic
16th July 2009, 10:04
None of them will score points so wcc finishing order will be largely irrelevant.

ioan
16th July 2009, 10:09
None of them will score points so wcc finishing order will be largely irrelevant.

Points aren't the only way to rank the teams. Race finishes and positions count too.

Sonic
16th July 2009, 11:17
Yup. Very true, and also aware of it. IMO its splitting hairs as to who finishes higher of the teams that score no points. My opinion has always been that if you score nothing you should not be given a championship position. Either that or the scoring system needs to be made to make it easier to understand why team a beat team z when both have zero points on the board - but that's another thread so let's not go down the "what points system" again.

Sleeper
16th July 2009, 12:45
Campos as their car is designed by Dallara, the only one of the three to have high level single seater experience.

markabilly
16th July 2009, 13:03
I'm gonna say Manor simply because of the speculated Branson backing! :)

and the maxie connections will see to it others who threaten will be dq'd enuff to ensure ultimate victory

but if this is next year, no one is gonna give a sh$t??? :rolleyes:

ioan
16th July 2009, 13:08
Yup. Very true, and also aware of it. IMO its splitting hairs as to who finishes higher of the teams that score no points. My opinion has always been that if you score nothing you should not be given a championship position. Either that or the scoring system needs to be made to make it easier to understand why team a beat team z when both have zero points on the board - but that's another thread so let's not go down the "what points system" again.

That's a bit one sided.
If a team get's 17 times the 9th and 10th position at the end of the races and another gets 17 times 19th and 20th, you can not say they were equal.

Sonic
16th July 2009, 14:35
Your darn tooting its one sided, but I had a very similar conversation with a friend back in '95. I was telling him how much improved the simtek was and it had left its fellow back-of-the-grid runners (Pacific) behind. My friend (a casual F1 fan at the time) said simtek wss still rubbish as both they and Pacific had nill points. It took me a lot of explaining to point out that Jos the boss had run well at Brazil and Argentina (I think) that year, and it was just the points system that did not reflect or recognise the difference between 10th and 17th places.

It was about then that I started to think F1 needed a totally different points sytem to allow the lower teams to be set apart from one another rather than count backs.

Ps my mate is now a hardcore fan. :D

ioan
16th July 2009, 15:06
Your darn tooting its one sided...

I'll ignore this for now.

Your friends point was stupid, and I'm kind here.
Let's not forget these teams produce state of art racers, all of them. Race cars that are very very fast and would beat anything else around a F1 race track.

I guess your 'intelligent' friend would have had another tune if in F1 there would be a system giving points from 1st placed to last placed. His comment only proved that he didn't understood what this sport is based on, technology!

PS: Look at force India being faster than McLaren and BMW, but they still don't have a point, I wonder what your 'friend' would say about them.

Sonic
16th July 2009, 15:57
You've missed the point. Its nothing to do with us - the die hards. We all understand how the WCC positions are formulated, but for the casual fans it is unclear. Yes you are right he didn't understand back then, but that's my point - f1 needs to cater for all its fans. The devoted ones and the newbies.

ioan
16th July 2009, 17:31
You've missed the point. Its nothing to do with us - the die hards. We all understand how the WCC positions are formulated, but for the casual fans it is unclear. Yes you are right he didn't understand back then, but that's my point - f1 needs to cater for all its fans. The devoted ones and the newbies.

I see. Sorry for misinterpreting your point.

I believe the only way to please die hard fans and by passers is to give points to the whole grid.

Sonic
16th July 2009, 18:52
NASCAR style? Cool. :D

As for the point of the post. I have no idea who will do well next season but the team I see as having the longest shelf life as it were IMO will be USF1 - they have a product that might generate some interest in the states and if they can get both a good US driver and a USA GP back on the callender they might do ok long run.

jens
16th July 2009, 20:11
Campos due to their co-operation with Dallara is the most credible option. And not only in finishing highest, but also in making it to the grid at all... For example I would be surprised if Manor made it onto the grid with a car, which isn't a total embarrassment, at all. An F3 team, lack of infrastructure, funds, experience, everything. How on earth are they planning to become an F1 team?

christophulus
16th July 2009, 22:11
I'm also going for Campos - the funding is there as far as I know and with Dallara on board they look like a decent proposition.

However, I think it's going to be fairly relative, all three new teams will be well off the pace with the old Cosworth engines and lack of testing. And that will be exacerbated if in-season testing is allowed as of next year, as I don't think they'll have the budget to compete with the bigger teams and will slide further back...

...I'd love to be proved wrong though!