PDA

View Full Version : Why is Turn 3 so exciting(the corner, not the poster)

Marbles
13th July 2009, 02:28
Although the forum member TURN 3 may very well be awesome in his own right, my current focus is on the corner at the end of the Lakeshore straight. Is there a more exciting corner in all of Indy? Is there a more exciting corner in all of racedom?

Forget about over steer or under steer. Forget about loss of downforce or turbulent air. It's all smokin' wheels and mashed up sidepods. No matter how difficult passing had become in CART or CC there is always passing at the end of the Lakeshore. It looks like the IRL is no different.

An old CC thread about favourite corners in racing had T3 Toronto at the top, as well as other corners at the Toronto venue. Should some of us rethink out street circuit prejudice? If it's done right, it can't be done better... road course, oval.

Should a guy like Tilke measure every inch of Lakeshore Blvd. so he could hopefully incorporate it in one of his dismal billiard table courses?

TURN3
13th July 2009, 02:44
Although the forum member TURN 3 may very well be awesome in his own right, my current focus is on the corner at the end of the Lakeshore straight. Is there a more exciting corner in all of Indy? Is there a more exciting corner in all of racedom?

Forget about over steer or under steer. Forget about loss of downforce or turbulent air. It's all smokin' wheels and mashed up sidepods. No matter how difficult passing had become in CART or CC there is always passing at the end of the Lakeshore. It looks like the IRL is no different.

An old CC thread about favourite corners in racing had T3 Toronto at the top, as well as other corners at the Toronto venue. Should some of us rethink out street circuit prejudice? If it's done right, it can't be done better... road course, oval.

Should a guy like Tilke measure every inch of Lakeshore Blvd. so he could hopefully incorporate it in one of his dismal billiard table courses?

Hey!

Chamoo
13th July 2009, 04:48
In my Toronto Race Review on the blog, I asked if T3 was the best right hand turn in the IRL. I can't see why not. You get excitement there every 2 laps minimum. There were more passes in that corner today then at Richmond.

wedge
13th July 2009, 14:19

Yes he has.

All his tracks have the cookie cutter 1km long straight followed by hairpin.

Toronto works because its a bottleneck (the track narrows) and blind apex.

Hit your marks and be accurate because it can easily go oh so wrong.

I think Tilke is getting there. Turn 1 in Bahrain and the last part of Istanbul you can get excellent racing there.

Anubis
13th July 2009, 22:09
Certainly an exciting turn, but I can't watch the cars approach it without being reminded of Jeff Krosnoff's hideous crash sadly.

Marbles
13th July 2009, 22:10
Yes he has.

All his tracks have the cookie cutter 1km long straight followed by hairpin.

Toronto works because its a bottleneck (the track narrows) and blind apex.

Hit your marks and be accurate because it can easily go oh so wrong.

I think Tilke is getting there. Turn 1 in Bahrain and the last part of Istanbul you can get excellent racing there.

I guess the bottleneck, blind apex and the reducing radius would be virtually impossible for him duplicate considering a corner like this in F1 would have a paved run-off area you could land a 747 on.

nigelred5
13th July 2009, 23:12
Tilke did Valencia and at least had a hand in Singapore. I swear sometimes, it's like he's never watched a race.

NickFalzone
13th July 2009, 23:48
Certainly an exciting turn, but I can't watch the cars approach it without being reminded of Jeff Krosnoff's hideous crash sadly.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it, that's all I could think about.

wedge
14th July 2009, 00:02
Tilke did Valencia and at least had a hand in Singapore. I swear sometimes, it's like he's never watched a race.

Yes he has.

1km long straight and hairpin for slipstreaming large braking zone.

Ultra-wide permanent road courses - he stole that off Cleveland.

nigelred5
14th July 2009, 00:29
.........................and yet somehow, to me it's apparently all being lost in his translation into an f1 palace.

TURN3
14th July 2009, 04:05
You both realize the Krosnoff crash was on the straight just past the half way point between turns 2 and 3? Something that devastating would never happen in a turn where the speeds are much, much lower.

That's inaccurate. It was in the braking zone going into T3. There used to be a tree there. I stood and watch practice from there as it was general admission back then anyway. Krosnoff's crash involved that tree and it was in the braking zone, not the middle of the straight.

Anubis
14th July 2009, 12:56
You both realize the Krosnoff crash was on the straight just past the half way point between turns 2 and 3? Something that devastating would never happen in a turn where the speeds are much, much lower.

I appreciate the Krosnoff fatality wasn't at the turn per se, but like I said, I can't watch the cars APPROACH the turn without being reminded of it. The corner is certainly exciting for a variety of reasons, but every time I see a gaggle of cars dicing for position as they come up to the footbridge, I just see Krosnoff's car going airbourne.

markabilly
14th July 2009, 13:05
The contact with the tree was well past where the accident started and if memory serves me right, the corner worker was killed before the car hit the tree

a few years ago, i came upon the wreckage from a kid who went far too fast through an intersection, lost it and hit the traffic light pole on the island opposite his entry. The traffic pole did the usual break away but unfortunately the live oak tree which was only about two feet in diameter or so, was a few feet behind, and the accident killed the driver but not the tree which is stiil there.

Now i notice evrywhere, these breakaway light poles, where they have planted trees, just a few feet behind, and wonder what is the point about having a break away when there is a tree growing that is either large or will be large enough to kill, while seeing the image of that wrecked car which hit the tree head on

(and i should add where they sometimes place a break away on top of a built up concrete foundation that is built up one to to three feet tall???)

TURN3
14th July 2009, 13:57
Contact occured prior to flag station 2B (which used to be on driver's right and is the one that had the worker fatality). That station is/was before the pedestrian cross over bridge and the braking zone started after the bridge. The debris field covered a wide area and went down to turn 3, but the accident itself occured while the cars were still flat down the straight.

You're more accurate here, contact happened just under the bridge (otherwise he'd have taken out the bridge). That is the begining of the braking zone. At any rate, it is far from half-way down the back stretch which is what your first post said. There is a clip on YouTube but I prefer not to post it.