PDA

View Full Version : Bourdais over Doornbos?

MDS
12th July 2009, 20:59
So Robert Doornbos has been underwhelming for his first year with NHL, maybe it's a funding thing, or bad luck, or whatever.

Say you're NHL and Sebastien Bourdais becomes available. Do you pick him up and either dump Doornbos or relegate him to a third car to put Sebass in a competitive seat? The team needs a shot in the arm and getting Bourdais back be the jolt it needs.

I think if/when he loses his Red Bull ride he's interested in returning to the US because he still has his house in Tampa.

call_me_andrew
12th July 2009, 21:59
Doornbos has enough potential to warrent sticking it out.

If Bourdais goes to IndyCar, I would expect him to replace someone at AGR. I think AGR is on the verge of cutting off every driver except those who rhyme with Panica Datrick.

TURN3
12th July 2009, 22:33
Doornbos has enough potential to warrent sticking it out.

If Bourdais goes to IndyCar, I would expect him to replace someone at AGR. I think AGR is on the verge of cutting off every driver except those who rhyme with Panica Datrick.

I don't think Bourdais is a sponsor magnet and that is all AGR can afford to have. We're 1 year from the infamous implosion and looks like more of the same is coming. Rumor has had it that Mikey and Tony have had words as well as Mikey and Kim Green. Now Mikey's own spoiled brat son is talking. What AGR is laking is a shred of talent to develope those cars. When they had Franchitti and Herta, they were dominant with even a mediocre Wheldon.

As far as NHL, they aren't the same as when Bourdais dominated Champ Car. They've lost A TON of their engieering talent. They're not shabby but nowhere near what they were.

NickFalzone
12th July 2009, 22:40
NHL has been 2nd rate this year, no question about it. As far as AGR, it says a LOT when Danica is the most consistent and successful driver on your team. I don't know Tony's problem is, but it's probably a combo of weak engineering, no drivers to trade info with, and just plain bad luck and frustration. Just goes to show that having 4 drivers is no better than 1 driver if they're all selfish whiners that don't work together.

As far as Seabass, I'd put good money on him coming back to NHL next season.

call_me_andrew
12th July 2009, 23:35
Four drivers are better when you're allowed to test.

Bourdais may not be the sponsor magnet AGR wants, but he can set up a car and that's what AGR needs.

MDS
13th July 2009, 01:32
You may be on to something Andrew. I have a buddy who worked for NHL while Sebastien was there. He said Bourdais was one of the best technical drivers and one of the best at setting up a car the team had ever worked with, and when you look at their roster of past drivers that's saying a lot.

From what I'm reading Sebastien might be out as early as Monday. If I were Hass and Lanigan I'd been working on an extra entry for Bourdias for Edmonton so if he's available and wants to run you can capitolize on it.

The instant classic
13th July 2009, 02:32
Robert Doornbos has done nothing to wow me, i hear so many fans talk high of him but i don't see anything in him, maybe its all bad luck and it makes me feel that way

for Sebastien Bourdais? if he ever became available grab him, and he's a guy indycar needs

Marbles
13th July 2009, 02:44
Doornbos is a slow starter. I wouldn't give up on him yet. Rahal has a lot of potential, has a name and is American. Very important to keep him. Bourdais, as obnoxious as he is, is fast in an Indy car. Could NHL ramp up to a 3 car team?

EagleEye
13th July 2009, 03:30
So Robert Doornbos has been underwhelming for his first year with NHL, maybe it's a funding thing, or bad luck, or whatever.

Say you're NHL and Sebastien Bourdais becomes available. Do you pick him up and either dump Doornbos or relegate him to a third car to put Sebass in a competitive seat? The team needs a shot in the arm and getting Bourdais back be the jolt it needs.

I think if/when he loses his Red Bull ride he's interested in returning to the US because he still has his house in Tampa.

The team loves SB, and would make room for him, at least that was the plan at the start of the year when it looked his F1 ride was up for grabs.

Bobby D looks like he is in for the rest of the year as well, so they could run three cars. He would do well in the series, and it would be great to have him back.

Chamoo
13th July 2009, 03:42
Don't expect Doornbos to be dropped for Bourdais. Doornbos is paying his own way, or atleast his dad is. That McDonald's sponsorship on his car is very, very minimal money involved.

I would expect NHL to work their butts off to put together a third car for Sebastien for selected races, simply in preparation of a full year next season.

fugariracing
13th July 2009, 08:15
It's have money, will drive. I like Bobby D but he has not done anything substantive this year, and of course is only racing on the family check.

Bourdais I couldn't see going to AGR if he gets the boot, that team has been very much out of sorts and especially back in the pack on roadies/street courses this year. I almost wonder if the reason TK has struggled so much this year be that he isn't working with his longtime engineer Eric Cowdin who is now at Penske and TK is now with Allen McDonald? Just a suggestion.

I doubt anyone would balk at the opportunity to sign Seabass, but I doubt he'd drive for peanuts and if NHL can't muster sponsorship for a second car (the McDonald's is there more as a tribute to Newman than it is actual activation), I highly doubt they would run a third. Remember the Milka-to-NHL pre-season false dawn...

jimispeed
13th July 2009, 15:12
Robert Doornbos was doing quite well this race IMO. Looked like equipment failure to me. Is he too hard on equipment? I thought he was driving a pretty good race! He dropped back because of epuipment, and eventually it cost him his race. He should stay. He is a proven racer!!

Oli_M
13th July 2009, 16:07
See, this is the sad thing about IndyCar [and, many other racing series too].

Let's just say Bourdais is dropped from F1 and wants to return to American racing.

Add him to the list of PT, Power and even Tags who have proved they are good race car drivers, fully deserving of a full time seat. Yes, Doornbos may not be the greatest driver out there in IndyCar, but I can easily think of 10 drivers in the series less deserving of a seat than him.

It would be great to see Bourdais racing in the series, hopefully in a competitive seat. Its just a shame that these drivers are possibly prevented from being in the series, yet you have a number of drivers whose sponsor money sadly is a more attractive prospect than the ability to finish in the top 10 of races.

I'd certainly like to see both Bourdais and Doornbos in the series next year, I just don't know where they will end up and where sponsor money is likely to come from.

garyshell
13th July 2009, 16:28
Robert Doornbos was doing quite well this race IMO. Looked like equipment failure to me. Is he too hard on equipment? I thought he was driving a pretty good race! He dropped back because of epuipment, and eventually it cost him his race. He should stay. He is a proven racer!!

Since it appeared that the crew was changing out the electronics box durring his stop, I doubt it the issue was his abusing the car. At least not THIS instance anyway.

Gary

jimispeed
13th July 2009, 18:19
Since it appeared that the crew was changing out the electronics box durring his stop, I doubt it the issue was his abusing the car. At least not THIS instance anyway.

Gary

Well, that's good to know. He's definately a hard charger. I just hope this last half of the season he's able to show himself better.

Not many road/street courses left though, and he'd never been on an oval before this season.

(which I think is pretty D*** impressive!!)

drewdawg727
13th July 2009, 19:14
I predict we'll see Mutoh or Andretti out of the team next year with either Bourdais or even an up-and-coming Indy Lights driver (Hildebrand, Summerton) in the 4th car.

I think one thing we have to realize is that Graham is the poster child at NHL, with probably all of their resources and good engineering going to his car and using Bobby D's car as the test car (similar to how we saw Bryan Herta's role in AGR a few years ago). Doornbos has, for the most part, been learning and getting comfortable working with the team, so I don't think we all should be so hard on him.

TURN3
13th July 2009, 20:32
I predict we'll see Mutoh or Andretti out of the team next year with either Bourdais or even an up-and-coming Indy Lights driver (Hildebrand, Summerton) in the 4th car.

I think one thing we have to realize is that Graham is the poster child at NHL, with probably all of their resources and good engineering going to his car and using Bobby D's car as the test car (similar to how we saw Bryan Herta's role in AGR a few years ago). Doornbos has, for the most part, been learning and getting comfortable working with the team, so I don't think we all should be so hard on him.

I don't think you'll see a 4 car AGR next year at all. Maybe 3, maybe split into to 2 car teams. Things looked pretty bad there last year and they are looking slightly worse this year. I think the multiple reasons are obvious. Bourdais won't come back to US to race ovals and definately not this year at any rate. If he comes back next year it won't be with anybody buy NHL but it won't be the same...most of the technical team he knew isn't there.

MDS
14th July 2009, 01:27
Bourdais won't come back to US to race ovals and definately not this year at any rate. If he comes back next year it won't be with anybody buy NHL but it won't be the same...most of the technical team he knew isn't there.

I tend not to believe people when they talk in absolutes. I heard Bourdais had a good time while he was with NHL and he five ovals, and a solid run at Indy in 2005? He also talked positively about racing at the Brickyard during his time there, so I never saw him hating ovals. Beyond that hes won Edmonton, Toronto, Long Beach, Milwaukee

I know the book on Sebass is that he detested his time in Champ Car and he wouldn't lower himself to racing over here again, but that's not what I heard through guys who were on the team during that time. Yeah, he's not great with the public, but he has a wicked sense of humor and had a good relationship with the guys on the team.

MDS
16th July 2009, 15:51
It's official, Red Bull fired Bourdais this morning. That gives NHL a week to get him in a car for Edmonton.

I really hope they can get him back in a competitive ride, especially now in the road/street heavy portion of the schedule. If they could get some more sponsorship and get him in a car now he could be a serious threat for the Championship in 2010.

I always liked Sebass, and I would love to see him at NHL in a unified series.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=336760

drewdawg727
16th July 2009, 16:23
It's official, Red Bull fired Bourdais this morning. That gives NHL a week to get him in a car for Edmonton.

I really hope they can get him back in a competitive ride, especially now in the road/street heavy portion of the schedule. If they could get some more sponsorship and get him in a car now he could be a serious threat for the Championship in 2010.

I always liked Sebass, and I would love to see him at NHL in a unified series.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=336760

I am very highly doubtful that Bourdais will race in any venue for the rest of 2009. I just don't see it as feasible with the current state of the economy and with the state of the team right now.

NickFalzone
16th July 2009, 17:03
I don't agree Drew. While it's far from certain he'll be back in AOWR, NHL will have a seat for him this season if he wants. I could easily see a part time schedule, a road like Infineon and an easy oval like Homestead to get him prepped for next season. With the reduced off-season testing, he'll basically have to do a couple races this year if he wants to go for a championship run in 2010. Then again, he could end up in some Euro LM series or something, who knows. Some have said that since he's kept his home in Florida there's a reasonable shot he still has an interest in American racing.

drewdawg727
17th July 2009, 07:18
I don't agree Drew. While it's far from certain he'll be back in AOWR, NHL will have a seat for him this season if he wants. I could easily see a part time schedule, a road like Infineon and an easy oval like Homestead to get him prepped for next season. With the reduced off-season testing, he'll basically have to do a couple races this year if he wants to go for a championship run in 2010. Then again, he could end up in some Euro LM series or something, who knows. Some have said that since he's kept his home in Florida there's a reasonable shot he still has an interest in American racing.

I guess only time will tell......

jimispeed
17th July 2009, 12:41
In the standpoint of the fans and media, Bourdais is a whiner, and was spoiled by having a superior team and car. He also had a smooth driving style, and understood the engineering very well. The fans loved to hate him, and he developed quite a rivalry with PT and Robert Doornbos.

The fans and media would eat him up!! Would he do well in a mid level team? That is somehting that Champcar fans always argued.....

Would he be good for AOWR? For sure!!!

MDS
17th July 2009, 14:57
In the standpoint of the fans and media, Bourdais is a whiner, and was spoiled by having a superior team and car. He also had a smooth driving style, and understood the engineering very well. The fans loved to hate him, and he developed quite a rivalry with PT and Robert Doornbos.

The fans and media would eat him up!! Would he do well in a mid level team? That is somehting that Champcar fans always argued.....

Would he be good for AOWR? For sure!!!

I don't think you can uniformly say that the fans and media consider Bourdais a spoiled whiner. I think most of the fans aren't that hard core and wouldn't react strongly to him, but I'd bet the bitter IRL guys would boo him and I'm not so much worried about him with the media. Most of them realize that English isn't his first language, and his personality doesn't translate to print. That said, he's got a good sense of humor when he's in front of you, but some of the things he says just come off sounding like a ***** when its quoted.

As far as how he'd do in a mid-level team, I think all you have to do is look at Justin Wilson. I've always considered those guys as having similar levels of skill and JW won Watkins Glen and almost won St. Pete with Dale Coyne. If anything I think Bourdais would be able to match what Wilson's done, if not outmatch him. Seabass is one of those drivers who could elevate a mid-level team like NHL, KVRT, AGR or Panther to the next level.

Chamoo
17th July 2009, 21:20
Only issue I see with Seabass coming back is that he already has a contract signed with Peugeot to run the 24 Hours of Le Mans if he wants. He could probably turn that into a full Le Mans season ride, and have a nice quiet time in Europe with his family. His wife enjoys living in Europe more then the states, however, he still owns a home in Florida I believe so it's not out of the equation.

I still think Bourdais will end up with NHL next season in a second car. If Doornbos brings money again he will either go to NHL in the third car or run at AGR. I think AGR either takes Doornbos or Bourdais for 2010.

I don't see AGR running 4 cars next year. Imagine an AGR team concentrated on 3 cars? Then imagine an AGR team concentrated on 3 cars that include Tony Kanaan, Sebastien Bourdais, and J.R. Hildebrand or Marco Andretti?

NickFalzone
18th July 2009, 02:33
TK, Seb, and Marco would be a much stronger team that what they've got now. TK and Seb could actually share setup info. It's highly unlikely Danica will be back, she's going to either Gannassi or a NASCAR team, and supposedly Sato is coming in to replace Hideki for Honda on Gil's new team.

MDS
21st July 2009, 02:14
So here's the latest rumor. It popped up on another forum, but supposedly Sebastien was back in Tampa since Saturday and has been making some calls. The rumor is that part of the threat for legal action is that Sebastien and the team largely agree that Red Bull owes him a couple of years. These things are fairly unbreakable and no one wants a drawn-out court battle that would take years to resolve and put a lot of Torro Rosso info into the public record.

The compromise that's being floated is that Sebastien would go to AGR for two years with Red Bull backing, and that would fulfill their contractual obligations to him. Supposedly NHL and KVRT are in the mix as well.

Honestly, the rumor makes sense. Not thrilled with the idea of Red Bull coming in as part of a dead deal, but getting a new sponsor and a new driver would be good things.

NickFalzone
21st July 2009, 02:33
PT's gonna blow a fuse if this goes through, particularly if it's with KV.

calacan
21st July 2009, 22:38
Found some quotes. Doesn't sound like Carl is ready to give SB a seat.

"I feel badly for Seb [Sebastien Bourdais]. I know how talented he is, after all, he won 4 championships for our team in 5 years. I also know that he will use this experience to learn and get back to the greatness he was within himself." Carl Haas, co-owner, Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing IndyCar team

"I'm not surprised he's got the boot. The guy was a misery even when he had the best car and was winning everything, so I guess he's been pretty unbearable this last 18 months. He's a great driver but I bet his attitude didn't exactly encourage the team to solve his problems. I'm in two minds about this; I'm dreaming of the day that I'm able to give Bourdais the gears again but I will be mightily p***** if he walks back into a deal when I've been working my tail off - doing promotions and helping to sell tickets for race organizers - and don't get a full-time ride." Paul Tracy, IndyCar driver, KV Racing Technology, commenting on Sebastien Bourdais getting fired from the Toro Rosso F1 team

"We've got enough whiners over here. We don't need him back." [b]Robin Miller, Veteran Open Wheel Analyst, commenting on the possibility of Sebastien Bourdais returning to American open wheel racing."

drewdawg727
22nd July 2009, 00:22
So my prediction still stands...SB will not be in an Indycar for the rest of 2009, and probably gonna have to kiss some major arse around the paddock to get one for '10.

drewdawg727
22nd July 2009, 00:23
These things are fairly unbreakable and no one wants a drawn-out court battle that would take years to resolve and put a lot of Torro Rosso info into the public record.

And taxpayer dollars wasted on something so a whiny foreigner can get a ride.

garyshell
22nd July 2009, 06:10
And taxpayer dollars wasted on something so a whiny foreigner can get a ride.

Wouldn't those be foreign tax dollars, as the suit would most likely not be US based?

Gary

22nd July 2009, 09:51
Wouldn't those be foreign tax dollars, as the suit would most likely not be US based?

Gary

They'd be tax Euro's, seeing as how Toro Rosso are based in Faenza, Italy.

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=46052159

Scrub the 'Berger Motorsport' bit, as Gerhard sold up at the end of '08.

Not sure how Bourdais can reckon that Red Bull owe him 2 years, since his contract only covered 2009.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/official-bourdais-signs-toro-rosso-extension-3891.html

And I very much doubt that being behind his rookie team-mate in the championship standings was an acceptable performance clause.

Oli_M
22nd July 2009, 11:26
I can't see Red Bull funding a 2 year IndyCar entry for him as "compensation". At most I would have thought the remaining half of his 1-year contract would be worth perhaps $1-2M. I guess if he was successful in getting that money from Toro Rosso (which I doubt as I'm sure there will be performace clauses), he could perhaps use that money to get a ride? I don't know how much it really costs to 'buy' a seat in IndyCar at the moment.

I do wonder though how much potential sponsors would see him as 'damaged goods' - supposedly one of the best racers in the US Series, goes to F1 and regularly ends up being one of the slowest 3 or 4 drivers.

nigelred5
22nd July 2009, 13:10
I do wonder though how much potential sponsors would see him as 'damaged goods' - supposedly one of the best racers in the US Series, goes to F1 and regularly ends up being one of the slowest 3 or 4 drivers.

He performed just as many of us predicted he would in the Toro Rosso. I appreciate his skills, but I've never been a fan of his and I have been a fan of the NewmanHaas team since the team's formation.

Drivers with so called "smooth" driving styles seem to rarely do well in F1 unless they have a very superior car, which the STR version of Adrian Newey's design isn't. F1 generally requires a very agressive style to make pace, and I've never considered anything of Bourdais' style agressive.

I don't see sponsors giving Bourdais a nickle to race in Champcar, eeerrr, Indycar. Paul Newman brought the McDonalds deal to NHL and "MACDonuld's" as he pronounced it never activated the deal around him one bit. Maybe he can bring a little Perrier money ala Jaques Girard in Talladega nights.

Chamoo
22nd July 2009, 22:13
"We've got enough whiners over here. We don't need him back." [b]Robin Miller, Veteran Open Wheel Analyst, commenting on the possibility of Sebastien Bourdais returning to American open wheel racing."

Was that not an email sent to Robin Miller in his mailbag? Robin has always supported SB coming back to the IRL.

As for the possibility of Red Bull possibly funding Seb in the IRL, it makes sense for them. Instead of a lengthy court case that could end up in Red Bull spending much money on lawyers and possibly paying Seabass in the end, or they could just spend money to advertise in the US with a proven race winner on a good team.

"I feel badly for Seb [Sebastien Bourdais]. I know how talented he is, after all, he won 4 championships for our team in 5 years. I also know that he will use this experience to learn and get back to the greatness he was within himself." Carl Haas, co-owner, Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing IndyCar team

I don't see how this quote says Carl isn't ready to give Seabass a seat. If he can find the money to run him, and Seb wants in, he will run at NHL. Especially if Doornbos doesn't have the money for next year.

Oli_M
22nd July 2009, 22:38
W
As for the possibility of Red Bull possibly funding Seb in the IRL, it makes sense for them. Instead of a lengthy court case that could end up in Red Bull spending much money on lawyers and possibly paying Seabass in the end, or they could just spend money to advertise in the US with a proven race winner on a good team.

Problem is, the contract that may end up in a court case is a contract to race in F1, not IndyCar. They can't turn round and say, instead of 6 months of F1 racing you're getting a years IndyCar ride. That's not the contract either signed.

But yes, I agree it would be a good opportunity for Red Bull to advertise, but I do kinda doubt Seb would want to remain associated with them since he's been 'shafted'.

I know Red Bull effectively ended their previous IndyCar sponsorship when Cheever closed (is that correct? I wasn't watching back then)... any idea why they didn't move to another team etc then?

calacan
22nd July 2009, 22:48
The quotes came from AR1.com, so not sure if that was a quote from Robin or someone who emailed him. I found it a bit odd that Robin wouldn't support SB coming back to AOW.....SB was(is) a whinner tho.

As for Carl giving him a seat, I dunno...the quote just didn't seem to infer "yes Seb come back and I'll give you a car to drive" fom Carl. More like, "I feel bad for you but there's not much I can do unless you bring cash" IMO

Chamoo
22nd July 2009, 23:22
The quotes came from AR1.com, so not sure if that was a quote from Robin or someone who emailed him. I found it a bit odd that Robin wouldn't support SB coming back to AOW.....SB was(is) a whinner tho.

As for Carl giving him a seat, I dunno...the quote just didn't seem to infer "yes Seb come back and I'll give you a car to drive" fom Carl. More like, "I feel bad for you but there's not much I can do unless you bring cash" IMO

Carl was just putting out the politically correct answer. If Carl answers the question as, "Sure, I would love to have Seabass back in the seat and we're already working on it" then rumors are flying around everywhere and news and lies start popping up on these forums and it looks bad if they never find the money to run him.

Carl was just playing it smart.

calacan
22nd July 2009, 23:42
I suppose your correct. Time will tell.
It would be good to have some rivallry in the series, and SB with PT would make for some interesting moments again.

nigelred5
24th July 2009, 17:09
Problem is, the contract that may end up in a court case is a contract to race in F1, not IndyCar. They can't turn round and say, instead of 6 months of F1 racing you're getting a years IndyCar ride. That's not the contract either signed.

But yes, I agree it would be a good opportunity for Red Bull to advertise, but I do kinda doubt Seb would want to remain associated with them since he's been 'shafted'.

I know Red Bull effectively ended their previous IndyCar sponsorship when Cheever closed (is that correct? I wasn't watching back then)... any idea why they didn't move to another team etc then?

I think you have the cart before the horse on RedBull/Cheever. IIRC, Red Bull pulled the plug on the money train when they announced they were going to NASCAR and with that went Cheever's Indycar team. I seem to also remember that they had stated no interest in returning to Indycars. Things change and maybe a different situation would change that. They didn't stay around in Champcars nor were they very active when they were there, even in aAtlantics.

As far as Seb's Red Bull Deal, I suppose it made a difference with Scott Speed being American and a driver search product and not merely a STR driver, but they seemed to find the money to run him in ARCA, Trucks and Nationwide series pretty quickly after firing him. Maybe SB has a pocket full of cash and a handfull of Red Bull Decals to offer after being relieved of the STR seat. One can see where PT would be pissed if he got a ride, but SB did win 4 championships and he's significantly younger.

Oli_M
24th July 2009, 18:26
I think you have the cart before the horse on RedBull/Cheever. IIRC, Red Bull pulled the plug on the money train when they announced they were going to NASCAR and with that went Cheever's Indycar team. I seem to also remember that they had stated no interest in returning to Indycars. Things change and maybe a different situation would change that. They didn't stay around in Champcars nor were they very active when they were there, even in aAtlantics.

As far as Seb's Red Bull Deal, I suppose it made a difference with Scott Speed being American and a driver search product and not merely a STR driver, but they seemed to find the money to run him in ARCA, Trucks and Nationwide series pretty quickly after firing him. Maybe SB has a pocket full of cash and a handfull of Red Bull Decals to offer after being relieved of the STR seat. One can see where PT would be pissed if he got a ride, but SB did win 4 championships and he's significantly younger.

Ah ok thanks, as I said I wasn't watching Indy then, so wasn't really sure of the whole situation. I agree 100% the re-unification could well make them look at Indycar again....

Yeah, I believe Speed was a long-term Red Bull driver, so perhaps had a contract with Red Bull Driver program (rather than direct with STR - as is SB's case) so could be put into any RB-funded ride.

We'll just have to see how it all pans out I guess! But like I said before, I believe both PT and Bourdais are a great deal better (and, worth more value to the SERIES) than a good number of current drivers.

Are AGR likely to have a space available? I would have imagined Honda money will put a Japanese driver in one car, Andretti will be in a car as long as his dad owns the team, TK brings the 7-11 money, I suspect Danicas money not only covers her ride but ends up partly funding the other cars too, if she goes (as looks likely...) will they have enough money, even if Bourdais does bring some?

NickFalzone
24th July 2009, 18:37
DP and Hideki are highly unlikely to be at AGR next year. TK and Marco are staying. Michael will probably want a 3rd driver, and that driver will need to bring some good money. I don't know if there's Red Bull money or not for SB, but regardless i think he'll probably find $$ easier than PT, who has been struggling. That said, I've read a number of press releases about NHL being ready for SB in the last year. I see him going there. You might even see the well sponsored Doornbos moving over to AGR, as I don't anticipate NHL being a 3 car effort.

MDS
24th July 2009, 20:11
I suppose in an ideal world Red Bull would see that both Sebass and Robert Doornbos (Also a former Red Bull F-1 driver) could be at NHL together and put up $10 million to fund Sebass and Doornbos at NHL which turns into a three car team that would have the funding and depth to challenge the Big Two.

SoCalPVguy
24th July 2009, 21:58
Bourdais over Doornbos?

May the driver with the most sponsorship $$$ win.

TURN3
25th July 2009, 17:37
Any chance Bourdais is on a flight right now to replace Massa for a 1 off?

drewdawg727
14th September 2009, 20:22

I was bored so I thought I'd bring this up for old times sake, Nick. Care to refute your statement? :)

NickFalzone
14th September 2009, 20:36
I was bored so I thought I'd bring this up for old times sake, Nick. Care to refute your statement? :)

Pretty bored here too, not much going on in AOWR. Ok so SB went to SuperLeague and I guess did pretty well in the first race. I don't follow that series though, does it overlap with IRL in 2010? If it's going on now maybe their season will be over before the IRL season starts and he could have a seat there. To me it looks like he's trying to stay in Europe in case an F1 seat opens up, but if it becomes clear that's not going to happen, I still say IRL could be in his future (that is if IRL is still even around a 6 months to a year from now).

NickFalzone
14th September 2009, 20:39
BTW, am I the only one that kind of feels like the IRL season is over already? I know there's the Motegi race this weekend, but with a green flag probably around 11pm on Sat night I can't imagine a whole lot of people watching. Then that's it till the finale at Homestead on October 10th. Maybe there will be some decent promotion for that race, but right now just nothing, not even any real news on the IndyCar website for a couple weeks. Usually at least there's some silly season stuff going on at this time.

drewdawg727
14th September 2009, 21:35
I am with you Nick.....these next two races are going to pretty much be parades. Danica will NOT win Motegi again, too. (I wish DF would see this)

NickFalzone
15th September 2009, 00:01
I am with you Nick.....these next two races are going to pretty much be parades. Danica will NOT win Motegi again, too. (I wish DF would see this)

Well Motegi has actually had some decent racing the last couple years, at least when rain didn't ruin things. But Homestead is sure to be a snoozer unless the updated aero pkg is more significant than I realize. That place is a 2-laner at best and last couple years has been parade laps.

NickFalzone
15th September 2009, 00:02
With several new F1 teams supposedly starting up next year, any driver with those aspirations will be spending their time there. Don't look for much in the way of new (recycled?) euro talent over here next season.

That's their plan, but with F1, I'll believe it when I see it. Nothing there seems guaranteed as far as next season, though I'm sure it will happen one way or another.

nigelred5
15th September 2009, 01:08
Well, assuming all of the current series answer the bell for the forthcoming 2010 seasons, there are certainly far more open wheel rides potentially available in europe than in the IRL.

Chamoo
15th September 2009, 18:12
Well, assuming all of the current series answer the bell for the forthcoming 2010 seasons, there are certainly far more open wheel rides potentially available in europe than in the IRL.

Perhaps, but there are more competitive rides available in the IRL then in F1 I would think. With De Ferran Motorsports coming on board, and possible movement in the Ganassi camp, as well as an open seat (perhaps not, depending on Alex Lloyd) at NHL Racing, as well as AGR possibly have 2 open seats, there are more competitive seats unaccounted for in the IRL then in F1.