PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Scott Atherton

grassrootsracer
12th July 2009, 15:49
Interview with Scott Atherton over at Speed Tv's website:
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/pruett-7-questions-with-scott-atherton/

DavePI2
12th July 2009, 23:55
"We have no plans", sounds like the non-denial denial to me. That phrase amost guarantees the sale is comming, hopefully to irl and not rolex. He almost came right and said acura is leaving, be tough to survive if that happens. Too bad, sportcars have allways been my favorite type of racing since 1970 and the 917.

david

dataman1
20th July 2009, 19:10
"We have no plans", sounds like the non-denial denial to me. That phrase amost guarantees the sale is comming, hopefully to irl and not rolex. He almost came right and said acura is leaving, be tough to survive if that happens. Too bad, sportcars have allways been my favorite type of racing since 1970 and the 917.

david

David,

I talked with a few team members from the Acura teams at Lime Rock. All of them said basically the same thing. If there is no competition, Acura is likely gone. However 2 said they were aware of negotiations with Audi and Peugot to get them back in the U.S.. When I asked if Acura left, were they going to Rolex, IRL, etc.. only one said IRL, one Rolex the other mentioned staying and moving to GT2 cars. Did they tell me the truth or just blow wind?? Who knows. Just passing on info.

SportscarBruce
20th July 2009, 21:31
The FTC needs to take a look at any possibility of NASCAR absorbing ALMS.

SportscarBruce
20th July 2009, 22:07
Interview with Scott Atherton over at Speed Tv's website:
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/pruett-7-questions-with-scott-atherton/

Can you post highlights from the article? I have this thing again websites that employ script kiddie tactics...

Bob Riebe
21st July 2009, 02:57
The FTC needs to take a look at any possibility of NASCAR absorbing ALMS.
Why?
NASCAR is now suffering its own attendance and viewer loss, so you want them to absorb the IMSA?
WHY?

The France boy inherited EVERTHING he has, kinda like T. George; please tell me what he has done to make NASCAR grow.

SportscarBruce
21st July 2009, 04:09
Why?
NASCAR is now suffering its own attendance and viewer loss, so you want them to absorb the IMSA?
WHY?

The France boy inherited EVERTHING he has, kinda like T. George; please tell me what he has done to make NASCAR grow.

I don't WANT him to buy out ALMS, I'm saying IF a deal goes through it needs to fall under the scrutiny of the Federal Trade Commission.

Bob Riebe
21st July 2009, 21:27
I don't WANT him to buy out ALMS, I'm saying IF a deal goes through it needs to fall under the scrutiny of the Federal Trade Commission.A consumer protection agency-- Good grief--
WHY?

dataman1
22nd July 2009, 19:03
I believe Bruce's point is found in the text from the FTC web site. They prevent monopolies and unfare competitive pracitices. Nascar buying up all forms of racing would in effect create a monopoly.

The FTC deals with issues that touch the economic life of every American. It is the only federal agency with both consumer protection and competition jurisdiction in broad sectors of the economy. The FTC pursues vigorous and effective law enforcement; advances consumers’ interests by sharing its expertise with federal and state legislatures and U.S. and international government agencies; develops policy and research tools through hearings, workshops, and conferences; and creates practical and plain-language educational programs for consumers and businesses in a global marketplace with constantly changing technologies.

When the FTC was created in 1914, its purpose was to prevent unfair methods of competition in commerce as part of the battle to “bust the trusts.” Over the years, Congress passed additional laws giving the agency greater authority to police anticompetitive practices. In 1938, Congress passed a broad prohibition against “unfair and deceptive acts or practices.” Since then, the Commission also has been directed to administer a wide variety of other consumer protection laws, including the Telemarketing Sales Rule, the Pay-Per-Call Rule and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act. In 1975, Congress gave the FTC the authority to adopt industry-wide trade regulation rules. The FTC’s work is performed by the Bureaus of Consumer Protection, Competition and Economics. That work is aided by the Office of General Counsel and seven regional offices.

Bob Riebe
23rd July 2009, 19:34
I believe Bruce's point is found in the text from the FTC web site. They prevent monopolies and unfare competitive pracitices. Nascar buying up all forms of racing would in effect create a monopoly.

The FTC deals with issues that touch the economic life of every American. It is the only federal agency with both consumer protection and competition jurisdiction in broad sectors of the economy. The FTC pursues vigorous and effective law enforcement; advances consumers’ interests by sharing its expertise with federal and state legislatures and U.S. and international government agencies; develops policy and research tools through hearings, workshops, and conferences; and creates practical and plain-language educational programs for consumers and businesses in a global marketplace with constantly changing technologies.

When the FTC was created in 1914, its purpose was to prevent unfair methods of competition in commerce as part of the battle to “bust the trusts.” Over the years, Congress passed additional laws giving the agency greater authority to police anticompetitive practices. In 1938, Congress passed a broad prohibition against “unfair and deceptive acts or practices.” Since then, the Commission also has been directed to administer a wide variety of other consumer protection laws, including the Telemarketing Sales Rule, the Pay-Per-Call Rule and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act. In 1975, Congress gave the FTC the authority to adopt industry-wide trade regulation rules. The FTC’s work is performed by the Bureaus of Consumer Protection, Competition and Economics. That work is aided by the Office of General Counsel and seven regional offices.
In that case-- any concern should be the possibility of the France concern buying the race tracks.
That way a monopoly can be created.
A sanction is a sanction; if it is purchased, or ceases to exist, in no way can be challenged under monopoly laws.
Who puts on the races does not matter; NOT having a place to race, even though a functional sanction exists, THAT could be a problem.

racefanfromnj
25th July 2009, 04:56
Just a silly quote i heard from some comedian dont know who but he asked "why is it only one company makes monopoly" hmmm strange indeeed