PDA

View Full Version : Loeb in F1?

Josti
11th July 2009, 14:27
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76853

Well, this probably won't be happening, but it will be interesting if he could make the switch to F1 sometime and see how far he can go. Though he is on age.

ShiftingGears
11th July 2009, 14:30
If anything, it indicates that he is tiring of WRC. As far as circuit racing goes, he might do a few more F1 tests, and take part in the Le Mans 24 hour again. But not much more.

Helstar
11th July 2009, 16:02
About time... it's since years he's thinking about that. Actually ... he WANTS it, but it is hard to believe that TR team will give him a change in a real race.
But it's not impossible ^^

Daniel
11th July 2009, 21:25
Would be cool, but it won't happen

gloomyDAY
11th July 2009, 22:42
Olivier would rather lose his left nut than lose Loeb.

Ain't gonna happen!

gm99
11th July 2009, 23:21
From a marketing perspective, it would be making a lot of sense for Torro Rosso, who have been flying well under the radar throughout this season.

And with only four WRC events left and only one of them (Catalonia) clashing with an F1 race, Loeb could actually do both F1 and rallying. Also of course, Red Bull is a sponsor of the Citroen rallye team, so they might want to pull some strings.

I agree it is a long shot, but it would be interesting to see how Loeb does in Formula One.

Saint Devote
12th July 2009, 02:15
While class is scorned these days by many, at least drivers such as Button, Barrichello, Piquet and Bourdais have that.

Loeb is a bloodsucker and he thinks he can step from one of those silly little rally cars to formula 1 car, especially the TR and race better than a proven driver like Bourdais?

I think Loeb has what Eddie Irvine used to term "a legend in his own mind".

Ranger
12th July 2009, 02:23
While class is scorned these days by many, at least drivers such as Button, Barrichello, Piquet and Bourdais have that.

Loeb is a bloodsucker and he thinks he can step from one of those silly little rally cars to formula 1 car, especially the TR and race better than a proven driver like Bourdais?

Both Loeb and Valentino Rossi have only done limited mileage in F1 cars and were less than a second slower than the regulars who drove them, despite being complete novices.

He won't race in F1 though, at 35 he is too old to start.

Saint Devote
12th July 2009, 02:36
Both Loeb and Valentino Rossi have only done limited mileage in F1 cars and were less than a second slower than the regulars who drove them, despite being complete novices.

These days being more than 200ths slower than a teammate is slow.

It was barely 10 years ago that being with 700ths was good as a start.

There is a significant difference being able to be "almost as quick" versus competitive. Lots of drivers would be under a second - it is a small band that could be consistently competitive.

Ghostwalker
12th July 2009, 11:08

He was faster then that:

http://www.rallybuzz.com/loeb-video-f1-test/

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72194

but i agree that he is too old for a F1 career.

driveace
12th July 2009, 11:32
Wishful thinking on Loebs part i think.Its different driving a 35 minute stage,to driving a 90 minute race.And although 35 years old may not have been old a few years ago for F1 ,the youngsters like Vettel are here now at 22 years old.

seb_sh
13th July 2009, 10:59
Ah from what I understand the original interview was a bit tongue in cheek when he was asked about this but his reply has been taken out of context and made a big deal out of.

Obviously he's a talented driver and was not far off the pace when he raced at Le Mans so with more practice he could find a second career there but I don't think he seriously considers he can be competitive in F1 (or at least I don't).

ShiftingGears
13th July 2009, 11:04
Obviously he's a talented driver and was not far off the pace when he raced at Le Mans so with more practice he could find a second career there but I don't think he seriously considers he can be competitive in F1 (or at least I don't).

I believe he was fastest of his teammates in one of the wet practice sessions in preparations for Le Mans.

I would root for him if he tried the 24 hour again. It's a brilliant event.

christophulus
13th July 2009, 11:47
Rally GB is the weekend before the Abu Dhabi GP, so I can see him making a one-off appearance that weekend..

Long term though, no chance. He's too old to start a career now IMO

ClarkFan
13th July 2009, 16:19
From a marketing perspective, it would be making a lot of sense for Torro Rosso, who have been flying well under the radar throughout this season.

And Loeb would have to be nuts to do it. Jump from a successful rally career into a sinking F1 team that has been cannibalizing its own? That is a working definition of :crazy: .

ClarkFan

Sonic
13th July 2009, 20:27
That is a working definition of :crazy: .

ClarkFan

Don't you have to be :crazy: to be a rally driver anyway?? ;)

tmx
14th July 2009, 00:46

You point of view is dillusional.

ShiftingGears
14th July 2009, 10:59

Maybe you should read what he said before accusing him of being a bloodsucker and arrogant.

I've never seen any evidence of this, ever.

But he is a motorsport legend.

ClarkFan
14th July 2009, 14:05
Don't you have to be :crazy: to be a rally driver anyway?? ;)

Yes, but not crazy in that particular fashion! :p

ClarkFan

I am evil Homer
14th July 2009, 14:19
Maybe you should read what he said before accusing him of being a bloodsucker and arrogant.

I've never seen any evidence of this, ever.

But he is a motorsport legend.

Agree 100%....Sainet Devote I have no idea where you got this impression of Loeb. He's always come across a great sportsman and gentlemen whether winning (which he does a lot of!) or losing.

ioan
14th July 2009, 14:50

Another pearl of StD 'wisdom'! :rotflmao:

Sonic
14th July 2009, 16:16
Perhaps we could find a rally driver who would take StD for a ride in his "silly little car". Might set him straight.

ioan
14th July 2009, 18:05
Perhaps we could find a rally driver who would take StD for a ride in his "silly little car". Might set him straight.

He sure wouldn't talk to much after the first corner. :D

ClarkFan
14th July 2009, 20:32
He sure wouldn't talk to much after the first corner. :D

Would require some sort of moisture-proof covering for the navigator's seat, or it would smell funny afterward.

ClarkFan

Doon
24th July 2009, 18:59
Would require some sort of moisture-proof covering for the navigator's seat, or it would smell funny afterward.

ClarkFan

lol! Yes quite!

I think he is going to suprise a few people and really hope he does. I think most drivers become quick and legends with practice, but Seb is basically a boy race who can drive like no one else and has big, big balls. WRC, F1, Dakar, LM24, anything with a car, he can win.

Put it on pole Seb ;)

AndyRAC
24th July 2009, 20:13

How ignorant can one get? This guy is fast in anything. Dear me.... :dozey:

Doon
24th July 2009, 22:37
How ignorant can one get? This guy is fast in anything. Dear me.... :dozey:

Agree, Loeb will do well. At least top 10 with a clean run. I dont think the F1 guys can see that this guy is a genius, the greatest driving talent the world has ever seen....... i wont hold my breath!

ShiftingGears
25th July 2009, 01:25
He's brilliant at driving a car fast, but he hasn't got racecraft, and has no idea how to navigate a field of 20 closely matched cars driving at 10/10ths ploughing into the first corner.

Lets be honest, Le Mans is no comparison to driving in a grand prix. So for that reason, he shouldn't be in F1 without going through several feeder series races.

Saint Devote
25th July 2009, 02:02
Ah I see the silly little discussion clique is snickering again - yet you have no answer for my statement.

Toro Rosso have to decide whether they are a serious racing team or one making up the numbers using publicity stunts. Gunter Schmidt would be right at home.

And anyone that believes Loeb will actually do better than Bourdais is as dysfunctional as those that believe Obama is presidential material.

ioan
25th July 2009, 08:39
Ah I see the silly little discussion clique is snickering again - yet you have no answer for my statement.

Your statements are just a load of hot air, there is no other answer to that than a good healthy :rotflmao: !