PDA

View Full Version : Jonesin' for Football...

veeten
11th July 2009, 03:16
North American-style, that is... ;)

Three weeks before the NFL pre-season and two weeks for College.

Thank goodness for the CFL. :D Watchin' the Calgary-Winnepeg game. :) :up:

Tazio
11th July 2009, 12:13
V10 your hard core :p :
The season is already too long for me.
I'll be burnt-out by Thanksgiving :uhoh:
OK who do you like in the SEC. Florida is going to be tough to dethrone
but I think Nick Sabans boys will do it. Roll Tide :up:
In the AFC I think the Chargers will take the west with ease.
I like New England in the AFC North with Miami not achieving as much this year,
as I think the wildcat offence will have lost its novelty. Buffalo may be a surprise out of that division!
As for the AFC North I think it's a toss-up between Pittsburgh, and Baltimore.
In The AFC South It will be Indy or Tennessee. AFC Championship game San Diego vs. Baltimore.
I'll get back to you with the NFC. :)

pettersolberg29
11th July 2009, 12:53
It's not real football though, is it?

It's American Rugby - nowhere near the far superior game of football.

Tazio
11th July 2009, 17:34
It's not real football though, is it?

It's American Rugby - nowhere near the far superior game of football.American Rugby is called "Rugby" in America
Do you mind if some of us discuss the pitiful sport Americans call Football? :confused:

pettersolberg29
11th July 2009, 17:43
Go ahead - as long as you always refer to American Football as 'The Pitiful Game'. Deal? ;)

Mark in Oshawa
11th July 2009, 17:47
To those Europeans who don't understand North American "Football", just move along. There is much to poke fun at with soccer or your "football" but you notice they refrained from doing so.

Veeten...I didn't know you were hardcore enough to watch CFL. I watch CFL pretty much steady until after the Grey Cup. The pace is faster with the 30 second play clock and the bigger field with 3 downs and no fair catch, I find NFL too slow when I am watching CFL Saturday and NFL sunday...

Tazio
11th July 2009, 18:05
To those Europeans who don't understand North American "Football", just move along. There is much to poke fun at with soccer or your "football" but you notice they refrained from doing so.

Veeten...I didn't know you were hardcore enough to watch CFL. I watch CFL pretty much steady until after the Grey Cup. The pace is faster with the 30 second play clock and the bigger field with 3 downs and no fair catch, I find NFL too slow when I am watching CFL Saturday and NFL sunday...

It is an interesting and exiting variation. I like the Idea of three downs per set,
while loosening up the offensive restrictions (like being able to have more than one man in motion).
Plus you don't have all the pussified rules that treat the Quarterback like a pregnant woman! :p :
When I was younger I used to watch, but I'm not that hard core anymore! :up:

Mark in Oshawa
11th July 2009, 18:19
It is an interesting and exiting variation. I like the Idea of three downs per set,
while loosening up the offensive restrictions (like being able to have more than one man in motion).
Plus you don't have all the pussified rules that treat the Quarterback like a pregnant woman! :p :
When I was younger I used to watch, but I'm not that hard core anymore! :up:

Taz, I think if the NFL was played to CFL rules, you would have MORE fans. The speed of a CFL game is the thing. The short clock means roided up freaks on the O line and D line cant exist in the same way because they wouldn't be able to stand the pace of 20% more plays per game. The no fair catch means punting is much more important and running back kicks is a part of the game that can win you games, especically with the 3 downs meaning you have more kicks.

The only drawback in the CFL game is the running game has almost become an interesting sideshow. You don't see the classic running plays that the NFL has. Then again, watching a guy run 3 yards and being tackled 2 plays followed by a bad attempt at a pass by a very conservative NFL offense is boring too....

pettersolberg29
11th July 2009, 18:19
Don't worry Mark, I was only joshing with you! There's plenty of room for Soccer and NFL to co-exist.

Tazio
11th July 2009, 18:38
Taz, I think if the NFL was played to CFL rules, you would have MORE fans. The speed of a CFL game is the thing. The short clock means roided up freaks on the O line and D line cant exist in the same way because they wouldn't be able to stand the pace of 20% more plays per game. The no fair catch means punting is much more important and running back kicks is a part of the game that can win you games, especically with the 3 downs meaning you have more kicks.

The only drawback in the CFL game is the running game has almost become an interesting sideshow. You don't see the classic running plays that the NFL has. Then again, watching a guy run 3 yards and being tackled 2 plays followed by a bad attempt at a pass by a very conservative NFL offense is boring too....No doubt that the extra down does tend to make offences’ more conservative.
I am very critical of the NFL. I think as an equitable sport it has been regressing for many years.
I'm not interested in getting the sport more popular. Only more exiting, faster paced, and more equitable!
BTW did Johnny Musso ever amount to anything in the CFL?

Mark in Oshawa
11th July 2009, 18:38
Don't worry Mark, I was only joshing with you! There's plenty of room for Soccer and NFL to co-exist.

There is...and I watch some "football" when I am in the mood. That said, I grew up on North American football and can see where it evolved out of rugby. I like sports where the idea of body contact doesn't leave people writhing around on the ground from faux injuries. When some of these people in the Premier League or Serie A stop flopping around like today's catch after a phantom contact, they will get more respect from me. Seeing that crap slows the "beautiful" game down....

Tazio
18th July 2009, 23:10
Taz, I think if the NFL was played to CFL rules, you would have MORE fans. I've been meaning to comment on this.
Have you lived in an NFL City lately, specifically a fair weather one? I have lived in San Diego since the Chargers were the L.A. Chargers. Saw some games at Balboa Stadium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balboa_Stadium
The Stadium they are currently using originally called San Diego Municipal Stadium, now QUALCOMM is about 3 miles from where I grew up. As an adolescent and young man I really appreciated the convenience. With the growth and current population of San Diego it's a pain in the a$$. Hosting the Super bowl is the worst as the entire media goes off the hook. It's a freakin nightmare. Two weeks of the type of insanity I could do without.
But during the regular season I would be happy with about 4 or 5 hundred thousand less fans in this city JMHO

MrJan
19th July 2009, 00:34
There is...and I watch some "football" when I am in the mood. That said, I grew up on North American football and can see where it evolved out of rugby. I like sports where the idea of body contact doesn't leave people writhing around on the ground from faux injuries. When some of these people in the Premier League or Serie A stop flopping around like today's catch after a phantom contact, they will get more respect from me. Seeing that crap slows the "beautiful" game down....

That's why you want to watch some lower league football :D Diving is still about but there is a degree of cheating in every sport anyway, athletics, cycling and baseball (I believe) have a stupidly long list of people that have been caught doing much worse than just play acting.

ANyway Veeten I know what you mean about the off season, I start to get very itchy (it's been about 7 or 8 weeks since my team played their last competitive game) and have to resort to the pre-season friendlies which have started up in the last week or two. Thankfully our season kicks off again on August 8th so it's not long before I have the heartache, apprehension and unbridled joy of watching 22 men run playing with balls........I fear that may have sounded wrong :cheese: :laugh: You know what I mean :p :

edv
19th July 2009, 15:16
I have always enjoyed both the CFL game and the NFL game.
The CFL game is great for the spectators.
The NFL game is great for gambling.
Very tough to bet on CFL games as they tend to be more wide open, and a single player can have a greater impact on the outcome as compared to NFL.
The NFL tends to more of a war/chess match between opposing coaches.