PDA

View Full Version : What if they moved the Indy 500 to Saturday?

disko
11th July 2009, 02:56
Little E said Thursday that a lot of Nascar drivers would participate if there was not a conflict.

If they move the race to Saturday, it now becomes even bigger (if and only if nascar drivers race in the 500) as you would now get the best drivers in at least the US running for the grand prize in autoracing.

So, the debate is, what do they have to lose? I think this is a logical step to regain TV viewership (tell me all the nascar loyals wouldn't tune in to watch stewart, bush bros, little e racing in the 500).

Is the trade off worth it?

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 03:13
Little E said Thursday that a lot of Nascar drivers would participate if there was not a conflict.

If they move the race to Saturday, it now becomes even bigger (if and only if nascar drivers race in the 500) as you would now get the best drivers in at least the US running for the grand prize in autoracing.

So, the debate is, what do they have to lose? I think this is a logical step to regain TV viewership (tell me all the nascar loyals wouldn't tune in to watch stewart, bush bros, little e racing in the 500).

Is the trade off worth it?

yes... IMo the trade off is worth it

UltimateDanGTR
11th July 2009, 08:11
definatly. as much as the indy 500 has all tradition of sunday and all that, im sure a move of 1 day wont hurt anyway. aslong as its run at the same time etc then thats fine. definatly worth it.

and it would be a great spectacle. id like to see jeff gordon in an indycar, now theres a thought. same with stewart, edwards, the busches etc. (just for this race mind you).

Chamoo
11th July 2009, 09:05
The problem then becomes, what do these Nascar guys do for qualifying? They miss bump day, they miss 2nd day qualifications, and they would miss most practice days you would have to think with commitments to their Cup teams?

It isn't just about one day, if it was, I'd say jump on it. Problem is we have more then just the race to take into consideration.

DanicaFan
11th July 2009, 15:56
Negative. You are messing with serious tradition. Its almost blasphemy to say that. ;)

If NASCAR guys want to race in it, move the Coca Cola 600 to Saturday night. That would be the most obvious choice since its a much newer race not rich in history and tradition like the 500.

ShiftingGears
11th July 2009, 16:06
Why would they? Indy has always been about tradition, not scraping for ratings. Maybe someone should consider actually improving the IRL first.

Chamoo
11th July 2009, 16:10
Why would they? Indy has always been about tradition, not scraping for ratings. Maybe someone should consider actually improving the IRL first.

Technically, the reason the race was moved a couple hours, thus stopping the Nascar drivers from doing the double, was because the 500 was scraping for ratings. They wanted better TV coverage, and would only get that from moving later.

NickFalzone
11th July 2009, 16:11
This would be a dumb idea. For one, addition of a couple NASCAR drivers is not going to bump the ratings up that much. And secondly, if the NASCAR drivers are really wanting to do Indy than they should petition NASCAR to move the Coke race, which is really just another race on the Cup calendar. Indy is the biggest race of the year by far for the IRL, it makes no sense to touch it even if ratings have dropped the last couple years, they're still good ratings and it has great attendance.

Wade91
11th July 2009, 16:57
have lights installed around the track, and run the indy 500 saturday night

Jag_Warrior
11th July 2009, 17:18
The addition of certain (popular) NASCAR drivers to the Indy 500 would likely make a big positive difference in the ratings, just as it did for the Rolex 24 at Daytona beginning several years ago. I could easily imagine the ratings shooting up by 40-50% just with the addition of Stewart, Little E, Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson.

I don't think it's going to happen. And I think outside of Stewart (team owner/driver), the others wouldn't risk injury, or be allowed to risk injury, in unfamiliar (Honda powered) cars.

Wade91
11th July 2009, 17:36
the problem is there aren't many populair nascar drivers that have exspirence in open wheel cars, besides John Andretti theres only Roby Gordon, Tony Stewart, and Casey Mears, i'm sure others could drive an indycar, but i'm not sure how many would wanna race in the indy 500, if they didn't come from a open wheel background and open wheel racing didn't have have a senificant importance to them like that

Jag_Warrior
11th July 2009, 17:44
Yeah, and I don't even count Casey as being all that popular. Juan Montoya is probably the only other relatively popular driver who has (massive) experience in open wheel. You've got A.J. and Scott Speed, but them taking part wouldn't make a difference either, IMO.

I think it's just an idea/fantasy = never going to happen.

Wade91
11th July 2009, 17:52
oh yeah, i forgot about Juan Montoya and Allmendinger, and Speed from champ car and F1 i'm sure Ganassi could put a 3rd car in the indy 500 for Montoya, Sam Hornish jr could also do the double although hes alrady more well knowen as a indycar driver

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 17:56
Negative. You are messing with serious tradition. Its almost blasphemy to say that. ;)

that all changed the day tintops ran in 94'

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 17:58
This would be a dumb idea. For one, addition of a couple NASCAR drivers is not going to bump the ratings up that much. And secondly, if the NASCAR drivers are really wanting to do Indy than they should petition NASCAR to move the Coke race, which is really just another race on the Cup calendar. Indy is the biggest race of the year by far for the IRL, it makes no sense to touch it even if ratings have dropped the last couple years, they're still good ratings and it has great attendance.

its hardly a dumb a idea.... but with the rest of your post comes the rub......it would have to be done in conjunction with nascar... and that is not going to happen

Mark in Oshawa
11th July 2009, 18:14

If NASCAR guys want to race in it, move the Coca Cola 600 to Saturday night. That would be the most obvious choice since its a much newer race not rich in history and tradition like the 500.

Serious tradtion went down the toilet when they dumped the open to all comers aspect of the race with the 25/8 rule. When you lost bumping, lost the 60 plus cars showing up for 4 weeks of cars on the track, you might as well face the reality that a few NASCAR drivers in the field might just add new eyeballs in the form of NASCAR fans who have never sat down and watched an IRL race. You want fans, you want ratings and you NEED attention. Right now, you can stick that tradition where the sun doesn't shine if the series goes town the toilet.

Also, if your precious Danica runs to NASCAR, you will all the sudden think it is a great idea.....

EagleEye
12th July 2009, 21:41
definatly. as much as the indy 500 has all tradition of sunday and all that, im sure a move of 1 day wont hurt anyway. aslong as its run at the same time etc then thats fine. definatly worth it.

and it would be a great spectacle. id like to see jeff gordon in an indycar, now theres a thought. same with stewart, edwards, the busches etc. (just for this race mind you).

The race use to run on Memorial day, and for a time on Saturday. I belive the move to Sunday happend in the early 70's (74?).

I think a move to Satuday would be welcome, or an earlier start on Sunday.

champcarray
13th July 2009, 17:42
Moving it a day earlier only helps if the weather is good. If the race is delayed one day by rain, wouldn't the NASCAR drivers have to forego the I500, put in a replacement driver, and race the CC600?

SarahFan
13th July 2009, 17:48
Moving it a day earlier only helps if the weather is good. If the race is delayed one day by rain, wouldn't the NASCAR drivers have to forego the I500, put in a replacement driver, and race the CC600?

I would say it depends on there nascar contracts and point standing... some might some stay and race... some might not.... just adds to the intrigue imo

champcarray
13th July 2009, 17:52
As for the day the race is held, I'm just old enough to remember when the race was held on Saturday (1971 and 1972). Here's some background from Wikipedia:

The race has always been scheduled in conjunction with Memorial Day. Through 1970, the race was held on Memorial Day proper (May 30), regardless of the day of the week, unless it fell on Sunday. In those cases it was scheduled for Monday May 31. After the Uniform Monday Holiday Act took effect in 1971, the race was scheduled for Memorial Day weekend instead.

From 1971-1972, the race was scheduled for the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

In 1973, the race was scheduled for Memorial Day Monday. However, rain delayed it until Wednesday.

Since 1974, the race has been scheduled for the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. The only race not held on Memorial Day weekend was 1986. The race had to be postponed, due to rain, until the following Saturday.

gerkebi
13th July 2009, 19:22
I think Monday makes more sense. Make it a real Memorial Day classic. Qualifying is already in the books, so the tin tops could stay on their usual schedule, and you wouldn't have to have much (if any) cooperation with NASCAR.

nigelred5
13th July 2009, 23:26
I too think Monday would make more sense. No conflict with The Nascar weekend schedule or any other series drivers might be interested. Now you just have to find a way to find teams, cars and sponsorship to field another 15-20 cars for all these drivers that supposedly want to participate. as long as there is in essence only one chassis and engine combo allowed, I don't see it happening.

Jag_Warrior
14th July 2009, 21:41
Penske was on Speed's Wind Tunnel the other night. I didn't catch the entire interview, but he seemed to be suggesting they do something to get some NASCAR drivers into the 500 for the 100th Anniversary of IMS.

By some of the comments I've read, I think some posters are forgetting that it's not NASCAR, ISC or SMI that has a problem. There's no reason for NASCAR or Smith's SMI to do anything to help Indy. Why would he shuffle the Coke 600? That wouldn't benefit him in the least. Penske seemed to be suggesting some kind of a deal that would benefit all parties.

Rex Monaco
14th July 2009, 21:55
Maybe they could run the Indy 500 at Charlotte to make it even easier for NASCAR drivers to attend.

I'd love to see some of the NASCAR drivers run at Indy. But I'd much rather see Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota run at Indy.

Bob Riebe
14th July 2009, 23:25
Move the race back to the REAL Memorial Day and say to hell to the farce they have now that exists to give government workers a three day vacation.

16&Gtown
14th July 2009, 23:51
What if you moved Christmas to March?

grungex
15th July 2009, 00:26
It would probably be just as accurate as it is in December...

Lee Roy
15th July 2009, 04:06
But I'd much rather see Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota run at Indy.

They will be in about 10 days.

garyshell
15th July 2009, 05:15
But I'd much rather see Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota run at Indy.

They will be in about 10 days.

They will? Really? I thought they were still running that "COT". You know, the one with decals where the headlights and radiators would be so the fans can squint their eyes and pretend there are different makes on the track. The one with engines that have no resemblence to anything from the four firms named above. When was the last time a Ford, Chevy or Dodge ran in NASCAR?

I know my uncle drove a Ford to win the Southern 500 in 1961, and there were Fords on the track for a several years after that.

Gary

Griffon
15th July 2009, 09:55
Appropriately for this discussion, I see that Nelson also won the World (Coke) 600 in 1962 in a Holman-Moody Ford.

Lee Roy
15th July 2009, 12:51
They will? Really? I thought they were still running that "COT". You know, the one with decals where the headlights and radiators would be so the fans can squint their eyes and pretend there are different makes on the track. The one with engines that have no resemblence to anything from the four firms named above. When was the last time a Ford, Chevy or Dodge ran in NASCAR?

BFD. The marketing folks for Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota will be there in about 10 days. You'll never see them again there in May . . . . . that is until the Indy 500 becomes a NASCAR race, which may not be all that far fetched anymore.

Bob Riebe
15th July 2009, 13:35

I know my uncle drove a Ford to win the Southern 500 in 1961, and there were Fords on the track for a several years after that.

Gary
Actually at this point Ford is still running, but not for long, an engine that is interchangeble with parts from any small block for in the parts catalog.

Chris R
15th July 2009, 13:54
I think Indy needs to whatever it has to to adopt to the modern era - honestly a Saturday evening race might be the best way... I know that for the modern working stiff a day race is really hit and miss in terms of ability to watch on TV and ability to attend... I watch F1 when it is on Speed at 7.30 AM on
sunday because I have time. I watch some NASCAR in the evening because I have time (and there is NOTHING else on these days...) I very rarely watch daytime races - especially in the height of summer.... I did not even have time to watch much of Indy for the past 4 years - but I would have had time if it was in the evening....

Also, we do not need no stinking NASCAR drivers - it might be nice - but Indy should not necessarily change because of NASCAR - if you wan to lead you do not follow - however, if you change to get a more favorable viewing time that is fine.......

NickFalzone
15th July 2009, 15:16
I agree Chris. Indy is STILL doing pretty well. Attendance has been outstanding the last few years, and it's still getting decent numbers on tv. I don't think the 500 is where changes need to be made. The support series is what needs to be either fixed or rebuilt. If they can get the series back to prominence, with more engines/chassis variety and better on track action, Indy will be even stronger. But I just don't feel like the 500 is in that bad a spot where it needs to be reworked or compromised for a NASCAR crowd.

Rex Monaco
15th July 2009, 15:33
The one with engines that have no resemblence to anything from the four firms named above.

By your standard, the Honda badged car running in the IRL today has no connection to any past or present production car (or truck) either.

At least Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota actually produce V8 powered vehicles that you can go out and buy today. Honda has never offered the world a V8 powered car (or truck).

But no, NASCAR is no longer 'stock cars'. But who really wants to watch 3 V6 FWD car's (and 1 RWD) run around in circles at 150mph?

garyshell
15th July 2009, 15:48
BFD. The marketing folks for Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota will be there in about 10 days. You'll never see them again there in May . . . . . that is until the Indy 500 becomes a NASCAR race, which may not be all that far fetched anymore.

Really? We won't ever see the MARKETING folks from ANY of those firms at Indy in May? I have a nice crisp fiver that says you are wrong.

Gary

http://www.motorauthority.com/content/images/2/0/2010_chevrolet_camaro_indy_500_pace_car_main630-0228.jpg

http://www.gotbroken.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/2008-chevrolet-corvette-indy-500-pace-cars-front-side-view-588x441.jpg

garyshell
15th July 2009, 15:55
By your standard, the Honda badged car running in the IRL today has no connection to any past or present production car (or truck) either.

At least Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota actually produce V8 powered vehicles that you can go out and buy today. Honda has never offered the world a V8 powered car (or truck).

Never suggested otherwise. Note that the IRL doesn't call it self a "stock car" series either.

But no, NASCAR is no longer 'stock cars'. But who really wants to watch 3 V6 FWD car's (and 1 RWD) run around in circles at 150mph?

I would, or at least like to see NASCAR stop calling itself a "stock car" series. The template era was bad enough, but this whole COT is a bad joke. It is a sham to call those things Chevy's, Fords or Dodges. My uncle must be spinning in his grave.

The only thing close to a professional stock car series is some of the sports car classes under GrandAM and ALMS.

Gary

Lee Roy
15th July 2009, 17:07
The only thing close to a professional stock car series is some of the sports car classes under GrandAM and ALMS.

Gary

You forgot to add: "In my opinion".

Chris R
15th July 2009, 17:42
B

It can't be much worse than what they have now I see little real entertainment value in the "cookie cutter" NASCAR tracks.... Bristol is generally entertaining and they are pretty "slow" there...

garyshell
15th July 2009, 17:47
I would, or at least like to see NASCAR stop calling itself a "stock car" series. The template era was bad enough, but this whole COT is a bad joke. It is a sham to call those things Chevy's, Fords or Dodges. My uncle must be spinning in his grave.

Gary

To use your phrase, BFD. What in YOUR opinion is an example of a professional series these days that actually runs something akin to a "stock car"?

Gary

Lee Roy
15th July 2009, 17:56
To use your phrase, BFD. What in YOUR opinion is an example of a professional series these days that actually runs something akin to a "stock car"?

Gary

"akin" is a relative term.

I think NASCAR fully fits the bill. YMMV

garyshell
15th July 2009, 18:04

Gary

"akin" is a relative term.

I think NASCAR fully fits the bill. YMMV

Yep NASCAR is akin to a "stock car" alright, sort of like my third cousin's ex-wife's brother's mother-in-law's stepson's great great grandmother is akin to me.

Gary

Chris R
15th July 2009, 19:08
while there is no doubt the is nothing stock about a NASCAR - it is generally accepted as "stock car racing" - aka "touring cars" in europe - not like you'd "tour" in an Audi DTM car...

"stock car" has become a generic term for "fendered oval track racing in the United States" - it has lost all reference to actually being something you buy for street use (for better or for worse...) and most of us know and accept that NASCAR and its cars are only about entertainment and does nothing significant to "improve the breed" so to speak... For that matter, as much as I like racing - there is not much bleed over of technology to street cars from any series these days.....

gerkebi
15th July 2009, 19:24
I watch F1 when it is on Speed at 7.30 AM on
sunday because I have time.

Exactly! I loved the Sunday morning F1 races. Can't wait til this stupid Fox SDD deal is over. By Sunday afternoon, I'm out of the house doing something away from the TV. The last place I want to be on a beautiful Ohio summer afternoon weekend is in front of the TV.

Chris R
15th July 2009, 19:36
Exactly! I loved the Sunday morning F1 races. Can't wait til this stupid Fox SDD deal is over. By Sunday afternoon, I'm out of the house doing something away from the TV. The last place I want to be on a beautiful Ohio summer afternoon weekend is in front of the TV.

Thats right!!

grungex
16th July 2009, 04:55

Really? What, exactly, is stock about a cup car? Anything. At all.

ACTF_ZETT
21st July 2009, 19:19
I find it hilarious that repeatedly NASCAR fans find it necessary to try to "take over" the Indianapolis 500. I do watch NASCAR and consider myself a NASCAR fan, however I am first and foremost a fan of the Indianapolis 500.

In no way should IRL move the Indy 500 to convenience NASCAR. NASCAR is doing fine on its own, but I am sorry, no matter what they do, they will never have the greatest race on earth. Its funny how that is always an issue. (And please dont bring up the argument that Daytona 500 is a better race, we have been there and it never ends well for Florida)

The Coca Cola 600 can try as hard as they want to try to top the Indy 500 in every way, which statistically they do.. but it will never be a better race. 600 miles instead of 500, I think the Coca Cola 600 pre-race show is now like 2 hours long.... they add something new to the pre-race rotation every year, but it doesnt matter. Nothing compares to the 30 minutes before gentlemen starts your engines at IMS in May. Charlotte can go ahead and give the entire crowd a set of bagpipes to play amazing grace before the race, it wont matter.

Whoever suggested running the Indy 500 under the lights.... yeah it sounds cool, but it should stay right where it is at, as a daytime event.

nigelred5
22nd July 2009, 00:08

x3. I'm long gone by 1:00 pm sunday. I love getting up and watching the races in relative peace while the family sleeps.

nigelred5
22nd July 2009, 00:14
Personally, in the true sense of the word, I'd look at something like the Koni Challenge or Speed World Challenge cars for something more "AKIN" to professional STOCK car racing. They remain production based chassis right down to the dash board in most of them.

I think the SWC info they provide is a good blueprint of what "STOCK" car racing SHOULD be. a moderately modified production based racing car.

http://www.world-challenge.com/series.php?page=carfacts

STOCK cars has become a generic label for full fendered oval track racing

DirtDevil5
22nd July 2009, 03:36

+1

NASCA would have to move thier race to Monday,,
Indy needs to bump thier race start back to 12:00 noon anyway...
& allow qualifying adjustments for in cooperation with NASAR & IRL,,
and we all know none of any of this will ever happen

Long live the slow death of the IRL/I500

Long live the 'VISION'

PA Rick
3rd August 2009, 05:24
and most of us know and accept that NASCAR and its cars are only about entertainment and does nothing significant to "improve the breed" so to speak... For that matter, as much as I like racing - there is not much bleed over of technology to street cars from any series these days.....
KERS in F1 may be something that will help "improve the breed."

The instant classic
3rd August 2009, 06:07
if indycar wants to break tradtion why not make the indy 500, the first race of the year?
for myself i'm tierd of watching the indy 500 and knowing whos gonna win before it happens, it's the 5th race in and by that time one driver has made himself "the man to beat" Dixson in 08 i could have told you 3 races in, Dixson will win indy,
like i said if indycar wants to break tradtion, nascar first race is the daytona 500, why not indycar first race be the indy 500?

nigelred5
3rd August 2009, 14:08
if indycar wants to break tradtion why not make the indy 500, the first race of the year?
for myself i'm tierd of watching the indy 500 and knowing whos gonna win before it happens, it's the 5th race in and by that time one driver has made himself "the man to beat" Dixson in 08 i could have told you 3 races in, Dixson will win indy,
like i said if indycar wants to break tradtion, nascar first race is the daytona 500, why not indycar first race be the indy 500?

Well, they more or less tried that with the 500 actually being the final race of the first season of the IRL. It's often cold enough as it is in Daytona in February. Are you going to hold the Indy 500 in March in Indiana?? If you keep it on memorial Day weekend, How many races are you gonna have?

Not starting the season until the end of May would be suicide from a ratings standpoint, though I could finally make sense of spending an entire month of testing and practicing. They could even alternate oval/road course days and get in some road course testing. but not holding the first race until the end of May??

It's pretty much a given that racing ratings and attendance suck once college and pro football season starts, and that whole over the winter season experiment fell flat on it's face.

PA Rick
3rd August 2009, 15:11
.....?

Why don't they really break tradition and have the Indy 500 in Brazil?
Seriously, maybe the 500 should be the first oval. Spring and fall street and road, summer is ovals. The glen and Mid Ohio used to be in September (and sometimes October for the Glen) Long Beach and Brazil and Barber and St Pete are best in the spring

The instant classic
3rd August 2009, 20:30
Well, they more or less tried that with the 500 actually being the final race of the first season of the IRL. It's often cold enough as it is in Daytona in February. Are you going to hold the Indy 500 in March in Indiana?? If you keep it on memorial Day weekend, How many races are you gonna have?

Not starting the season until the end of May would be suicide from a ratings standpoint, though I could finally make sense of spending an entire month of testing and practicing. They could even alternate oval/road course days and get in some road course testing. but not holding the first race until the end of May??

It's pretty much a given that racing ratings and attendance suck once college and pro football season starts, and that whole over the winter season experiment fell flat on it's face.
i guess yr right i never did think of the cold part before,
starting the season at the end of may wolud kill the IRL i wolud never to think doing that one,
but for sure the IRL needs big name tracks for the first race of the season, not puting down road/street tracks but having them start the seaon maybe is'nt the best idea. i just wish the IRL could have the first race of the season be BIG, something with history, that gets you pump up for the season

The instant classic
3rd August 2009, 20:31
Why don't they really break tradition and have the Indy 500 in Brazil?
Seriously, maybe the 500 should be the first oval. Spring and fall street and road, summer is ovals. The glen and Mid Ohio used to be in September (and sometimes October for the Glen) Long Beach and Brazil and Barber and St Pete are best in the spring
the IRL seems to be going that way right now i find

NickFalzone
3rd August 2009, 22:43
I'm not a fan of starting in Brazil, honestly I think they should start the season on a nice big oval like Chicago or a classic street like Long Beach, but in its own way an exotic course in Brazil with lots of fanfare may play well on tv. It's also on eastern-time-zone so no middle of the night racing. I do find it somewhat ironic though that a series that prided itself on American ovals and American drivers is now kicking off 2010 with a field of mostly foreign drivers, on a foreign track, on a street circuit.

PA Rick
4th August 2009, 05:36
I'm not a fan of starting in Brazil, honestly I think they should start the season on a nice big oval like Chicago or a classic street like Long Beach, but in its own way an exotic course in Brazil with lots of fanfare may play well on tv. It's also on eastern-time-zone so no middle of the night racing. I do find it somewhat ironic though that a series that prided itself on American ovals and American drivers is now kicking off 2010 with a field of mostly foreign drivers, on a foreign track, on a street circuit.

February in Chicago would be a great time to race. Racing during the day, ice fishing at night. Blizzak's all around.

IMHO, I think they should have a week long "spring training" . Somewhere in the south with a banked oval and road course. Fans could take a week off after a long winter and enjoy a relaxed schedule. No official races, only short test sessions and maybe a few short dash races. Monday-Tues-wed, oval setups, Thursday put on the street package on the cars and reconfigure the track for the road course, and Fri-sat-sunday run the road configuration. Sounds like fun to me.

nigelred5
4th August 2009, 13:00
Wasn't that exactly what they used to do at Homestead in March and no one showed up? The problem is, even in early March, you have to get pretty far south to guarantee warm weather, and Homestead isn't exactly Spring Break central of south florida. Homestead is pretty dreadful to be honest. I always liked the idea of combining with the ALMS for the 12 hr race weekend at Sebring.

They went to Daytona but IMHO, what relevance does testing there on the Oval have to anywhere else they race? I've sat in the grandstands at Daytona and froze my a$$ off watching the bikes run in March.

Unfortunately, NASCAR has Vegas and Phoenix all tied up in the spring, apparently no one is willing to drive a few miles to Fontana to see anything, and many feel Longbeach and Phoenix are too close to being the same market for the limited number of open wheel fans left in the southwest to have more than one event out there in the spring.

IMHO, far too many people totally omit local weather conditions and the seasons from their thought proccess when considering when to race where. CART could never get it through it's head that it's cold and rainy in the Poconos in april. As we know, It finally snowed on them. I"ll never forget sitting in the clubhouse in florida awaiting the start of the race watching a snowball fight between the drivers on the infield. Thankfully, I got home in time to attend the re-scheduled race.

Mark in Oshawa
4th August 2009, 14:29

Remember...Tony was going to save Indy Car racing from the foreign hoards and allow the Tony's and Rick's driving Sprint and Midgets to come to an all oval Indy Car series. THAT Was the raison D'etre for the creation of the IRL, not a pure power grab. We know Tony George was NEVER about the power right? lol...

I am all for them starting anywhere to get Indy cars on TV in the late winter/early spring so NASCAR doesn't dominate the airwaves for racing. I think it is where the IRL missed the boat (and CART too). By not starting til April, people got their racing fix on NASCAR in February and are 6 or 7 races into that fix until Long Beach came along.

I would have to say Brazil wasn't my first choice, I was thinking Phoenix..but NASCAR now owns that date that the CART/IRL guys gave up. DUMB......

Back to the thread start tho. The Indy 500 should be on a Saturday. There is no reason to wait until Sunday. You qualified a week or two weeks ago. They have practiced themselves to death. It gives anyone wanting the double an opportunity, it gives people an extra day to get home, and gives you TWO rain dates Memorial Day weekend if you need them. There is no downside. As it was pointed out, there is no real tradition since the race used to be on Memorial Day proper, and it has been on Saturday's on occasion as well.

One thing is for sure. NASCAR aint moving their date. IT was Tony that moved the start time of the 500 LATER in the day to stop people doing the double. That Tony...what a marketing wizard he is.....