PDA

View Full Version : TV Coverage in the USA

Speedfreak69
10th July 2009, 20:01
Hi all,

I'm in San Francisco at the moment and I'd like to watch the German GP on Sunday. I know they show the race on Speed TV, but I don't have it in my hotel room. I also read something about FOX or FOX Sports, but I couldn't find anything on their websites. Does anyone know a channel that will show the race? Or is there even some online coverage like in Spain on La Sexta Deporte?

Thanks
B.

truefan72
10th July 2009, 20:29
its on fox nationwide at 3pm est on sunday

Speedfreak69
10th July 2009, 21:23
Ah thanks, so it's only taped.
Do they have shifted schedules for the different timezones (e.g. 6pm pst)? And it's fox and not fox sports, right?

call_me_andrew
11th July 2009, 03:15
I don't know about the time zone, but it's definitely Fox.

Valve Bounce
11th July 2009, 03:35
Hi all,

I'm in San Francisco at the moment and I'd like to watch the German GP on Sunday. I know they show the race on Speed TV, but I don't have it in my hotel room. I also read something about FOX or FOX Sports, but I couldn't find anything on their websites. Does anyone know a channel that will show the race? Or is there even some online coverage like in Spain on La Sexta Deporte?

Thanks
B.Turn up at pino's chat for quals, and ask around for a link. Tazio or Ozrevhead will probably help although there are other guys.

You can also use a split screen to also put the F1.com's live report which gives lap and sector times as well as positions of each car. Log on early and set things up well before quals or the race.

Enjoy.

Saint Devote
11th July 2009, 03:46
The utter outrage.

Its bad enough that Speed Channel most of the time is viewing for the mentally challenged but that we have to watch grands prix such as the British and German hours AFTER the event and without the pre-race and after race show is a disgrace.

Coverage in the United States is pretty poor. The commentators such as "Bob Varsha" and even David Hobbs who ought to know better fawn over Hamilton and Vettel, while they almost sound upset when Button or Webber do something.

God I HATE the coverage - but unfortunately the United States is somewhat backward when it comes to proper racing coverage that does not involve former unsuccessful f1 drivers or the taxi cabs aka nascar.

ykiki
11th July 2009, 04:49
Ah thanks, so it's only taped.
Do they have shifted schedules for the different timezones (e.g. 6pm pst)? And it's fox and not fox sports, right?

3 PM EDT is Noon PDT. Since you're in San Francisco, check the local Fox channel at Noon.

superocean
11th July 2009, 04:53
US coverage of F1 is pretty sad.
Try these to help you at 5am sunday morning if you are trying to watch the race live with F1's livetiming.

Justin.tv and look in motorsports section.
Axisofoversteer.blogspot.com

Tazio
11th July 2009, 05:56
Coverage in the United States is pretty poor. The commentators such as "Bob Varsha" and even David Hobbs who ought to know better fawn over Hamilton and Vettel, while they almost sound upset when Button or Webber do something.
Personally I like Hobbs! He adds some historical insight as well as comic relief.
Varsha is a decent commentator.
However I usually watch the BBC feed because there are fewer commercials, a lot fewer.
How can you complain about driver bias of Speedtv, when the BBC,
and ITV broadcasts are a droulfest over Lewis last year and Button this!

markabilly
11th July 2009, 20:07
its on fox nationwide at 3pm est on sunday

yeah, just don't get fooled like I was....Been watching a 36 mitis crt (1991 circa) for years, and with Fios, the picture is out of sight, but after much fussing and such, finally bought the latest model hi-def 63inch plasma sammy thro (the female warrior website) for a mere 2350 (with special coupon delivered to the house free)

Fantastic picture over the fiber optic--got all excited about it being on Fox and maybe seeing F1 in hi def---brit GP comes on, and there it is....but after i pointed out that the lighting conditions were terrible, drab and dreary, it was pointed out to me (right here on this forum) it was merely a fox upscale

then saw the seca motogp--again a world feed, and the quality again sucked even worse though it was upscaled,

Indeed, first time I have not been personally present.....anyway while gone, my sweet missus made vhs tapes of the past races, and she knew I was hurting, so she was being nice, walks in, says, "see you getting ready for the race watching those old VHS tapes.....they look okay on the new tv....."

Err no :mad:

(but the actual camera work was first class--and having seen some AMA races in hi def, well.......) meanwhile in high def, complete with sound was the irl waktins glen earleir in the day.....stunning by comparison (the images that is)

So here we be, with the world's two highest series, shown with VHS quality, scuzzy pictures....and before all you snobs jump me again, think of your general public as hi def and big screens dominate.

They turn on nascar, AMA races, IRL.....and then here comes the blurry upscale whatever, and they think gee, think i will watch something else.....

sponsors wanting to see their stuff well advertised via deacal on cars during the race....well maybe they need to slide over to nascar...... :rolleyes:

call_me_andrew
12th July 2009, 04:50
Its bad enough that Speed Channel most of the time is viewing for the mentally challenged but that we have to watch grands prix such as the British and German hours AFTER the event and without the pre-race and after race show is a disgrace.

I'm willing to bet most people would rather sleep in and watch tape delayed coverage than wake up extra early on a Sunday. This is especially important when you consider that more people have acess to Fox than Speed.

BobbyC
12th July 2009, 12:02
This directly relates to Speed's contract with Formula One Administration, which was written when the four races included two North American rounds, and FOM had looked at the idea of four North/South America rounds with live races. Unfortunately, when your own continent is ignored in favour of the resort exotics, then it messes with the original plan.

Bernie wants network television rounds, and historically that has been part of the plan. Traditionally Sunday morning is where broadcast network affiliates are under federal restrictions and/or the morning news pundit shows such as Chris Wallace on Fox.