PDA

View Full Version : Rally of Canberra

raybak
18th February 2007, 10:14
We'll be bringing out the turbo Charade GTTi for ROC this year. Won't be doing the whole ARC, just selected events such as Forster and Melbourne.

Had fun last year codriving and coming 3rd in the BP Privateers, this is the year to drive.

We will be supported by Jester's Pies and 4Kam Australia, with all fuels and lubricants by Shell, tyres by Dunlop. Also there will be major support from NSW Bearing Supplies.

So look out for the Red/White and Yellow Charade this year.

Ray

Jarek Z
19th February 2007, 09:23
Well, good luck on the stages Ray!

Rally of Canberra seems to be a beautiful event. Just take a look at the photos from 2004:
http://www.rallyonline.pl/g.php?1&pg_[desc]=+DESC&pg_[ex_path]=412&modex=pokaz&T[id]=1900

raybak
19th February 2007, 10:46
2004 was the last year that I drove at ROC, last year i codrove.

It was a very dusty event as you can tell from those photos. Might be different this year as it's being held in Winter. Still no trees though.

Ray

Fleur
25th February 2007, 23:03
Ray, Jesters Pies huh?
Does that mean your tent is the place to eat in the service park???
Good luck with the driving this year. Keep us all posted!!!

GigiGalliNo1
28th February 2007, 02:07
Ray - Jesters? I'm deffinatly there!! mmmmmm....... :p :D Still a place for me to crash and perhaps organize me as your official photographer and *media accreditation? :p

:)

/// a t t

milly
7th March 2007, 12:51
EXCLUSIVE: One of Australia’s most heralded events, the Rally of Canberra, faces an uncertain future with the ACT Government currently in discussions with CAMS to try and break out of a contract to run the event, which doesn’t expire until the end of 2008.

The event currently forms part of the Australian Rally Championship and the Asia Pacific Rally Championship and brings hundreds of thousands of dollars into the ACT every year, but the Government want out.

Although they have agreed to support the event in 2007 – albeit with a smaller budget than in 2006 – the ACT Government are adamant that they won’t run the rally in 2008, and are currently negotiating the contract with CAMS.

RallySport Magazine sources with inside knowledge into the runnings of the event have confirmed that, at the present time, the event has no sponsors, and although the event will run in June, it will be a very low-key, low-budget affair.

This year will be the 20th running of the Rally of Canberra, which has had a number of naming rights sponsors in that time, including the Esanda and FAI finance companies, and Subaru.

“I think that the Australian rallying public need to put their support right behind this year’s event,” RallySport Magazine’s source said today.

“The event is in serious danger of becoming extinct and I urge all Australian rallying fans to contact the ACT Minister for Tourism, Andrew Barr, and push for the Government’s continuation of their support.”

As well as being a round of the ARC and the APRC, it has been rumoured that the event also has the chance of becoming a round of the new Intercontinental Rally Challenge in years to come. The IRC series is based around the all-new Super 2000 category.

RallySport Magazine urges everyone to send your message of support for the Rally of Canberra to the ACT Minister for Tourism at: andrew.barr@act.gov.au (andrew.barr@act.gov.au)

raybak
8th March 2007, 00:30
It's been a rumour for quite a while now that the ACT government wants to break the contract. They did manage that with the V8 race. It seems that the June date will make an even bigger difference to the amount of spectators, another nail in the coffin.

Maybe we should turn NatCap into our premiere event and run it as a round of the ARC.

There is plenty happenign behind the scenes in Canberra just to get the use of our forests, we are losing stages each year due to areas being banned to rallying. We have already lost the catchment area for the Cotter, such stages as Wark's Rd and Bullock Paddock Rd are lost. Also my favourite Champagnes is lost as well.

We will just have to keep lobbying the government, or get them kicked out at the next election, I might even be a candidate "watch this space"

Ray

TKM Jnr
24th March 2007, 08:26
I'll be there driving on my L's if everything falls into place nicely

Fleur
26th March 2007, 08:17
TKM, what will you be driving?

raybak
26th March 2007, 09:20
He'll be in an Subaru RX turbo. Seeded way down the back near me :)

Ray

Fleur
28th March 2007, 06:17
Okay, will watch out for him. Not bad cars the RX's. A bit twitchy in the rear end, which makes for a lot of fun!!!!

raybak
28th March 2007, 13:12
Fleur are you coming over for ROC?

Going to be a good rally this year with the night stage in Bluetts. We will be running the full length of the back straight at night in Bluetts, should be interesting.

Have just found out the Peter Kobold is going to be running his Falcon Ute with the mega 351ci V8. Sideways all the way.

Ray

Fleur
29th March 2007, 05:49
Yes, Brian and I will be there. YAY!
I will be stopping by your service area, Ray, for some JESTERS!!!!

raybak
12th April 2007, 13:04
Mega Team now with 2 Charades a Civic and a VR4. We will have an awesome service setup with Russell Dixons Civic, Matt B's Charade, my Charade and Peter Jerie's VR4.

Peter still looking for a nav for the event as his usual nav is driving(me).

Ray

Livewireshock
17th April 2007, 03:18
Gee whiz Ray, really going to make my sing for my supper with all of those cars one being all together. LOL

Livewireshock
17th April 2007, 03:19
Gee whiz Ray, you're really going to make me sing for my supper this time with all those cars being all together. LOL

raybak
5th May 2007, 08:02
Charade is all back together now, spent the whole day on it. It will be going into the Carco workshop early in the week to haev whole new exhaust from turbo right back. Also Carco will be doing a full rally prep so car should be in tip top condition for ROC.

Just need some practice now, took the recce car out for a few km's of dirt last weekend and i was a bit rusty.

Anyway, heading away for a week then Lithgow this coming Saturday in the EVO 6.

Ray

GigiGalliNo1
5th May 2007, 18:09
Mega Team now with 2 Charades a Civic and a VR4. We will have an awesome service setup with Russell Dixons Civic, Matt B's Charade, my Charade and Peter Jerie's VR4.

Peter still looking for a nav for the event as his usual nav is driving(me).

Ray

Please tell me he's still looking for a co-driver?!

TKM Jnr
9th May 2007, 22:52
Nope I'm in the Nav seat with Pete again. Last time I navved we lead outright (untill we blew a hole in the Dog box) ended up finishing in 3rd outright anyway.

raybak
23rd May 2007, 09:44
We have been seeded car 47 with two WRX's behind us. Should be a good event with a reasonable sized field.

Got the car back today from Carco and it's in top condition, all we have to do is get rego on Monday and all's good.

Testing on Saturday all day will iron out a few bugs as well.

Ray

Livewireshock
23rd May 2007, 12:21
We have been seeded car 47 with two WRX's behind us. Should be a good event with a reasonable sized field.

Got the car back today from Carco and it's in top condition, all we have to do is get rego on Monday and all's good.

Testing on Saturday all day will iron out a few bugs as well.

Ray

So plenty of time to have the kettle on, awaiting your return at service. Ready for anything that can occur from those 'bugs'.

;)

raybak
23rd May 2007, 15:31
We are servicing now with Peter Jerie and also with Peter Kobold. So a three car setup with camper trailer, service truck etc. Should be a good setup.

So Mr Livewireshcok, you only have to worry about the Charade and maybe Peter Kobolds Falcon V8 Ute.

Ray

Livewireshock
24th May 2007, 06:22
We are servicing now with Peter Jerie and also with Peter Kobold. So a three car setup with camper trailer, service truck etc. Should be a good setup.

So Mr Livewireshcok, you only have to worry about the Charade and maybe Peter Kobolds Falcon V8 Ute.

Ray

I am not too worried about what I have to do, just as long as the beer is cold & the food is on time. Will be a happy pig in muck surrounded by fast cars covered in dirt & with the serenity of turbos crackling around the service park. A very poetic scene.

TKM
24th May 2007, 07:41
With Tristan now navving for Pete, I guess I'll be servicing also.

raybak
27th May 2007, 13:10
Car is all ready for rego, fingers are crossed that we will get through.

Did heaps of testing yesterday, picked up a lot of speed and found a few issues with car that are now fixed.

Ray

raybak
28th May 2007, 07:19
Got through rego no worries.

Lucky Tristan isn't driving after he parked the Subaru sideways between some trees yesterday.

Ray

raybak
28th May 2007, 10:32
Seems a few of the top teams are having a whinge about running at night. Poor sods usually only get to rally during the day!!!

We'll have our normal light pod setup on the car.

Organisers are expecting a large spectator turnout for Friday night as spectating is free.

Ray

ke55rally
30th May 2007, 10:23
I think half the stage commanders and teams will be out there doing "road closures." I know it will be the only rally action I'll see this weekend.

Good luck ray I'll see you on recce tomorrow!

Pat

raybak
30th May 2007, 21:27
Heading off to do Recce now. Nice bit of rain the other night means the stages should be good.

Ray

raybak
3rd June 2007, 16:13
We didn't finish last, had a bit of a barrell roll on Saturday that set us back a bit, but thanks to the guys at Carco we rebuilt the car and finished on Sunday with 24th outright and 1st P3 in the ARC.

Peter Jerie got play of the day on Channel 10 with his effort over the Mineshaft. Will post You Tube vids when available. Suffering from severe intoxication brought on by Mr Livewireshock and the ACT government.

Ray, hic

COD
3rd June 2007, 22:02
Suffering from severe intoxication brought on by Mr Livewireshock and the ACT government.

Ray, hic

Takin part in a rally often result a hangover. Should the reasons be investigated by scientists?

raybak
3rd June 2007, 22:41
I think the scientists would come up with the same answer, too many fluids late at night after a rally!!!

Ray