PDA

View Full Version : JV in F1 by 2010?

gloomyDAY
8th July 2009, 06:24
He is too fat! (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76760) :D

Other then that poignant fact, he does make a lot of sense. The driver is now becoming a more important factor in the car, drivers are spineless media cronies, and for the most part fans are beginning to find the whole mess a little boring.

If he does get into F1, then this site is going to explode!

AJP
8th July 2009, 06:31
Another sites report

http://sportal.com.au/motorsport-news-display/villeneuves-f1-return-73598

CNR
8th July 2009, 08:19
maybe as a usgp's test driver
has he won a race of any sort in the last 3 years ?

Dave B
8th July 2009, 08:51
God loves a tryer, bless him. Won't happen though, unless a team prefers his PR value over his ability. Mind you, he sounds a perfect fit for USGP: all bluster and no hope.

Sonic
8th July 2009, 08:55
I always liked JV, he was fearless, outspoken and harked back to an earlier generation of driver. His early BAR days although delivered no results saw some impressive drives (barcellona I think he ran well before engine failure) but his last seasons at renault and later BMW were embarrasing.

He says that experienced drivers are now in demand. Couldn't agree more - which is why a has been driver with no F1 seat in 3 years isn't going to help any team in other way than making headlines for some remark or another.

markabilly
8th July 2009, 09:24
I want a driver seat in F1 in 2010....and i have more qualifications because i been out of F1 longer than he has....

Sonic
8th July 2009, 11:03
I want a driver seat in F1 in 2010....and i have more qualifications because i been out of F1 longer than he has....

LMAO! :D

555-04Q2
8th July 2009, 11:08
FFS. Start the next race already please.

P.S. JV is a tool :down:

Bagwan
8th July 2009, 12:51
Yeah , it would freak all you guys out , wouldn't it ?

I won't be surprised , though , as JV has shown he has the skills to feed back what the car is doing .
Whether it's USF1 or BrawnGP(incidentally , his hosts at Silverstone) , he will be an asset , without testing .

Make no mistake . He racing fit , not fat . That's no issue .

gloomyDAY
8th July 2009, 15:24
Make no mistake . He racing fit , not fat . That's no issue .Then he is too old. :p

Bagwan
8th July 2009, 15:32
Then he is too old. :p

He's "old school" , not too old .

UltimateDanGTR
8th July 2009, 17:17
ever since Jv won his nice little world title in 1997, he has become more and more of a joke. Now he has pretty much nowhere to go, he's too old in my view, and has lost his talent and skill that he once had (quite unbelievably, he did!)

I hope the best for him though, poor guy.

Bagwan
8th July 2009, 17:51
ever since Jv won his nice little world title in 1997, he has become more and more of a joke. Now he has pretty much nowhere to go, he's too old in my view, and has lost his talent and skill that he once had (quite unbelievably, he did!)

I hope the best for him though, poor guy.

Why did you bother with that post ?

You demean his WDC status and call him a joke .
You call him too old , with no talent he had .

You slag him hard and then wish the best for him ?
Don't you find that a trifle ironic ?

And , by the way , he's not poor either .

8th July 2009, 20:34
There is something sad about a sportsman who doesn't know when to stop.

UltimateDanGTR
8th July 2009, 20:53
Why did you bother with that post ?

You demean his WDC status and call him a joke .
You call him too old , with no talent he had .

You slag him hard and then wish the best for him ?
Don't you find that a trifle ironic ?

And , by the way , he's not poor either .

he was once champion, he had talent, no question. then he got in more rubbish cars, and his talent wayned, and thisonce world champion found himself more and more average, and by the time he got a good car again it was too late for him-he'd aged, his rubbish cars had ran him down, and he couldnt keep up with a team mate that had never won a gp. basically, his speed had been drained out of him by average cars hed driven for the last 7-8 years of his F1 career. thats why he was is a joke, this guy with so much speed burst onto the F1 scene from america, immediatly encaptulating everyone, yet by the end found himself being beaten by team mates in average cars.

then he tried nascar, but he failed in that like most open-wheel drivers, he was one of many open-wheel driver failures in nascar, so no real biggy, although it did hurt his rep a bit.

If he had gone back to america or something 9-10 years ago, goodness knows how respected he still could be.

I think you misunderstood my post Bagwan.I wasnt 'slagging him hard' I was simply saying that his situation led him to deteriorate as a driver, and thats why hes too old now, he spent too much time in F1 chasing peanuts.

shame. he could be so much more by now. unfortunatly not.

oh, and i knwo hes not poor in money sense, :rolleyes: you know what I meant.

although, at least Bagwan you defended your supported driver and countryman hard, i understand that.

That could be me in a few years. My favourite driver, Lewis Hamilton, burst onto the scene, champ by his 2nd season, 3rd season in a lame car. sound familiar? I hope lewis doesnt go the same way........

Jaqcues' last ten years have been wasted talent. a missed oppurtunity. and now from what I see, hes lost a bit of that talent.

so unfortunate. lets all blame it on BAR.

8th July 2009, 21:13
Why is he bothering? There is not going to a F1 season next year

N. Jones
8th July 2009, 21:23
Would a team actually take a chance with him? My guess is only the three news teams would be in play for his services, correct?

Valve Bounce
9th July 2009, 01:16

Other then that poignant fact, he does make a lot of sense. The driver is now becoming a more important factor in the car, drivers are spineless media cronies, and for the most part fans are beginning to find the whole mess a little boring.

Well, if he drinks at least six cups of coffee to upgrade his caffeine intake, it might work.

Check this out: http://prorev.com/2009/07/caffeine-found-to-stave-off-and-treat.html

Easy Drifter
9th July 2009, 02:30
Thunderbolt: Last win 2008 LMS Spa 24 hr. Peugeot.

Valve Bounce
9th July 2009, 02:48

Well, that will wake some of the somnolent types here. :eek:

Bagwan
9th July 2009, 03:54
he was once champion, he had talent, no question. then he got in more rubbish cars, and his talent wayned, and thisonce world champion found himself more and more average, and by the time he got a good car again it was too late for him-he'd aged, his rubbish cars had ran him down, and he couldnt keep up with a team mate that had never won a gp. basically, his speed had been drained out of him by average cars hed driven for the last 7-8 years of his F1 career. thats why he was is a joke, this guy with so much speed burst onto the F1 scene from america, immediatly encaptulating everyone, yet by the end found himself being beaten by team mates in average cars.

then he tried nascar, but he failed in that like most open-wheel drivers, he was one of many open-wheel driver failures in nascar, so no real biggy, although it did hurt his rep a bit.

If he had gone back to america or something 9-10 years ago, goodness knows how respected he still could be.

I think you misunderstood my post Bagwan.I wasnt 'slagging him hard' I was simply saying that his situation led him to deteriorate as a driver, and thats why hes too old now, he spent too much time in F1 chasing peanuts.

shame. he could be so much more by now. unfortunatly not.

oh, and i knwo hes not poor in money sense, :rolleyes: you know what I meant.

although, at least Bagwan you defended your supported driver and countryman hard, i understand that.

That could be me in a few years. My favourite driver, Lewis Hamilton, burst onto the scene, champ by his 2nd season, 3rd season in a lame car. sound familiar? I hope lewis doesnt go the same way........

Jaqcues' last ten years have been wasted talent. a missed oppurtunity. and now from what I see, hes lost a bit of that talent.

so unfortunate. lets all blame it on BAR.

Dan , you haven't been around long enough to have seen how hard I will defend Jacques .
You respect the speed he had .
I respect the speed he still has .

Being a Lewis fan is no picnic these days , I'm sure .

In my opinion , the big difference between the two is not in speed .
It is in feedback .
Lewis entered in a time when the technician and his computer had taken over .
Jacques entered when these machines were just entering the picture .
He won his title , despite fighting for his preference for the whole year with Patrick Head , who criticized him widely for it , despite hoisting the cup .
He had to do something , after the next year was burned with under-powered Mechachrome and Supertech motors , and BAR was born .

Frank words about the poor design put his technical director on the other side of the garage , and again he had to fight with his team who didn't believe he could feel the car as finely as thier computers .

He was allowed to stiffen the car , and it immediately went faster .
Had they spent the time to listen , they might have gone somewhere .

I won't go through the whole history , but , a few notes about recent times might cast a different light as well .
When he went over to the truck series in the states , they were immediately impressed with the feedback , and the fearless speed , taking it right to the wall .
He almost won the single Nationwide race in Montreal , but for the fact that his team didn't have a windshield wiper to put on his car for the pouring rain .
He ran Spa , and won in the Peugeot , and came second in the LeMans race .

His forte is development , and that is what is needed right now .

I'd love to see him at BrawnGP , because I don't feel he had a fair chance at Button the last time they drove together .
He'd take Rubens seat for free , I'm sure . And , sponsors would follow , in that scenario .

Call it the re-match of the century .
They may both be WDCs by next year , and a tytannic battle would ensue , to be sure .

Valve Bounce
9th July 2009, 04:00
Dan , you haven't been around long enough to have seen how hard I will defend Jacques .
You respect the speed he had .
I respect the speed he still has .

If this is a spirited defense, wait till fousto gets here. :(

Easy Drifter
9th July 2009, 04:25
JV was good and probably still is. Trouble is I saw a lot of Gilles and JV was nowhere as good. Gilles was incredible and could make a car do things it wasn't capable of doing.
JV is racing this weekend in the Cdn. Tire NASCAR series on a short trck in Quebec.
He will also be in the Nationwide series race in Mtl. next month.

Roamy
9th July 2009, 06:07
Well I can say that FAngio drove into his 50's. You naysayers don't know sh!t you can barely drive to the store and back. Hey maybe it won't work but lets see a test or two. He developed that Sauber and now Gaysien can't find his ass with both hands. Same happened when he left Barf. Ask Jock Clear he is the one with the credentials and is tell JV to get back in!

Valve Bounce
9th July 2009, 06:18
Well I can say that FAngio drove into his 50's. You naysayers don't know sh!t you can barely drive to the store and back. Hey maybe it won't work but lets see a test or two. He developed that Sauber and now Gaysien can't find his ass with both hands. Same happened when he left Barf. Ask Jock Clear he is the one with the credentials and is tell JV to get back in!

I'm with you fousto!! just make sure Jacques gets plenty of Espresso.

Roamy
9th July 2009, 06:26
:p we will inject it if we have to

pino
9th July 2009, 07:37
If the arrival of Jacques will make fousto to post a little more in here...welcome to JV then :crazy: :p :

superocean
9th July 2009, 07:42
I'd say sure Bring JV back to F1. He'll be great and I'd love to hear what he has to say about the drivers and comments during the race. SpeedTV could use a good younger commentator to work with their trio. You didn't mean bring him back to drive did you? HAHAHA you serious? Thanks for the laughs.

Garry Walker
9th July 2009, 13:52
JV was good and probably still is. Trouble is I saw a lot of Gilles and JV was nowhere as good. Gilles was incredible and could make a car do things it wasn't capable of doing.

No driver can do more than the car allows him to.

Villeneuve back in f1? I pity his fans in that case, it would be a very embarrassing situation for them and for JV

D28
9th July 2009, 15:05
I have always supported JV mostly because Canadian F1 chargers are a rare commodity, and all named Villeneuve. I believe his best move at this stage was with Peugeot and the LMS cars. He is the last person around with a chance of matching the Graham Hill triple. I don't know exactly why the Peugeot deal fell through. If he does return to F1 I wish him well. If not, he still has an impressive F1 record, including a lot of rookie records owned or shared with Lewis Hamilton.

Pitflaps
9th July 2009, 15:59
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......

Roamy
9th July 2009, 16:18
If the arrival of Jacques will make fousto to post a little more in here...welcome to JV then :crazy: :p :

Yea but I may get banned a couple of times if he does well - educating some of these youngsters on driving without a computer :p

Easy Drifter
9th July 2009, 17:08
Gary: Did you ever see Gilles drive? I did, many times.There were other drivers who could do the impossible including Moss and Fangio.
They and some others (Senna) could pick a car up by the scruff of it's neck and make it go faster than it seemed possible. Not always but on certain days they were in a different realm. Ask Jody or Keke about Gilles.
With today's cars and all the electronics it probably isn't possible.

Bagwan
9th July 2009, 17:23
Drifter , it seems to me , from some of the stories of Gilles , that he was as passionate as anyone could be , but could usually channel that passion into a faster place , where the walls go by slower .
Upset the stream , and they would scream .
For example , when Gilles couldn't accept the team saying the wheel could not simply be put back on , because there was no suspension to support it .

Jacques was always more controlled in his approach , but just as passionate , and perhaps even more adept at set-up than Senna , if you listen to Clear .
It makes me wonder , since he's got this rep for being a whiner , that he shouldn't have spoken up even louder , and told the real story , instead of keeping the fights in the back room .

N. Jones
9th July 2009, 17:41
When JV came back in '04 I remember all of his camera time while watching Speed. He was always very honest and that included the times when he blamed himself.
I don't have a problem if he comes back.

Easy Drifter
9th July 2009, 17:53
I only knew JV as a child and racing on TV.
Gilles in full flight was in a different world. Going through the Arch Duplessis at Trois Rivieres completely sideways with just inches on each side (actually nose to tail) lap after lap. Winning the Spanish GP with 7 faster cars behind unable to pass, despite them taking turns at trying. The famous duel with Arnoux in the far faster Renault and beating him on sheer driving and guts.
The Glen in the rain. Jody was 2nd fastest to Gilles, by 11 seconds! If you know the Glen 11 seconds is a lifetime.

PS Sorry for mispelling your name Garry.

Roamy
9th July 2009, 18:10
Jody said "I don't even understand how he can drive a car that fast"

Valve Bounce
10th July 2009, 00:56
I have a Rothman's cap autographed by Jacques. :)

Rollo
10th July 2009, 03:10
God loves a tryer

Why, does He have a car? :D

JV did finish second in the 2008 Le Mans, which it must be said probably puts more strain on a driver than a 2hr GP. The question of whether he'd be much chop basically comes down to how much motivation he can push himself with.

Damon Hill was 36 when he won his WDC and 39 when he drove for Jordan which is older than JV is now. I don't necessarily see age as being a hindrance, but at some point most racing drivers realise that they're past it... JV?

Valve Bounce
10th July 2009, 04:53
Why, does He have a car? :D

JV did finish second in the 2008 Le Mans, which it must be said probably puts more strain on a driver than a 2hr GP. The question of whether he'd be much chop basically comes down to how much motivation he can push himself with.

Damon Hill was 36 when he won his WDC and 39 when he drove for Jordan which is older than JV is now. I don't necessarily see age as being a hindrance, but at some point most racing drivers realise that they're past it... JV?

The point here is does Jacques have the form to drive an F1 car? If he was able to test drive the car extensively over the Northern winter, he may regain the form. It's like someone leaving the AFL to play soccer for 5 years and then suddenly being called up to play in the AFL again. To drive in F1 these days, he would have to regain his fitness and be used to the G forces when racing an F1 car, he also has to be able to regain his touch for going fast at extraordinary speeds around corners.

Personally, I hope he does make a successful comeback.

ShiftingGears
10th July 2009, 10:22
If he ends up back in F1 (which he won't) I'm sure many of JV's fans will blame his lack of performance on either the team principal, car or engineers as they have ever since he stopped having the best car on the grid, and evidently stopped winning.

And any good results that the team will have within five years of JV leaving will be accredited to JV's development work, by several of his fans here.

Ranger
10th July 2009, 10:31
Damon Hill was ... 39 when he drove for Jordan which is older than JV is now.

And that episode should be a lesson to anyone, unfortunately.

jens
10th July 2009, 16:04
Not again! :dozey:

JV was a very good driver in his prime and I was especially impressed with his 1999-2000 seasons, when he performed like a real top driver... But come on, already his comeback in 2004 turned out to be quite difficult - I don't dare to think, what would happen in 2010 then!

When talking about JV's comeback, I suppose in this case drivers like Frentzen, Panis, Irvine and Salo should all consider a comeback too. :p :

UltimateDanGTR
10th July 2009, 17:53
Bagwan: Your earlier mile long post,

You make a very fair case for Jacques there, and I see why his experience and technical experience and know how could be very valueble.

but I cant see him going to brawn though, although it would vertainly be interesting to see it!

Bagwan
10th July 2009, 18:59
Bagwan: Your earlier mile long post,

You make a very fair case for Jacques there, and I see why his experience and technical experience and know how could be very valueble.

but I cant see him going to brawn though, although it would vertainly be interesting to see it!

I'd try to keep it short , Dan , but ultimately (sorry , couldn't resist) , it turns into a novel , as the story ran far deeper than the press widely reported .

It is Jock Clear who gives the story credence , as it was he who has put the idea back in Jacques's head .
The reality of today came forward in the in-car talk between Rubens and Jock , in fact , when Rubens asked if Clear had any idea what to do to fix the car .
I read in another thread that James Allen had heard a rumour putting Rubens in at Williams , so the seat might be open . As Nico has been rumbling on about needing more , it seems to fit .
Though not showing he has a grip on the grip , Rubens does have current knowledge of a top team and might be useful for a team on a low budget like Williams .

I am sure JV would do it for a song , which he could provide , himself , if necessary .

Another possibilty is wherever Willis ends up . He was instrumental in getting Willis into BAR Honda , and there could be some attachment there , too .

On the rare occasions that we all aren't talking about the FIA/FOTA battle , all we hear about are whines about lack of testing .

A car developer is the answer . His name is Jacques .

jens
10th July 2009, 19:10
I'm sorry, but with the testing ban driver input counts less than ever before in car development. Brawn GP brought their new totally untested car onto the track in March and was quickest straightaway. So Jenson and Rubens had nothing to do with the successful development of the car, especially as the new car was designed with a clean sheet of paper, not as an evolution from 2008.

Hiring JV just for the need of 'car development' isn't a strong argument, I'm afraid.

10th July 2009, 21:46
Hiring JV just for the need of 'car development' isn't a strong argument, I'm afraid.

Especially as, despite what his fans say, he is crap at it.

Sleeper
10th July 2009, 23:58
Its interesting to see people point out JV's second place at Le Mans last year and the Spa 1000 win,as Peugeot droped him for this year because he was the slowest of the 9 drivers and only won at Spa because the only two other challengers crashed into each other.

JV used to be great, but if he cant cut it at the top level in Sportscars then F1 is definitely a step too far.

Valve Bounce
11th July 2009, 03:41
I read in another thread that James Allen had heard a rumour putting Rubens in at Williams , so the seat might be open . As Nico has been rumbling on about needing more , it seems to fit .

I'm not even sure whether James Allen can count past 5, let alone spell Williams. But I do know that Frank has his engines delivered by trucks carrying Naka on their sides, if you get my drift.

Sonic
11th July 2009, 12:30
I'm not even sure whether James Allen can count past 5, let alone spell Williams. But I do know that Frank has his engines delivered by trucks carrying Naka on their sides, if you get my drift.

Much as I loathed Allen on TV, he knows his stuff so perhaps their is something to it.

Naka and Rubens at Williams next year wouldn't be soooo bad.

ClarkFan
12th July 2009, 18:40

Damon started later, though; he didn't have a first-tier Grand Prix drive until 33, while JV was 24. I suspect that years in F1 are like dog years in that they age you faster.

And although Damon won Jordan's first race at 38, by 39 he had lost the fire. After one race, he joked that at the starte he hadn't seen why everyone else was in such a hurry.

ClarkFan

ClarkFan
12th July 2009, 18:41
Much as I loathed Allen on TV, he knows his stuff so perhaps their is something to it.

Probably mark the end of Williams, after years of lingering. :(

ClarkFan

Garry Walker
15th July 2009, 16:24
Gary: Did you ever see Gilles drive? I did, many times.There were other drivers who could do the impossible including Moss and Fangio.
You cannot do the impossible. If you do something, then by definition that thing is possible.

They and some others (Senna) could pick a car up by the scruff of it's neck and make it go faster than it seemed possible. Not always but on certain days they were in a different realm. Ask Jody or Keke about Gilles.
With today's cars and all the electronics it probably isn't possible.

There has never been a case of going faster than the car can go. It is impossible, always has been and always will be.

Just that some drivers are closer to limit than others.

The Glen in the rain. Jody was 2nd fastest to Gilles, by 11 seconds! If you know the Glen 11 seconds is a lifetime.

It was not 11 seconds, it was 8 seconds.
6 guys did a lap that day, 4 of them in non-competetive machinery.
It was also only practise.

Roamy
15th July 2009, 17:32
You cannot do the impossible. If you do something, then by definition that thing is possible.

There has never been a case of going faster than the car can go. It is impossible, always has been and always will be.

This is the famous quote you may want to check further in your slighting of GV

A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"

DexDexter
15th July 2009, 21:18

You're kidding me? A crasher and a guy who cannot win no matter what car is given to him. That is way beyond soooo bad.

DexDexter
15th July 2009, 21:19

You're kidding me? A crasher and a guy who doesn't win no matter what car is given to him. That is way beyond soooo bad.

Bagwan
16th July 2009, 00:48
JV's keeping race fit , doing the Nascar Nationwide race in Montreal , and the 24 hrs of Spa , as well .
Neither team in 2 very different series has asked for sponsorship , and both understand he can make a car fast , drive it fast , and bring the fans in droves .

BrentJackson
16th July 2009, 01:12
Jacques, just retire already, man, or go back to Indycars. You got turfed from Peugeot in the LMS, have won nothing in stock cars and if you think F1 is gonna call you back you're on drugs.

Roamy
16th July 2009, 08:13
If he ends up back in F1 (which he won't) I'm sure many of JV's fans will blame his lack of performance on either the team principal, car or engineers as they have ever since he stopped having the best car on the grid, and evidently stopped winning.

And any good results that the team will have within five years of JV leaving will be accredited to JV's development work, by several of his fans here.

actually squirrel the teams normally fail much sooner than 5 years. Again people in the sport with a proper track record vouch for his keen abilities. But hell you are probably Damon Hill in disguise. Oh wait excuse me as Damon said standing in Eau Rouge while JV was driving. "Hell maybe he is that good. Someone should give him a car"

ioan
16th July 2009, 08:21

Agreed! :up:

ArrowsFA1
16th July 2009, 08:22
JV's keeping race fit , doing the Nascar Nationwide race in Montreal , and the 24 hrs of Spa , as well .
I've read (link (http://www.flagworld.com/news/?p=5667http://)) that he's doing a couple of touring car races in Argentina as well.

Roamy
16th July 2009, 08:38
I've read (link (http://www.flagworld.com/news/?p=5667http://)) that he's doing a couple of touring car races in Argentina as well.

Maybe he wants a shot at "Maria" :p

ArrowsFA1
16th July 2009, 08:47
I guess this is for H&N not current F1 but...whether it was 8, 9, 10 or 11 secs, who else was on the track, and what session it was doesn't really matter IMHO. What is significant about this to me is the fact that GV wanted to drive in those conditions and the reaction of his peers to his time. They knew what the conditions were and what they were capable of, particularly Scheckter who was out on track in the same car.

As a 3-time WDC said (http://www.f1cartvideos.com/gillesvilleneuvereports.html) of GV: "His level of natural talent is phenomenal - there's real genius in his car control."

Roamy
16th July 2009, 08:53
A good little story:
I took a friend of mine to the F1 race at Long Beach - He knew nothing about racing and had never been to a F1 race. After just the first practice he said to me as he pointed to a car on the track. "That guy there is going to win"
You can guess who it was!!

ioan
16th July 2009, 09:12
Well looks like this thread went off road by about 30 years.

pino
16th July 2009, 09:56
A good little story:
I took a friend of mine to the F1 race at Long Beach - He knew nothing about racing and had never been to a F1 race. After just the first practice he said to me as he pointed to a car on the track. "That guy there is going to win"
You can guess who it was!!

M. Schumacher ? :p :

Roamy
16th July 2009, 17:22
M. Schumacher ? :p :

real funny birthday boy !! Long Beach doesn't allow cheaters :eek:

Roamy
16th July 2009, 17:29

Yea a little distraction while JV finalizes some deals. Nascar in Canada and 24 hr spa. But what the hell is he driving at spa.

He needs to Kick ASS in the canadian nascar race. He could do it with the new car by braun. But he has to get though without crashing into back marker stoners or rookies. The best was is to qual on pole. If he could win it would help in the quest for a f1 ride. Renault should sh!t can piquet and let JV run the rest of the year with Alonso. yea yea i know but it is a different case now that the cars are back to being real cars. Plus this would be good for F1

markabilly
16th July 2009, 18:50
back on topic. JV's future in f1, just another:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r16/exigeken/Angouleme/frog.jpg

Bagwan
16th July 2009, 20:48
Yea a little distraction while JV finalizes some deals. Nascar in Canada and 24 hr spa. But what the hell is he driving at spa.

He needs to Kick ASS in the canadian nascar race. He could do it with the new car by braun. But he has to get though without crashing into back marker stoners or rookies. The best was is to qual on pole. If he could win it would help in the quest for a f1 ride. Renault should sh!t can piquet and let JV run the rest of the year with Alonso. yea yea i know but it is a different case now that the cars are back to being real cars. Plus this would be good for F1

I like that , cowboy , if he doesn't get the whiney Brazilian seat .
He's worked with those guys before , and I'm sure Alonso could use the help .

He'll do fine in Montreal if they bring the equipment . Not having the wiper last year was a bit too much and spoiled a great drive that was set to put all the rest in the shade that day .

Hey , Billy , JV would be the one driving in the picture , if that's Bourdais on the ground . That sounds about right if it's Sebastien that is starting the merry-go-round .

Roamy
17th July 2009, 06:21
back on topic. JV's future in f1, just another:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r16/exigeken/Angouleme/frog.jpg

Hey wrong deal that is SeaBass !!!

Sleeper
17th July 2009, 11:16
Neither team in 2 very different series has asked for sponsorship , and both understand he can make a car fast , drive it fast , and bring the fans in droves .
Who's he driving for at Spa?

ShiftingGears
17th July 2009, 11:32
actually squirrel the teams normally fail much sooner than 5 years. Again people in the sport with a proper track record vouch for his keen abilities.

Yes, noone being interested in him after he got dumped from BMW and replaced by a much faster driver in 2006 is proof of this. :D

Bagwan
17th July 2009, 11:44
Who's he driving for at Spa?

From Autosport :
The Canadian will drive a Gravity Racing International-run Mosler MT900R in the G3 invitation class in the FIA GT Championship's premier event, alongside Vincent Radermacker, Ho-Pin Tung and Loris de Sordi.

markabilly
17th July 2009, 13:19
From Autosport :
The Canadian will drive a Gravity Racing International-run Mosler MT900R in the G3 invitation class in the FIA GT Championship's premier event, alongside Vincent Radermacker, Ho-Pin Tung and Loris de Sordi.

"Ho-Pin Tung" ??? sounds like one of my old "girlfriends" who made a lot of money and had this fake ruby...... :s mokin:

woody2goody
17th July 2009, 13:52
I don't think Jacques is past it. I bet he'll still have nearly all of his speed with the slick tyres.

As much of a supporter of Bourdais as I am, I reckon JV would do a damn sight better. Hell, stick him in the second Renault (again :P), I bet he'd do a better job than Nelsinho.

markabilly
17th July 2009, 14:06
As much of a supporter of Bourdais as I am, I reckon JV would do a damn sight better. Hell, stick him in the second Renault (again :P), I bet he'd do a better job than Nelsinho.
Yeah, that is definetly something to brag about...... :up:

I am sure he would be ten times better than both of those put together....(. :up: :up: x 10)

or as grandpa used to say before he went heaven to be with jesus, ten times nuthin is still nuthin

:dozey:

Firstgear
17th July 2009, 15:10

Ok, so far we have:

(a) he's race fit
(b) he can bring in sponsors if needed
(c) he can develop the car
(d) he's fast
(e) he'll bring in the fans
(f) he'll race for free

What team wouldn't want a driver like that?

There must be some other attributes that he scores extremely poorly on. Maybe he's a real a$$hole? I don't think so, but in F1, this shouldn't make a big difference if you can get the job done.

The only other things I can think of is that all the teams hate his music, or they disagree with you on one (or more) of the attributes listed above.

Well, I don't think they really care about his music. Also, item (f) seems to indicate that JV doesn't even believe all of (a) - (e).

Mekola
17th July 2009, 16:53
"Ho-Pin Tung" ??? sounds like one of my old "girlfriends" who made a lot of money and had this fake ruby...... :s mokin:

Ho-Pin Tung is another F1 hopeful who is Chinese. Tested for Williams in 2003 and later raced in GP2 and A1GP.

Mekola
17th July 2009, 16:58
That's it, he will race for the second time in TRV6, that is a Argentinian spec-Touring Car series, all Pianetto-Berta cars moulded in form of some European street cars like the Mondeo, Passat, Mercedes C-Class, etc.
But in fact, he will not race in Argentina this time - but at Interlagos, in the only international venue that the series will have this year. Villeneuve will have the pleasure to race alongside diverse Argentinian F1 aspirants such as Norberto Fontana, Gastón Mazzacane and José María López, plus famous local tourers like Emiliano Spataro, Matías Rossi, Omar Martínez, Gabriel Ponce de León and Juan Manuel Silva.

ClarkFan
17th July 2009, 17:02
Because Gilles is a much more interesting topic than his son....

ClarkFan

Roamy
17th July 2009, 17:24
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

grantb4
21st July 2009, 04:37
OMG JV sucked bobo at last weekend's NASCAR race in Quebec. He didn't make it around the first lap.

grantb4
26th July 2009, 01:26
OMG JV sucked bobo at last weekend's NASCAR race in Quebec. He didn't make it around the first lap.

And now he's crashed at Spa.

Bagwan
26th July 2009, 01:35
And now he's crashed at Spa.

Did JV steal your girlfriend once , grant ?
He must have , to have prompted this two-thread outburst .

Both teams made a big splash just having him on board , and would again for both that reason , and for the reason that he is still fast .
And , both teams sought him out to ask him to drive , not the other way around .

Have a nice day , and do so , knowing that JV is married now , happily , with two kids .
He won't steal your girl ever again .

woody2goody
26th July 2009, 01:36

Ignoring the fact that last year he almost won it. Selective memory you have here ;)

ClarkFan
26th July 2009, 01:52
Ignoring the fact that last year he almost won it. Selective memory you have here ;)
OK, so he has gotten worse. :rolleyes:

Not exactly a convincing argument for a F1 race seat for a driver whose last good moments in F1 date back to when Michael Schumacher was a young whippersnapper.

ClarkFan

woody2goody
26th July 2009, 02:10
Why not give him a chance? If he is indeed crap, then it's likely his team won't be challenging for points, and they'll get good technical feedback anyway.

If he's as good as he used to be, then great, he might put a point or two on the board, and silence a few of his critics. I hope he can do well, and I think it's a smart move by any team to have a veteran such as JV or de la Rosa in their car or next year.

ClarkFan
26th July 2009, 02:45
Why not give him a chance? If he is indeed crap, then it's likely his team won't be challenging for points, and they'll get good technical feedback anyway.

If he's as good as he used to be, then great, he might put a point or two on the board, and silence a few of his critics. I hope he can do well, and I think it's a smart move by any team to have a veteran such as JV or de la Rosa in their car or next year.
I think the quality of JV's technical feedback is overhyped by his fans on this forum. In 1996, he parachuted into a Williams that was the fastest car on the grid, with most of the development driving since 1992 being done by Damon Hill. With JV as #1 the next year, Williams gradually lost ground to Schumacher and Ferrari. JV's supports cite his battles with the Williams team as undermining him, but he was a second year driver demanding that a group that had won 4 of the past 5 Constructor's Championships change their approach to car setup. I am unconvinced that JV knew something that that the Williams technical staff did not.

Then followed a bad year with Williams and 5 years of declining mediocrity with BAR, all without a sign of JV's setup skill improving those cars. At this stage if I was running a new team and wanted a driver to set up the cars, I would rather hire Damon Hill than JV. At least Hill improved the car everywhere he went....

ClarkFan

grantb4
26th July 2009, 05:13
Did JV steal your girlfriend once , grant ?
He must have , to have prompted this two-thread outburst .

I've always been a big fan of his. But in the last (10?) years he's let me down almost at every turn. ;)

Ent
26th July 2009, 12:40
I think the quality of JV's technical feedback is overhyped by his fans on this forum.

Couldn't agree more. There's little doubt that JV was a good driver, and he's great for PR, but he hasn't really done much in the last 12 years or so. That's a long time to rely on your reputation. I really think those BAR years just about killed the fire in him. He's already been let go by two F1 teams, then spent years out of the sport where the sport moved on and he got older and slower. It would be a brave team to take him on now, or one that is simply after the PR they would get from his loyal fans. But every season his PR handlers wheel out the "I'll be back" line, and every year his fans get all excited again. Maybe we'll still be hearing the same old rumours when he's reached his 50s...

jens
26th July 2009, 17:18
I think drivers' technical feedback is overhyped generally. :p : There is no such thing like "driver singlehandedly turning a team into a winning or losing one".

grantb4
26th July 2009, 21:51
Crash last weekend (pre-Spa):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HzPGB0mAAM

He's in the #7 car.

grantb4
26th July 2009, 21:54
And he's also doing Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières:
http://www.gp3r.com/home.html