TV Schedule - 1pm Eastern - ABC

Course Type - 1.721 Mile Road Course

Distance - 85 Laps / 146.285 Miles

Qualifications - July 11th - 2:05-3:35 pm Eastern

Indy Car Inaugural Event

DanicaFan
7th July 2009, 20:50
A little track history...

This will be the inaugural event for the IndyCar Series. The first time for the series at this track. This track was used by ChampCar from 1986-2007. Andretti Green Promotions purchased the assets to this race back in May, 2008 and Honda came aboard in September. This allowed the race to be part of the 2009 schedule.

There will be 4 former winners at this track in this race. Those drivers and the years they won are..

1. Paul Tracy - 1993, 2003
2. Dario Franchitti - 1999
3. Justin Wilson - 2005
4. Will Power - 2007

Now, Michael Andretti, Danica's race strategist won here 7 times. This will be a big help to her. Michael won here in 1989, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 2000, and 2001.

the bro
7th July 2009, 23:56
Even though this is the first IRL race at the track, some of the drivers have raced in Toronto before.

Castroneves, Dixon, Doornbos, Kanaan, Tagliani, Hunter-Reay, Patrick (Atlantics). My count is 11.

NickFalzone
8th July 2009, 01:16
It's going to be a very impressive driver lineup at Toronto. DF, I wouldn't count on Michael's experience playing into DP's favor. If he has any tips they will probably get to Marco as well, and while Danica has shown improvement on the road courses, she's still pretty bad on the street circuits (Belle Isle 07 notwithstanding).

TURN3
8th July 2009, 02:39
It's going to be a very impressive driver lineup at Toronto. DF, I wouldn't count on Michael's experience playing into DP's favor. If he has any tips they will probably get to Marco as well, and while Danica has shown improvement on the road courses, she's still pretty bad on the street circuits (Belle Isle 07 notwithstanding).

Yes, impressive driver lineup to say the least. You have PT coming back and I think he'll be more competitive than last week, especially if they give him a trick car for a good showing (ala Danica). The big problem for the big guns though is Will Power in Penske equipment. Is Schekter racing this week or is it Milka? Thomas is pretty stout on streets too and with Conway's showing last week I think D&R can hang. I look for Danica to have a hard time cracking p15 this week for sure, unless Mikey is actually driving the car for her.

Then again, D&R doesn't have a shock program like the big teams and Toronto is notorious for bumps...put a ? by D&R.

NickFalzone
8th July 2009, 03:17
Power, PT, and Tags will all be there with something to prove.

I would not be surprised to see any of these drivers in victory lane:

Helio
Dario
TK
Dixon
PT
Tag
Doornbos
Rahal
Power
Wilson

with possible longshots of:

Marco
Wheldon
RHR

NickFalzone
8th July 2009, 04:01
Scheckter is racing in Toronto in the 23.

DanicaFan
8th July 2009, 05:38
Here is the entry list for this race..

Car # & Driver / Car Name / Team

#2 Raphael Matos / US Marines Luczo Dragon Racing / Luczo Dragon Racing
#3 Helio Castroneves / Team Penske / Team Penske
#4 Dan Wheldon / National Guard Panther Racing / Panther Racing
#5 Mario Moraes / KV Racing Technology-Votorantim / KV Racing Technology
#6 Ryan Briscoe / Team Penske / Team Penske
#7 Danica Patrick / Boost Mobile-Motorola / Andretti Green Racing
#9 Scott Dixon / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#10 Dario Franchitti / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#11 Tony Kanaan / Team 7-Eleven-Nestle Pure Life / Andretti Green Racing
#12 Will Power / Penske Truck Rental / Penske Racing
#13 EJ Viso / PDVSA HVM Racing / HVM Racing
#14 Ryan Hunter-Reay / ABC Supply Co. AJ Foyt Racing / AJ Foyt Enterprises
#15 Paul Tracy / Ontario Honda Dealers-woundedwarriers.ca / KV Racing Technology
#18 Justin Wilson / Z-Line Designs / Dale Coyne Racing
#20 Ed Carpenter / Vision-Williams Rast-Lilly Racing / Vision Racing
#23 Tomas Scheckter / Mona Vie-Dreyer & Reinbold Racing / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#24 Mike Conway / Valspar-Dreyer & Reinbold Racing / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#26 Marco Andretti / NYSE-ishares / Andretti Green Racing
#27 Hideki Mutoh / Formula Dream / Andretti Green Racing
#34 Alex Tagliani / King Tut-Conquest Racing / Conquest Racing
#98 Richard Antinucci / Novicomm LED Lighting Technology / CURB-Agajanian Team 3G
#02 Graham Rahal / McDonald's Racing Team / Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing
#06 Robert Doornbos / Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing / Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing

BobGarage
8th July 2009, 12:16
my money is on the back to back win for wilson/dcr.

DanicaFan
8th July 2009, 12:24
My money is on Danica Patrick to win this race.

beachgirl
8th July 2009, 13:13

NO! That's a shocker. Didn't see that one coming.

FormerFF
8th July 2009, 15:11

How much? I'll take some of that action. You can have Danica, I'll take the rest of the field. I'll give you 20 to 1 odds.

SarahFan
8th July 2009, 15:20

$5.....?

dataman1
8th July 2009, 15:28
Better save your money for some personal air filters. 3rd week of a garbage strike underway. (Per my Toronto friends I plan to stay with.)

TURN3
8th July 2009, 15:41
How much? I'll take some of that action. You can have Danica, I'll take the rest of the field. I'll give you 20 to 1 odds.

20 to 1? What are you afraid of? How about 100 to 1? I'll put in $1k. 20 to 1 she doesn't crack top 15 in quals and another 15 to 1 she passes 0 cars on track all day (this depends largely on if Ed Carpenter out qualifies her).

Lets go DF, you're only 1 lucky for 74 in 4.5 years. That means you're dead wrong 98.65% of the time you make a prediction. Put your money where your mouth is.

the bro
8th July 2009, 17:38
Better save your money for some personal air filters. 3rd week of a garbage strike underway. (Per my Toronto friends I plan to stay with.)

They did also mention on the news station this morning that there could be picketing at the track. I haven't been able to find any online sources reporting this as a possibility.

NickFalzone
8th July 2009, 18:27
If the garbage problem is as bad as it sounds, this could severely affect attendance. Anyone here in the TO area? Besides the track smelling like garbage, I wonder if this will also affect the drivers? Some people can get woozy from that kind of stuff if it's really strong. Toronto should hire a private waste disposal company at least for the surrounding areas.

I can already hear the jokes about how much the race stinks.

the bro
8th July 2009, 19:07
I was down at the track yesterday and didn't notice any problems on site with garbage. Some of the city streets have an overflow of garbage bins and some parks are being used as dump sites, but these are not that close to the track. Plus you usually get a nice breeze off of the lake.

Easy Drifter
8th July 2009, 19:17
CP24 a Toronto 24 Hour TV news station had an interview with a Union Official. They will picket the race but no idea of how many pickets or if they will try and delay people attending. Earlier they were holding up people trying to get to temporary dump sites up to 15 minutes per person. The law only allows for a 1 minute delay but the police did nothing and the City would not get an injunction. The Mayor is generally considered pro Union.
As far as I know there are no dump sites close to the track and all are being sprayed. However from what I have seen on TV the streets are a mess.
We must have some members who live in the 'Big Smoke' but I do not know of any. I mean Toronto is about 3 million people and many more in the GTA work in Toronto. :eek:

the bro
8th July 2009, 19:36
Hey thanks for the update. CP24 mentioned the pickets very briefly this morning with no details. From what I have seen around town some streets are a mess and some aren't. Depends on the area. Also some local business associations are cleaning up their area themselves.

Easy Drifter
8th July 2009, 19:54
The old City of York (pre almagamtion) still has private contactors. Apparently 96% of Ontario Municipalities use private contractors. We do up here. All of the GTA use private contracors and their costs are lower than Toronto's. Apparently the strikers want a 3% raise every year for the next 3 and to keep their 18 sick days a year which they can bank.
I do understand, as you say several business areas have hired their own waste disposal companies and most large companies and many restuarants already had private disposal firms. The hotels have private contractors.
Besides if the wind is off Lake Ontario which it usually is there will be no smell. Ontario Place is a Provincial facility and has it's own waste disposal contract.
I would imagine AGR will have private contractors to clean up each day, although the strikers might try to interfere.

chuck34
8th July 2009, 20:59
Sounds like if the Toronto government (or any government really) would grow a backbone and tell the garbage workers to go away, it would save them loads of money. Seeing as how there are a bunch of private firms that do it for less, and possibly better too.

Sorry there I go on my anti-government rant again.

SarahFan
8th July 2009, 21:53
. 20 to 1 she doesn't crack top 15 in quals .

I'll take that bet

grungex
8th July 2009, 21:57
She'll qualify mid-pack, as usual, and finish slightly lower, as usual.

SarahFan
8th July 2009, 22:09
pic of PT's ride

http://twitpic.com/9m8x0

SoCalPVguy
8th July 2009, 22:14

You must have a lot of money to burn betting on the princess to win week in and week out ...

I was in Toronto in 2003 (PT's last victory there( and took this shot of princess on her way to the F-Atlantic race...
http://transfers.mep-llc.com/files/P1010013.JPG

Next is a shot of the pouting unhappy princess retruning from the race after finishing at rear of field. She couldn't drive Toronto then and I don't think she can drive Toronto now, save your money, bet Penske/Target to win with a dark horse of maybe Wilson...

http://transfers.mep-llc.com/files/P1010030.JPG

DanicaFan
8th July 2009, 22:46
Nice pics SoCal.

I do like Paul Tracy's car.

She will do just fine in Toronto. I have no worries. Look for her in the front row after qualifying. ;)

garyshell
8th July 2009, 22:54
Nice pics SoCal.

She will do just fine in Toronto. I have no worries. Look for her in the front row after qualifying. ;)

Yep, in the front row of the grandstands after she got bumped in round one.

Gary

SoCalPVguy
8th July 2009, 23:30
Yep, in the front row of the grandstands after she got bumped in round one. Gary

MEMORY LANE
Paul Tracy Wins 2003 Molson Indy at Toronto !!!

http://transfers.mep-llc.com/files/P1010155.JPG

http://transfers.mep-llc.com/files/P1010165.JPG

harvick#1
9th July 2009, 00:03
NO! That's a shocker. Didn't see that one coming.

neither did I, I am simply amazed :laugh:

I'd like to see Power get the win this weekend, but I'll take Briscoe, Dixon, or Wilson on the win.

SoCal, great pics, loved the old Players Livery :D

TURN3
9th July 2009, 00:29
Remember PT's epic drive with 1 front wing after he and that French prick came together? He drove away from the field with 1 wing until Mikelwright ran him out of fuel. GF almost fired the entire crew after that.

TURN3
9th July 2009, 00:32
Nice pics SoCal.

Lets get serious about these ridiculous statements you're always making. How about FOR REAL: You claim DP on front row, so benefit of doubt is outside front row, P2 for qualifying. So every position below that she qualifies you can't post ANYTHING AT ALL for the difference of P2 and her actual place. So she qualifies 17th (my prediction), you can't post for 15 races.

If she qualifies P1 or P2 then, I'll leave the forum forever under any name.

What do you say?

Easy Drifter
9th July 2009, 03:25
Ticket sales apparently less than 10,000. Mind you still time.
Also it seems AGR have alienated many of the local car clubs who previously supplied a lot of the volunteer help.
These are only rumours but my 'old sources' indicate this is so.
The fact that TSN put many of the previous races on TSN2, which many people, including me, do not get and often in the middle of the night has not helped maintain fan interest.
Versus is not available in Canada.

the bro
9th July 2009, 03:38
Unfortunately I am not surprised. They took away all the reasonably priced grandstands and added only one small grandstand. I would say from a few trips down to the track recently, there are 40% less seats than 2 years ago. That new grandstand they added in turn 9 is ten rows high. From what I can see some previously accessable general admision areas, turn 8 for example, don't look like you will be able to watch from there. Although it is hard to tell as of 2 days ago most of the spectator fences were not in place. I think I may pass by there tomorrow to see what the situation is.

I have attended every race from 1986 on and at this point I am still sitting on the fence as to which tickets to buy. Practice is only 2 days away! In past years they used to call up previous ticket buyers and try to sell you tickets, not one call this year.

Easy Drifter
9th July 2009, 04:13
Support events are Indy Lites, Group70 (sort of vintage with 40 entries) CTCC and Drifting. A rather skimpy support schedule. Having seen several Group 70 races probably less than half really race. Quite a few figure the cars are worth too much to really push.
My latest info is that BARC (who previously ran all volunteer support) were finally contacted to supply staff but no signed contract as yet. That might have changed.
Far fewer perks for volunteers than previously. Basically lunch, a shirt and hat. No party, no tickets for family.

the bro
9th July 2009, 15:09
A quote from todays Toronto Star

"We're not going to put up grandstands for 70,000 people and then not fill them," said Andretti - who won what used to be called the Molson Indy an amazing seven times in 16 races - in a recent interview.

"We're being realistic," he said. "You have to get a feel (for something) first. So the first year, it'll be a bit of a feel. We want to find out what we're doing right and where we have to improve - where we might have to shift our focus."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/autoracing/article/662900

This seams fair enough. The problem I have is that the grandstands that were not put up this year were all of the most affordable ones.

bblocker68
9th July 2009, 15:57
Good to see Power back. I look for:

Power and Wilson battling for the win.
PT for top 5.
Danica top 10.
And Marco to have a reason to whine (Here comes Moraes on the inside!) :)

How many cars will we see using only "black's" in the first Qually round????

NickFalzone
9th July 2009, 19:46
The Bro, I disagree. To me that comment from Mike basically says that they're going to do a crappy job this year, expect it, and I'm going to cover my ass by saying we'll do a better job next year. BS.

the bro
9th July 2009, 19:58
Well hopefully they can grow it next year, but I still am unsure if that is the right way to go about it. The only grandstands that were removed were the reasonably priced grandstands. In my mind if you were worried how many people were going to show up, you wouldn't remove just the cheap grandstands. And as other posters have stated the support races are kind of thin. Aside from the Indy lights the rest of the races are all amatuer races. They used to have quite a few good support races over the years.

NickFalzone
9th July 2009, 20:18
Well, the ALMS/IRL double headers were a great ticket IMO but ALMS couldn't deal with being the support series, and IRL rightfully so was not going to be a support series to ALMS. The 2 series are too close in popularity right now and are kind of fighting for that spot from what i can tell.

garyshell
9th July 2009, 20:34
File this one under the "what the hell were they thinking" category.

He'll rock 'n' roll all night
By indycar.com staff Thursday, July 9, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gene Simmons, co-founded KISS more than 35 years ago, will be the grand marshal of the Honda Indy Toronto this weekend.

Simmons has been the mastermind behind many modern advancements in merchandising/licensing, including some of the larger licensing/merchandise deals for KISS (more than 2,500 licenses currently in effect around the globe), production of television shows and a series of KISS and Simmons-themed comic books sold around the world.

"Gene Simmons is one of the most recognizable figures and groundbreaking businessmen in the world and we are pleased to have him be a big part of the 2009 Honda Indy Toronto," said Kevin Savoree, president of Andretti Green Toronto, promoters of the race. "We have had the pleasure of working with Gene and his team on several occasions and we know his unique, high-energy personality will be a great addition to the festivities at this year's event."

Hello, Michael, anyone home? It's a RACE, not a freakin' side show! Get the overblown egotistical a$$ off the bill ASAP.

...shakes head... :eek:

Gary

NickFalzone
9th July 2009, 20:52
Ugh.

the bro
9th July 2009, 21:23
Nice as it would be I don't think ALMS would stage a race in Toronto. There is already a ALMS at Mosport which is a 1 hour drive outside of Toronto. Also the founder of ALMS, Panoz, also owns the Mosport track.

the bro
10th July 2009, 02:28
If you are considering General Admission this year you may want to read this.

I went down to the track tonight and had a look around. Quite a few general admission areas in past years are not accessable. Particularly on the outside of the track from turn 3 to turn 8.

The small area on the outside of turn 3 is totally fenced off, you can't get anywhere near there.

The area of the fountain turn (Turn 6) and where grandstand 31 used to be, appear to be outside of the gates. It appears that you could watch there for free, but I bet they put banners up on the fence or something. The entrance to the track from Dufferin is now at the cross over bridge. (turn 7)

The area from the cross over bridge to the GO staion is completly fenced off, you can no longer watch at turn 8. You can't even see the track from the GO station due to banners on the fence.

Complete bummer, this has really reduced the GA areas. I was originally thinking of doing GA, but now I don't know what I am going to do?

Another problem is I usually park near the Dufferin Gates, from what I saw and looking at the track map there doesn't appear to be any ticket sales at that entrance. I guess the message is if you come in from the West end and have no tickets, too bad. It is a pretty bloody long walk from Dufferin to the Prince's gates. I would order them online but you can no longer do that. Don't they have print at home tickets like most places?

Well thanks for reading my rant. I sure most of my problems will dissapear as soon as I see the first car on the track, if I ever get in!

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 15:27
cars on track

PT the early P1

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 15:29
stanton barrett will be back for Motegi

Chris R
10th July 2009, 15:38
File this one under the "what the hell were they thinking" category.

Hello, Michael, anyone home? It's a RACE, not a freakin' side show! Get the overblown egotistical a$$ off the bill ASAP.

...shakes head... :eek:

Gary
wow - who knew Gene Simmons was so multi-talented.... :rolleyes:

is he Canadian?

Do they like kiss in Canada??

Why??
Why??
Why??

:p

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 15:41
will power goes p1..

Dario:"you push every time your on track'...<nice comment!

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 15:58
Will and Pauls cars look outstanding this weekend

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 15:59
anyone know if Scheckters car is a old motorola/danica car?......looks very very similar

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 16:11
I really enjoy the online announcers......anyone else?

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 16:13
top 12 in points starting to move up the grid...

Dixon to P1

indycool
10th July 2009, 16:16
What they're saying:

Ottawa Citizen:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/autoracing/Danica+dazzling+season+invades+Canada/1775689/story.html

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/autoracing/Tracy+revs+support+injured+troops/1778160/story.html

London Free Press:

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Sports/Motorsports/2009/07/10/10086146-sun.html

Edmonton Sun:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/othersports/2009/07/10/10084711-sun.html

Toronto Star:

http://www.wheels.ca/reviews/article/754044

http://www.thestar.com/sports/autoracing/article/663797

Toronto Sun:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/othersports/2009/07/10/10085186-sun.html

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/dean_mcnulty/2009/07/10/10085191-sun.html

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/othersports/2009/07/10/10085246-sun.html

Toronto Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/pappone-on-the-honda-indy/article1213591/

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 16:27
power goes P1...

I love that he has consistantly made the most of his part-time ride

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 16:30
briscoe p21....?

only 8 laps... but suprised to see him that far down....

Danica P23....headed towards pole!

NickFalzone
10th July 2009, 16:35
DF, still confident your driver is going to have a pole run? After a lot of laps, over 6 mph behind the leader?

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 16:40
briscoe jumps to p4.... more like it

wilson p11

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 16:41
AGR top driver is Kanaan at p13......

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 16:42
a minute later Tony jumps to p6

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 16:44
checker...

a very nicely mixed grid......shaping up to be a interesting weekend I think....wish i was there

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 16:48
fun practice session....

*side note... it will be interesting to see what AGR announce for attendance....

TURN3
10th July 2009, 16:56
Lets get serious about these ridiculous statements you're always making. How about FOR REAL: You claim DP on front row, so benefit of doubt is outside front row, P2 for qualifying. So every position below that she qualifies you can't post ANYTHING AT ALL for the difference of P2 and her actual place. So she qualifies 17th (my prediction), you can't post for 15 races.

If she qualifies P1 or P2 then, I'll leave the forum forever under any name.

What do you say?

This friendly and simple wager request went without reply. I think we know why.

And I predicted DP in P17 for qualy...I may have shunted my own self!! How can any driver considered a professional finish last, that far off pace? True colors always seem to shine. Last week she nipped herself into advancing 2 sessions by having a last ditch run on the last lap of those. Timing is everything in her case. Be it pit strategy (name more than 3 races she's not on "alternate strategy"), or be it having to use 1 more set of tires to get the absolute max at the last possible second. What I'm saying is that even when she gets descent results it is 9/10 pure good fortune and luck.

Danica Patrick stinks.

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 17:01
you ignored that i wnted to take you upon the 20-1 odds of her breaking into the top 15...

I's like to take that for $5

?

Easy Drifter
10th July 2009, 17:20
I just saw some pictures from the CTCC practice taken on the pit straight. Looked like more cars on track than specatators in stands.
These were the first cars on track so that may not be a true reflection.

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 17:26
I just saw some pictures from the CTCC practice taken on the pit straight. Looked like more cars on track than specatators in stands.
These were the first cars on track so that may not be a true reflection.

I was just texting with my buddy from kingston... hes been 10 or 12 times and i attended with him three years ago... we were watching via indycar.com

i commented that the grandstands on the mainstretch looked less than 1/2 when we went......and said there were 40% down when we went.....

another long time poster at another forum is there this morning... he has referenced 1/2 the seating from 07'....

TURN3
10th July 2009, 17:28
you ignored that i wnted to take you upon the 20-1 odds of her breaking into the top 15...

I's like to take that for $5

?

My bad, I missed it. So you're saying she WILL crack P15 in qualifying? You still want 20 to 1 on that?

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 17:40
My bad, I missed it. So you're saying she WILL crack P15 in qualifying? You still want 20 to 1 on that?

sure...

so if she goes p16 or worse i pay you $5

if she is p15 or better you pay me $100

right?

TURN3
10th July 2009, 17:44
sure...

right?

Ok, I'm in!! Sort of fun knowing the 1 person on here that should be putting their money where there mouth is....WON'T. Good luck.

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 17:50
Ok, I'm in!! Sort of fun knowing the 1 person on here that should be putting their money where there mouth is....WON'T. Good luck.

He never will...

And good luck to you

garyshell
10th July 2009, 18:03
What they're saying:

Interesting and refreshing to see that each of these articles is about the PEOPLE. These were not about the equipment, the venue, the seating, the promotion etc. No they were about the human beings behind the wheel. The entity in racing that everyone can relate to, fan or not. It is really nice to see that the reporters up north "get it". Thank you!

Gary

Easy Drifter
10th July 2009, 18:51
With apoligies to Danica Fan (yeah right).
It wasn't her fault she was so slow.
It was the traffic.
She couldn't get out of her own way. :dozey:

beachbum
10th July 2009, 18:53
sure...

right?After watching her in car camera view in the first practice and looking at timing and scoring, maybe the bet should be "will she out qualify Carpenter and get off the back row". I don't see that much sawing at the wheel at a dirt track. She looked extremely uncomfortable, perhaps even worse than at Surfers last year.

But its only the first practice..........

beachbum
10th July 2009, 18:57
With apoligies to Danica Fan (yeah right).
It wasn't her fault she was so slow.
It was the traffic.
She couldn't get out of her own way. :dozey: Ouch!

DanicaFan
10th July 2009, 19:23
Here are the results of the first practice session...

Rank / Car# & Driver / Lap Time / Speed

1. #12 Will Power / 01:02.1733 / 101.619
2. #2 Raphael Matos / 01:02.2975 / 101.417
3. #9 Scott Dixon / 01:02.3324 / 101.360
4. #6 Ryan Briscoe / 01:02.3556 / 101.322
5. #15 Paul Tracy / 01:02.3930 / 101.261
6. #11 Tony Kanaan / 01:02.4499 / 101.169
7. #10 Dario Franchitti / 01:02.4964 / 101.094
8. #3 Helio Castroneves / 01:02.5057 / 101.079
9. #06 Robert Doornbos / 01:02.5742 / 100.968
10. #02 Graham Rahal / 01:02.5765 / 100.964
11. #14 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 01:02.6661 / 100.820
12. #18 Justin Wilson / 01:02.6748 / 100.806
13. #34 Alex Tagliani / 01:02.6923 / 100.778
14. #24 Mike Conway / 01:03.0203 / 100.253
15. #5 Mario Moraes / 01:03.0293 / 100.239
16. #26 Marco Andretti / 01:03.2557 / 99.880
17. #27 Hideki Mutoh / 01:03.3323 / 99.760
18. #13 EJ Viso / 01:03.5222 / 99.461
19. #23 Tomas Scheckter / 01:04.1912 / 98.425
20. #4 Dan Wheldon / 01:04.3358 / 98.203
21. #98 Richard Antinucci / 01:04.4100 / 98.090
22. #20 Ed Carpenter / 01:04.8593 / 97.411
23. #7 Danica Patrick / 01:04.9420 / 97.287

jimispeed
10th July 2009, 19:27
Finally Doornbos is as quick as he should be! If he has a car to win, he'll be hard to beat!

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 19:31
After watching her in car camera view in the first practice and looking at timing and scoring, maybe the bet should be "will she out qualify Carpenter and get off the back row". I don't see that much sawing at the wheel at a dirt track. She looked extremely uncomfortable, perhaps even worse than at Surfers last year.

But its only the first practice..........

she certainly didn't look good P1...

but she qualified p15 at St Pete

ran p14 in combined practice(s) at LB

and Qualified p8 at WG

plus at 20-1....I might loose a Burger for lunch and win enough for a Motley Crue ticket...

I'd say my odds of winning are 45-55 (20/80 after p1).......but at 20-1 I'd take that bet every time

DanicaFan
10th July 2009, 19:39
Danica was improving this 2nd session. She had the incident on Turn 5 which damaged the car and ended her session. So, if this didnt happen, she would of been up there in speed.

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 19:40
Danica was improving this 2nd session. She had the incident on Turn 5 which damaged the car and ended her session. So, if this didnt happen, she would of been up there in speed.

or not

harvick#1
10th July 2009, 19:43
or not

give her a break, The wall moved and hit her :p :

NickFalzone
10th July 2009, 19:44
She was running last in the first session, and crashed in the second session. I'm not sure how you can spin that.

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 19:48
She was running last in the first session, and crashed in the second session. I'm not sure how you can spin that.

almost like religion

indycool
10th July 2009, 20:00
You're welcome, Gary....the more I read of 'em, the more I realized what you said and wanted to share 'em.............

bblocker68
10th July 2009, 20:02

He wont have to. I bet she can spin it easily enough herself :)

Chamoo
10th July 2009, 20:08
Well, it's nice to see Justin up near the top of the time charts again today. Also happy Matos and LDR is on top. It's nice to see some different names fill the top of the time charts. Especially since I picked both of those guys in my Indycar fantasy picks lol.

DanicaFan
10th July 2009, 20:09
Well, not a good day for Danica. She crashed unfortunately ending her practice session early. She will have a better qualifying day tomorrow.

Here are the results of the 2nd practice session..

1. #2 Raphael Matos / 01:01.4739 / 102.775
2. #18 Justin Wilson / 01:01.7627 / 102.295
3. #12 Will Power / 01:01.7722 / 102.279
4. #06 Robert Doornbos / 01:01.8386 / 102.169
5. #6 Ryan Briscoe / 01:01.8420 / 102.164
6. #10 Dario Franchitti / 01:01.9237 / 102.029
7. #3 Helio Castroneves / 01:01.9364 / 102.008
8. #9 Scott Dixon / 01:01.9617 / 101.966
9. #02 Graham Rahal / 01:02.0027 / 101.899
10. #11 Tony Kanaan / 01:02.0044 / 101.896
11. #24 Mike Conway / 01:02.1916 / 101.589
12. #23 Tomas Scheckter / 01:02.3048 / 101.405
13. #15 Paul Tracy / 01:02.3653 / 101.306
14. #14 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 01:02.4745 / 101.129
15. #26 Marco Andretti / 01:02.5434 / 101.018
16. #5 Mario Moraes / 01:02.6133 / 100.905
17. #34 Alex Tagliani / 01:02.7255 / 100.725
18. #13 EJ Viso / 01:02.7758 / 100.644
19. #4 Dan Wheldon / 01:03.4514 / 99.572
20. #98 Richard Antinucci / 01:03.9239 / 98.836
21. #7 Danica Patrick / 01:03.9279 / 98.830
22. #27 Hideki Mutoh / 01:03.9653 / 98.772
23. #20 Ed Carpenter / 01:04.7355 / 97.597

Chamoo
10th July 2009, 20:14
Anyone going to be there tomorrow?

grungex
10th July 2009, 20:45
Well, not a good day for Danica. She crashed unfortunately ending her practice session early. She will have a better qualifying day tomorrow.

I admire your optimism... :s mokin:

chuck34
10th July 2009, 21:12
Why in the world doesn't Will Power have a full time ride?

That was more retorical, I know most of the reasons, even though I may not fully understand them.

beachgirl
10th July 2009, 21:31

Tomorrow, tomorrow.........Wasn't that the theme song to "Annie"?

Scarlett O'Hara used that line too, I believe.

harvick#1
10th July 2009, 21:43
Tomorrow, tomorrow.........Wasn't that the theme song to "Annie"?

Scarlett O'Hara used that line too, I believe.

much like the chicago cub fans, "Theres always next year" :laugh:

as for chuck, I have no clue, Will deserves a fulltime ride, but hes still smart enough though to stick it out with Roger, because he knows that if he gets a sponsorship, then hes in top equipment

indycool
10th July 2009, 22:01
Reminds me a lot of Rick Mears taking a part-time deal with Roger rather than a fulltime deal elsewhere.....a good call.

DanicaFan
10th July 2009, 22:09
Come on guys, she had a bad day. She will be back at it tomorrow good and strong. She will be right up there in speed.

SarahFan
10th July 2009, 22:19
Come on guys, she had a bad day. She will be back at it tomorrow good and strong. She will be right up there in speed.

I'm predicting p15

chuck34
10th July 2009, 22:32
IC and Harvick, I agree it's a good move for him. It would just be nice if Roger would "farm him out" or something. Maybe even run him in his DP a bit. But like I said, it was more of a wondering out loud type of thing, not really a serious question.

harvick#1
10th July 2009, 23:04
I believe if Roger still had the Spyders in ALMS, Will would be driving in those, much like how Briscoe started with Roger. but its a shame with the talent Will has to not be in a fulltime ride

drewdawg727
10th July 2009, 23:20
Ok, this race is only 145 miles? This thing is gonna be over in a flash.......either that or these machines are gonna look painfully slow.

Oh, and DF is starting to sound like some sort of recording or something.

TURN3
11th July 2009, 00:03
I'm predicting p15

Are you predicting or just hoping!? You just want $100!!!

Seriously, when AGR is at a track that they don't have an advantage through budget...she is just a gambling driver hoping to Danica her way to the front. Pathetic to see week after week people taut (sp?..sounds like towt) her as an amazing mid-pack driver. History shows and relative performance shows she stinks. And DF knows it because he didn't even respond to my bet. He'd be looking at a 18 to 20 race ban from the forum if he did!! Oh good Lord wouldn't that be sweet.

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 00:23
Are you predicting or just hoping!? You just want $100!!!

Seriously, when AGR is at a track that they don't have an advantage through budget...she is just a gambling driver hoping to Danica her way to the front. Pathetic to see week after week people taut (sp?..sounds like towt) her as an amazing mid-pack driver. History shows and relative performance shows she stinks. And DF knows it because he didn't even respond to my bet. He'd be looking at a 18 to 20 race ban from the forum if he did!! Oh good Lord wouldn't that be sweet.

I'm certainly not touting danica by any stretch... I just like the odds

And based on todays performance ok not just hoping ......I'm prayin for a miracle

TURN3
11th July 2009, 00:35
I'm certainly not touting danica by any stretch... I just like the odds

And based on todays performance ok not just hoping ......I'm prayin for a miracle

I know. I wasn't referring to you, just people in general that refuse to look at reality. I must say though, when I started throwing odds and numbers out, I did so with her past performance in mind but by no means am I a pro odds maker. I think the bet we have is turning out to be a pretty reasonable one though wouldn't you agree? I think the only way she gets to P15 is with a very very fortunate draw to get into the 2nd group. I haven't seen the draw yet but the only car/driver I can see her out qualifying tomorrow is Carpenter unless others have troubles...which is possible.

grungex
11th July 2009, 00:51
people taut (sp?..sounds like towt)

"tout" is the word you seek... :)

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 00:52
I know. I wasn't referring to you, just people in general that refuse to look at reality. I must say though, when I started throwing odds and numbers out, I did so with her past performance in mind but by no means am I a pro odds maker. I think the bet we have is turning out to be a pretty reasonable one though wouldn't you agree? I think the only way she gets to P15 is with a very very fortunate draw to get into the 2nd group. I haven't seen the draw yet but the only car/driver I can see her out qualifying tomorrow is Carpenter unless others have troubles...which is possible.

Yep.... Good bet

And not looking for me at this point

Weather might be a factor also

SoCalPVguy
11th July 2009, 01:47
Here are the results of the first practice session...

1. #12 Will Power / 01:02.1733 / 101.619
2. #2 Raphael Matos / 01:02.2975 / 101.417
3. #9 Scott Dixon / 01:02.3324 / 101.360
4. #6 Ryan Briscoe / 01:02.3556 / 101.322
5. #15 Paul Tracy / 01:02.3930 / 101.261
6. #11 Tony Kanaan / 01:02.4499 / 101.169
7. #10 Dario Franchitti / 01:02.4964 / 101.094
8. #3 Helio Castroneves / 01:02.5057 / 101.079
9. #06 Robert Doornbos / 01:02.5742 / 100.968
10. #02 Graham Rahal / 01:02.5765 / 100.964
11. #14 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 01:02.6661 / 100.820
12. #18 Justin Wilson / 01:02.6748 / 100.806
13. #34 Alex Tagliani / 01:02.6923 / 100.778
14. #24 Mike Conway / 01:03.0203 / 100.253
15. #5 Mario Moraes / 01:03.0293 / 100.239
16. #26 Marco Andretti / 01:03.2557 / 99.880
17. #27 Hideki Mutoh / 01:03.3323 / 99.760
18. #13 EJ Viso / 01:03.5222 / 99.461
19. #23 Tomas Scheckter / 01:04.1912 / 98.425
20. #4 Dan Wheldon / 01:04.3358 / 98.203
21. #98 Richard Antinucci / 01:04.4100 / 98.090
22. #20 Ed Carpenter / 01:04.8593 / 97.411
23. #7 Danica Patrick / 01:04.9420 / 97.287 <<<=== Well lookie here !!!

You still want to bet your $$$ for DP on the pole (that's pole position not stripper pole) ????????????????????

SoCalPVguy
11th July 2009, 01:48

1. #2 Raphael Matos / 01:01.4739 / 102.775
2. #18 Justin Wilson / 01:01.7627 / 102.295
3. #12 Will Power / 01:01.7722 / 102.279
4. #06 Robert Doornbos / 01:01.8386 / 102.169
5. #6 Ryan Briscoe / 01:01.8420 / 102.164
6. #10 Dario Franchitti / 01:01.9237 / 102.029
7. #3 Helio Castroneves / 01:01.9364 / 102.008
8. #9 Scott Dixon / 01:01.9617 / 101.966
9. #02 Graham Rahal / 01:02.0027 / 101.899
10. #11 Tony Kanaan / 01:02.0044 / 101.896
11. #24 Mike Conway / 01:02.1916 / 101.589
12. #23 Tomas Scheckter / 01:02.3048 / 101.405
13. #15 Paul Tracy / 01:02.3653 / 101.306
14. #14 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 01:02.4745 / 101.129
15. #26 Marco Andretti / 01:02.5434 / 101.018
16. #5 Mario Moraes / 01:02.6133 / 100.905
17. #34 Alex Tagliani / 01:02.7255 / 100.725
18. #13 EJ Viso / 01:02.7758 / 100.644
19. #4 Dan Wheldon / 01:03.4514 / 99.572
20. #98 Richard Antinucci / 01:03.9239 / 98.836

He almost HAS to be better seeing as how she is nearly dead last - no where to go but UP - right ???????

harvick#1
11th July 2009, 01:51
yeah if everyone wrecks

SoCalPVguy
11th July 2009, 01:53

On what do base this assumption " she would of been up there in speed" ? She was LAST in 1st session. You are the most tiring poster here, I hope you conduct your general home and profesional life with more common sense than your strange obsession with Danica for your own good. best of luck to you.

Easy Drifter
11th July 2009, 03:42
Funny as it may sound she might have a good finish if she keeps her nose clean.
Toronto has historically been a race of many full course yellows. I expect between 40 to 60 per cent of the race to be under full course yellow.
So if AGR (Mikey) plays it right she might do OK.
Otherwise she ain't got a hope.

beachbum
11th July 2009, 03:58

Well, the only way it could be worse is if Carpenter out qualifies her. So you have a chance of making that prediction come true. But then again - if it rains......

Chamoo
11th July 2009, 04:59
DanicaFan, isn't the Einstein's definition of insanity something along the lines of 'Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result'?

Think about it.

harvick#1
11th July 2009, 06:06
Funny as it may sound she might have a good finish if she keeps her nose clean.
Toronto has historically been a race of many full course yellows. I expect between 40 to 60 per cent of the race to be under full course yellow.
So if AGR (Mikey) plays it right she might do OK.
Otherwise she ain't got a hope.

like how everyother race shes has gotten to the front, shes gotten some lucky break, but Watkins Glen still showed her true talents on the final pitstop, in P6 out P12, -6 because the guys were able to put the hammer down when it counted to make fast laps

indycool
11th July 2009, 09:29
Toronto Sun:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/othersports/2009/07/10/10092806.html

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/othersports/2009/07/10/10091146.html

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/othersports/2009/07/10/10092811.html

http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/mike_strobel/2009/07/10/10084966-sun.html

Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/663952

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/664429

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/664069

Toronto Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/when-reality-hits-the-road/article1214913/

Edmonton Sun:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/othersports/2009/07/11/10098066-sun.html

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/othersports/2009/07/11/10098076-sun.html

London Free Press:

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Sports/Motorsports/2009/07/11/10097166-sun.html

Waterloo Record:

http://news.therecord.com/Wire/Sports_Wire/article/567473

http://news.therecord.com/Wire/Sports_Wire/Auto_Racing_Wire/article/567513

ozrevhead
11th July 2009, 14:33
Im looking foward to this race

Im so happy to see Ryan so close to championship but I am hoping he can start winning and stop finishing 2nd LOL :D

Mark in Oshawa
11th July 2009, 15:04
Well, as someone who was a regular at this race, I wont be there, I have to be in Jacksonville FL with a load of beer cases for A-H Busch. Cant have Floridians not having a way of carrying their cases of Bud ya know.

DanicaFan, it is alright to be a fan, but being a realistic one would garner you a tad more respect. My first impressions of Danica was when she showed up in Toronto the year she ran Atlantics, and she looked as lost as my mother-in-law on an expressway. Not pretty. Nothing from what I have heard has changed on road/street courses. It is Danica's weakness.

As for the garbage strike and general malaise around this race:

The Good: The Andretti's ran nice big newsy features on their own daily ad every day in the paper. Great way to hype the race.

The bad: dumping on the local racing community by not going to them like the old organizers did for volunteeers, whether it be my former timing and scoring guys, or the ton of course control, parking, hospitality and organizational muscle that BARC-OC provided from the numerous CASC clubs in the area. To dump on these people showed an arrogance from the Andretti's that I frankly wasn't surprised by and it is biting them now.
The ticket sales are flat likely because they have overpriced some of the seats and Toronto has really felt the recession a bit more than I think anyone thought. Losing the race for a year didn't help, and people forget that this was the last bastion of ChampCar. The last race drew a good crowd when just about everywhere else CCWS was being maligned.

I think through misguided seat and grandstand price/location choices, bad marketing (no TV ads really) and maybe just bad karma, the crowd will be down.

Oh ya...the Garbage strike? We had one 3 years ago during the race and I don't remember it being a big deal. The organizers had it contracted out at the track, and the people of Toronto have been reasonably good about keeping the town looking somewhat presentable. A dirty day in Toronto is a clean day in a place like Detroit.....

The instant classic
11th July 2009, 15:06
Mark in Oshawa are you going to the race tomorrow?

Mark in Oshawa
11th July 2009, 16:49
Mark in Oshawa are you going to the race tomorrow?

No sir, I have to be working. AS I said at the start of my post, the thirsty Bud drinkers of Fla want to buy their beer in cases, and those are printed and cut in Ajax ON and I am the guy stuck with the run. My week off starts the following weekend so I am driving this weekend...

Also, my timing and scoring days are behind me. That and with Andretti's NOT utilizing the organization of BARC workers, my connections for getting me in doing something at the race are pretty much gone. If I go from here on in, I probably will be buying a seat. THAT would suck because for almost 20 years I had an all access pass to places the public couldn't be and I would chafe at being stuck in a Grandstand!!!!

Hoop-98
11th July 2009, 17:03
I guess the rain puts the challenge on the driver not the car eh?

http://i27.tinypic.com/2cxakhl.jpg

;)

rh

POS_Maggott
11th July 2009, 17:04
That's strange Mark, right now I'm sitting outside turn 3, in a BARC rescue truck. To my knowledge, we've got a lot of guys here this weekend...

Mark in Oshawa
11th July 2009, 17:55
That's strange Mark, right now I'm sitting outside turn 3, in a BARC rescue truck. To my knowledge, we've got a lot of guys here this weekend...

Maggot, they were originally not part of the plan. Andretti wasn't going to go through Scott Ellsworth's group of BARC for the volunteers. You guys are there as marshals or trackside services. They had to go through the CASC locals to staff that, but they cut way back on the volunteers for the stuff behind the scenes and the word I heard was they bypassed the BARC/CASC groups in their initial organization.

grungex
11th July 2009, 18:08
Of course the fact that most of the drivers ran less than 10 laps in that session just might have something to do with the results. :s mokin:

I guess the rain puts the challenge on the driver not the car eh?

http://i27.tinypic.com/2cxakhl.jpg

;)

rh

Mark in Oshawa
11th July 2009, 18:39
From what I see there...I hope it rains...lol..PT is fast in the rain. I guess being bold works in the wet.

DanicaFan
11th July 2009, 19:08
Qualifications have begun... It's a dry track!

DanicaFan
11th July 2009, 19:23
The Fast 6 to go from Group 1 are..

1. Dario Franchitti
2. Mike Conway
3. Ryan Briscoe
4. Helio Castroneves
5. Raphael Matos
6. Alex Tagliani

Hoop-98
11th July 2009, 19:28
Group 1

http://i26.tinypic.com/288ytmg.jpg

rh

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 19:31
how about Conway.....as the season has progressed I'd say the most improved driver

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 19:39
Danica!.... your killing me here

lay down one lap... just one fer christmas sake

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 19:45
send me an address.... I send a crisp $5

grungex
11th July 2009, 19:46
Danica P18, whoo-hoo!

DanicaFan
Dang! Danica didnt make the Fast 6... :(

Here are the Fast 6 moving on..

1 Justin Wilson
2. Graham Rahal
3. Will Power
4. Robert Doornbos
5. Scott Dixon
6. Ryan Hunter-Reay

SarahFan
AGR...p17-p22

can they really be considered part of the 'big 3' any longer

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 19:47

1 Justin Wilson
2. Graham Rahal
3. Will Power
4. Robert Doornbos
5. Scott Dixon
6. Ryan Hunter-Reay

did you seriosly honestly believe she would?

honest answer would be appreciated

TURN3
11th July 2009, 19:48
send me an address.... I send a crisp $5

SWEET!! Good fun man...save it & we'll go double or nothing in Edmonton. P15 or better and we're even or P16 or worse and you owe me $10.

Oh yeah...to everybody: Danica STINKS!!

gm99
What a disaster for AGR in their self-promoted event - Marco is best in P17...

grungex

Seriously, this surprises you? :eek:

TURN3
11th July 2009, 19:51

1 Justin Wilson
2. Graham Rahal
3. Will Power
4. Robert Doornbos
5. Scott Dixon
6. Ryan Hunter-Reay

She made the fast 6 back to her trailer. Maybe she should get some extra work on on the lights team. My $$ says she'd be mid-pack in that series also with AGR being by far the most dominate lights team.

Or, maybe she should've swallowed her pride and did what AGR wanted by getting seat time in the A1GP.

Danica STINKS!!

Hoop-98
http://i31.tinypic.com/10f5gnm.jpg

rh

SarahFan
SWEET!! Good fun man...save it & we'll go double or nothing in Edmonton. P15 or better and we're even or P16 or worse and you owe me $10.

Oh yeah...to everybody: Danica STINKS!!

were on....

how about Wilson!..... gotta root for him and the team

DanicaFan
11th July 2009, 19:54
I am suprised that none of the AGR cars made it. That is a big shock. But, in Danica's and Tony's defense, they were running on repaired cars. Especially, Tony, he had his crash this morning so he had no time to practice with the car.

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 19:57
its about to get looney....

the T&S board is in constant motion

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 19:58
I am suprised that none of the AGR cars made it. That is a big shock. But, in Danica's and Tony's defense, they were running on repaired cars. Especially, Tony, he had his crash this morning so he had no time to practice with the car.

thats fair.....but did you honestly expect her to make the top 12

DanicaFan
11th July 2009, 20:01
thats fair.....but did you honestly expect her to make the top 12
I figured she would. I had her beating Ryan Hunter-Reay for sure, beating Doornbos, Viso, and Scheckter as well.

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 20:04
tag goes P1...nice

DanicaFan
11th July 2009, 20:07
The Fast 6 from Round 2 are..

1. Alex Tagliani
2. Graham Rahal
3. Dario Franchitti
4. Mike Conway
5. Justin Wilson
6. Will Power

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 20:07
p7-11 is going to very..VERY racy tomorrow...

Conway and Tag in top 6...very cool!

DanicaFan
11th July 2009, 20:08
The big suprises... Dixon, Castroneves, and Briscoe not making it.

And Alex Tagliani, p1??? :confused:

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 20:09
wish they had a mike on Helio.... that looks animated for certain

grungex
11th July 2009, 20:09
Helio's having a hissy-fit. :p

DanicaFan
11th July 2009, 20:10
wish they had a mike on Helio.... that looks animated for certain

I know. I want to hear what he is saying too.

Hoop-98
11th July 2009, 20:10
http://i29.tinypic.com/1zlys28.jpg

rh

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 20:11
actually p7-p15 on the grid is very very interesting....

championship contenders mixed with the raciest drivers and few who desperatly need a good run.....

DanicaFan
11th July 2009, 20:13
I will say this... the smaller teams should definitely enjoy this moment of success on the street/road courses. I am proud of them.

But when they get back to the ovals, lights out! AGR, Penske, Ganassi will take over and dominate.

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 20:14
6 teams in the top 6!!

thats very cool

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 20:16
I will say this... the smaller teams should definitely enjoy this moment of success on the street/road courses. I am proud of them.

But when they get back to the ovals, lights out! AGR, Penske, Ganassi will take over and dominate.

what it shows is that take away foot to the floor aero racing and put more importance on the driver and the big$$$$$$ teams dont dominate

NickFalzone
11th July 2009, 20:16

Right, AGR should dominate the ovals like they did the first half of the season. Oh wait.

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 20:21
quick predictions....?

I like Dario for p1

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 20:23
I said it yesterday... I'll say it again..

Wills Yellow penske is a great looking car!!!

NickFalzone
11th July 2009, 20:25
My money's on Dario.

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 20:25
quick predictions....?

I like Dario for p1

and there he goes...

will it stand?

DanicaFan
11th July 2009, 20:29
Congrats to Dario Franchitti for winning the pole !

grungex
11th July 2009, 20:30
Part-time Power smokes his teammates...

TURN3
11th July 2009, 20:31
How many yellows did Kanaan cause in the session? Looks like he lost 2 or 3 of his fast laps unless live timing board is just messed up. He is shown 20th now after being up and down 2 other times. He's behind Danica as it would appear...that must be embarassinig.

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 20:31
to Will:... should we consider you a part-timer or a ringer

nice

TURN3
11th July 2009, 20:32
Part-time Power smokes his teammates...

Yep, hilarious!

Going to be very dicy with Viso, Schekter, Tracy, & Moraes lined up along each other. Then you have Marco right behind. No matter what happens it won't be his fault.

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 20:32
my prediction for tomorrow...

too much yellow..... but raciest race of the year!

Easy Drifter
11th July 2009, 20:38
My prediction is so much full course yellow that the time limit will come into play. Results therefore will be a crap shoot depending on who pits when.
Probably around 50% under full course yellow.

grungex
11th July 2009, 20:40
The parade word needs to be added to this discussion...

NickFalzone
11th July 2009, 20:41
The last Champ Car race here was a parade and lots of crashes, I expect similar tomorrow. May be some more passing, and more crashes, simply due to the poor quality of the track surface this year. They really should have repaved the whole thing a few months ago.

FormerFF
11th July 2009, 20:43
How many yellows did Kanaan cause in the session? Looks like he lost 2 or 3 of his fast laps unless live timing board is just messed up. He is shown 20th now after being up and down 2 other times. He's behind Danica as it would appear...that must be embarassinig.

Yeah, I don't know what's been going on with him this year. I hope he can get it together soon.

DanicaFan
11th July 2009, 20:44
Congrats again to Dario for winning the pole.

Here is your starting grid..

Postion / Car# & Driver / Lap Time / Speed

1. #10 Dario Franchitti / 1:01.0249 / 103.532
2.#12 Will Power / 1:01.2851 / 103.092
3. #02 Graham Rahal / 01:01.3301 / 103.016
4. #18 Justin Wilson / 01:01.5157 / 102.705
5. #34 Alex Tagliani / 01:01.6980 / 102.402
6. #24 Mike Conway / 01:02.0090 / 101.888
7. #06 Robert Doornbos / 01:01.4419 / 102.829
8. #9 Scott Dixon / 1:01.4718 / 102.779
9. #2 Raphael Matos / 1:01.5348 / 102.674
10. #3 Helio Castroneves / 1:01.7954 / 102.241
11. #6 Ryan Briscoe / 1:01.8575 / 102.138
12. #14 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 1:01.9680 / 101.956
13. #5 Mario Moraes / 1:01.9704 / 101.952
14. #23 Tomas Scheckter / 1:01.8681 / 102.120
15. #15 Paul Tracy / 1:01.9730 / 101.948
16. #13 EJ Viso / 1:02.1577 / 101.645
17. #26 Marco Andretti / 1:02.2138 / 101.553
18. #7 Danica Patrick / 1:02.5839 / 100.952
19. #20 Ed Carpenter / 1:02.5907 / 100.942
20. #11 Tony Kanaan / 1:02.6556 / 100.837
21. #4 Dan Wheldon / 1:02.8411 / 100.539
22. #27 Hideki Mutoh / 1:03.0413 / 100.220
23. #98 Richard Antinucci / 1:04.5132 / 97.933

SarahFan
11th July 2009, 20:47
The parade word needs to be added to this discussion...

and 'fuel conservation'.... and 'pit strategy'...

and 'championship points'

what i hope we dont hear are drivers apologizing afterwards for a poor showing

NickFalzone
11th July 2009, 21:05
Franchitti 2 1/2 seconds off Bourdais pole run in 2007. I'd knock off half a sec for the poorer track conditions this year, Dallara still runs about 2 secs off:

Franchitti: 1:01:02
Bourdais: 0:58.55

The instant classic
11th July 2009, 21:28
No sir, I have to be working. AS I said at the start of my post, the thirsty Bud drinkers of Fla want to buy their beer in cases, and those are printed and cut in Ajax ON and I am the guy stuck with the run. My week off starts the following weekend so I am driving this weekend...

Also, my timing and scoring days are behind me. That and with Andretti's NOT utilizing the organization of BARC workers, my connections for getting me in doing something at the race are pretty much gone. If I go from here on in, I probably will be buying a seat. THAT would suck because for almost 20 years I had an all access pass to places the public couldn't be and I would chafe at being stuck in a Grandstand!!!!
ah ok
same here i aint going
i gotta work, need to pay off an engagement ring, and daytona last weekend
it's not big deal that i can't go i was thier in 2007

Alfa Fan
11th July 2009, 22:18
Congrats again to Dario for winning the pole.

Here is your starting grid..

Postion / Car# & Driver / Lap Time / Speed

1. #10 Dario Franchitti / 1:01.0249 / 103.532
2.#12 Will Power / 1:01.2851 / 103.092
3. #02 Graham Rahal / 01:01.3301 / 103.016
4. #18 Justin Wilson / 01:01.5157 / 102.705
5. #34 Alex Tagliani / 01:01.6980 / 102.402
6. #24 Mike Conway / 01:02.0090 / 101.888
7. #06 Robert Doornbos / 01:01.4419 / 102.829
8. #9 Scott Dixon / 1:01.4718 / 102.779
9. #2 Raphael Matos / 1:01.5348 / 102.674
10. #3 Helio Castroneves / 1:01.7954 / 102.241
11. #6 Ryan Briscoe / 1:01.8575 / 102.138
12. #14 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 1:01.9680 / 101.956
13. #5 Mario Moraes / 1:01.9704 / 101.952
14. #23 Tomas Scheckter / 1:01.8681 / 102.120
15. #15 Paul Tracy / 1:01.9730 / 101.948
16. #13 EJ Viso / 1:02.1577 / 101.645
17. #26 Marco Andretti / 1:02.2138 / 101.553
18. #7 Danica Patrick / 1:02.5839 / 100.952
19. #20 Ed Carpenter / 1:02.5907 / 100.942
20. #11 Tony Kanaan / 1:02.6556 / 100.837
21. #4 Dan Wheldon / 1:02.8411 / 100.539
22. #27 Hideki Mutoh / 1:03.0413 / 100.220
23. #98 Richard Antinucci / 1:04.5132 / 97.933

You seem to have accidently reversed the top 18....hmmm...its the only explanation I can think of!

NickFalzone
11th July 2009, 23:22
You seem to have accidently reversed the top 18....hmmm...its the only explanation I can think of!

No, DF had it right. Danica would have had the pole today, if only she had driven quicker. Unfortunately, she did not drive quicker. She'll get to the front tomorrow though, because tomorrow she'll feel like driving quicker.

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 00:48
On the matter of Danica, objectively, in view of her teams performance, hard to be full of praise or criticism. Of course, it is qualifying, race performances may/will be different.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2hoa643.jpg

rh

beachbum
12th July 2009, 01:02
Franchitti 2 1/2 seconds off Bourdais pole run in 2007. I'd knock off half a sec for the poorer track conditions this year, Dallara still runs about 2 secs off:

Franchitti: 1:01:02
Bourdais: 0:58.55And the point is?

How about this one on

2007 17 cars
2009 23 cars

Time difference between from 1 - 17

2007 1.685 seconds
2009 1.189 seconds

So, 2007 was faster at the top, but the field is larger and most of the field is much closer in lap times in 2009.

Most people I know don't watch numbers going around the track, they watch cars. If they race close, and there are more of them, they put on a good show.

Frankly, considering the Dallara has about 150 hp less and less downforce, being only 2.47 seconds slower is pretty impressive - especially for a car originally designed for ovals.

jimispeed
12th July 2009, 01:24
Don't forget, most of the drivers were in CART/Champcar.......

And, most of the drivers could drive the wheels off of even an old Hyundai Excel......

But I'll take the torque laden turbo open wheeler over any other any day!!!

garyshell
12th July 2009, 03:19
My long standing assertion is from one year to the next standing at the same spot at the same track the same fan, without the use of a stop watch, could not tell you which lap was half a second quicker, this year's or last years'.

Gary

And the point is?

How about this one on

2007 17 cars
2009 23 cars

Time difference between from 1 - 17

2007 1.685 seconds
2009 1.189 seconds

So, 2007 was faster at the top, but the field is larger and most of the field is much closer in lap times in 2009.

Most people I know don't watch numbers going around the track, they watch cars. If they race close, and there are more of them, they put on a good show.

Frankly, considering the Dallara has about 150 hp less and less downforce, being only 2.47 seconds slower is pretty impressive - especially for a car originally designed for ovals.

grungex
12th July 2009, 03:25
And if it's 1.5 seconds? Or could you tell if the IRL cars at 61 seconds are faster than the Atlantics cars at 64 seconds? When do you think it becomes noticeable?

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 03:48
And if it's 1.5 seconds? Or could you tell if the IRL cars at 61 seconds are faster than the Atlantics cars at 64 seconds? When do you think it becomes noticeable?

Atlantics at 64?

grungex
12th July 2009, 03:56
Close enough:

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=224511&FS=ATLANTIC

SarahFan
12th July 2009, 04:31
Danicafan:

I know you will be rooting for Danica....

but based on this weekends performance... and in light of St pete and Long beach

what are your realistic expectations for Danica next week at Edmonton?

will she improve over this weekends P18?
will i collect on my bet with a p15?
will she make it to the second round of 12?
will she compete for pole in the fast 6?

garyshell
12th July 2009, 06:56

Remember my comment was about judging those relative speeds from one year to the next. In that context I would bet that 1.5 seconds could not be accurately judged. I am guessing (and readily admit it is purely a guess) it would be in the 5 second range before the average fan could discern this WITHOUT a stopwatch.

Gary

TURN3
12th July 2009, 07:12
Danicafan:

I know you will be rooting for Danica....

but based on this weekends performance... and in light of St pete and Long beach

what are your realistic expectations for Danica next week at Edmonton?

will she improve over this weekends P18?
will i collect on my bet with a p15?
will she make it to the second round of 12?
will she compete for pole in the fast 6?

Will Michael Andretti & Kim Green realize that their mighty 4 car super power has been relagated to Dreyer & Rheinbold Light largely because of Danica and 2 of the other ers on the team?
Will the world wake up and realize that Danica is pathetic and not warranted of the attention she gets with a drivers suit on (not a swim suit)?
Will all this rubbish of her getting a high dollar contract in any series with a good team finally subside with the notion she's just a sideshow?

indycool
12th July 2009, 10:18
Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/664776

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/664808

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/664777

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/664774

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/664775

Toronto Sun:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/2009/07/11/10102366-sun.html

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/2009/07/11/10102386.html

Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/franchitti-captures-indy-pole/article1215278/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/when-reality-hits-the-road/article1214913/

Indianapolis Star:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090712/SPORTS0107/907120375/1004/SPORTS/Qualifying+a+disaster+for+Andretti+Green+s+drivers

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090712/SPORTS0107/907120376/1004/SPORTS/Part-timers+Tagliani++Power+qualify+in+top+5

beachbum
12th July 2009, 11:56
Close enough:

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=224511&FS=ATLANTICAlmost as fast as Indy Lights. Altantics should have been ideally suited for a street course because of weight and downforce levels, yet the Indy lights were a bit faster. Thanks for the link.

beachbum
12th July 2009, 12:08
Remember my comment was about judging those relative speeds from one year to the next. In that context I would bet that 1.5 seconds could not be accurately judged. I am guessing (and readily admit it is purely a guess) it would be in the 5 second range before the average fan could discern this WITHOUT a stopwatch.

GaryI wouldn't agree about the 5 second range as the Lights are only about 3 and 1/2 seconds slower, but do look slower. But there is a good point that going fast and looking fast are different things.

A fast car with lots of downforce may be fast, but if the car is really stuck, its lines are neat and it may not look fast. A car with less downforce may be sliding around and looking fast, but actually slower. Helios's last lap in qualifying was an good example. He was sliding the car noticeably and looked fast, but was actually not his fastest lap.

A fast looking car is one being pushed to its limits (and sometimes beyond). What number attached to that speed is less important than being able to see a real driver getting the most out of the car. Why do some fans not like the current ovals? Because the cars don't move around much when viewed from the outside. The in-car cameras tell a different story, but fans are clamoring for changes that would make the cars slower but harder to drive so they would "look" faster.

garyshell
12th July 2009, 16:14
I wouldn't agree about the 5 second range as the Lights are only about 3 and 1/2 seconds slower, but do look slower. But there is a good point that going fast and looking fast are different things.

A fast car with lots of downforce may be fast, but if the car is really stuck, its lines are neat and it may not look fast. A car with less downforce may be sliding around and looking fast, but actually slower. Helios's last lap in qualifying was an good example. He was sliding the car noticeably and looked fast, but was actually not his fastest lap.

A fast looking car is one being pushed to its limits (and sometimes beyond). What number attached to that speed is less important than being able to see a real driver getting the most out of the car. Why do some fans not like the current ovals? Because the cars don't move around much when viewed from the outside. The in-car cameras tell a different story, but fans are clamoring for changes that would make the cars slower but harder to drive so they would "look" faster.

But can the fan tell the difference from ONE YEAR TO THE NEXT while standing at the fence line? Sure you can tell from video. But can you tell from memory? That is, and has always been my point. People bemoan the changes that might lower speeds from one year to the next. I say no one will REALLY be able to discern the difference as long as the rules effect everyone equally and the competition among drivers is not diminished.

I am among the crowd that would LOVE to see the cars move around a lot more. Get rid of a lot of the downforce, add some horsepower, harden the tires a bit, and god forbid the racing might be slower, but would certainly be more visually exciting.

Gary

TURN3
12th July 2009, 16:16
It is going to take a real crap shoot to keep Dario from winning this today.

Reminds me, he was running away with it in '98 but his brake pedal started going long. Eventually, he overcooked T1 and did a slow spin stopping sideways blocking the track. Andretti & Zanardi squeezed through against the wall but wouldn't you know who comes flying around the corner next?! Yep PT, T-boned him and knocked Dario completely out and PT to the back of field.

Anything can happen but Dario is looking pretty much untouchable.

SarahFan
12th July 2009, 16:19
I agree Dario looks good for the win....

it will be interesting to watch the field today.....there are some hard chargers such as tracy and scheckter mid-pack....combined with championship contenders Briscoe, Helio and Dixon strung thru the 7-11 positions...

things could be very interesting if it doesn't turn into a fuel saving parade

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 16:26
Should be an interesting race, we shall see...

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ew04rm.jpg

rh

indycool
12th July 2009, 16:46
Speeds are governed by rules, nothing else at this point. Whether you compare this with that or whatever, that's the case. When Bill Elliott went 211 at Talladega, they put restrictor plates on 'em. Can the cars go faster? Sure. Safely? Maybe.

grungex
12th July 2009, 16:49
Are you saying that Dallara's are less safe at speed than Lolas and Panoz'? Interesting.

SarahFan
12th July 2009, 16:57
Speeds are governed by rules, nothing else at this point. Whether you compare this with that or whatever, that's the case. When Bill Elliott went 211 at Talladega, they put restrictor plates on 'em. Can the cars go faster? Sure. Safely? Maybe.

If there’s one thing Kanaan misses from his days in C A R T it’s the huge power, sticky tires, and massive downforce the cars provided. qualifying during the CART era was something to behold. “The big horsepower days…the thousand horsepower days…those were amazing times to qualify a car. The turbos you could hear so loud, the pop-off valves, the traction control…my pole position here in 1999 was a crazy lap.

“Everything was by hand; there were no electronics like we have today. And FAST. Everything was FAST. For people that run, qualifying in the CART days was like a sprint – a sprint inside the car. Your movements were just lightning fast. The only time you had to rest was on the straights,but think about it, with a thousand horsepower and seven gears you have to shift by hand…it was crazy. You’d leave the hairpin here in 1st gear, and with that power, the whole length of the Shoreline Drive straight would last less than ten seconds.

"So you’re pulling 1st, BWAAA, 2nd, BWAAA, 3rd, BWAAA, and so on. Your head would snap back every time you upshifted, and you’d just try to keep the car pointed straight with one hand. It was a lot of work. It was just ridiculous – an unforgettable feeling, for sure."

SarahFan
12th July 2009, 16:58
Speeds are governed by rules, nothing else at this point. .

absolutlely true statement.... but its clear its time to change the rules

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 17:33
Actually they had less downforce than the Panoz, about the same as the Dallara, definitely worse tires in those days , 1000 HP was a dream, 850 - 900 Q motors, vs 725(775 P2P) for the Panoz and 670 for todays car at sea level.

rh

SarahFan
12th July 2009, 17:41
Actually they had less downforce than the Panoz, about the same as the Dallara, definitely worse tires in those days , 1000 HP was a dream, 850 - 900 Q motors, vs 725(775 P2P) for the Panoz and 670 for todays car at sea level.

rh

thanks hoop.... doesn't change the jist of the quotes though does it?

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 17:51
thanks hoop.... doesn't change the jist of the quotes though does it?

I think the main thing was the turbo hit they had before Honda introduced driveability as a design factor.

The old XB's and Chevs had a bout a 400 HP pop that made them a big handful. Honda tamed that and made the cars a lot easier to drive, therefore more consistantly quick. However we are straying way far from todays race. Start a topic about this and I have plenty of info.

rh

NickFalzone
12th July 2009, 17:54
The jist of that quote (from TK at Long Beach) is that the cars were harder to drive back then, and in particular the throttle required a lot more precision. That in-car camera at the Glen of Danica's feet was very telling. Floor the brakes, then floor the throttle, no precision required. The Dallara Honda is an impressive piece of equipment, but it's been dumbed down so much by the spec (in the supposed spirit of equal "competition") that the best drivers can't shine to their full ability (great team or not), and the worst drivers seem a little better than they actually are. The new car can't come soon enough, and I hope that Barnhart sticks by his words and makes these aero components more open to the teams by the time we hit the ovals again.

SarahFan
12th July 2009, 18:08
I think the main thing was the turbo hit they had before Honda introduced driveability as a design factor.

The old XB's and Chevs had a bout a 400 HP pop that made them a big handful. Honda tamed that and made the cars a lot easier to drive, therefore more consistantly quick. However we are straying way far from todays race. Start a topic about this and I have plenty of info.

rh

how about this...

I'm frustrated with the audio and vedio feed from indycar.com..

I really wanted to watch from computer so i could put live timing side by side.....and post during the race...

headed up stairs to watch on TV...

enjoy the race everyone....

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 18:09
The jist of that quote (from TK at Long Beach) is that the cars were harder to drive back then, and in particular the throttle required a lot more precision. That in-car camera at the Glen of Danica's feet was very telling. Floor the brakes, then floor the throttle, no precision required. The Dallara Honda is an impressive piece of equipment, but it's been dumbed down so much by the spec (in the supposed spirit of equal "competition") that the best drivers can't shine to their full ability (great team or not), and the worst drivers seem a little better than they actually are. The new car can't come soon enough, and I hope that Barnhart sticks by his words and makes these aero components more open to the teams by the time we hit the ovals again.

This is not a Dallara-Honda phenomena, it is a post 2000 reaction to speeds phenomena. The DP-01 extended this trend to new heights, it did not reverse it. A new car could be "worse" in this respect, while having faster lap times.

rh

NickFalzone
12th July 2009, 18:11
Hoop, is this purely a function of safety? I think it's one of the worst things that has happened to racing.

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 18:25
Hoop, is this purely a function of safety? I think it's one of the worst things that has happened to racing.

Let's do this in it's own thread after the race ok.

Fastest Laps after 5:

http://i29.tinypic.com/2n0tszq.jpg

rh

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 18:33
10 Lap Rundown:

http://i25.tinypic.com/n201mc.jpg

rh

jackmart
12th July 2009, 18:33
poor graham, fasted lap but he is so far behind after getting hit. it looks like though maybe it was his fault for hitting briscoe though since the damage was on the front of the car

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 18:43
20 Laps:

http://i27.tinypic.com/23ti2rn.jpg

rh

SarahFan
12th July 2009, 18:47
It just got interesting

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 18:51
The clear run for Tags and Tracy should pay off after they pit, should know soon...They have been picking up 3 seconds a lap:

rh

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 19:01
The top 5 will pit soon.

Tags got out in front of Paul.

http://i26.tinypic.com/348156g.jpg

rh

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 19:11
I think Helio and Danica stretched it enough to make it on no more stops.

rh

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 19:20
Slow stop will hurt Tracy...

http://i27.tinypic.com/2mcagyg.jpg

rh

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 19:31
Everyone is good on Fuel to the end:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2q3ytza.jpg

rh

Alfa Fan
12th July 2009, 19:32
All over for PT

TURN3
12th July 2009, 19:36
I hope somebody breaks Helio's ***** neck.

NickFalzone
12th July 2009, 19:38
Helio turned into PT, twice, what a fake.

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 19:39
I hope somebody breaks Helio's ***** neck.

What did he do wrong, PT's LF touched his RF and jerked the wheel left.

rh

MDS
12th July 2009, 19:39
This crash between Helio and Paul shows why we need to get PT in the series full time. When was the last time the crowd was booing someone?

Also, when are they going to pull Ed's license? The guy is driving like the second coming of Marty Roth

veeten
12th July 2009, 19:42
Oh boy, another log added onto the Tracy-Castroneves fire. :rolleyes: :p :

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 19:43
Oh boy, another log added onto the Tracy-Castroneves fire. :rolleyes: :p :

Doesn't sound like either one of them are blaming the other.

rh

Oli_M
12th July 2009, 19:43
That was absolutely disgusting driving from Helio. I'm sorry but one hit is an accident, but 3 collisions is just plain dirty.

I've seen better driving from 10 year olds. No respect for him what so ever.

Mad_Hatter
12th July 2009, 19:44

rh

It's the second move that is in question. Justin Wilson was just in the exact same position and didn't take Danica out...

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 19:46
It's the second move that is in question. Justin Wilson was just in the exact same position and didn't take Danica out...

Watch, Paul's LF touched Helios RF, that jerked the wheel out of his hand...

rh

veeten
12th July 2009, 19:47
Doesn't sound like either one of them are blaming the other.

rh

not so much for the drivers, but for everyone else. Watch the posters start forming their demarkation lines. ;) :p

TURN3
12th July 2009, 19:48

rh

The aerial shot clearly shows Helio turning hard right BEFORE the wheels locked. What did he stand to gain there anyway? He didn't have the line.

Don't say stupid things. I know from your posts you're smarter than that.

NickFalzone
12th July 2009, 19:49
Hoop what I saw was Helio getting bumped by PT, then squeezing PT into the wall. The replay clearly showed him turning the wheel to the right after the bump.

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 19:52
Hoop what I saw was Helio getting bumped by PT, then squeezing PT into the wall. The replay clearly showed him turning the wheel to the right after the bump.

The replay clearly showed contact LF to RF making the wheel turn, later....

Mad_Hatter
12th July 2009, 19:56
Watch, Paul's LF touched Helios RF, that jerked the wheel out of his hand...

rh

It may have, but it looks like he still has control before the final move. I've noticed Helio playing this game several times during the past two seasons. I can't remember him taking responsibility for any one of them.

DanicaFan
12th July 2009, 20:00
Congratulations to Dario Franchitti for the win!

SarahFan
12th July 2009, 20:03
Classy call out to the moores from Ashley .... :)

SarahFan
12th July 2009, 20:05
Dario is a classy interview!

Ryan.... He'll of a race!

Power did his job in the end

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 20:06
It may have, but it looks like he still has control before the final move. I've noticed Helio playing this game several times during the past two seasons. I can't remember him taking responsibility for any one of them.

Probably not much use in me continuing to restate the same thing I have it on DVR and can single frame it, seems clear.

Here is the final timing snapshot.

http://i25.tinypic.com/2n0ok95.jpg

And sorted by Fast Lap:

http://i29.tinypic.com/vou79c.jpg

rh

NickFalzone
12th July 2009, 20:08
Pretty good race, tho a few too many desperate moves out there.

Mad_Hatter
12th July 2009, 20:11
That was a good race, but

the raceday rulebook leaves alot to be desired. What exactly is the deal with Dario getting a pitstop essentially for free? Is anyone able to clear up that situation?

NickFalzone
12th July 2009, 20:11
Moraes and Viso together, who would've thought.

TURN3
12th July 2009, 20:17
Probably not much use in me continuing to restate the same thing I have it on DVR and can single frame it, seems clear.

Here is the final timing snapshot.

http://i25.tinypic.com/2n0ok95.jpg

And sorted by Fast Lap:

http://i29.tinypic.com/vou79c.jpg

rh

FYI, I noticed about halfway through that live timing went bezerk. These are not the fast times as posted earlier in the race. I know for a fact Pt's fast time was listed at :02.1 and 5 drivers had faster times at that point.

grungex
12th July 2009, 20:18
If the idiot IRL rules didn't give Dario a free pitstop under yellow AND a free pass past PT none of this would have happened. How can they have it both ways? :angryfire

Nice that you're a Helio apologist, Hoop, but the fact that he didn't blame Tracy speaks volumes -- you could tell from his interview that he knew damn well that he boned PT, and hard. If he had at all felt justified he would have acted very differently, indeed. It was a pure scum move.

DanicaFan
12th July 2009, 20:19
Danica ran a great race.

And what in the world was Mario Moraes thinking running into EJ Viso at the end ? :confused:

TURN3
12th July 2009, 20:23
Danica ran a great race.

And what in the world was Mario Moraes thinking running into EJ Viso at the end ? :confused:

Yes, a big thank you to Danica. It was her that was running so slow that held up the majority of the competitive guys while Tags & PT ran out to a lead. Thanks to her, PT has this race bagged until the IRL and Helio decided that.

DanicaFan
12th July 2009, 20:25
Yes, a big thank you to Danica. It was her that was running so slow that held up the majority of the competitive guys while Tags & PT ran out to a lead. Thanks to her, PT has this race bagged until the IRL and Helio decided that.

PT and Helio were ahead of Danica when they crashed, how was it her fault ?

She ran a good race for having such a bad weekend.

Hoop-98
12th July 2009, 20:26

Might want to check out the lap times.

rh

TURN3
12th July 2009, 20:29
PT and Helio were ahead of Danica when they crashed, how was it her fault ?

She ran a good race for having such a bad weekend.

Ok. Might want to read the post again. . She wasn't involved but it was her that held up all the early pitters, Rahal and below for about 20 laps while Tags and PT ran away.

TURN3
12th July 2009, 20:31
Might want to check out the lap times.

rh

Might want to check my previous post.

I watch live timing while it froze up. When it came back online all the lap times were different. Use your head...you telling me Dario ran that slow yet dusted the field whenever he was in front? Live timing speeds are not correct. Danica's fast lap at the time was :03.9. I watched to see if PT could outrun the field before he had to pit...he did along with Tags.

SarahFan
12th July 2009, 20:32
Hoop.... Here's my take

Helio needed to nurse fuel and tires 38 laps .... 10 more than pt

Looked like he was giving PT the line then at the last moment changed his mind..... Initial contact is pt lf...... But final contact his helio hard right ...with rf to sidepod

Racing incident.... But with helio running for points and a championshipand pt running for the final win of his career he should of conceded the corner like it looked he was doing

Thoughts?

DanicaFan
12th July 2009, 20:34
Ok. Might want to read the post again. She wasn't involved but it was her that held up all the early pitters, Rahal and below for about 20 laps while Tags and PT ran away.

This was even more dumb than your usual posts.

She wasnt holding anyone up. They couldnt get around. Its a tough track to pass and they couldnt get a good run to make the pass when they needed to. Not Danica's fault, she ran a good race.

I may have to put you on ignore when it comes to the IRL because according to you, Danica cant do anything right.

mileman
12th July 2009, 20:35

Yes, I recall that PT and Helio were ahead of her. They were showing DP how the truly top level "competitive guys" race.

Hey - is it possible that Danica is only a few points out of 4th in the standings - after two straight road/street races? Yup. She's really starting to backpedal now. (Must be the trick car - or just dumb luck...)

This is all so entertaining, and I'm loving every minute of it. Ha!

TURN3
12th July 2009, 20:38
She wasnt holding anyone up. They couldnt get around. Its a tough track to pass and they couldnt get a good run to make the pass when they needed to. Not Danica's fault, she ran a good race.

I may have to put you on ignore when it comes to the IRL because according to you, Danica cant do anything right.

Look. I'm not blaming Danica or calling her out. She happened to be the driver holding up the absolute TRAIN behind her during that stint. Accept it...that is just a fact you're going to have to deal with. She took care of her car today and did her usual attrition run..got up to 6th. You see where she ranks when in the mix. The top 5 passed her and ran away from her...that is who she is.

mileman
12th July 2009, 20:42
Ok. Might want to read the post again. Insert personal insult here. She wasn't involved but it was her that held up all the early pitters, Rahal and below for about 20 laps while Tags and PT ran away.

This was even more dumb than your usual posts.

From what I saw, Rahal couldn't close on her. He just couldn't keep up with Danica's pace.

TURN3
12th July 2009, 20:46
From what I saw, Rahal couldn't close on her. He just couldn't keep up with Danica's pace.

Rahal couldn't keep her pace which is why he was .3 sec behind her for how many laps while she chopped him off at the TURN3 on each lap they showed that far back. I can't remember all the cars in that train but I believe Briscoe, Power, & Wilson where all back there. Maybe they were all in conservation mode, who knows, not my point. The point is she was the one in front and from timing and scoring appeared she was holding the group up. My point is, because of that, Tags & PT drove away and where able to put that gap on when they finally pitted.

jackmart
12th July 2009, 20:59
That was a good race, but

the raceday rulebook leaves alot to be desired. What exactly is the deal with Dario getting a pitstop essentially for free? Is anyone able to clear up that situation?

yeah it seems like they just make up things on the fly

TURN3
12th July 2009, 21:19
Found this on twitter...hilarious.

http://twitpic.com/a5flx

All things considered, fine race with lots of action. At least we fans can't cocmplain about that this time.

grungex
12th July 2009, 21:21
The photo you were looking for doesn't exist anymore

?

TURN3
12th July 2009, 21:33
?

I see that...it has been taken down. I copied it to my desktop but haven't figured out how to post it yet. I'll work on it.

Meanwhile, whatching the twitter traffic around the english speaking world and of about 500 posts, there is 1 person that sided for helio...an obvious idiot considering. Point being that an awful lot of people seem to think that it was on purpose and looking at the aerial view of the replay, frame by frame, pretty easy to tell helio was turning right before they locked weels.

Oh well, PT looked strong. Hope that'll get him a ride for jimmy's sake...then again he might fill in for moreas if they suspend him!!