PDA

View Full Version : WRC Transponder

M5
18th February 2007, 08:13
Just heard on the rally radio that the drivers/teams had to buy or rent transponders from the WRC org.

Anyone that knows more about this, and how much it is for one rally or a season ??

This is the reason for why we do not see all the privateers on the splits.
Stupid system, should be free so we can see them all !!

GigiGalliNo1
18th February 2007, 09:55
what is a transponder? sorry on thing i don;t know lol

Daniel
18th February 2007, 11:38
Just heard on the rally radio that the drivers/teams had to buy or rent transponders from the WRC org.

Anyone that knows more about this, and how much it is for one rally or a season ??

Personally I think the WRC should be free. Ford, Citroen and Subaru should just give everyone free WRCars so they can do the WRC for free.

Viktory
18th February 2007, 12:37
Personally I think the WRC should be free. Ford, Citroen and Subaru should just give everyone free WRCars so they can do the WRC for free.

that would solve the high cost problem for privateers! :up:

bowler
18th February 2007, 18:14

every entrant in a wrc rally has a transponder fitted (up to number 90 anyway).

the transponders are fitted to track the cars for safety.

any other benefit that comes out of that is secondary to being able to follow the car in case of crash.

not every transponder is capable of sending split times, so the top cars get those one.

M5 if you are serious about this I am sure that you can pay to have all cars fitted with better transponders.

J4MIE
19th February 2007, 01:08
Are splits really that important? :s

Barry_
19th February 2007, 02:32
from what i gather..the transponders are used for the actualy timing of the cars during the stage. makes it easier to get the correct time and to make sure that no one breaks the beam by mistake....ontop of that they can use them to track the cars durin the stage or off the stage..send splits lots of other stuff..but thats just what i think

bowler
19th February 2007, 06:17
from what i gather..the transponders are used for the actualy timing of the cars during the stage. makes it easier to get the correct time and to make sure that no one breaks the beam by mistake....ontop of that they can use them to track the cars durin the stage or off the stage..send splits lots of other stuff..but thats just what i think

They are not used for the actual timing. The car starts at the appointed minute, and the beam is broken at the end. Jump starts are checked by beam also.

Cars are timed to hundreths of a second, and a beam is the only way currently to be that accurate.

The car is tracked all the time, on stage or touring.

animrallye
19th February 2007, 06:40
Here are technical specifications of GPS system used during Rallye Sanremo 2006 : http://acisanremo.it/rallysanremo/gpseng.pdf

Micke_VOC
19th February 2007, 09:52
"Non-Priority drivers: A deposit (payable in cash or with credit cards) will be charged by ISC-T when the FIA Safety
Tracking System is collected. The deposit will be refunded when the FIA Safety Tracking System is returned safely."

From rally Guide 2 Swerally.

Seems to just loan...

Daniel
19th February 2007, 12:52
Are splits really that important? :s
Very much so. A lot of people here would have nothing to talk about if the splits were always working for every driver

WRC2006
19th February 2007, 15:09
Very much so. A lot of people here would have nothing to talk about if the splits were always working for every driver

What I have discovered here is that we are all addicted to splits time.

LastDitchRacing
20th February 2007, 02:06
When we competed in the Corona Rally Mexico, we had to pay a rental fee for the transponder. This was refunded on safe return of the unit(not an inexpensive bit of kit, I'm sure!).

There was a main box and two antennae. The small control box was placed on the rollbar within reach of the crew.

The button was pressed and held for a number of seconds and the LED changed to green, indicating it was transmitting a signal to the overhead plane.

I have no idea if it was tracking times(I doubt it on our slow little cars), but it certainly was operable in terms of a safety response. We were told that if we failed to press the button again while stopped on stage(for a flat, etc), within a certain elapsed time, an automatic emergency medical response would be triggered.

This actually happened on one of the stages when a Group N car failed to push the button while stopped(despite being ok). This shut the stage down, irritating some other competitors.

Cheers! John