PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to say, the IRL isn't going anywhere.

downtowndeco
5th July 2009, 03:30
Considering some forum member's concern IRL is in danger of imminent collapse I was suprised to not find this already posted. From the press conference today;

"TERRY ANGSTADT: Thanks, John, and thank you again for hanging in with the schedule today. We did want to get in front of you to not only provide a bit of a midseason update, but also clearly there have been a couple of changes around IMS and the Indy Racing League this week and wanted to have you hear that news from us, and answer any questions that you may have about that. But I will touch on a couple of other subjects, as well.

But organizationally, which is probably the most important, we have certainly -- we, being the management team, in fact, on both sides of 16th Street have received assurances directly from the board that they are pretty pleased with the direction and the management of the company.

And we have a pretty high confidence level in that, because we see the financial statements and we know if we are either achieving the plan or we're not, and we are exceeding the plan.

So anyone that has an appreciation for business knows, and we can talk about a lot of new, good developments and where we are going. But at the end of the day, you get an income statement every month, and you are either doing your job or you're not. We are exceeding sponsorship sales year-to-date, our budget to date by sixfold and our net income by fivefold. And again, not getting into specifics because it's a private company, that's pretty solid performance against the plan. So just wanted to bring some relativity to that."

MDS
5th July 2009, 05:14
Of course if you are thinking of changing management times you absolutely tell them that you're happy with the job that they're doing, and you keep telling them that right until you bring in their replacements.

Chaparral66
5th July 2009, 05:29
Of course if you are thinking of changing management times you absolutely tell them that you're happy with the job that they're doing, and you keep telling them that right until you bring in their replacements.

Damn skippy, MDS. DTD, you probably should put gospel level faith in what the company mouthpieces are saying. What are they going to say, that the IRL is going down the tubes?

Lousada
5th July 2009, 21:19
I wasn't really worried before. But when Terry Angstadt speaks almost always the opposite happens.

Blancvino
5th July 2009, 21:39
Considering some forum member's concern IRL is in danger of imminent collapse I was suprised to not find this already posted. From the press conference today;

"TERRY ANGSTADT: Thanks, John, and thank you again for hanging in with the schedule today. We did want to get in front of you to not only provide a bit of a midseason update, but also clearly there have been a couple of changes around IMS and the Indy Racing League this week and wanted to have you hear that news from us, and answer any questions that you may have about that. But I will touch on a couple of other subjects, as well.

But organizationally, which is probably the most important, we have certainly -- we, being the management team, in fact, on both sides of 16th Street have received assurances directly from the board that they are pretty pleased with the direction and the management of the company.

And we have a pretty high confidence level in that, because we see the financial statements and we know if we are either achieving the plan or we're not, and we are exceeding the plan.

So anyone that has an appreciation for business knows, and we can talk about a lot of new, good developments and where we are going. But at the end of the day, you get an income statement every month, and you are either doing your job or you're not. We are exceeding sponsorship sales year-to-date, our budget to date by sixfold and our net income by fivefold. And again, not getting into specifics because it's a private company, that's pretty solid performance against the plan. So just wanted to bring some relativity to that."

Glad that's all cleared up. I, for a while, thought there were some big problems brewing!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

NickFalzone
6th July 2009, 05:36
I'm glad that this press conference took place so quickly. What was said, needed to be said. However, I'm no more or less confident that the IRL will be here, and financially sturdy, next season or the following season. This press conference could very well be followed by another one 2 months from now in which someone in management says "We're sorry to say that the money has run out and we're currently looking into private investment as well as team management to make the 2010 season happen". I doubt that will happen, but it just as well could. The problem with this discussion is that NONE of us, short of a few people in IMS/IRL management, know the extent of the financial difficulties the league is facing. What we do know is that generally track attendance has been so-so and TV ratings have been in the gutter. I don't know how concessions are doing, but I'd guess they're also down a bit. Is the plan to just hold on, and hope things turn for the better? I know they have a few ideas to improve the quality of oval racing, and have some ideas of additional race venues next season. But what if these don't work? I do think that this is a series that is not far from the brink, despite a currently very high quality driver list and many quality teams. I don't want to see it close up shop, but I really do wonder if it can essentially "stay the path" and expect things to suddenly pick up profitwise. Short of spending a crapload of money on advertising or some other way to get in the publics face, I just don't see how small things are going to change the direction of this series in a positive way.

Mark in Oshawa
6th July 2009, 07:22
As loathe as I was to agree with Deco all that much in the past, on this one I suspect there is some truth to it. I don't think the IRL will do much one way or the other until at least next year. They will be tightening the belt, but I do think events that will make money will be given priority, and money losers or ones where they are not being paid (Milwaukee) will be dumped. Rumour has it according to Mr. Robin Miller Cleveland and New Hampshire are in play....

indycool
6th July 2009, 11:35
It's an old saying, but "follow the money" is going to be appropriate for awhile.

Chris R
6th July 2009, 15:00
I do not think the IRL is going anywhere right away - if it can be made profitable - or at least justify its existence as a needed support to the core Indy 500 race (moneymaker?) then it will be here for years to come... However, these are strange times so nothing would surprise me....

Bob Riebe
7th July 2009, 04:29
As long as the word, league, is in the name, I hope it keeps collapsing in on its self.

Mark in Oshawa
7th July 2009, 07:10
As long as the word, league, is in the name, I hope it keeps collapsing in on its self.

Bob, I think you and I agree 100% on this one. I always thought calling a racing series a "league" made little sense, and I remember when the IRL tried starting a season AFTER Indy and having it run with a big gap in the winter back to where the Indy 500 was the last race of the season. We saw how well THAT worked. Like most of the early IRL ideas, it didn't work in reality.

I think just call it "IndyCar" or bring back the "ChampCar" name.

I know some IRL stalwarts would bristle at Champ Car but the name goes way back into the 50's and 60's.

Chaparral66
7th July 2009, 07:31
It's an old saying, but "follow the money" is going to be appropriate for awhile.

I agree with you 100% on this one, IC.

electron
7th July 2009, 07:32
isn't it so that the series is the "IndyCar series" (logo says so too) and the sactioning body is the "Indy Racing League" ? This is how I understand it.

such as CART was sanctioning the ChampCar world series.

You can use very well the term indycar series for the product, i do not think thi is an issue by default. But the short IRL as a name for the series keeps sticking although maybe wrong in a legal way - sort of.

grungex
8th July 2009, 00:11
Am I the only one that sees the delicious irony in the thread title?

Chaparral66
8th July 2009, 07:04
Am I the only one that sees the delicious irony in the thread title?

No... :)

SarahFan
8th July 2009, 09:04
d....you have got to be kidding with this thread.... ????

it's a joke..... right?

nigelred5
8th July 2009, 15:18
I still remember nearly getting beat down outside of Slainte in Baltimore when I had the slash- NO IRL! sticker on my car.

Of course they thought I was anti-Ireland and didn't make the racing connection even though it was right next to the Newman Haas racing sticker

I agree if they would just drop all reference to the IRL and just refer to it as IndyCar and Indylights it might help with the mental hang up many of us have. i still think that a change to a new chassis would finally remove the legacy. Changing to the Panoz would just foster resentment from the IRL failthful still left. The series needs a clean slate for the equipment. They all need to be racing something that neither side was connected to in any way.

Chaparral66
8th July 2009, 16:13
I still remember nearly getting beat down outside of Slainte in Baltimore when I had the slash- NO IRL! sticker on my car.

Of course they thought I was anti-Ireland and didn't make the racing connection even though it was right next to the Newman Haas racing sticker

I agree if they would just drop all reference to the IRL and just refer to it as IndyCar and Indylights it might help with the mental hang up many of us have. i still think that a change to a new chassis would finally remove the legacy. Changing to the Panoz would just foster resentment from the IRL failthful still left. The series needs a clean slate for the equipment. They all need to be racing something that neither side was connected to in any way.

It probably wouldn't be too bad, Nigelred. Even a lot of IRL loyalists hate the cars. Bringing the Panoz DP-01 would be a breath of fresh air (well, compressed air, anyway). The Panoz is a clearly superior and state of the art racecar.

indycool
8th July 2009, 19:32
Panoz didn't build enough of them, nor was the car tested on ovals. Plenty of Dallaras were available and Honda's engine deal was in place. It would have cost millions more to use the DP-01. It would cost millions more to use it now.

Chaparral66
8th July 2009, 20:30
Panoz didn't build enough of them, nor was the car tested on ovals. Plenty of Dallaras were available and Honda's engine deal was in place. It would have cost millions more to use the DP-01. It would cost millions more to use it now.

What do you mean? Build enough for both Champ Car and IRL? Not much point at the time, anyway. But that's still a viable design. Yeah, it would cost more, but the DP-01 could function as the new design for 2011, and use that for a few years until a new clean sheet design is ready. The Panoz wasn't extensively tested on ovals but it was designed to do both at some point, should CC have made its way back to ovals. Testing would have been routine.

NickFalzone
8th July 2009, 21:03
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 2012 car will be a better overall design than the DP01. To me the DP01 is not the generation leap that I expect from the 2012 car, which ideally will have multiple manufacturer support. Then again, I might be overly optimistic here.

Lousada
8th July 2009, 22:30
What do you people want? First you advocate open rules, then you go on about a pure specracer??? Next you go on about innovating, then you bring up this specracer that was already outdated and unoriginal when it was developed??? Finally you diss the Dallara as being too old, then you go on about a car that is already 3 years old???

indycool
9th July 2009, 01:49
Well, Chap, you agreed with me when I said "follow the money" a few pages ago, and my point was that the teams and league don't have the money necessary to build more, purchase and test DP-01s.

Chaparral66
9th July 2009, 07:29
Well, Chap, you agreed with me when I said "follow the money" a few pages ago, and my point was that the teams and league don't have the money necessary to build more, purchase and test DP-01s.

OK, that's true, for the pre-reconciliation IRL teams anyway. I was talking ideally. But the new chassis is due in 2011 and I'm saying that the DP-01 would make sense in that it would save time since it's already developed for roadcourses, and the oval testing wouldn't take too long. All this would save a load of money from a clean sheet design. Go three years with that while the new design takes place.

gofastandwynn
9th July 2009, 10:06

Not to mention the p.p.p. reputation of Panoz made cars in the IRL paddock, the fact the no one knows what a DP-01 will do at 210+ m.p.h. since it has yet to ever reach that speed, and that all rumors point to Panoz/Elan being out of business in 6-8 months.

Not to mention the idiocracy of a "interim" or "transitional" car. The team owners are already struggling to put 20 cars on the grid and you want them to spend more money on a car that might only be competitive for a year or two? Why wouldn't most teams just save their money, and wait and see if it is worth coming back?

the DP-01 is gone and never coming back, but for those who want to dream...http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1618/248/73/703872327/n703872327_1095677_7770.jpg

Chaparral66
9th July 2009, 15:27
All I was suggesting was that since everyone is expecting a new car in 2011, why not go with one that relatively speaking got little use, is still viable, and can be made ready for ovals with proper testing? There has been, as of yet and in light of recent events and certainly the economy, no indication that the trek toward a new car in 3 years is is slowing down. A new car will be a huge learning curve and will cost everyone money, so my suggestion was the DP-01 which could save a lot of money in terms of development. The DP-01 is hardly a "transitional car", it is a race proven design that can easily be modifed to run on ovals. Hell, they modified IRL cars to run on road and street courses. We've been looking at the eyesore Dallara type cars for eons now, if the IRL wants to change cars on the 2011 target date, this is one way to go about it.

indycool
9th July 2009, 17:52
Chap, it got little use, there were only 25 or so built and no one knows (at least I don't) who owns them now. As for the widespread rumor that it's adaptable to ovals, it has to walk the walk instead of just talk the talk. Somebody on another forum posted that Elan is for sale. The G Force/Panoz was not capable of staying with the Dallara in the IRL If it was a second or two faster on the road courses, big deal. I've read postings and pronouncements from the mount that they're safer, but I've seen no data why. When all those questions are answered, we can discuss it with some true facts, not just what get off the ol' computer screen.

SarahFan
9th July 2009, 18:03
dpo1 aint gonna make an appearance in the IRL

Chaparral66
9th July 2009, 20:05
Chap, it got little use, there were only 25 or so built and no one knows (at least I don't) who owns them now. As for the widespread rumor that it's adaptable to ovals, it has to walk the walk instead of just talk the talk. Somebody on another forum posted that Elan is for sale. The G Force/Panoz was not capable of staying with the Dallara in the IRL If it was a second or two faster on the road courses, big deal. I've read postings and pronouncements from the mount that they're safer, but I've seen no data why. When all those questions are answered, we can discuss it with some true facts, not just what get off the ol' computer screen.

I understand that, IC, but since a new car isn't expected until 2011 (even though that would give us 2 more seasons with the current car), that's plenty of time to thoroughly test the car on ovals. That's the point, use this time to clear up those concerns. Since the car is already set to run road & street courses, you've just cut your development costs in half over what a clean sheet design would require.

Something I'm not clear on, maybe you can help: are Elan and Panoz connected at the hip or are they seperate? Is Panoz as a racecar builder still functioning or have they ceased operation?

NickFalzone
9th July 2009, 20:21
Chap, the new car won't be out until 2012, Barnhart confirmed that on trackside radio a couple weeks ago. Right now dealing with the DP01 would just be a difficult and unnecessary expense for the teams. Yeah, it's little bit better of a design, certainly on the road and streets, but it's completely untested on ovals and even if it was it's not that big a leap from the dallara that would warrant all the money needed for teams. TG gave the ex CC teams a great deal on the dallaras. If the series had any balls, what I would find kind of interesting is if they tried a parity deal on the road/streets where the DP was maybe detuned 50-100 hp and both DPs and Dallaras could compete. That would be good racing, but making DP the primary all-around car is not a good idea at this stage. And if you're suggesting using the DP as the "new" 2012 car, I think that's a terrible idea. They can do better, a lot better.

Chaparral66
9th July 2009, 21:00
Chap, the new car won't be out until 2012, Barnhart confirmed that on trackside radio a couple weeks ago. Right now dealing with the DP01 would just be a difficult and unnecessary expense for the teams. Yeah, it's little bit better of a design, certainly on the road and streets, but it's completely untested on ovals and even if it was it's not that big a leap from the dallara that would warrant all the money needed for teams. TG gave the ex CC teams a great deal on the dallaras. If the series had any balls, what I would find kind of interesting is if they tried a parity deal on the road/streets where the DP was maybe detuned 50-100 hp and both DPs and Dallaras could compete. That would be good racing, but making DP the primary all-around car is not a good idea at this stage. And if you're suggesting using the DP as the "new" 2012 car, I think that's a terrible idea. They can do better, a lot better.

That's exactly what I was suggesting. Why not? Yeah, I know they can do better, my point was in this time of trying to save some money while the economy sucks. I keep acknowledging the DP-01 is untested on ovals, which is why I keep saying it needs to be tested. This is purely in the interest of saving a lot of money on developing a whole new car. If things turn around by 2011 or 2012, then go with a clean sheet design.

Now, the idea you have about trying to figure a way to get both cars on the roadcourses at the same time by de-tuning the DP-01, that is very interesting. It would at least throw a new element into the mix that would generate some buzz.

Chaparral66
9th July 2009, 21:16
The question no one has asked is: will the Honda fit into the DP01 without extensive modifications, especially given the different cooling requirements because of the IRL fuel vs the CC methanol fuel? It may NOT be a plug and play deal and that would change the whole dynamics of this kind of proposal.

You mean the Honda Turbo engine? Everytime someone (Not necessarily you, Starter) says something can't be done, someone else figures out a way to do it. Nonetheless, your point is well taken, Starter.

nigelred5
10th July 2009, 02:05
I would assume he was referring to the current Ethanol fueled NA V8 honda supplies the IRL.

grungex
10th July 2009, 05:08
Forever?

Chaparral66
11th July 2009, 16:28
OK, I understand you better now, Starter. But if they go with a new clean sheet design, I hope they go back to turbos, but is that compatible with ethonal fuel? Hey, what if they took a cue from Audi and Peugeot and ran clean diesels?

NickFalzone
11th July 2009, 23:26
Turbo wouldn't be a problem, but they would need to plan the engine design with ethanol in mind. I believe Honda increased the engine from a 3.0 to a 3.5 when they went to ethanol, which is higher octane but the engine had less HP with it.

Chaparral66
12th July 2009, 05:53
Turbo wouldn't be a problem, but they would need to plan the engine design with ethanol in mind. I believe Honda increased the engine from a 3.0 to a 3.5 when they went to ethanol, which is higher octane but the engine had less HP with it.

OK, it sounds good. What do you guys think about clean turbo diesel engines?