PDA

View Full Version : Indy Lights in jeopardy?

NickFalzone
3rd July 2009, 19:09
I haven't seen anything that would suggest Lights is in jeopardy of being shut down. But what we do know is that the funds coming to support the IRL (which represents both IndyCar and Lights) will be dropping off over the next few seasons. What these cutbacks probably will mean are less cars on the grid, and perhaps less races per season... TBD of course, but short of STRONG sponsorship coming to IRL racing, the smaller teams just won't be making the grid, short of Indy one-offs. With that in mind, I wonder how long Lights can stay on. If you ask those in charge of Lights, they may well say that their series is stronger than IndyCar moneywise. It might even generate a little profit at the end of the day. But if it's still sucking up funds that could go to the premiere series, than I could see Lights getting dropped. Thoughts?

Scheckterfan54
4th July 2009, 05:22
IMO, the money is not going to decrease from IMS to IRL. IMS needs the IRL just as bad as the IRL needs IMS. The money wont decrease, it will just be spent in a more businesslike manner. If it does not make sense financially, it wont happen. Kinda scary to think what that "IT" could be. But, in order for the IRL to be a viable american racing series, there needs to be a ladder system for up and coming drivers to prove themselves in similar types of racing. As the current top drivers in ICS continue to age, where is the next crop going to come from...IndyLights.