PDA

View Full Version : Motorsport.com Most Popular Driver

cynisca
2nd July 2009, 22:25
You can post your top 10 most popular drivers. Drivers from the Formula One, of all-time. Your drivers on the list get points from your first choice (10 points) till your last one (1 point).

It's very easy, on number one is your most popular driver, on number two you second most popular driver and so on...

After a month I will add all points and put the list on here.

So, I hope you will carry on. :)

I'll start:

01) Ayrton Senna
02) Michael Schumacher
03) Alain Prost
04) Lewis Hamilton
05) David Coulthard
06) Eddie Irvine
07) Mika Häkkinen
08) Rubens Barrichello
09) Juan-Manuel Fangio
10) Alberto Ascari

Tazio
2nd July 2009, 23:49
Hmmmmm! Most popular. Not sure what that means. However JYS belongs in there! ;)

gloomyDAY
3rd July 2009, 00:34
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128360

yodasarmpit
3rd July 2009, 00:35
1) Eddie Irvine - Living legend.
2) Sebastian Vettel - Anyone naming their car Kate's dirty little sister is fine in my books.
3) DC - The local driver to support, the middle finger to Schumacher, and the three colours of **** quote :)
4) Rubens Barrichello - Always liked the guy.
5) Jenson Button - Great to see a driver outwardly enjoying the sport.
6) Michael Schumacher - Awesome driver, and loved his portrayal of the Stig on TG.
7) Ayrton Senna - Mind blowing driver.
8) Juan Pablo Montoya - Balls of steel.
9) Mika Häkkinen - Such a nice guy.
10) Ukyo Katayama - Awesome sense of humour.

yodasarmpit
3rd July 2009, 00:36
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128360
Different thread, popular and greatest are way different. However, the OP may have a completely different take on the subject. :)

woody2goody
3rd July 2009, 04:27
1. Jenson Button
2. Giancarlo Fisichella
3. Rubens Barrichello
4. Nick Heidfeld
5. Jarno Trulli
6. Christian Klien
7. Martin Brundle
8. Alexander Wurz
9. Damon Hill
10.Michael Schumacher

CNR
3rd July 2009, 07:23
Here’s a little list compiled of the F1 drivers and how many times they get searched on Yahoo each month.

1 Kimi Raikkonen
2 Fernando Alonso
3 Jenson Button
4 Scott Speed
5 Felipe Massa
6 Ralf Schumacher
7 Lewis Hamilton
8 David Coulthard
9 Robert Kubica
10 Mark Webber

Easy Drifter
3rd July 2009, 07:28
So far most posts seem to be very oriented to current or very recent drivers.
I will not post a list but like Taz think Stewart should be there. Also Moss, Jimmy Clark and certainly Gilles Villeneuve who was revered in most of Europe, more than in Canada.

leopard
3rd July 2009, 09:58
I think people get familiar with today's drivers, some popular names of older F1 such as Michael Schumacher, Mika Hakkinen, or Ayrton Senna.

I can still vividly remember some former drivers for their earcaching names although they were not best performers such as Ralph Firman, Mark Gene, Antonio Pizzonia, Heinz Harald Frenzen, and Jos 'the boss' Verstappen.

A driver coincidentally I can't forget because he ever drove for Prost Acer while at that time Acer was brand of my first mobile phone I could afford. He was Luciano Burti.

Above all, the most popular driver is still Michael...

leopard
3rd July 2009, 10:58
Jean Alesi was always pretty popular in every team he drove for... An unlucky driver but very popular all the same.... :)

Not really, Jean Alesi was not unlucky all the time, Mrs Alesi tells you that he is the lucky man. :)

markabilly
3rd July 2009, 13:31
(1) Adriana sutil-(is very popular and a fav of lewie)
(2) Me-(you don't really think that I would limit myself to only one moniker-mystery ID of "the Stig", do you?)
(3) Easy Drifter-Great jokes sometimes, sometimes NOT
(4) Jim Hall-greatest car builder who taught the aero way to F1, and drove a few races there
(5) Sato-He greatly contributed to making other drivers look much better
(6) Rubens-He greatly contributed to making me look great
(7) Ide-He greatly contributed to making every driver who raced F1 look like the greatest ever
(8) Alex Yuong-In second place behind Ide, for making other drivers look great
(9) dan Gurney-loved his gurney flap

wedge
3rd July 2009, 14:17
Mansell
Schumi
Senna
Clark
Nuvolari
Gilles
JPM
Kimi
Alesi
Sato

(anybody spot a theme?)

F1boat
3rd July 2009, 17:13
M Schumacher
Hakkinen
Alonso
Mansell
Senna
Raikkonen
Button
Hill
Prost
Coulthard

UltimateDanGTR
3rd July 2009, 21:25
I assume this is most popular with me, and bearing in mind this is not a list of who I support/supported most:

1. Juan Montoya-brilliant character! :D
2. Graham Hill-what a man!
3. Nigel Mansell-despite his disadvantage of a weight adding moustache, he still managed to become champ-eventually
4. James Hunt-another big character
5. Ayrton-big head and great racing skill, loads of balls and ruthless as hell. ultimate racing driver.
6-David coulthard-funny scottish accent, genuine nice guy
7-Jackie stewart-funny scottish accent, brilliant british ace
8-Michael schumacher-I vill vin at all coztz
9-Giovanni Lavaggi-Brilliantly awful racing driver at whom I laughed at mainer times
10-Yuji Ide-not only the same as what markabilly said, but always made me on the endge of my seat whenever i saw him within 100 feet of another car! classic driver! :D

Triumph
4th July 2009, 00:44
1) Lewis Hamilton
2) Damon Hill
3) Jenson Button
4) Nigel Mansell
5) Stirling Moss
6) Michael Schumacher
7) Sebastian Vettel
8) Juan Pablo Montoya
9) Alexander Wurz
10) Fernando Alonso

Subject to change, depending on what mood I'm in at the time and what the weather is like outside.

jens
4th July 2009, 14:00
It could be possible to select ten drivers for the preference list of current drivers, but a list of favourites of all times is overwhelmingly difficult, since for most of the existence of Formula One I didn't have to possibility to follow it. Of course sympathies may arise in retrospect, when studying the history of racing, but it's not really the same as cheering for a current driver and getting direct emotions live.

Anyway, Top10 list of drivers, who I have seen racing in live coverage and had the possibility to cheer for them live:
1) Trulli
2) Alesi
3) M. Schumacher
4) Sato
5) Vettel
6) Glock
7) Massa
8) Hamilton
9) Fisichella
10) Tuero :p :

Very difficult choice and needed to leave several guys out, who could have easily been in Top10 as well.

pettersolberg29
4th July 2009, 22:32
1) Nick Heidfeld
2) Sutil
3) Glock
4) Sarrazin
5) Fangio
6) Moss
7) Stewart
8) Button
9) Hakkinen
10) Webber

ioan
5th July 2009, 00:28
Just goes to show how short the memory (and knowledge) of most F1 'fans' is. :rotflmao:

Saint Devote
5th July 2009, 01:06
1. Jody Scheckter
2. Peter Revson
3. Nigel Mansell
4. Clay Regazzoni
5. Niki Lauda
6. Jochen Mass
7. James Hunt
8. Jenson Button
9. Johnny Herbert
10. Michael Schumacher

Saint Devote
5th July 2009, 01:12
So far most posts seem to be very oriented to current or very recent drivers.
I will not post a list but like Taz think Stewart should be there. Also Moss, Jimmy Clark and certainly Gilles Villeneuve who was revered in most of Europe, more than in Canada.

But remember this is not a list if a person thinks is the best - it is about our FAVORITE drivers. Therefore it has to be skewed towards those we know since becoming motor racing fans.

If, for example I had to list those I consider the GREATEST ever, Jim Clark would be at the top without any equivocation or doubt.

Today, with the sport the way it is, it would have been just fantastic to have Clark, Senna, Villeneuve around to comment. Such is the sadness unfortunately unique to our great sport of grand prix racing.

pettersolberg29
8th July 2009, 21:20
Just goes to show how short the memory (and knowledge) of most F1 'fans' is. :rotflmao:

I shouldn't rise to the bait, but just to let you know I've only followed F1 for about 10 years due to age restriction i.e. only 17. I'm sure a few others who have only put recent drivers in their list are equally young.

And also, as Saint Devote said, the list is of our favourite, not who we think is the most popular among F1 fans in general...

cynisca
13th July 2009, 09:21
OK, here is the list:

48 Points:
Michael Schumacher

34 Points:
Jenson Button

32 Points:
Nigel Mansell

28 Points:
Ayrton Senna

20 Points:
Lewis Hamilton

19 Points:
Sebastian Vettel

18 Points:
Rubens Barrichello

17 Points:
Mika Häkkinen and Nick Heidfeld

16 Points:
Jarno Trulli

15 Points:
David Coulthard and Eddie Irvine

14 Points:
Damon Hill

13 Points:
Timo Glock

11 Points:
Giancarlo Fisichella, Stirling Moss and Jean Alesi

10 Points:
Juan Montoya, Alain Prost and Jody Scheckter

9 Points:
Fernando Alonso, Adrian Sutil and Peter Revson

8 Points:
Kimi Räikkönen, Juan-Manuel Fangio and Takuma Sato

7 Points:
Jim Clark, Stephane Sarrazin, Clay Regazzoni

6 Points:
Tazio Nuvolari and Niki Lauda

5 Points:
Christian Klien, Gilles Villeneuve and Alexander Wurz

4 Points:
James Hunt, Jackie Steawart, Martin Brundle and Felipe Massa

2 Points:
Johnny Herbert

1 Point:
Alberto Ascari, Ukyo Katayama, Esteban Tuero and Mark Webber

jens
14th July 2009, 20:11
So what is the conclusion? That Brits have the majority in this forum - their drivers are 2nd, 3rd and 5th. :p : Surprising that DC and Irvine are ahead of Hill though - I suppose in "reality" it should be the other way around.

Roamy
24th July 2009, 09:25
Holy Sh!t I can't believe what I am reading in this thread. Is the the freaking amnesia forum!!!! Or maybe just harder than chinese arithmetic

GV
JV
Senna
Prost
The Cheater
Clark
Fangio
Andretti
JPM
Mr Marlboro and Vodka
Peterson
Gurney