#10 Dario Franchitti / Polaroid / Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#11 Tony Kanaan / Team 7-Eleven / Andretti Green Racing
#13 EJ Viso / PDVSA- HVM Racing / HVM Racing
#14 Ryan Hunter-Reay / ABC Supply Co. AJ Foyt Racing / AJ Foyt Enterprises
#15 Paul Tracy / Geico - KV Racing Technology / KV Racing Technology
#18 Justin Wilson / Z-Line Designs / Dale Coyne Racing
#20 Ed Carpenter / Menards-Vision Racing / Vision Racing
#23 Milka Duno / Citgo-Dreyer & Reinbold Racing / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#24 Mike Conway / Dad's Root Beer- Dreyer & Reinbold Racing / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#26 Marco Andretti / Team Venom Energy / Andretti Green Racing
#27 Hideki Mutoh / Formula Dream / Andretti Green Racing
#98 Richard Antinucci / CURB-Agajanian-Team 3G / CURB-Agajanian-Team 3G
#02 Graham Rahal / McDonald's Racing Team / Newman-Haas-Lanigan-Racing
#06 Robert Doornbos / Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing / Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing

DanicaFan
3rd July 2009, 03:25
I figured I would bump this up. Another thread was started after this one. We dont need 2.

underpowered
3rd July 2009, 05:56
I dont think there is too much chance of Ryan Hunter-Reay doing a double.

My money is on Dixon. He has owned this track in the past.

Dr. Krogshöj
3rd July 2009, 12:57
The first track in the season which doesn't have concrete walls all around the racing surface. A chance for Mike Conway maybe?

slashman
3rd July 2009, 14:50
Why is there no Friday practice??? seems kind of dumb to me!

DanicaFan
3rd July 2009, 16:06
Why is there no Friday practice??? seems kind of dumb to me!
One of those ways the IRL said they were going to do to cut costs down to the teams.

DanicaFan
3rd July 2009, 16:10
The Firestone Indy Lights will be practicing and qualifying today here at the Glen.

DanicaFan
3rd July 2009, 19:55
I dont think there is too much chance of Ryan Hunter-Reay doing a double.

My money is on Dixon. He has owned this track in the past.

I doubt Ryan will repeat either. I picked Danica to win but I think you will see Scott Dixon and/or Helio on the podium.

Hoop-98
4th July 2009, 15:53
10:55

http://i42.tinypic.com/2vagx9x.jpg

rh

SarahFan
4th July 2009, 16:19
hoop...

I'm on vacation .... Any #so you can throw up would appreciated

Nice to see Wilson near the top...

Briscoe for the win

Hoop-98
4th July 2009, 16:23
11:23 Briscoe in the 29s

http://i43.tinypic.com/2dig64n.jpg

rh

Hoop-98
4th July 2009, 16:36
Marco Steps up....Tracy having troubles...Milka is 3 seconds faster than last year...

http://i42.tinypic.com/m7fjm1.jpg

rh

DanicaFan
4th July 2009, 18:06
Been watching the qualifying. Danica kept moving up in speed. Always good. She got up to 11th place.

NickFalzone
4th July 2009, 18:11
QUalifying doesn't start till 4:30.

beachbum
4th July 2009, 18:14
Been watching the qualifying. It was only the first practice. Qualifying is at 3 pm Eastern

DanicaFan
4th July 2009, 18:22
It was only the first practice. Qualifying is at 3 pm Eastern

Oops, I meant practice.. my bad..

The IndyCar drivers just finished a practice session. Ryan Briscoe was the quickest. Here are the results..

Rank / Car # & Driver / Lap Time / Speed

1. #6 Ryan Briscoe / 1:29.7715 / 135.143
2. #10 Dario Franchitti / 1:29.9424 / 134.886
3. #26 Marco Andretti / 1:30.0892 / 134.667
4. #02 Graham Rahal / 1:30.2503 / 134.426
5. #5 Mario Moraes / 1:30.3020 / 134.349
6. #18 Justin Wilson / 1:30.4157 / 134.180
7. #11 Tony Kanaan / 1:30.4338 / 134.153
8. #9 Scott Dixon / 1:30.4947 / 134.063
9. #3 Helio Castroneves / 1:30.5572 / 133.971
10. #27 Hideki Mutoh / 1:30.5979 / 133.910
11. #7 Danica Patrick / 1:30.6576 / 133.822
12. #13 EJ Viso / 1:30.8014 / 133.610
13. #4 Dan Wheldon / 1:30.8392 / 133.555
14. #06 Robert Doornbos / 1:31.1722 / 133.067
15. #98 Richard Antinucci / 1:31.6809 / 132.329
16. #14 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 1:31.7804 / 132.185
17. #15 Paul Tracy / 1:32.0303 / 131.826
18. #24 Mike Conway / 1:32.3092 / 131.428
19. #2 Raphael Matos / 1:32.3355 / 131.390
20. #20 Ed Carpenter / 1:32.8942 / 130.600
21. #23 Milka Duno / 1:34.4816 / 128.406

Hoop-98
4th July 2009, 20:23
Group1 Checkers

http://i41.tinypic.com/ixdzxs.jpg

rh

DanicaFan
4th July 2009, 20:27
Ryan Briscoe ran a lap qualifying record in group 1. Danica makes the first 6. She is on her way to the pole.

Hoop-98
4th July 2009, 20:33
Ryan Briscoe ran a lap qualifying record in group 1. Danica makes the first 6. She is on her way to the pole.

North or South?

anthonyvop
4th July 2009, 20:48
Been watching the qualifying. Danica kept moving up in speed. Always good. She got up to 11th place.
WhooooHooooo. 11th!!!!!!!!!!!

Driving for one of the better funded teams in a spec-series!!!!!
11th place!!!!!
Yea baby!!!

DanicaFan
4th July 2009, 21:04
Darn, Danica just missed the Fast 6.. :mad:

The Fast 6 is..

Ryan Briscoe
Dario Franchitti
Justin Wilson
Mario Moraes
Scott Dixon
Graham Rahal

DanicaFan
4th July 2009, 21:08
Im not sure if Justin Wilson even used a set of reds in the first 2 rounds.

DanicaFan
4th July 2009, 21:12
I am shocked that Helio didnt make the Fast 6.

DanicaFan
4th July 2009, 21:21
Dario Franchitti crashes but he is fine.

DanicaFan
4th July 2009, 21:27
Congratulations to Ryan Briscoe. He wins the Firestone Fast 6 and is your pole sitter.

Dr. Krogshöj
4th July 2009, 21:33
WhooooHooooo. 11th!!!!!!!!!!!

Driving for one of the better funded teams in a spec-series!!!!!
11th place!!!!!
Yea baby!!!

Given the fact that she out-qualified Marco and TK today and she is the best placed AGR driver in the standings this season, she pretty much squeezes everything out of that team's equipment, don't you think?

Anyway, go Danica! :D :D :D And Briscoe for the win, he would deserve one at last.

DanicaFan
4th July 2009, 21:39
Here is your starting grid..

Row 1

#6 Ryan Briscoe
#18 Justin Wilson

Row 2

#9 Scott Dixon
#5 Mario Moraes

Row 3

#02 Graham Rahal
#10 Dario Franchitti

Row 4

#24 Mike Conway
#7 Danica Patrick

Row 5

#26 Marco Andretti
#11 Tony Kanaan

Row 6

#13 EJ Viso
#4 Dan Wheldon

Row 7

#27 Hideki Mutoh
#3 Helio Castroneves

Row 8

#15 Paul Tracy
#14 Ryan Hunter-Reay

Row 9

#06 Robert Doornbos
#2 Raphael Matos

Row 10

#23 Milka Duno
#98 Richard Antinucci

Row 11

#20 Ed Carpenter

Hoop-98
4th July 2009, 21:41
Checkers

http://i40.tinypic.com/30cy3he.jpg

rh

TURN3
4th July 2009, 23:46
Given the fact that she out-qualified Marco and TK today and she is the best placed AGR driver in the standings this season, she pretty much squeezes everything out of that team's equipment, don't you think?

Anyway, go Danica! :D :D :D And Briscoe for the win, he would deserve one at last.

First I'd like to ask what the record is for posting to your own thread?

Second, with regard to Danica's performances relative to her team, doesn't it seem odd in her contract year she is suddenly competitive for 1st time in her career? Wouldn't be the first time IRL has allowed her a trick car huh? Regardless, she's still mid-pack in a super funded car. I'd hardly put her in TK's league.

Hoop-98
5th July 2009, 15:38
Warm-up

http://i40.tinypic.com/x6e9du.jpg

rh

Chaparral66
5th July 2009, 16:30
I see Paul Tracy is moving up, his position on the speed charts is better. I don't know if he's raced at WGI before, but he's learning the track pretty quickly. I'd like to see him have a good run.

Hoop-98
5th July 2009, 17:17
Here is Paul's take on the Glen and a few other things...

Paul Tracy blog: July 4 – Reassessing Danica and Watkins Glen

The 40-year-old Watkins Glen virgin loses his cherry, gains speed, and gives credit where it’s due.

Whoa! This track is a lot tougher than I thought it was gonna be, having never driven here and just seen it on TV. Yesterday I told you that television doesn’t do the elevation changes justice. Let me tell you, five laps on a golf-cart doesn’t do it justice once you’re driving it with 670hp behind your shoulders. There are three or four corners here that are virtually flat in fourth or fifth, and if you’re not flat and committed, then you lose a ton of time.

The limited practice – we got an hour and a half this morning – didn’t help. It’s tough to learn a track and get that confidence level up. I was taking big chunks of time out every time I went out on the track, going quicker and quicker. But I just ran out of time to be at my best by the time of qualifying. I wish I’d been able to be in the test that a lot of the cars did a couple weeks back

I got a little bit of traffic – Dario – in qualifying. I came out of the pits with a set of red tires and saw him coming so got totally out of the way and let him go, and so when he did a quick one, he slowed down just as I started my second flyer, and I kind of got disturbed by him slowing. Then I had one last lap and made a mistake in Turn 1. Exiting it, I got hung up on the curb, and scraped the tub as it bottomed out, and scrubbed off my exit speed going up the hill through the Esses and down the long straightaway. I reckon that cost me 0.4sec to the end of the straightaway, which was really the difference of making it to the next group.

The rest of the lap was okay-ish, but I’m lacking a bit of entry and mid-corner speed compared to my teammate Mario Moraes, who’s been doing a really good job, and has been quick all weekend. It’s not a fault of my KV Racing No. 15 GEICO car; it’s me lacking a that last ounce of confidence to hammer it. My mistake in Turn 1 cost me a lot of time compared to Mario, obviously, and then he’s very, very quick in the Bus Stop chicane and around Turn 5. He’s flat from the middle of the Bus Stop all the way round Turn 5 to 6 to 7. So that extra entry speed he takes compared to me carries all the way. So I probably lost 0.3sec compared to him there. For the last few corners and the first two corners we’re back and forth as to who has the edge.

I think I ended up 0.8sec slower than him, and half of that was that Turn 1 mistake. The track’s so fast, it’s so much about momentum, that one mistake will cost a lot, like at any track that’s long and has long straights. Look at Helio: he didn’t put a lap together and so he didn’t make the cut either, and there’s his teammate on pole.

I’d say I was still learning the track, in terms of what I can get away with on what corners, and that knowledge can only come with experience. It’s been a year since my last roadcourse race – Edmonton last year – so I’m still blowing rust off, I guess. The flipside of not being 100 percent confident from the word go is that there have been no major incidents. I’m not going too crazy. The last thing we need to do here is wreck a car.

The soft red Firestones are a big difference compared to the blacks but it looks like they’re also lasting pretty well. Mario did three runs on the same set, and the last of them was pretty close to the first one in terms of pace. That’s a good sign that they’re holding up. We’ll see how they hold up on properly long runs…if there are any long runs. Our anticipation is that if there’s an early crash, we’ll go off sequence, and I’d expect Helio to do the same. That’s what it’s going to take to cycle towards the front, and hopefully once we get there we’ll have the pace to stay there, because it’s pretty damn tough to pass.

Speaking with Jimmy [Vasser] about our race strategy tomorrow, we share the opinion that it’s a case of survival, get the laps in, blow even more rust off, and with a good solid performance, we can have a top-eight finish. My gut feeling – and maybe I’m 100 percent wrong on this – is that there are gonna be a lot of guys out there desperate to get a good finish. They’ve been on ovals since Long Beach, and they’ve been struggling and wrecking – I’m thinking Viso, Hunter-Reay, Doornbos. So on Sunday, they’re going to be trying to make a big statement. None of them have been on road courses for a while, and they’re gonna want to show what they can do… Anyway, my point is, I think they’ll be causing some wild moves and door-slamming. If we can have a clean, smart race, I think we’ll be looking good.

So I’ve made all you Danica fans read through a download of my day before I get to the bit about her. (Ha!) Well, here goes: this is a tough track, way tougher than I thought it was going to be, and I am pretty impressed with how Danica drove today, and out-ran all her teammates. She was 0.2sec ahead of even Kanaan and put herself seventh, and I’ve got to give her a thumbs-up on that. People have been negative on her, or saying she’s only good on ovals. Well that’s bull, and today she proved it. This is a balls-to-the-wall circuit, and she did a damn good job today.

Oh, wait! Just read here on RACER.com that Rahal’s car flunked tech, so he’s been moved to 15th. I was just about hit “Send” on this column and now I discover there’s yet another person on the grid, right behind me, who’s going to have a major grievance. Oh crap, that’s just what we need…

rh

Saint Devote
5th July 2009, 18:06
Milka Duno in place of Tomas Scheckter at Watkins Glen?!!! The woman should not be on the same track as those at the front.

This is the only IndyCar race that I do watch.

The AGR team is really in the doldrums - Patrick is their star driver; Kanaan has had the stuffing knocked out of him by now; Andretti is only inthe team because he isthe bosses son and; Mutoh is the token Japan driver because of Honda.

Unfortunately this series is continuing to be a Penske versus Ganassi series with aged [Franchitti] drivers unable to make it in Nascar crawling back and drivers unable to make it in f1 or in Europe filling it up.

Nikki Katz
5th July 2009, 18:20
Hurrah, the feed on the official website is working today!

But why is Duno in for Scheckter? I thought he was in the car for the season, plus Milka's out of her depth on road courses.

Edit: Also, why's she qualified 19th when she was 2 seconds slower than the cars behind her?

Nikki Katz
5th July 2009, 18:31
Sadly the online feed only feels like showing onboard footage of Patrick today, who's somewhere in the midfield. The "leader cam" completely missed the change of lead.

DanicaFan
5th July 2009, 20:13
Congrats to Justin Wilson!

52Paddy
5th July 2009, 20:20
Glad that Wilson won and Dale Coyne got his first win after so long.

Not too happy with Moraes' driving standards (i.e. the incident with Carpenter.) What was he honestly thinking? It's as well that he was issued a drive-thru.

Q. Whats this team-mate blocking problem they were discussing on abc? I saw Rahal give Doornbos the fingers over blocking on the safety lap. In Indycar is giving a place to your team-mate accepted as normal at every race? I didn't quite understand that argument.

Q. At the last pitstop stint, Wilson initially lost positions. Dixon eventually became the leader after his own stop (then lost the lead to Briscoe.) But Wilson, at this point, was shown in the bottom half of the top 10. Then, within a few laps, Wilson had made up a huge lead again. So how did he get from about 7th position to the lead when the leaders had already stopped? Maybe I missed something. Dixon and the Penske cars mustn't have come out leading... :confused:

DanicaFan
5th July 2009, 20:27
That was a great race. Unfortunately the caution hurt Danica's pit stop strategy and she finishes 11th.

Here are the final results..

1. #18 Justin Wilson
2. #6 Ryan Briscoe
3. #9 Scott Dixon
4. #3 Helio Castroneves
5. #26 Marco Andretti
6. #24 Mike Conway
7. #13 EJ Viso
8. #11 Tony Kanaan
9. #06 Robert Doornbos
10. #4 Dan Wheldon
11. #7 Danica Patrick
12. #2 Raphael Matos
13. #02 Graham Rahal
14. #5 Mario Moraes
15. #10 Dario Franchitti
16. #20 Ed Carpenter
17. #23 Milka Duno
18. #27 Hideki Mutoh
19. #98 Richard Antinucci
20. #15 Paul Tracy
21. #14 Ryan Hunter-Reay

Tazio
5th July 2009, 20:35
Great final run for Wilson!
Prop's to him!

harvick#1
5th July 2009, 20:39
big congrats to Justin, finally someone other than Ganassi/Penske win a race, big respect for him

That was a great race. Unfortunately the caution hurt Danica's pit stop strategy and she finishes 11th.

what??? she failed to put the hammer down like the rest of the drivers on the in/out laps. she was 6th when she pitted and 11th after pitstops were done, the others just put down faster times when it counted

TURN3
5th July 2009, 20:44
big congrats to Justin, finally someone other than Ganassi/Penske win a race, big respect for him

what??? she failed to put the hammer down like the rest of the drivers on the in/out laps. she was 6th when she pitted and 11th after pitstops were done, the others just put down faster times when it counted

Absolutely correct. And...if it weren't for pit stop strategy, she'd never been up to 6th after going from 7th to 12th on the first lap. Good thing for her Rahal got caught out and Moreas screwed up or she's looking more at 15th where she belongs with her trick car.

Funny how she hasn't finished a good race this year without the benefit of pit strategy working in her favor and when she has to run the same strategy as the rest of the field you hear excuses that it was strategy that put her in 11th. It was Danica that put her in 11th...AGR has her in position to finish as high as 6th again and she failed again.

DanicaFan
5th July 2009, 20:46
I dont know how Mario Morae's car left front wheel stayed in one piece or didnt get any suspension damage after that collision with Ed Carpenter.

bblocker68
5th July 2009, 20:59
Congrats to Justin and DCR, they finally did it!!!!!!

Viso and Moraes need to be biotch slapped for wreckless driving. Marco makes a good moving chicane for the leaders, flag his cry baby arse too.

I have to say the ABC crew have outdone themselves today.

They:
Announced Justin had a 14 second lead when we could see it was 1.4 seconds.

Forgot about what was going on after the 2nd round of pitstops when all the jockying for the FUTURE lead was taking place, concentrating what was going on with Dixon at the front. I felt like I was watching Long Beach when they forgot about Zanardi in '98.

Never mentioning JW had 2 fresh sets of Reds for the race and wondering in amazement, how he could pull a gap on Briscoe.

Not taking the time to do any research on IndyCar racing. Mike King and crew was totally on top of things for Qually and then we get treated to this fodder.

Scott Goodbeer talking about not blowing a lead at the finish......nuff said.

harvick#1
5th July 2009, 21:18

I can only say they are the best crew ESPN has ever assembled :D :laugh:

DazzlaF1
5th July 2009, 21:49
If ever a team deserved a win, its Dale Coyne's squad, isnt that their first win in any category?

DanicaFan
5th July 2009, 21:52
If ever a team deserved a win, its Dale Coyne's squad, isnt that their first win in any category?

Yes, I do believe it is.

DanicaFan
5th July 2009, 21:56
I also need to give a kudos out to my boy, Marco Andretti for being a lap down and coming back to finish 5th. Good run.

Forum Buddy
5th July 2009, 22:35
Congrats to Justin and DCR, very please for you all.

underpowered
5th July 2009, 23:33
Absolutely correct. And...if it weren't for pit stop strategy, she'd never been up to 6th after going from 7th to 12th on the first lap. Good thing for her Rahal got caught out and Moreas screwed up or she's looking more at 15th where she belongs with her trick car.

Funny how she hasn't finished a good race this year without the benefit of pit strategy working in her favor and when she has to run the same strategy as the rest of the field you hear excuses that it was strategy that put her in 11th. It was Danica that put her in 11th...AGR has her in position to finish as high as 6th again and she failed again.

I agree, Compare her to Dixon, he was running in 9th, everyone pitted, he stayed out for three more laps that anyone, put in some really fast times, was fast on the pit in and out, pops out on the track in 2nd (he got passed almost immediatly to 3rd) 9th to 3rd during pit stops.....that how a good driver does it.

And thats not taking into account that the first yellow put him and Briscoe back in 13th and 14th on the first pit.

52Paddy
6th July 2009, 00:09

They:
Announced Justin had a 14 second lead when we could see it was 1.4 seconds.

Cheers for clarifying that. That answers one of my earlier questions. I couldn't get my head around how Wilson had built up a 14 second lead! That was bugging me all evening. :mark:

woody2goody
6th July 2009, 00:28
The commentating was awful. Never seen such a blatant lack of concentration for any road course race.

This makes the NASCAR broadcasters look like the BBC F1 team.

Anyway, I'm thrilled for Justin, and it proves what a damn good driver he is. F1 missed out in a big way I think, unfortunately, money talks and he didn't have any back at the end of '03.

wedge
6th July 2009, 01:10
Congrats to Justin.

He and Dale Coyne Racing really deserved it considering the AGR/Ganassi/Penske domination and also he's been having a tough time with the ovals recently. Hopefully the rest of the oval programme will improve.

FormerFF
6th July 2009, 03:30
Now we know why Wilson has been so slow on the ovals - he and DCR have been concentrating all of their limited resources on road course development. It makes perfect sense to me, since high speed oval racing is so much about car setup, that it would be difficult for a smaller team whose driver is more comfortable on a road course to get it done on the ovals as well.

HUGE congratulations to Dale Coyne & crew on their first win, and the same to Justin for his second.

FormerFF
6th July 2009, 03:34
Glad that Wilson won and Dale Coyne got his first win after so long.

Not too happy with Moraes' driving standards (i.e. the incident with Carpenter.) What was he honestly thinking? It's as well that he was issued a drive-thru.

Q. Whats this team-mate blocking problem they were discussing on abc? I saw Rahal give Doornbos the fingers over blocking on the safety lap. In Indycar is giving a place to your team-mate accepted as normal at every race? I didn't quite understand that argument.

Q. At the last pitstop stint, Wilson initially lost positions. Dixon eventually became the leader after his own stop (then lost the lead to Briscoe.) But Wilson, at this point, was shown in the bottom half of the top 10. Then, within a few laps, Wilson had made up a huge lead again. So how did he get from about 7th position to the lead when the leaders had already stopped? Maybe I missed something. Dixon and the Penske cars mustn't have come out leading... :confused:

On that last question - if you looked at the leaderboard immediately after a stop, you the position a car was in and the interval for the cars around it were inaccurate until the pitted car had completed its outlap and gone across the start - finish. I noticed that a couple of times while the leaders were pitting. I assume that has something to do with pit position and whether or not the pitted car had crossed the start - finish before it stopped in its pit box.

NickFalzone
6th July 2009, 04:34
I was at WG but haven't watched the ABC broadcast yet. I can say a couple things that stood out to me. One was Milka Duno, whose engine sounded really odd compared to the other cars. Every car would drive by and sound about the same then she'd pop up several seconds at the end of the field sounding like some Lights car or something, just odd. She seemed to do a decent job letting others by though. I'm not sure what Ed's problem is, if it's the equipment or his lack of road course experience but he was in a class with Milka for most of the first part of the race. He also was being good about letting others get by, which is why Moraes' move seemed so idiotic. He easily could have waited a turn or two. Ed was just trying to stay on the course.

As far as JW's win, it was great to see. He was clearly very, very happy with this victory and his whole team was the same way. I do wonder though how much of it was JW's skill and how much was the car. Because I have to say that his car was just dominating down the frontstretch, and really from lap 1 on he looked like the fastest car on the track. Not saying there was anything funny going on tech-wise, but he had the edge definitely.

Otherwise, it seemed like a decent crowd but not great. Considering the weather, I would have expected more. Lots of people walking around the concessions area just as the race was starting which I thought was weird. By a couple laps in most of the seating was filled except for maybe 1/3 of the front stretch seats. Maybe 20-25k there today. But honestly I didn't feel a whole lot of excitement. I've been to a few NASCAR races and there's definitely more action, but this WG crowd was pretty low key. I just wonder if maybe the thrill of OW cars is not what it once was. To me these cars, even the spec ones we're stuck with now, are way more exciting than stock cars at the same track, but to the casual fan, I guess it's more about the drivers and flash of NASCAR. If the IRL had some unique stuff going on with the cars under the hood maybe that would generate some interest, I don't know. Right now I think that at least for certain venues, something different needs to be offered to get the casual fan back. What they're doing now is really catering to a core fanbase but that casual fan that might like to see a couple manufacturers fight it out just isn't getting that.

NickFalzone
6th July 2009, 05:23
One more thing. There's a lot of people wondering if Danica's going to stay in the IRL. Personally I couldn't care less. But I do think she's going to NASCAR. I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but 80/20, she's going there if the deal is even somewhat reasonable.

Mark in Oshawa
6th July 2009, 07:54
Dale Coyne wins, and I am happy as a pig in slop to see that. I remember being at the 88 Toronto race and seeing Dale roaring around in an ancient Lola with a stock block V8 3 seconds off the pace. He knew he was David and Goliath was going to beat on him like a drum but he was going to do his damnest to be part of the show. Years later, he still is.......and now winning his first race.

As for the race itself, Moraes and Viso were just morons out there, but that happens in OW. The Visor goes down and the brain shuts off.
PT has a lot of road rust to lose, but as he pointed out, he never saw the Glen til Practice, which of course is kinda weird considering he grew up 5 hours away, and most SCCA regionals always attracted a CASC guys, of which once upon a time PT was one.

The broadcast? Well, lets just say it was the usual dreck from ABC/ESPN and Arute was the only one with a clue. When Scott and the gang up stairs couldn't identify Moraes hitting Carpenter without 3 replays, I know something is wrong. I could see it the first time I saw it. Silver car vs a blue car. Surely to god they memorize the cars by sight as part of their prep?

God help us what they will do next week in Toronto. About the only plus is Goodyear will at least make sure no one will say anything out to lunch about the host city/track without setting them straight.

BobGarage
6th July 2009, 12:22
I also need to give a kudos out to my boy, Marco Andretti for being a lap down and coming back to finish 5th. Good run.

should have had a penalty, first for blocking wilson then for blocking moraes for a few laps. shameful driving. i'm starting to dislike him just as much as I dislike his father.

DanicaFan
6th July 2009, 12:35
should have had a penalty, first for blocking wilson then for blocking moraes for a few laps. shameful driving. i'm starting to dislike him just as much as I dislike his father.

Negative. He was racing for position, not trying to go a lap down. I wish I could remember the other 2 drivers involved but early in the race, he and 2 others tried to go 3 deep and Marco quicky let off the throttle and backed off allowing the other 2 to gain the position. Had he not done that, a crash would of been inevitable. A smart, classy move by Marco. That move gained another good notch in my book for him.

And there is nothing wrong with Michael.

beachgirl
6th July 2009, 13:18
I'm starting to think that DanicaFan is an AGR employee.

BobGarage
6th July 2009, 13:35
Negative. He was racing for position

He wasn't racing for position at all. The nearest car to him, in terms of position, was at least half a lap in front.

The leaders of the race came to pass him and, instead of doing the right thing and let them pass, he blocked Wilson. That led Briscoe to catch up and nearly pass wilson.

Yes, the incident that put Marco that far down wasn't his fault, and I wouldnt blame him for being pissed off for being that far behind because of it. But to block the leaders is unacceptable. He was not racing for position and was not (anywhere near) as fast as the leaders.

In the end, he made the lap back anyway under the first yellow, so there was absolutley no point blocking Wilson to try and stay on the lead lap.

Must hurt for an AGR fan when even Dale Coyne Racing can win a race this season when AGR cannot ;)

chuck34
6th July 2009, 14:59
Negative. He was racing for position, not trying to go a lap down. I wish I could remember the other 2 drivers involved but early in the race, he and 2 others tried to go 3 deep and Marco quicky let off the throttle and backed off allowing the other 2 to gain the position. Had he not done that, a crash would of been inevitable. A smart, classy move by Marco. That move gained another good notch in my book for him.

And there is nothing wrong with Michael.

Perhaps an argument could be made for what he did to the leader (although I still think it was un-professional at the least, and dangerous at the worst). But why in the world would he block Mario like that? He was already lapped. Holding up the 4th? place guy is totally uncalled for.

As far as I can tell Marco has never made a smart, or classy move in his life. Just like his dad.

Mark in Oshawa
6th July 2009, 15:37
Marco lets his emotions dictate how he deals with other drivers and it usually makes him look bad.

Holding up the leaders for no good reason (staying on the lead lap may sound like one, but when they are pulling a second a lap on you, you are just delusional) other than a temper tantrum is just silly.

No wonder Mikey sits on Danica's ear all race. He cant likely calm Marco down any more than the crew chief's he had could calm HIM down.

bblocker68
6th July 2009, 15:44
He was the first car that was a lap down. He'd be waved around when the yellow comes out. It was not very classy to block the leaders. I wish they'd enforce the blue flag a litter tougher in the meetings when it's not being acknowledged.

As for his tussle with Moraes, I think their Indy500 wreck may have played a role in that. Perhaps he was thinking "payback". Either way, he should have been penalized for being reckless.

elis
6th July 2009, 20:57
I wish I could remember the other 2 drivers involved but early in the race, he and 2 others tried to go 3 deep and Marco quicky let off the throttle and backed off allowing the other 2 to gain the position. Had he not done that, a crash would of been inevitable. A smart, classy move by Marco. That move gained another good notch in my book for him..

That was Wilson & Brisco who he went 3 wide with.. & there is nothing classy about racing with the leaders when you are not one of them.. Nor it has to be said, is constantly whining about the actions of others when you pull such ridiculous stunts yourself. It simply gives a pot calling kettle scenario & greatly diminishes the validity of his own scathing claims against others. imo

jimispeed
6th July 2009, 21:56
That was Wilson & Brisco who he went 3 wide with.. & there is nothing classy about racing with the leaders when you are not one of them.. Nor it has to be said, is constantly whining about the actions of others when you pull such ridiculous stunts yourself. It simply gives a pot calling kettle scenario & greatly diminishes the validity of his own scathing claims against others. imo

I can understand him not wanting to go a lap down, but he almost took himself out on that one!!

DanicaFan
6th July 2009, 22:20

Thanks. I couldnt remember who they were. But it was a classy move by Marco to back off and let them have the position. They werent going to, so like I said, had he not, a crash would of resulted.

garyshell
6th July 2009, 22:50
Thanks. I couldnt remember who they were. But it was a classy move by Marco to back off and let them have the position. They werent going to, so like I said, had he not, a crash would of resulted.

A classy move with folks who he was actually in contention. Followed latter by a boneheaded move with folks who he wasn't even close to being in contention with.

Gary

harvick#1
6th July 2009, 23:44
take the rose-colored glasses of DF. Marco was being an idiot on the track, and holding up Moreas was insane, the IRL needed to give him a warning to let him around. someone needs to beat the crap out of him so he can get his head out of the sky and get back to reality. his little "I'm always right, your always wrong" attitude worse than Danica's. that little shunt at Indy with Moreas was 100% Marco's fault and his alone, he needs to grow up alittle, but hes an Andretti, so prolly not, only John seemed to be the responsible one in that Family and admitting mistakes

BobGarage
6th July 2009, 23:55

a classy move would have been marco letting wilson by when he approached him.

instead he held wilson up, which resulted in briscoe catching up and ended with the three wide which almost took all three of them out of the race. That was NOT a classy move!

ykiki
7th July 2009, 00:19

I'm sorry, but I've had enough. WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!!! Marco was getting in the way of the leaders and nearly chopped off Wilson's nose as he was heading into a turn. That is not class, that's crass. He's upset over the earlier incident and is taking his frustration out on the leader who is coming up to lap him.

The class is with Wilson and Briscoe not giving the finger to Marco as they worked their way by.

ok - I feel better now.

TURN3
7th July 2009, 00:53
I'm sorry, but I've had enough. WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!!! Marco was getting in the way of the leaders and nearly chopped off Wilson's nose as he was heading into a turn. That is not class, that's crass. He's upset over the earlier incident and is taking his frustration out on the leader who is coming up to lap him.

The class is with Wilson and Briscoe not giving the finger to Marco as they worked their way by.

ok - I feel better now.

Well put considering the restraint that must be used in a public forum. I think it is easy to see there is 1 poster in particular that you just can't talk reality too. It has been that way for at least the past 2 1/2 seasons and it is more than just frustrating, it is (hold on while I get my thesarus)...uhhh dumb to say some things that are said. Whatever though, not sure how proud I'd be to be wrong about 99.9999% of the time but some keep trying. Have they no pride?

Easy Drifter
7th July 2009, 01:26
Nobody has mentioned it and certainly not the useless commentators, but there was a flag waved from the starters stand when Marco was holding up the leaders. I couldn't see the colour but I expect it was the blue.
Marco seems to have a real attitude problem but then so did Michael. Heck, I saw that back many years ago when he was running in Formula Ford!
One time at Nelson Ledges he was being a complete ignorant twerp.

beachgirl
7th July 2009, 01:28
Well put considering the restraint that must be used in a public forum. I think it is easy to see there is 1 poster in particular that you just can't talk reality too. It has been that way for at least the past 2 1/2 seasons and it is more than just frustrating, it is (hold on while I get my thesarus)...uhhh dumb to say some things that are said. Whatever though, not sure how proud I'd be to be wrong about 99.9999% of the time but some keep trying. Have they no pride?

No. No sense of reality either.

NickFalzone
7th July 2009, 01:57
DF, seriously are you employed by AGR in one way or another? I know you work security at some races, just wondering if it's AGR related. Considering Marco finished 5th, I think he was doing something right by trying to stay ahead of Moraes. But watching from the track, he definitely was the most difficult lap car to get around all day and even the leaders were having difficulty. I didn't follow how the yellows fell in his favor, but someone above said since he's the first car a lap down he'd get it back. There's no lucky dog in Indycar, so that didn't happen. But he did make it back with the pits I guess. My guess is that the frustration Moraes had with Marco is what led to the Carpenter/Dario incident.

One thing that maybe others didn't catch on tv is that Dario actually briefly made his lap back around lap 40ish, and was 70 seconds behind. This was at least according to the track scoring. One of the final cautions messed that up and put him back to a lap down.