PDA

View Full Version : Does this one sentence predict the future?

IndyCarFan
1st July 2009, 22:57
In the IndyStar article about Tony George's departure as CEO it says "He was asked to remain in charge of the IRL but declined."

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but my take on this is that Tony knows the sisters are tired of spending money on the IRL. Tony has already stated that the IRL has never turned a profit. Without a title sponsor and some really profitable races other than Indy it probably never will turn a profit. If the sisters are going to turn off the money flow it's only a matter of time before the IRL goes belly up. The team owners know this and that's why they all threw their support behind Tony when this story first broke back in May. Tony is in the best position right now to know what's coming and he's already taken what he thinks is the best course of action. The only other option I can see is the family selling the IRL. Potential buyers would be limited to the France family (returning it to an oval only series to add more races to the ISC tracks), the teams (ala CART) or a deep pocketed person(s) who likes racing and would enjoy having a racing series as a "toy".

Just a little theory based on my reading between the lines. If anyone cares to comment or add to it feel free.

NickFalzone
1st July 2009, 23:12
That's possible, but as you said it's one interpretation out of many. I think that TG turned down IRL leadership because there's an obvious lack of confidence in his abilities and he knows that it would not be good for the league to have essentially a shamed stooge continue with the reigns. The only shot this series has is with the new leadership and with the hope that the cash flow from IMS is reduced moderately, and not in a substantial way. Until those in charge confirm the degree to which they will (or will not) be propping up the IRL, it's impossible to say whether it can survive on a longterm basis. I still think that they will continue support through the Centennial Era. But Tony's 2013 date for profitability was probably an accurate one from inside that family. If the series is not supporting itself by that point, then it's toast.

call_me_andrew
2nd July 2009, 02:55
I think TG is ashamed. The IRL has become the second comming of CART and he's ashamed of it.

A fan at Mid-Ohio told him he wanted more road races, and TG just responded with a death glare.

CCWS77
3rd July 2009, 02:47
He is not interesting in racing if it doesn't include his personal control over the Indy 500 venue? Doesn't that just kind of say it all, really?

beachgirl
3rd July 2009, 18:16
Maybe TG is just plain burned out. Being in a family business, regardless of the size of the family business, is stressful at the very best of times. There's no such thing as "leaving the office and going home". You're in that business 24/7, 365. Spouses are expected to "intercede" with "recalcitrant" family members. Family dinners, Christmas, whatever, forget it. Been there, done that, won't ever go back.

Personally, I don't blame him at all for taking time out, away, and maybe forever.

The same people who were screaming for his head a year ago are now saying the IRL is doomed because he's gone. You can't have it both ways.

Jonesi
3rd July 2009, 18:36
The same people who were screaming for his head a year ago are now saying the IRL is doomed because he's gone. You can't have it both ways.

Yes you can! There are many people that said he wasn't capable to run the ship, but once he's made himself Captain, taken the ship into dangerous waters, hit an iceberg and it's sinking. You either stay with the ship and save it, or go down with it! Captains are not allowed in the first lifeboat! IRL is doomed not because he's gone, but because the $ faucet has been turned off.