PDA

View Full Version : Espn ???

tstran17_88
17th February 2007, 21:21
I know it's the first race back for them but I'm not too geeked about their return as of yet. I guess it's me, but I like guys who know a little bit about racing, talking to me about racing. I'm glad to see Doctor Punch back, and Rusty is right where he belongs because he was brutal covering the IRL. And A. Bestwick is the best is the biz if you ask me, but what the heck does Brent Musberger and Brad Dougherty know about Nascar? Maybe more than I do, but it just seems weird listening to them talking about racing.

slorydn1
17th February 2007, 21:47
It would be nice if Jerry Punch could keep straight that the 21 is owned by RCR and not KHI

harvick#1
17th February 2007, 21:48
I'm glad ESPN is back but they need racing annoucers, not 2 College Basketball announcers and a dumbass who doesn't know anything. not many commercials and all in all a good race

dont_be_jack
17th February 2007, 22:09
I'll be honest - Rusty isn't good on television at all. He doesn't understand how to properly describe what's going on by just talking. It's terrible no matter what he's providing commentary for. Dougherty was an owner in a team a few years ago and has worked with NASCAR on different committees so he has some idea what he's talking about on the business end of the deal.

Sparky1329
17th February 2007, 22:10
All I know is it was way better than having to listen to a Waltrip.

RacinFanRob
18th February 2007, 00:40
I'm willing to give them a chance. After all, it was their first broadcast together. BUT..

I'm not waiting forever for them to get better. To be honest, that was brutal today in the booth. I love Jerry Punch. He's my all time favorite pit reporter, and to me, that's what he does best. Howeve, we had to listen to Crusty Wallace run his mouth nonstop and not say anything knowledgeable the entire race. He simply ran over Dr. Punch whenever he felt like it. And Jerry didn't help either, it was like listening to two color guys the whole race without a true lead announcer. The ex crew chief guy was okay..WHEN he got a chance to talk.

Right now, I'd put Jerry back in the pits as lead guy there. There's no one better. I'd switch Jerry out with Bestwick. Bestwick back in the booth as the lead guy would be a 100% improvement in the broadcast. And why is Jamie Little doing pit reporting for Nascar broadcasts now? She was awful with the IRL broadcasts and she isn't any better now.

slorydn1
18th February 2007, 00:51
why is Jamie Little doing pit reporting for Nascar broadcasts now? She was awful with the IRL broadcasts and she isn't any better now.

That may be true, but she sure is easy on the eyes! :beer:

dont_be_jack
18th February 2007, 02:09
Bestwick would be great in the booth. He was excellent on the broadcasts on TNT when the Busch Series was away from the Nextel Cup event and could handle the races well. Plus, his voice works out great for commentary.

call_me_andrew
18th February 2007, 03:56
I guess we all should have expected them to be a little rusty after 5 years.

That's not an attempted pun or anything.

dont_be_jack
18th February 2007, 04:37
I guess we all should have expected them to be a little rusty after 5 years.

That's not an attempted pun or anything.

Not really. They've had quite a long time to organize a team, get them together and working together well, and give us a good broadcast. Granted, it may have been the first one, but still, it can be smoother. Fox's first broadcast back in 2001 was great, even if it was a sad day.

tstran17_88
18th February 2007, 17:18
All I know is it was way better than having to listen to a Waltrip.
What? And miss boogity, boogity, boogity??? :laugh:

harvick#1
18th February 2007, 17:56
I wish Dickie V would do NASCAR? :D

it gonna be awesome Baby :D

tstran17_88
19th February 2007, 01:34
I wish Dickie V would do NASCAR? :D

it gonna be awesome Baby :D You gotta be kidding??? They'd be better off getting the Mexican announcer from soccer that yells "goal, goal, goal" in english. I'd rather rip my ears off than listen to Dickie V! :laugh:

harvick#1
19th February 2007, 01:45
Its UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

tstran17_88
19th February 2007, 01:54
You do know if Dickie V was gay...he'd be having relations with Coach K, Dean Smith, Rick Pitino and Bobby Knight as we speak because he's in love with them?

Sparky1329
19th February 2007, 04:40
What? And miss boogity, boogity, boogity??? :laugh:

I only wish we had the chance to miss that. ;)

BobbyC
19th February 2007, 16:48
Daugherty was a well-known fan of King Richard to the point as a Tar Heel and later as a Cav, he wore #43 to honor King Richard.

He also owned trucks in the NCTS for the late Kenny Irwin and later fielded (with an Ohio car dealer) trucks for Kevin Harvick. It was Harvick's performance in Daugherty-owned trucks which gave Richard Childress the opportunity to sign Happy to his Daytona 500 glory.

He also served as a National Stock Car Racing Commission official, and was one of the three panelists who upheld NASCAR's $10,000 fine and 25-point penalty to Dale Earnhardt Jnr for his use of obscenities.

So he isn't just a fan -- he knows his racing from fielding trucks and officiating appeals panels.

Punch has also been a hoopster on the calling front.

R. Mears
19th February 2007, 17:23
Perhaps you guys would rather have Howard Cosell and John Madden? :D :s mokin:
ESPN is desperate in more ways than 1.

harvick#1
19th February 2007, 17:30
John Madden, Lee Corso, Dickie V.

what would all their reactions have been for the final lap at Daytona

R. Mears
19th February 2007, 17:33
Well for Madden it would be BOOM!!,POP!!,BOOM!!,POP!!BOOM!!

Sparky1329
19th February 2007, 17:40
Madden would probably be a show all by himself. :D

tstran17_88
19th February 2007, 19:29
You'd miss half the race with all the scribbling Madden does on the teleprompter.