PDA

View Full Version : 2010 season to open in Brazil

NickFalzone
30th June 2009, 01:47
This is from Bruce Martin at Versus. Says season opener in Brazil, and VW and Audi disagreeing with Honda on new engine formula:

INDYCAR WILL OPEN 2010 SEASON IN BRAZIL
For years, the IndyCar Series has featured some of the top race drivers from Brazil. Beginning in 2010, IndyCar will be able to showcase that talent in their homeland.

As reported in last week, IndyCar will stage a race in Brazil in 2010. That race will be the season-opener in March, Terry Angstadt, IndyCar Series president, commercial division, indicated last week.

“The venue hasn’t been determined yet and I was with Alessandro Teixeira on Friday, the president of APEX Brazil (the ethanol fuel supplier to IndyCar) and he wanted to send the message they are very interested in us racing there, they want to support it as well and wants us to keep an open mind regarding venues,” Angstadt said. I’m 90 percent there. “It’s that close, but we don’t confirm them until they’re signed. They have a sanctioning agreement in their hands, so they’ve got the documents.”

The venues under consideration are in Ribeirao Preto, Sao Campinas, Rio de Janeiro and the capital city of Brasilia.

APEX would like to have two races in Brazil on back-to-back weekends next March but Angstadt believes it is “OK to have one great event next year” but the enthusiasm level from APEX is to have two in 2010.

“I have a pretty high confidence level we’ll have one race in Brazil, but not so sure about two,” Angstadt said. “I’m not so sure we need two.”

Sources within the IndyCar Series and at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway indicated the financial offer made by the Brazilians is too good to pass up and comes at time when the Indy Racing League could use some much-needed revenue to boost its budget.

But it may also send the wrong message to fans in the “heartland” of the United States who believe the sport of IndyCar has become too “foreign” for their tastes.

“Wherever I race, I’ll be excited to go to each event,” driver Danica Patrick said. “But, I think that it’s also important to think about your core audience and that’s here in America. To leave and go to another country and be in another time zone and miss the national news exposure, I think, is a risk, but I don’t really know the situation and there might be a lot of reward.”
Angstadt believes the upside to racing in Brazil outweighs the feelings of those who want to see IndyCar build its product in the United States.

“If you look at the availability of our races in the heartland we have a lot of choices for people,” Angstadt said. “We’d love for all those races to be sold out. Wouldn’t that be great? I really don’t think that is a fair objection from the heartland. If you look at a healthy economy, the number of drivers, the fact we run Brazilian ethanol in our cars and the TV ratings in Brazil, there are lots of good reasons to go to Brazil and it affords an economic model that is good for everyone.”

IndyCar is also being heavily courted by China to hold a race in its county at a proposed speedway that would feature both an oval race course and a road course that would seat 500,000 spectators. That would surpass the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as the largest sports arena in the world and could dwarf the Indianapolis 500 and its 350,000 fans that has been billed as the “world’s largest single-day sporting event.”

“It will be interesting to see if those early conversations or models hold up – I wouldn’t begin to build a race track that seats that many people but it’s not our money,” Angstadt said. “If they want the most spectacular race track in the world they (China) could probably build it. Their idea is an oval with a road course.We love the balance of a 50/50 blend on our schedule.”

The city under consideration is Qingdao, which hosted the Beijing Olympics sailing competition.

An announcement could come later this year. The 2010 IndyCar Series schedule is not expected to be announced until the end of July at the earliest.

HONDA MAY BE OPEN TO A SINGLE-ENGINE SUPPLIER FORMULA
The next meeting between the IndyCar Series and engine supplier Honda Performance Development is set for July 10 in Toronto before the July 12 Honda Indy Toronto, according to Terry Angstadt, president, commercial division of the IndyCar Series.

Sources within the IndyCar Series believe HPD has moved away from its stance of wanting a rival automaker to compete against and may see value remaining as a single-engine supplier to the series.

Last June, the IndyCar Series had an Engine Manufacturers Roundtable that was attended by automakers from throughout the world. German manufacturer Volkswagen showed the most interest in joining IndyCar and has even submitted plans for approval from its board of directors.

But while VW and Audi hold firm on their desire for an inline 4-cylinder turbocharged engine, HPD won’t yield from its desire to compete with a V-6 turbocharged engine.

According to Les Mactaggart, the senior technical director of the IndyCar Series, a decision needs to be made soon so the next phase of design and rules for such items as the new chassis can be made.

“We’re getting close,” Mactaggart said. “We need to know soon who is in and who is out and what kind of engine we will be using. I don’t think anyone believes an equivalency formula between an inline 4-cylinder and a V-6 would be ideal.”

With the current world economy, HPD may believe a single-engine supplier in IndyCar makes better financial sense than going to battle against another carmaker.

“I would like to think they see with unification some metrics and measurements going up and they have made a decision since that time to depart Formula One and they have been clear with us that we are their pinnacle form of motorsports,” Angstadt said. “As their top racing series I think there is more positive dialogue along those lines.”

When Robert Clarke was the head of HPD, he advocated competition among engine manufacturers. The program is now run by Erik Berkman, who may be taking a new look at remaining as the sole engine manufacturer – a role Honda has held since Toyota and General Motors left the series in 2005.

“I do know that we are all focused on driving the costs of participation down,” Angstadt said. “This is a very expensive engine; it was built for competition. As a sole supplier, you don’t need this kind of engine and the cost that is used to rebuild and maintain. I don’t think anyone is thinking of an equivalency formula at this stage. The final call on engine size has not been made yet but I think it would be next to impossible for us to run both an inline 4-cylinder and aV-6.”

Angstadt is not concerned that VW has yet to inform if they are in or out of IndyCar consideration because of the current state of the economy.

The new engine/car combination for the IndyCar Series was originally supposed to be in competition for the 2011 season but has been moved back to 2012 at the earliest.

ykiki
30th June 2009, 05:41
If Brazilians are willing to pay enough so the Series and teams make money on the deal, then I say "Let's go!"

gm99
30th June 2009, 10:04
“Wherever I race, I’ll be excited to go to each event,” driver Danica Patrick said. “But, I think that it’s also important to think about your core audience and that’s here in America. To leave and go to another country and be in another time zone and miss the national news exposure, I think, is a risk, but I don’t really know the situation and there might be a lot of reward.”

As all the venues mentioned are only one hour ahead of Eastern Time, that should not really be a problem, Danica.

As to the core audience, I would dare to say that the percentage of the Brazilian population who follows Indy Car (thanks to the likes of Castroneves, Kanaan, Meiro, Matos...) is higher than that of the U.S.

champcarray
30th June 2009, 17:11
Pursuing the mythical mid-western core audience has not done AOWR any favors. I believe they can be more accurately called "NASCAR fans." I'm all for a race in Brazil. Then again, I'd love to see IndyCar become a pan-Americas challenge, with races and drivers competing from South, Central, and North America, as well as the Caribbean.

elis
30th June 2009, 17:30
“Wherever I race, I’ll be excited to go to each event,” driver Danica Patrick said. “But, I think that it’s also important to think about your core audience and that’s here in America. To leave and go to another country and be in another time zone and miss the national news exposure, I think, is a risk

Well that kinda contradicts what I've heard coming out of indy car fans mouths.. the series gets national news exposure? Well who knew! :crazy:

I have no issues with Brasil for a race or 2, though I'd slightly question any venue that wasn't within 'close' reach of the people in the megatropolis' of Rio or SP, or even Brasila.

As for folks in the 'heartland' whinging about the 'foreign' events, get off your couches & support the myriad of events in your own back yard.. the copious amounts of aluminium at some of the events would indicate there's a lot of moaning but few are prepared to actually back the events they already have on their own turf, therefore they're really in no position to whinge about a race South of the border. ICS has had plenty of time to build its 'soley' US product, did it work? Nope, so now is the time for a new direction. I'm not talking a majority of races outside the US, but a couple of key ones, like Brasil, can only benefit. If the home support was there there'd be little need to go look eleswhere... ;) jmo

ykiki
30th June 2009, 17:44
As a fan outside of the "Heartland", do I count?

I live near Seattle and my "local" races in Vancouver and Portland have gone by the wayside. To me every race is on tv (I get ABC, ESPN & Versus in my standard cable package) so why should I care if it's in Brazil, Richmond or Iowa? A tv race is a tv race.

Sitting on the west coast, the time difference from Brazil doesn't mean anything either. So a Saturday night race would start at 4 PM instead of 5 PM? A Sunday race would start at 11 AM or Noon instead of Noon or 1 PM? I'd like to know who really is in this mythical "Heartland" demographic (aside from the offices of IMS) and how that compares to the rest of North America? Or Brazil?

FIAT1
30th June 2009, 19:57
Done that with better cars and drivers. Waste of time.

Lousada
30th June 2009, 22:42
So is this Champcar revisited? Going to whereever they pay the highest sanction fee to keep the series going for another year?

NickFalzone
1st July 2009, 05:49
Lousada, I agree that it sucks to have a race (or two races) in Brazil instead of at an American race track. However, I think if the question was 17 races without Brazil, or 18 races with it along with a lot of Brazilian money, then I can understand the decision. F1 appears to solely choose tracks based on who will pay the enormous sanctioning fee, they don't even seem to care if the at track attendance is pitiful like in Instanbul. But a lot of people still watched that race on TV. And with the similar time zone, personally I am kind of curious to see the Brazil race. At track attendance is important, but the bigger picture IMO is TV ratings, and the IRL having more races and in exciting venues (not necessarily US) may well play into better ratings.

Lousada
1st July 2009, 10:03
Lousada, I agree that it sucks to have a race (or two races) in Brazil instead of at an American race track. However, I think if the question was 17 races without Brazil, or 18 races with it along with a lot of Brazilian money, then I can understand the decision. F1 appears to solely choose tracks based on who will pay the enormous sanctioning fee, they don't even seem to care if the at track attendance is pitiful like in Instanbul. But a lot of people still watched that race on TV. And with the similar time zone, personally I am kind of curious to see the Brazil race. At track attendance is important, but the bigger picture IMO is TV ratings, and the IRL having more races and in exciting venues (not necessarily US) may well play into better ratings.

A race in Brazil gives the same problems CART and Champcar faced. That is US sponsors don't care for foreign races. This race is tucked away in some small town away from the big cities, it's not highprofile. This race has nothing to do with what the IRL was always supposed to be. How does this connect with a future plan the IRL is supposed to have?
Yes, F1 races where they get the biggest fees. But look at how much trouble they have keeping everybody in the same direction. They only keep it together because they are extremely popular. The IRL on the other hand has tv-ratings that sound like crowdnumbers.
This sounds too much like Champcar to me.

DanicaFan
1st July 2009, 12:15
Look at the obvious everyone, which Im suprised no one has mentioned this yet.

The only reason they are going to Brazil is because of the deal that the IRL made back in November of 2008 with Apex-Brasil to become its energy and trade partners with its ethanol products.

If this deal wasnt made, they wouldnt even be thinking of Brazil. I would much rather them go to an American oval. :)

Dr. Krogshöj
1st July 2009, 15:18
Or they should race at a Brazilian oval - unfortunately there is none.

Bob Riebe
1st July 2009, 17:59
Did they destroy the one CART used?

MDS
1st July 2009, 18:37

Actually that's not entirely accurate. Yes, the destroyed parts of the PK circuit at Rio that cart used, but Curbita and Brazila could both be run as flat ovals. A number of Brazilian road courses have flat, often oval-shaped, loops of asphalt around the outside that could be raced as an oval. With a little bit of engineering the PK circuit in Brazilia could be run as a flat, four-corner square course.

Technically they don't have any banked 1 - 2 mile ovals, but an oval race could be staged.

ykiki
1st July 2009, 22:50
So...do people really prefer that IndyCar tell Apex/Brasil "No thank you, we don't want your money"? What's next - are we in favor of telling Honda we don't need them or their money either and to take that time-zone killing Motegi race with them?? :hmph:

IndyCarFan
1st July 2009, 23:28
This sounds too much like Champcar to me.

I always cringe when I read things like that. Wake up. No offense and I'm not looking to start an argument but the IRL got assimilated and didn't even know it.

Foreign cars? Check.
Foreign engines? Check.
Looking to add more foreign engine manufacturers? Check.
Tires made by a foreign owned company? Check.
Foreign drivers make up large portion of starting grid? Check.
Foreign drivers winning most of the races? Check.
Foreign drivers winning the crown jewel race most of the time now? Check.
One of, if not the biiggest sponsorship deal the IRL has right now with foreign company? Check.
Adding more street and road courses to schedule? Check.
Have lots of CART/CC teams, including some owned by people that tried to kill IRL? Check.

I think Tony George became so obsessed with beating CART/CC that he turned the IRL into CART lite just to beat them. See my other post today regarding what the meaning of one sentance is. If the sisters are tired of losing money on the IRL and decide to sell the series one of the potential buyers could be the teams. If that happens almost instaneously this thing turns 180 degrees and it's 1995 all over again. The teams run the series and the family runs the speedway.

Except we will have lost 95% of the TV audience.
We will have lost a huge number of race fans.
Most of the successful races from back then aren't even on the schedule anymore.
And Tony will have 1 vote as a team owner, which he could have had in 1995 if he had just started a team.

It would be most ironic if that happens. Not saying it will but it could.

garyshell
1st July 2009, 23:52
I always cringe when I read things like that. Wake up. No offense and I'm not looking to start an argument but the IRL got assimilated and didn't even know it.

Foreign cars? Check.
Foreign engines? Check.
Looking to add more foreign engine manufacturers? Check.
Tires made by a foreign owned company? Check.
Foreign drivers make up large portion of starting grid? Check.
Foreign drivers winning most of the races? Check.
Foreign drivers winning the crown jewel race most of the time now? Check.
One of, if not the biiggest sponsorship deal the IRL has right now with foreign company? Check.
Adding more street and road courses to schedule? Check.
Have lots of CART/CC teams, including some owned by people that tried to kill IRL? Check.

Oh, lordy. Someone quick, run to downtowndeco's house and make sure he still has a pulse after reading this.

Gary