PDA

View Full Version : Old BTCC drivers

ATF
17th February 2007, 20:19
Just reading the GR thread got me thinking. Everyone talks about wanting the old stars like Menu, Rydell, Radisich back...

But there were so many drivers you thought were stars of the future but never made it - guys like Simon Harrison, Roger Moen, Toni Ruokonen, Gavin Pyper, Alan Morrison etc...

Whatever happened to any of these?

captin 1 VXR
17th February 2007, 20:56
simon working at silverstone now and then . roger moen went back to his home land do belive did a bit of rally cross and some touring car racing some where . alan morrison i belive is a driver couch . gavin pyper not sure about .

kmchow
17th February 2007, 21:00
I've been reading the Autosport Year in Reviews and thought about Lee Brookes, Collin Gallie. There should be enough older/more affordable S2000 cars that these guys could buy/race? Maybe not championship material, but it would be nice to see Collin Gallie race on a cost recovery basis?

captin 1 VXR
17th February 2007, 21:02
lee brooks to bizzy running his team and driver couching . so prob not a lot of time to get the overalls out of the wardrobe

reidy_fan
17th February 2007, 21:03
Lee Brookes owns Total Control Racing who run clio cup champions and the seat cupras. Doing quite well with 2 clio champs in the last 2 years hoping for a hat-trick

The mad monk
18th February 2007, 08:49
And I'm still around..........but most of you are too young to remember me!

captin 1 VXR
18th February 2007, 09:06
i have to say i rember you and i i rember right you caled mike smith a plonker at one meeting or was that mike newman ... oh no that was most of the drivers called him that lol.

also mad monk out of all of the drivers from 80 s and early 90 s who would u say was the best driver on driving merit only ..

Jimmy Magnusson
18th February 2007, 10:04
Moen & Vic Lee Racing did STCC in 2003 with the old BTC 406 Coupe - unsurprisingly it was a bit off the pace. Lately he's become a team boss running Peugeot 206'es in the Norwegian 206 Cup and in swedish JTCC (kind of like Super Production).

Ian McC
18th February 2007, 12:12
Money, that's why ;)

reidy_fan
18th February 2007, 13:04

I will take that as a compliment LOL then again I have been watching the btcc since i was about 5 and I am early 30's now LOL

Iain
18th February 2007, 23:57
alan morrison i belive is a driver couch

It's a shame he didn't get another few years at Arena. I thought he was part of the furniture there.

My earliest memory of the Mad Monk is when he was racing the RWD Cavalier back in 1990. :D Was that car as much of a dog as it was made out to be Chris?

BeeJ_UK
19th February 2007, 17:10

I rembember you just. Also rember you from last years end of season party at the Paddock bar. I was one of the people dressed in orange.

The mad monk
20th February 2007, 21:10
Ref:80/90 pure talent as 1 of the best,Jimmy Thompson(biased tho,i taught him!),Brancatelli,Hoshino(GpA in Japan,amazing older guy was winning in Formula Nippon at 45!),Ravaglia,Priaulx.
Reference the Cavalier :s trange one this;at the time,I was chief instructor at JimRussell school,along with Anthony Reid,Tommy Erdos,Richard Dean,Kelvin Burt and Warren Hughes....an impressive array of instructors in those days!We had the 1st Vauxhall Juniors and support from Vauxhall.Mike Nicholson(Vauxhall motorsport manager)linked me into the team to basically decide on 3x Cavalier specs,FWD,RWD,4WD,all built by Dave Cook.J Clelland was the favoured driver(his Dad was the team manager!!),and wanted to purely concentrate on the FWD car as it was known to be faster and basically he couldn't be arsed to test,especially as he had bought a nice new motorhome and wanted to use it a lot!Plus.....JC got himself a BIG problem:he had hiccups constantly for about 2 months(not nice)and was pretty off colour.
3 car test results:
FWD quick everywhere.
RWD:reasonable at Brands indy,slow at Oulton Park,equal at Snett.
4WD :s low everywhere,except in wet(obviously)
Conclusion:transmission losses too great to overcome advantages,especially when having to pull up gradients etc.
I ended up having to race the RWD car,flew at Snet,but I got a 'voice from God' over the radio to pull over and let JC past,or expect a considerable loss of salary!
Also B'Ham wasn't too bad,but I always got JC qualifying 'left over' tyres,never new ones!
Only a 6 race contract,but I could write a book I suppose.....

captin 1 VXR
20th February 2007, 21:19
arrrr so j c was also tight with his tyres as well as buying the first round lol

BT 96
20th February 2007, 21:37

I do remember Chris,

I worked for Mass racing developments we built the engine for the ice motorsport 405, you drove Chris, I still remember the test you did, pure quality it was. Shame nothing every came of it. Glad to here your helping the young guns Chris.

Would you like to race in the Btcc again Chris?

The mad monk
20th February 2007, 23:37
Nope,not the btcc,cars are too easy. Aussie V8's are REAL touring cars!just dont fit our UK environment perceptions,hence will not work in the UK.
Hustling one of those around Adelaide is pure class,some real talent over there.

cos
21st February 2007, 00:26
Would you like to race in the Btcc again Chris?

Looks like a job offer! Shame you don't want to come back Chris, sounds like you could show some of the grid a trick or two...

The mad monk
21st February 2007, 09:22
Hey,I haven't gone anywhere!and Stef needs the breaks now.

tyreman2
21st February 2007, 09:23
Looks like a job offer! Shame you don't want to come back Chris, sounds like you could show some of the grid a trick or two...
Of that their is no doubt!! completely agree with Chris about AussieV8's
Have been to Bathurst, Eastern Creek+Melbourne street race they are awesome!

CarlMetro
21st February 2007, 11:38
Gavin Pyper

Driver instruction at Thruxton.

21st February 2007, 12:14
I am an English guy and been living here in Budapest for 7 years. I have a 3 car team here in Hungary and each year we enter into the Clio cup championship here in Hungary. The cars are slightly different with manual gearbox but none the less exciting. I was full last year with UK drivers but this year as yet none signed up as they all got posted to other countries. I am looking for racers who want a different challenge and that feel they can beat the local drivers here! and at £2,000 per weekend for an arrive and drive package its value for money. flights from £60 return with easyjet and hotels from £25 per night. Can I interest you to come for a race at the famous HungaroringF1 track? Please look at my website and see for yourself and see the Ex champions that race here....
Jerry Halford
www.proaktivmotorsport.hu (http://www.proaktivmotorsport.hu/)
+36205790445

Iain
21st February 2007, 12:44
Driver instruction at Thruxton.

When was that Carl? He seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet since he last raced at the final rounds in 2004.

CarlMetro
21st February 2007, 14:05
Well he was certainly there a couple of years ago because he was my wifes instructor when she did an Elise experience, not sure about now though.

captin 1 VXR
21st February 2007, 21:31
what happened to mark goddard .. he went to asia to run a team and other stuff but never see again ... i re call him as i worked with him for little time and he was as mad a hatters and drove his road car ( mk2 astra gte in red ) like he was mad :eek: